Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Hospital numbers in the UK have dropped below a thousand. A huge drop within a month

I can see them bringing forward their easing of restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If anything hes being cautious .

Will we go with cautiously optimistic?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

copeyhagen wrote: »
    so are your folks going to open their pub and restaurant now that they can?

or do they share your lockdown beliefs?

No, they won't be reopening until it's permitted by their local municipality.

Was that a deliberately stupid question or is it much funnier for you when the businesses/employees impacted have a familial connection to someone who understands why restrictions are necessary?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hospital numbers in the UK have dropped below a thousand. A huge drop within a month

How much has it dropped by?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Penfailed wrote: »
    I reckon Johnson's plan to have everything sorted by the 21st of June is very optimistic. Glastonbury was supposed to be happening the following weekend. I would point out that it's only the plan for England. The rest of the UK have been more cautious throughout all this.

From what I've read, it's because Glastonbury is basically just too big. It costs £25m each year to host, its hugely complicated in terms of logistics and that stage/site preparation begins in March usually. Apparently insurance companies are including exemptions for covid related cover so it could get to a case where they're £20m deep in April and then it gets cancelled and they're ****ed.

• Advertisement

Am going off what Varadkar tweeted ' Next week for the firs time more than 100k people will receive the vaccine. Rampup continues. In April it will be 250k a week'

That's along the lines of what I understood, around 1 million doses per month for April/May/June. I'm not so sure about the figures for March.

It would be interesting to see how many of those are the Pfizer vaccine and if there are any plans to go with the 1 shot approach for more people rather than the 2 in quick succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Stheno wrote: »
    How much has it dropped by?

18th January 39,244 covid patients in Hospital
    15th Febuary 20,958 covid patients in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ISOP wrote: »

But but but overcrowding in the hospitals

But but variants which are pretty deadly

But but vaccine supply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

PTH2009 wrote: »

But but vaccine supply

As I’ve said before, someone really needs to warn the UK about the UK variant

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ISOP wrote: »

Which one is correct today? It can't have dropped 20,000 in a week if the statement above that there are less than 1000 people in hospital?

• Advertisement

All this time I’ve been saying there is half a million out of work. I was very wrong!!!

It’s closer to 700000 when you factor in the live register.

Shocking numbers. A country in poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

5 km limit until May is ludicrous ... even the most hardened Lockdown fanatic can see how crazy that is, surely!!

id bet my house that rte are going to spin it as the uk sleepwalking into catastrophe and that we're the best boys in the class for staying within 5k while the british public get on with their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Stheno wrote: »
    Which one is correct today? It can't have dropped 20,000 in a week if the statement above that there are less than 1000 people in hospital?

Theres not been any numbers announced today (weekend lag I think) but on Friday were 1,304 people admitted, and 18,462 in hospital in total.

Poster might have mixed up Englands numbers which had 1,068 admitted on Friday and 14,142 in hospital in total. A long way off less than 1k in hospital.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

PTH2009 wrote: »

But but vaccine supply

Meanwhile in ireland...

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-may-be-redeployed-as-crowds-flock-to-beauty-spots-1084905.html

you couldn't write this ****

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

ypres5 wrote: »

They'll have some job keeping this up until May.

The same group of morons in Government/Nphet who think we can are the same who thought administering the Vaccine was a Mon-Fi 9 - 5 job!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m very interested to see how this will be spun tomorrow especially knowing Boris has told the public he intends on being restriction free by June. How can our lot reasonably justify not even having personal services open by then, knowing that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

I fear that we are doomed to repeat last year,very little to be open during the summer months even when cases are very low,then a small increase come the middle of august so can’t open pubs because we have to think of the schools.kick the can further down the road until end of October before some variant rears its head and vaccines are less effective against.
    And round we go again

I’m very interested to see how this will be spun tomorrow especially knowing Boris has told the public he intends on being restriction free by June. How can our lot reasonably justify not even having personal services open by then, knowing that information.

because a much larger proportion of our population won't be vaccinated?

Graham wrote: »
    because a much larger proportion of our population won't be vaccinated?

Our most vulnerable will be.

Our most vulnerable will be.

and compared to the proportion of the UK population that will be vaccinated, how does that look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

id bet my house that rte are going to spin it as the uk sleepwalking into catastrophe and that we're the best boys in the class for staying within 5k while the british public get on with their lives

That’s it -And we will all receive ‘well done cards’ And superman capes in the post too from our Government

and compared to the proportion of the UK population that will be vaccinated, how does that look?

Once the most the vulnerable are vaccinated the cases will be well down, as will hospitalisation numbers and ICU figures. We should be then looking to exit this mess at the first opportunity, not prolonging it until June when we still can’t go 5k from home but our overlords have allowed us to breathe fresh air in the park with one other person. Meanwhile our nearest neighbours are up and away thinking Covid who

Elessar wrote: »
    No sign of either the UK restrictions announcement or the positive Scottish vaccination study on RTE or The Irish Times websites.

Says it all really.

Once more an avalanche of blind thanks for something that is not just wrong, but easily verifiable

Once the most the vulnerable are vaccinated the cases will be well down, as will hospitalisation numbers and ICU figures. We should be then looking to exit this mess at the first opportunity, not prolonging it until June

So now you don't want to follow the UK approach?

You'd rather we reopened before a substantial percentage of the population is vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

aziz wrote: »
    I fear that we are doomed to repeat last year,very little to be open during the summer months even when cases are very low,then a small increase come the middle of august so can’t open pubs because we have to think of the schools.kick the can further down the road until end of October before some variant rears its head and vaccines are less effective against.
    And round we go again

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no reason or evidence for you to fear any of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

If Boris's grand reopening plan works we will have to follow very quickly. Will anyone on the border counties listen to a 5k limit when the pubs/shops are open across the road, i think not

If Boris's grand reopening plan works we will have to follow very quickly.

I'd be all for that.

Where do we get the vaccines to allow it to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Beyond impressed with the UK's exit strategy. Concrete dates, numbers, and most importantly hope. Clearly some thought went into this beyond the usual "next two weeks are crucial" nonsense.

If it works, the ROI will be under serious pressure to follow suit. The north will be mayhem otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I'd be all for that.

Where do we get the vaccines to allow it to happen?

Thats up to the government to sort out the vaccines but how will a lockdown work on border counties when your neighbour is open ? You might find the government /nphet criteria for opening or moving to level 3/4 will change fairly quick when the north opens. The UK's announcement has put serious pressure
    on our crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I think our new living with covid plan will be drenched in tippex after what the uks announced and the government try to reform a plan that doesn't put us 6 months behind. they might even have to show a little ambition
    It should be, but it won't.
    While Britain will be almost fully open by mid-June (according to their current plans), Ireland will be getting our newest lockdown timetable. Maybe Micheál Martin will increase our prison zone from 5 km to 6 km in June?

I read today in The Times (not the Irish Times, the one with the good quality journalism), that:
    "Nphet has told the government to keep the present level of lockdown until hospitals begin to reduce their record waiting lists and day care centres can reopen for older people and those with disabilities."
    What kind of insanity is that? Penalising the population further even if we are all vaccinated.

Meanwhile, the Irish Times are snitching on people who are breaking the 5km/10km restrictions; even publishing a table displaying the county by county breakdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement