Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thats up to the government to sort out the vaccines but how will a lockdown work on border counties when your neighbour is open ? You might find the government /nphet criteria for opening or moving to level 3/4 will change fairly quick when the north opens.

ok this is the part I don't get.

Unless the UK decide to be incredibly neighbourly and send a bunch of vaccines our way I don't see how our vaccinations will run anywhere near the timelines as the UKs.

I guess we might be able to opt-out of the EU program and attempt a free for all vaccine bidding war against our larger EU neighbours. Not sure how well that would work out.

Or are you suggesting we only copy the UK dates and ignore the fact they they plan to have everyone over 18 offered a vaccine by the end of July?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,651 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Graham wrote: »

Where do we get the vaccines to allow it to happen?

Surely NPHET should answer that !!!

Given they are dictating how we live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Re the passport thing, there were people on here over the weekend stating that it's still possible to get one for "essential" reasons. We'll it isn't. Despite the articles claiming that they can expedite passports for citizens living abroad who need one for visa purposes, this is a complete lie. I am in this situation and have been on to the consulate today asking about it. Its a categorical no, they cant do it. So why are they lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Ronan glynn at the briefing this evening and I quote
    "Our collective efforts move us closer to the continued re opening of our schools and the resumption of non covid healthcare services."

No mention of re opening the economy which puts his fecking wages. So NPHET wont release us till they are satisfied about health care the HSE have ignored for years.

The government really need to grow some balls and put out a plan that mirrors the plan boris issued. Hard to believe I'm suggesting we follow boris, that's how low are government have fallen in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

Do we think that there is any chance of construction opening up anytime soon? Surely with the amount of time that was used to speak about housing and homelessness of the past few years the opening of construction for homes should be a priority?

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    Surely NPHET should answer that !!!

Given they are dictating how we live now.

So you're saying it's NPHETs fault we can't speed up vaccine supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

ok this is the part I don't get.

Unless the UK decide to be incredibly neighbourly and send a bunch of vaccines our way I don't see how our vaccinations will run anywhere near the timelines as the UKs.

I guess we might be able to opt-out of the EU program and attempt a free for all vaccine bidding war against our larger EU neighbours. Not sure how well that would work out.

Or are you suggesting we only copy the UK dates and ignore the fact they they plan to have everyone over 18 offered a vaccine by the end of July?

No one is suggesting anything, the government are paid enough to do that. The fact here is that the government plan for tomorrow is now in tatters and no use to them anymore. What Boris has announced will result in our crowd having to act more professionally and get everything open quicker.

So you're saying it's NPHETs fault we can't speed up vaccine supply?

Given they are dictating our daily life , yes its NPHET/HSE job to procure adequate vaccines .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Again, Johnson's timetable isn't the UK plan. It's England's plan.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'd say the Irish Government and NPHET are fuming over the announcements in the UK today...weren't the UK supposed to be the laughing stock over the last few years, Brexit and all that....

We'll be sending yet another generation of our best and brightest over there in the coming months...god I'm embarrassed to be Irish more often than not these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Penfailed wrote: »

Shhhhhhh...... I want to see the confusion when they get off the enterprise in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

RGS wrote: »
    Ronan glynn at the briefing this evening and I quote
    "Our collective efforts move us closer to the continued re opening of our schools and the resumption of non covid healthcare services."

No mention of re opening the economy which puts his fecking wages. So NPHET wont release us till they are satisfied about health care the HSE have ignored for years.

The government really need to grow some balls and put out a plan that mirrors the plan boris issued. Hard to believe I'm suggesting we follow boris, that's how low are government have fallen in my estimation.

the tories might be arseholes but at the same time they're not dumb and they're not cowards. they knew that if they let a houlihan like figure big dog them the way the government here have they'd be in the same position as us enforcing 5k limits on travel and rambling about new variants

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Do we think that there is any chance of construction opening up anytime soon? Surely with the amount of time that was used to speak about housing and homelessness of the past few years the opening of construction for homes should be a priority?

April apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

DubLad69 wrote: »

Can't see it happening before schools are done and dusted. I'd be beyond miffed if I was set to move into a new build... Another few months pi$$ing money away on rent as opposed to paying down the mortgage.

It's going to be even more of a shambles trying to get any small jobs done then too with the amount of pent up demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cant see the UK affecting our glouirous farce of a plan but i really hope it's a wake up call

Enough is Enough at this stage

Penfailed wrote: »

Northern Ireland are been reviewed on the 18th of March, they will not be far behind England

No one is suggesting anything, the government are paid enough to do that. The fact here is that the government plan for tomorrow is now in tatters and no use to them anymore. What Boris has announced will result in our crowd having to act more professionally and get everything open quicker.

So you have no idea at all how we could increase the vaccine supply but the government should magic up millions of vaccines from somewhere or just reopen the economy regardless?

What Boris has done (remarkably well) is bought the UK out of the pandemic. Fair play to him too I genuinely hope it works. It certainly looks promising.

We're not in a position to do that unless we want to threaten the supplies already allocated to us while simultaneously launching a bidding war against countries with much bigger budgets and much deeper pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Shhhhhhh...... I want to see the confusion when they get off the enterprise in Belfast.

i think it's more down to the fact that people often say uk even when they're just referring to just England but nitpickers gotta nitpick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

RTÉ's attempt at downplaying the U.K. reopening plan on Drive Time with Sarah McInerney and Boucher Hayes is laughable if it wasn't so serious. But but...what about the variants? Is this too fast? Can someone please find us a hole to poke in these positive plans for the love of God...pathetic stuff.

Independent also peddling Tomás Ryan BS statement re schools as their main headline. A neuroscientist who's also a Zero Covid extremist given airtime on RTÉ and pushed by the Independent. No voices of reason to be heard on this side of the Irish sea unfortunately.

Just came on to post pretty much the same spiel except this was Matt Cooper's show this evening. He had two idiots on, again didn't catch their names nor do I care 'cos everyone seems to be an expert on these radio miseryfests.

One of the rambling idiots was asked did he think the vaccines would end this, no he said because the Brazilian variant is not covered by the vaccine. No evidence presented nor was he asked to explain himself. Just free rein to spout the usual bullsh1t.

The other idiot laughed at the UK's optimism and dismissed their timeline. He also said Boris is rolling the dice to save his career after the huge numbers they had last year.

So all in all, a cheerful drive home.

Matt Cooper rivaling Claire Byrne for the virtue signaller of the year. He has a texter ranting at him for not questioning the guests and he replied in a pretty angry manner, he said "we can't pretend these aren't issues, I don't want to lead listeners astray". Coming out with that after letting two morons ramble on unabated was pretty ironic.

So you have no idea at all how we could increase the vaccine supply but the government should magic up millions of vaccines from somewhere or just reopen the economy regardless?

What Boris has done (remarkably well) is bought the UK out of the pandemic. Fair play to him too I genuinely hope it works. It certainly looks promising.

We're not in a position to do that unless we want to threaten the supplies already allocated to us while simultaneously launching a bidding war against countries with much bigger budgets and much deeper pockets.

You seam very appologetic of our vaccine procurement program, someone is responsible for our sluggish procurement and rollout of vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

If Boris's grand reopening plan works we will have to follow very quickly. Will anyone on the border counties listen to a 5k limit when the pubs/shops are open across the road, i think not

We dont have to follow anyone.

We will be not far behind them. People will proably cross the border but we will still wait another month ro that to open.

We cant vacinate at the same rate as the UK. We will be vaccinated 250k a week in April. We will be out of this come July. Stop whinging.

why are you going on about me telling the government where to source vaccines ?? What am i saying is that the criteria for reopening will change dramatically/lessen when NI opens and that is a fact - there is no way around it.
    Do you think we should stay shut until the whole country is vaccinated ? having over 70s vaccinated and coming into warmer months should aloow us to move to a much lower level without the pressure being on sourcing vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

peterc1991 wrote: »
    We dont have to follow anyone.

We will be not far behind them. People will proably cross the border but we will still wait another month ro that to open.

We cant vacinate at the same rate as the UK. We will be vaccinated 250k a week in April. We will be out of this come July. Stop whinging.

Why would they cross the boarder?

It's the plan for England, not Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

You seam very appologetic of our vaccine procurement program, someone is responsible for our sluggish procurement and rollout of vaccines.

The EU. We have one of the best rates in the world.
    Its felt slow enough so far but we are picking it up now.

So given our size and lack of homegrown vaccines how would you have approached vaccine procurement differently.

Should we have gone toe-to-toe with France/Germany/Italy/US? Night raids on vaccine manufacturing facilities?

Genuinely curious to know. :)

peterc1991 wrote: »
    The EU. We have one of the best rates in the world.
    Its felt slow enough so far but we are picking it up now.

Hopefully , but its slow , Denmark is in the EU and they hope to vaccianate everyone by June - same size country as us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 MethMartin

I’m very interested to see how this will be spun tomorrow especially knowing Boris has told the public he intends on being restriction free by June. How can our lot reasonably justify not even having personal services open by then, knowing that information.

They'll blame it on variants while saying 'cautious' a hundreds of times.

Night raids on vaccine manufacturing facilities?

Genuinely curious to know. :)

You seam so smug with our vaccination program - Probably content to lockdown until September.
    Maybe look at theDenmark model.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You seam so smug with our vaccination program - Probably content to lockdown until September.

What is the denmark model?

• Advertisement

You do know the Denmark model is full of holes? Correct?
    If this, and if that, then everyone will be vaccinated real soon.
    Their plan includes a vaccine that has not yet been approved, and everything other delivery arriving as promised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement