Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

That’s fantastic news and certainly speaks to vaccine efficacy worries amongst the elderly that many of us had.

Yeah you cant get it if youre dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Surely you can expand a bit more on that ? :)

I wouldn't be expecting much more than the standard one liner and emoji of the day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

What is this new variant that is in the news? Is it made up so that restrictions won’t be lifted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

AlekSmart, cop on with the muppetry and trolling with those last links I have now deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I posted in the other thread about this aswell but I'm happy with the pop up testing centres becoming available, if only to catch cases that might fall through the cracks.

Last Friday a colleague of mine fell ill while I was working with him and has since tested positive. Because our desks are two metres apart, I am not considered a close contact even though we breathe the same air all day. My GP told me that unless I develop symptoms, they can't arrange a test for me.

I live with a very vulnerable person with COPD and my family home is quite crowded. If I am walking around asymptomatic with covid, I am unknowingly putting six other people at risk just in my home. And three of those people go to work every day, so you can imagine the exponential infections that could spread simply for me not knowing I'm infected.

I'm going to one of the pop up centres tomorrow when they open. If I'm negative, I am reassured that my colleague didn't infect me and I have peace of mind.

If I'm positive, I know I need to take steps to isolate myself and get my family to restrict their movements.

Like other posters said, there will likely be hypochondriacs going to these centres as well (nothing to be done about that) but I'm grateful there is now an option for situations like mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tells him to please keep his miracles to himself, the suggestion wasn't helpful as it only served to confuse the message and so would be distinctly unhelpfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I can't get my head around some people not understanding that finding and isolating cases helps reduce transmission, and ergo helps reduce the need for restrictions.

How, after all this time, is this still an alien concept to you?

:rolleyes: Yeah - seems to be working great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

RobitTV wrote: »

no reason why click and collect cant be opened.

NPHET have become the Catholic Church of OLE
    and instead of the GOVT doing their job they have tasked that job to NPHET
    who have lost their mind with figures and statistics and forgot the actual human beings behind all of that.

• Advertisement

Five pop up walk in centres now ffs

If you have symptoms you’re asked not to go to these centres.

Anyone would think their trying to find more cases. Not long ago in January we couldn’t even test close contacts but that didn’t matter we had enough cases at the time.

Now the numbers are dropping we want to find more. What the hell is gonig on in this country. What’s the big need to hold onto covid cases here ...

The shambles from testing,tracing and vaccination continues unabated.

Apparently they want to understand "how the virus is spreading".

Which would first require them to establish that asymptomatic spread actually occurs and make sure they're using tests that are not prone to producing false positives. My money's on them having done neither of these things.

Here is what some of the Spanish restrictions look like in Malaga - there is life on the streets of Spain with people sitting outside cafes and bars.

And we are still debating 'click and collect' services in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I can't get my head around some people not understanding that finding and isolating cases helps reduce transmission, and ergo helps reduce the need for restrictions.

How, after all this time, is this still an alien concept to you?

I can't get my head around how it certainly seems to be an alien concept to NPHET.

- de Gascun told us last July we had the infrastructure in place to support quickly tracing clusters and isolating them, which would avoid the need for future nationwide lockdowns.
    - Nolan told us last September that retrospective contact tracing beyond 48 hours, which would be necessary for this, is 'an academic exercise' and we didn't have the resources for it. Even though we were closing tracing centres last summer because with only a dozen cases a day there wasn't enough work for them.
    - Glynn told us a couple weeks ago that NPHET had been pushing for retrospective contact tracing since last August. Which is odd since the chair of the Epidemiological Modelling group dismissed it a month after that. Plus I don't remember hearing any NPHET member ever publicly push for it. And August is also about two months after they should have been pushing for it, not sure why Glynn thinks they deserve a pat on the back for that.

Whether one or more of them is lying or just incompetent isn't really relevant, we're still left without the key effective means of properly containing transmission. And the charlatans continue to get paid while the general public pay the price through lockdowns and job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Shot:

KwF0fXC.jpg

Chaser:

E6OaSoU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

One test is far better than the other.

Somehow people see that as a conspiracy.

683 new cases tonight, just as NPHET delay making a decision about the relaxation of a very small amount of restrictions on April 5th.

The government are going to tie themselves in knots if NPHET advise against the relaxation of restrictions. The government are highly unlikely to go against what they say.

Now that we are back up to 683 new cases tonight, I'm not expecting good news from NPHET moving forward to April 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ian Guider on Matt Cooper talking about Aer Lingus locating its transatlantic flights to Manchester.

Said they have to do it, otherwise they will fold waiting for an plan from the Irish government/NPHET.

The rest of Europe is planning its tourist season this year, after a successful tourist season last Summer.

The biggest delusion some Irish are suffering from is that they believe we’ve taken the same approach as the other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

683 new cases tonight, just as NPHET delay making a decision about the relaxation of a very small amount of restrictions on April 5th.

The government are going to tie themselves in knots if NPHET advise against the relaxation of restrictions. The government are highly unlikely to go against what they say.

Now that we are back up to 683 new cases tonight, I'm not expecting good news from NPHET moving forward to April 5th.

They know they will face uproar if they don't ease some of the restrictions and buy themselves another month or so of whatever public buy-in they still have.

They know by now if they don't ease any then they'll well and truly lose the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Ian Guider on Matt Cooper talking about Aer Lingus locating its transatlantic flights to Manchester.

Said they have to do it, otherwise they will fold waiting for an plan from the Irish government/NPHET.

The rest of Europe is planning its tourist season this year, after a successful tourist season last Summer.

The biggest delusion some Irish are suffering from is that they believe we’ve taken the same approach as the other EU countries.

Yeah and the pro-lockdown fanatics really have zero understanding of economics and the long-term damage this will do to the country, they're so tunnel-visioned on Covid and have built it up to be something it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Tbh I assumed bookstores were allowed open for click and collect once schools were open.
    And went to my local dunnes today, mixed clothes and food store.
    Most of the men’s clothing was open, only a bit of the ladies clothing and all of the kids and homeware were open.
    Definitely book stores should be open for click and collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

They open 5 walk in clinics for the period of one week. ONE Week. It's as if they are trying to catch as many cases as possible in the run up to the next restriction announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Idjit wrote: »
    I posted in the other thread about this aswell but I'm happy with the pop up testing centres becoming available, if only to catch cases that might fall through the cracks.

I sympathise with you regarding this, but the problem here is, you should have always been able to get a test with your scanerio.... the fact a gp wouldn’t refer you is diabolical and NPHET have a lot to answer for with stopping testing in those circumstances!

All these pop up test centres will be good for is drawing out every hypochondriac in the country dying to test positive so they can post it on Facebook! Meanwhile the rest of us suffer because NPHET will use the same results to keep screwing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No need to be alarmed, its just transitioning to vegan. Parts of the brain are slowly dying off due to nutrient deficiency triggering apoptosis, hence the random firings. It will stop in a couple of years and will look perfectly normal from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

75% of cases under 45 years of age.
    99% of those cases will be fine.

Hospital numbers are down.

Drive on, young people happy to get it and open up to f**k.

Unfortunately I agree with you though, the clowns that NPHET/government are will likely use this as an excuse to restrict our lives

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I sympathise with you regarding this, but the problem here is, you should have always been able to get a test with your scanerio.... the fact a gp wouldn’t refer you is diabolical and NPHET have a lot to answer for with stopping testing in those circumstances!

All these pop up test centres will be good for is drawing out every hypochondriac in the country dying to test positive so they can post it on Facebook! Meanwhile the rest of us suffer because NPHET will use the same results to keep screwing us.

I spent Christmas day on my own and missed out on the brief social window at Christmas because I had some potential symptoms a week beforehand but was told I didn't meet the criteria for a test. I wasn't going to take a chance on infecting friends just before Christmas so cancelled plans.
    The daily numbers then were the same as they are now yet now they're actively looking for people with zero symptoms to test?

No doubt the 683 cases tonight will be the source of much hand-wringing and the first signalling of no relaxing of restrictions. Ignoring the fact that they were 365 yesterday. And that every Tuesday for the past month has had a sharp drop followed by a sharp rise on the Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

11521323 wrote: »
    They know they will face uproar if they don't ease some of the restrictions and buy themselves another month or so of whatever public buy-in they still have.

They know by now if they don't ease any then they'll well and truly lose the majority.

Do you think they will open up much though?

On your final point, I actually felt that would happen after the start of this current phase but bar a few protests did they face much uproar? And will that change after 5th April?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It may not be advisable to post links to News outlets favoured by the great unwashed....the lower caste's even,however you can bet the farm on our NPHET experts milking it for all it's worth if they can :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Riodej1578 wrote: »
    Do you think they will open up much though?

On your final point, I actually felt that would happen after the start of this current phase but bar a few protests did they face much uproar? And will that change after 5th April?

The mood among the public is changing and people are looking for a roadmap out of this and not the waffle, we are not there yet crap coming from government.
    The big problem the only restriction we can break is the 5km one as non essential retail and other businesses are closed.

Hard to predict what will be relaxed on the 5th. Theres been leaks, kite flying about various eased restrictions but I would expect outdoor sports, 5km limit out to 10km, (which is not enough) and a possible phased return to construction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement