Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

More wallowing in misery on Prime Time.....I mean almost salivating at a days increase in numbers over the weekend.
    Must be great for the planners of the program as they have not had to come up with a new script for almost a year.
    Thanks be to jaysus I caught it while flicking through channels! I can tell you it was an instant "click" on the doofer :D

Sorry now but don’t be so flippant, we had a fourth wave there over the weekend that lasted at least 24 hours. We must now bring this up at every opportunity for at least the next three weeks and justify us staying in lockdown possibly forever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Pubs won’t be open for another three months, discussion on The Tonight Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

33 year old male here with a congential heart condition. I've had two open heart surgeries and waiting for a third but due to COVID I have had appointments rescheduled throughout the last year because of this which I just can't get my head around.

My day consists of going for a run or a walk. No contact with friends and family, just immediate family. Haven't been to a shop etc because of my condition.

Pain in my bollix tbh. Yes I have an underlying heart condition but I still miss doing stuff like going to the gym, swim etc which is beneficial for my condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pubs won’t be open for another three months, discussion on The Tonight Show.

Yeah potentially June, its been rumoured for ages, nothing new.

gozunda wrote: »
    You mean if and when? :pac:

I see you haven't seen the UK tightening up its travel restrictions etc

Doesn't sound to promising tbh even though he says that's nothing changed with regard to the roadmap....

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-to-avoid-5000_uk_6059a290c5b6f12839d72a14?ncid=flipboard-HP

I said I'd be going into the UK, not out of it.

Travel from ROI requires no testing or isolating.

• Advertisement

LameBeaver wrote: »
    What makes you think they are immune?

I'm guessing the body of available data on T-cell immunity.

What makes you think they're not?

And if they're not, then by what mechanism do you think vaccination will make them so?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Young people don't get sick by and large and now that HCW, nursing homes and older people are vaccinated they are less likely to pass it on to somebody vulnerable. So I'll go for option A please.

Young people don't sick? You sure about that? Approx 50% of those admitted to hospital with covid are under 65.

And even if you don't get sick though can still infect others who may not be so lucky.

Tte whole point is keeping down the rate of infection and not playing covid roulette with friends and family.

A is the wrong answer I'm afraid

I said I'd be going into the UK, not out of it.

Travel from ROI requires no testing or isolating.

Didn't say otherwise!

You had said you were going there when restrictions were rolled back and as said - it increasingly looks more like an "if and when"
    It's relevant because far from being the land of promised rollback of restrictions- the government there are already tightening up the present ones and calling out that that rollback of restrictions now depend on several things including the risk of new variants.

Time will tell I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    it feels like a year though doesnt it

2 months limited to 5km may as well be a year

Ah...no.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Ronan Glynn can say what he wants...if the North, UK, scotland and wales have nightclubs open you can be sure we won't be making do with outside pints with a €9 meal.

They won't have nightclubs open any time soon.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    30,691,557 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have now been administered in the United Kingdom.

Add the 4,307,304 coronavirus cases since last March. Just under 35 million people now have a form of protection either with the Covid jab or antibodies.

52.3% of the UK population

There's no overlap between those that have already had the virus and those that have been vaccinated?

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    A big chunk of those excess deaths had more to do with lockdown policies rather than the actual virus. Its good to see that the UK is normalising - all excess death from this point onward will be the real human cost of the bizarre obsession with trying to suppress a virus at the cost of everything else.

Are they? It's still very restricted.

Yeah, and prisons have an exercise yard. Changes nothing.

You are comparing lockdown with being in prison now? Okay.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Read this in an article today

'Under level 5 restrictions, only takeaway food and drink is permitted from pubs and restaurants.

With level 4, outdoor dining of up to 15 people is allowed but indoor dining is forbidden.

Level 3 restrictions see the resumption of indoor dining, with restrictions easing at levels 2 and 1.'

Level 3 and we can have a pint indoors with Level 4 been outside dining. Expect to see modified levels 3/4 with Hospitality taking out because its too risky for NPHET esp in the hot summer months

Making stuff up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Penfailed wrote: »
    Are they? It's still very restricted.

I mean their excess deaths which was a negative for the first time yesterday. Their restrictions while having a roadmap out are still ridiculous. Boris and his bumbling sidekick Hancock are very lucky that their vaccine taskforce have done a good job - but as the feel good factor of people being vaccinated fades - they have questions to answer.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The UK will be relaxed and might even have a summer, we'll still be visiting one bubble within 5km.

The amount of pessimism in this thread is unreal...

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

LameBeaver wrote: »
    What makes you think they are immune?

Its a virus - once you have recovered you gain immunity. It works this way with every other virus. A tiny microscopic group of people with damaged immune systems might get chickenpox twice - but so small as to not matter.

If it works this way every other time and has for all of history, then you can be pretty dahm sure it also works this way for covid.

The media suggestions that we 'only know immunity for sure lasts six [now nine] months' is fear mongering nonsense - of course we only know it lasts for nine months, as thats how long its been around. In two years they could say that 'we only know for sure immunity lasts for 24 months'.

This is unethical market driven BS to scare people into considering booster shots and needless vaccines for recovered patients.

Any suggestion that this is a new class of virus that reinfects on anything other than a microscopic scale is antiscience and a conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I believe clearer communication from the government would ease a lot of it. This "a few more weeks" guff is getting really old really quickly. It's the same message since February and seems to completely ignore or gloss over the fact that vaccines have been rolled out to some of the most at risk people already.

There was a FG TD on VM last night talking about as yet unknown variants that mean we can't commit to a plan, such as when X amount are vaccinated we can go to level Y etc. That's a crazy message to be putting out at this time and completely counterproductive.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Young people don't sick? You sure about that? Approx 50% of those admitted to hospital with covid are under 65.

And even if you don't get sick though can still infect others who may not be so lucky.

Tte whole point is keeping down the rate of infection and not playing covid roulette with friends and family.

Are all that 50% admitted because of covid or caught it while on there for something else?

Eh???

No stop me if I'm going to fast...

They lift the 5km restrictions and groups of people can meet up as someone suggested earlier.

A group of 10 lads from Town A decide to head off together to meet up in a park in Town B with another group of 10 lads from Town C.

Thats travel between 3 different towns in 3 different countries for this example.

Town A has a very high incidence rate of Covid cases - more than three and a half times the national average
    Town B has a slightly lower incidence rate
    Town C has a very low incidence rate

While in Town B the lads hang out in the park as mates do with lots of messing. They all use the park toilets and later queue at Supermacs to get some snack boxes which they share amongst them.

What do think will happen in the above example?

A. They'll all be fine - they're just having the craic
    B. There's a significant risk that one or more of the above lads is going to catch covid from either one of his own mates, one of the other group of mates or from another source. But it will stop there
    C. There's a significant risk that one or more of the lads will catch covid from either one of his mates, one of the other group of mates or from another source and is going to go home and spread it to their family

The reality is that the 5 km limit helps to lower the spread of covid between different areas. People going to the beach, go hiking etc all tend to mingle with others and / or use shared facilities as other people on the move in that area. With the new varient being up to 70 times more transmissible- this is a very real problem.

No one is being 'punished. A limit on non essential travel is simply common sense during a pandemic.

Reading that lot makes me very very glad that I have completely ignored the travel restriction for most of this pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Cases have been stagnating for three weeks yet hospital numbers are down to 325, with 76 of those in ICU. If the current rate of decrease in ICU continues it should be approx. 60 by 5th April.

Is it expected we will see a surge in hospital admissions? Paddy’s day was 7 days ago and Mother’s Day 10 days ago - it’s possible, but if we don’t then surely we have a handle on it for now and ample room for more than a token relaxation of restrictions on 5th.

For comparison, at the end of April last year we had over 700 in hospital with 100 in ICU - yes this variant is more contagious but if it doesn’t translate into hospital increases in the next week then what is it we are waiting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

robbiezero wrote: »
    Are all that 50% admitted because of covid or caught it while on there for something else?

Or were admitted for something else but test positive on admission

Reading that lot makes me very very glad that I have completely ignored the travel restriction for most of this pandemic.

In what way exactly? Glad that some are ignoring restrictions the majority of the rest of us are adhering to because they seem to think they know better or?

And we wonder how kids in schools are bringing covid into the classrooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

JRant wrote: »
    I believe clearer communication from the government would ease a lot of it. This "a few more weeks" guff is getting really old really quickly. It's the same message since February and seems to completely ignore or gloss over the fact that vaccines have been rolled out to some of the most at risk people already.

There was a FG TD on VM last night talking about as yet unknown variants that mean we can't commit to a plan, such as when X amount are vaccinated we can go to level Y etc. That's a crazy message to be putting out at this time and completely counterproductive.

Yep, the messaging and communication is an absolute shambles.

It’s like breaking your leg and asking the doctor when do you think you will be able to walk again only to be told well we couldn’t possibly give you an estimate because you might break your other leg.

We might as well change the tag line from “living with COVID” to “arrah sure, we’ll see” at this stage.

Seriously?

The average of those catching covid in hospital over the first 12 months was just under 1% of all confirmed cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

Is there a reason to be positive? :D

Seriously?

The average of those catching covid in hospital over the first 12 months was just under 1% of all confirmed cases

Nice little switch of the denominator there Sir Humphrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

McConkey on his usual long Covid spiel on NT just now but rightly (and surprisingly) called out by Ciara for moving the goalposts - complete with loud sigh as she did so :D - and that the social contract wasn't to protect people from long covid, but to limit deaths and hospital overrun.

I wouldn't agree with her on many things but she's spot on here, as well as her earlier point that the daily obsession about case numbers (included media reporting in that) is only worrying people more and affecting mental health.

Fair play to her as well that she didn't give him the last word either.

Sobit1964 wrote: »

Its a trivial matter to gain some paperwork saying that you are travelling for essential reasons due to employment. This will only be asked for from overzealous gardai. Its a trivial matter to leave Ireland and setup elsewhere assuming you can WFH/online.

Yeah someone already tried that :pac:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-sunseekers-ridiculously-fake-19781112

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    McConkey on his usual long Covid spiel on NT just now but rightly (and surprisingly) called out by Ciara for moving the goalposts - complete with loud sigh as she did so :D - and that the social contract wasn't to protect people from long covid, but to limit deaths and hospital overrun.

I wouldn't agree with her on many things but she's spot on here, as well as her earlier point that the daily obsession about case numbers (included media reporting in that) is only worrying people more and affecting mental health.

Fair play to her as well that she didn't give him the last word either.

Cue some response in regards to Ciara that has nothing to do with COVID but will be generally a non positive comment because, well, thats how the thing goes on here when someone goes against the narrative.

"hmm, yer one Ciara, didnt she once kick a puppy in the face"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement