Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

robbiezero wrote: »
    Nice little switch of the denominator there Sir Humphrey.

Jaysus the sport of goal post shifting is getting more popular all the time in these parts.

Your query
    robbiezero wrote:
    Are all that 50% admitted because of covid or caught it while on there for something else?

Hence my answer
    gozunda wrote:
    The average of those catching covid in hospital over the first 12 months was just under 1% of all confirmed cases

You can't simultaneously be admitted to a hospital and already be in the hospital at the same time unless you're a shape shifter or something I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

gozunda wrote: »

I didn't say you should fake a letter. Its perfectly possible to travel abroad within the silly rules that these jumped up bouncers are inflicting. I know because i've done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

In what way exactly? Glad that some are ignoring restrictions the majority of the rest of us are adhering to because they seem to think they know better or?

And we wonder how kids in schools are bringing covid into the classrooms?

Yes I know better.
    I know not to join up with 10 lads and meet another 20 lads from different towns and hang out.

I also know not to share facilities or mingle with randomers on a beach or hike (not idea what facilities I could share in a L5 lockdown anyway).

A year into this thing now, Not a hope am I obeying restrictions designed for gibbering simpletons.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

A year into this thing now, Not a hope am I obeying restrictions designed for gibbering simpletons.

So everyone in the country who are trying to stick by the restrictions are simpletons?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Boggles wrote: »
    So everyone in the country who are trying to stick by the restrictions are simpletons?

I think he is saying that people who don't understand nuance are simpletons. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

"Designed for gibbering simpletons" is what I said.

Yes I know better.
    I know not to join up with 10 lads and meet another 20 lads from different towns and hang out.

I also know not to share facilities or mingle with randomers on a beach or hike (not idea what facilities I could share in a L5 lockdown anyway).

I believe that epitaph is most fitting for those not observing restrictions because they think they know better

If you bother to read the relevant comments- its a sample scenario for the 5 km being lifted and groups of people allowed to meet up.

And the same people don't even have to hang out "with 10 lads". Plenty of " beach goers" or similar using shared facilities such as public toilets and service stations and everything in between on their travels. Ah sure it'll be grand lads :rolleyes:

I believe that epitaph is most fitting for those not observing restrictions because they think they know better

And the same people don't even have to hang out "with 10 lads". Plenty of " beach goers" or similar using shared facilities such as public toilets and service stations and everything in between on their travels. Ah sure it'll be grand lads :rolleyes"

Ah the old service stations argument again.

And the same people don't even have to hang out "with 10 lads". Plenty of " beach goers" or similar using shared facilities such as public toilets and service stations and everything in between on their travels. Ah sure it'll be grand lads :rolleyes"

Epitaph :D:D:D:D

Jaysus the sport of goal post shifting is getting more popular all the time in these parts.

Your query

Hence my answer

You can't simultaneously be admitted to a hospital and already be in the hospital at the same time unless you're a shape shifter or something I would imagine

Ok, lets try without the pedantry.
    How many (or percentage) people under 65 without underlying conditions are in hospital solely because of Covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Exactly, so if people are obeying these rules they are effectively gibbering simpletons or weak minded and afraid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

Penfailed wrote: »
    The amount of pessimism in this thread is unreal...

Hardly surprising though, when so many of those making pessimistic predictions also appear to be already flouting the rules or promoting their flouting which will contribute towards realising the outcome they claim they don't want to see. Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

JRant wrote: »
    I believe clearer communication from the government would ease a lot of it. This "a few more weeks" guff is getting really old really quickly. It's the same message since February and seems to completely ignore or gloss over the fact that vaccines have been rolled out to some of the most at risk people already.

There was a FG TD on VM last night talking about as yet unknown variants that mean we can't commit to a plan, such as when X amount are vaccinated we can go to level Y etc. That's a crazy message to be putting out at this time and completely counterproductive.

I heard that TD last night, what drivel.

Worried about a unknown variant that may or not happen.
    No wonder we are in the place we are if that's the thinking in the government parties.

Only got the last of Michael McDowell on NT but his last contribution was common sense in a nutshell.

No just one of the examples. You seemed blissfully unaware of what 'shared facilities " means.

Hence
    Plenty of " beach goers" (as you referred to) or similar using shared facilities such as public toilets and service stations and everything in between on their travels. Ah sure it'll be grand lads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yes I know better.

This is the thing.

People seem to have this simplistic belief that moving outside the 5k is an issue leading to more infections etc when its not, its what people are doing whether they are within their 5k or not.

If a group of people want to go to a house party, visit another town, meet up with 20 or 30 others it doesnt matter if theres a 5k or 500m restriction, theyre going to do it anyway. Its not stopping them. In my local town i know of at least 15 different ways i can get into that town. If i wat to get into town to a house party, i can and will.

People arent staying within 5k but also arent taking risks in general and those that do take risks and and partake in the behaviour thats actually an issue are doing so anyway so whats the point in fining those people who arent causing an issue for example.

For example i bring my kids to the beach for a walk with the dog most weekends, outside my 5k but literally just us as a family on our own with no risk. On Paddys Day we done the same, went down early done our walk and when it got dark again i brought the kids for a drive to see the various landmarks lit up green.

Both times breaking the 5k restriction yet i know of at least 2 house parties that happened within my 5k.

All the 5k does is simply punish and hinder the vast majority of people who are in reality doing nothing to cause alarm.

But of course the whole messaging these days seems to be ignore the big issues and publically shame and batter the small issues as was evidenced last week when the whole country was seeing the images of the huge traveller funerals and weddings yet who did our health experts call out for their behaviour??? Little old woman who visited her dying brother in a moment of weakness through grief.

And of course that was defended on here cos thats what we have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Exactly, so if people are obeying these rules they are effectively gibbering simpletons or weak minded and afraid?

Would you stop trying to bog him down in your ludicrous pedantry and maybe address the actual point he made?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

the kelt wrote: »

People seem to have this simplistic belief that moving outside the 5k is an issue leading to more infections etc when its not, its what people are doing whether they are within their 5k or not.

Or people understand that increased movement = increased spread of the virus.

Again. Not rocket science.

I'm out. I know you can spend the day over and back on this sort of nonsense, but I can't. Have a nice day.

Ok, lets try without the pedantry.
    How many (or percentage) people under 65 without underlying conditions are in hospital solely because of Covid?

Seriously yet another goal post relocating exercise and now bizarrely asking for a figure for those "without underlying conditions are in hospital solely because of Covid" :D

Btw that had nothing to do with your previous question btw
    robbiezero wrote:
    Are all that 50% admitted because of covid or caught it while on there for something else?

Maybe Google it?

No just one of the examples. You seemed blissfully unaware of what 'shared facilities " means.

Hence

Yes, you are probably right. I have been hiking and going to beaches and forest walks and hill climbing etc almost since the start of the pandemic.

I have no idea what sort of shared facilities I am supposed to be using to do that.
    I'm not doing any dogging if thats what you are talking about.

• Advertisement

Epitaph :D:D:D:D

Ah robbie. That's an E minus there. :pac:

You do know the word "epitaph" has more than one meaning?

From the online dictionary
    epitaph

/ˈɛpɪtɑːf,ˈɛpɪtaf/
    noun

A. a phrase or form of words written in memory of a person who has died, especially as an inscription on a tombstone.

B. something by which a person, time, or event will be remembered.

So yes its B.

so why would you struggle to adhere to them?

Graham wrote: »
    Or people understand that increased movement = increased spread of the virus.

Again. Not rocket science.

Not really though, as per my point its your actions that cause the spread. That and population density etc

You can travel as much as you want but if you dont come in contact with people your not going to spread it or get it. Masks again reduce the spread as does sanitizing etc, its not rocket science. I can drive from here to Galway and back and not affect spread

Someone in dublin city centre can walk out as far as UCD and back and come in contact with more people in one morning within their 5k than i have in total this year whilst walking on the beach outside my 5k

Seriously yet another goal post relocating exercise and now bizarrely asking for a figure for those "without underlying conditions are in hospital solely because of Covid" :D

Btw that had nothing to do with your previous question btw

Maybe Google it?

Your quote.
    Approx 50% of those admitted to hospital with covid are under 65.

My question.
    How many (or percentage) of people under 65 without underlying conditions are in hospital solely because of Covid?

Sorry if you can't see any relation between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is it fair to say that Covid has massively increased waiting lists and is destroying the economy for a disease that will kill less than 1% of the population with the majority being people near or above life expectancy

Is it fair to say that the economy is what provides money for the health services which you would imagine the funding is going to be greatly cut over the next few years

So we will have increased waiting lists and funding cuts which will cause deaths and for all ages and then factor in suicide

I have no idea but is it possible in the long run the countries reaction to Covid will cause more deaths than Covid itself

the kelt wrote: »
    You can travel as much as you want but if you dont come in contact with people your not going to spread it or get it. Masks again reduce the spread as does sanitizing etc, its not rocket science.

Your problem is the people that are moving around and (deliberately) coming into contact with other people.

But for those, I doubt we'd still have the current level of restrictions.

Because there is no need.

Ah robbie. That's an E minus there. :pac:

You do know the word "epitaph" has more than one meaning?

From the online dictionary

So yes its B.

Not a hope am I obeying restrictions designed for gibbering simpletons.

B. something by which a person, time, or event will be remembered.

Nah. You meant A. Hard luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Speaking of 'gibbering simpletons' some people don't know what 2 feet is, never mind 2 metres. I drop my son to school every day and we are told to stand with them until the gates are open. The amount of parents who seem incapable of standing any further than a foot or two apart from other adults is shocking.

Of all the things we are asked to do, standing 2 metres apart must be the easiest to do!

• Advertisement

Your problem is the people that are moving around and (deliberately) coming into contact with other people.

But for those, I doubt we'd still have the current level of restrictions.

Yes but thats my point!

People who are moving about and deliberately coming into contact arent causing problems by moving about, theyre causing the problems by their actions.

And as i said previously those people deliberately coming into contact with people are doing so anyway, it doesnt matter if its 5k or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement