Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

copeyhagen wrote: »
    let me rephrase that, theyre in Barcelona or Madrid.

when theyre allowed open their pub this week or next, wil lthey open? and whats your opinion on that>? with cases still higher than ours?

I'm not going to confirm the location but I can tell you they will be opening in absolutely accordance with local/national restrictions.

If the rules state no service at the bar, tables minimum 2m apart, 2 customers from the same household per table, closing at 6pm, then that's exactly how hospitality will operate.

Hospitality businesses know there will be regular visits from Guardia Civil/Guardia Civil/Policía Nacional/Municipal. Any breaches of the current regulations will result in closure of the premises for up-to 3 years and a substantial fine.

Unlike here, Spain doesn't really go in for the notion of 'policing by consent'. The approach to compliance oft lauded on this thread would not end with a funny video anecdote to post on Facebook afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Graham wrote: »
    I'm not going to confirm the location but I can tell you they will be opening in absolutely accordance with local/national restrictions.

If the rules state no service at the bar, tables minimum 2m apart, 2 customers from the same household per table, closing at 6pm, then that's exactly how hospitality will operate.

Hospitality businesses know there will be regular visits from Guardia Civil/Guardia Civil/Policía Nacional/Municipal. Any breaches of the current regulations will result in closure of the premises for up-to 3 years and a substantial fine.

Unlike here, Spain doesn't really go in for the notion of 'policing by consent'. The approach to compliance oft lauded on this thread would not end with a funny video anecdote to post on Facebook afterwards.

ok, so thats fair enough. they will be allowed open this week or next, and they will, to keep their business afloat etc.

meanwhile, your own Countries pubs arent allowed open until who knows when, and your in favour of them being kept closed with the possiblity of them losing their business. while our case numbers are lower than theirs.

ok gotcha, thanks for clarifying that, remind me to ignore everything that comes out of your mouth from now on.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    meanwhile, your own Countries pubs arent allowed open until who knows when, and your in favour of them being kept closed with the possiblity of them losing their business. while our case numbers are lower than theirs.

Perhaps if our approach to compliance was more like the Spanish model, we too could relax restrictions sooner.

I'm not sure our regulars already referring to Ireland as a 'police state' could cope to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Any talk of easing the 5km distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

eeepaulo wrote: »

It said on the news that that's likely to remain for March and April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Penfailed wrote: »
    They haven't followed them at any stage. The DUP haven't followed them for many things (abortion, same sex marriage, etc., etc.) and SF are an all-Ireland party that would be more inclined to follow Dublin. I do hope it works out too though.

In fairness I think the DUP's faith based rejections of Gay marriage and abortion aren't exactly comparable.

With half a million vaccinated up there already I don't see them twiddling their thumbs staying locked down for no reason.

Sinn Fein will choose the populism route as always and support opening up (as public opinion is beginning to lean than way).

I hope I'm right, because even if we aren't doing as well, I'd rather see success somewhere.

eeepaulo wrote: »

We will hopefully have a better idea tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Bunch of absolute morons. 3-4 more weeks to sort out hotel quarantine. Absolutely pathetic stuff, in the meantime Brazilians can waltz in and it’s basically up to their own goodwill whether they quarantine at home or not.
    Govt aren’t going to be able to keep a lid on the anger much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Summer2020 wrote: »
    Bunch of absolute morons. 3-4 more weeks to sort out hotel quarantine. Absolutely pathetic stuff, in the meantime Brazilians can waltz in and it’s basically up to their own goodwill whether they quarantine at home or not.

It's a year too late. And this new found hate of Brazilians won't free the world of covid.

Vaccines are here, time to move on and plan for the future rather than get angry about what we could have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

It’s truly pathetic. I wish I could vote in a foreign government

Trump for Taoiseach !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Look at May even - international travel on the 17th May - I might just book my holiday and fly out through Belfast!!!

Erm Hellrazer you might want to read the UK spiel.again :pac:

"International travel possible"
    "The government will determine when international travel should resume, which will be no earlier than 17 May,”

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-travel/uk-foreign-travel-curbs-to-stay-until-at-least-mid-may-idUSKBN2AM22X

The infographic has a number of similar qualifiers - I personally wouldn't be booking any tickets too soon tbf ...

I read a lot of the UK road map as bread and promises of circuses at some point possibly

Boris is heging his bets and counting his chickens and keeping his fingers and toes crossed..

Now don't get me wrong if they get half that pulled off on the dates they claim - it will be all tickety boo and fair play to them.

Though do have to laugh at some of the crowd cheering for the UK government when the facts are that the UK restrictions have been stricter than here to date.

How would we have survived there at all? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Summer2020 wrote: »

I emailed a query to the newly elected Minister of Health back in July regarding the lack of quarantine for tourists coming into this country. I received a response after two months (I had half forgotten the email!) which was a copy/paste of some relevant info but included the line 'There is ongoing and close consideration given by the Government to policy in relation to overseas travel.'

Here we are 8 months later and still no mandatory quarantine. It was a disgrace then but its absolutely farcical that we're a year into this pandemic and we still haven't gotten that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The regulars in this thread were excoriated, as dregs of society, for months on end, by a cohort now determined to see the UK’s roadmap fail. More so on the main thread.

There’s something wrong with that.

I wish the UK the very best of luck, because we need them to succeed. This is our only shot at normality.

I now realise that virtue signalling has nothing to do with concern for others.

When you think about it, those most in favour of returning to normality, use life and survival rates to suppose their argument.

Those mostly in favour of restrictions, need death to support their argument.

Isn’t there an irony in that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Virtue Signaling is intellectual narcissism...a shallow minded one dimensional thought process fed by media, an industry riddled with shallow minded individuals who are as smart as they are principled.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

But sources in Government Buildings insisted the Irish plan will not contain dates as research shows compliance with restrictions drops when dates are given.

Ah you just have to laugh at how pathetic we are.
    Fair play to other countries for embarrassing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Compliance will drop when the government have no plan

No dates
    No metrics for easing restrictions
    Just extend restrictions

Rinse and repeat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Think it’s fair to say compliance is already slipping. That’ll only continue as we head into March.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ahahahaha. They really are a useful shower of dithering buffoons. Compliance falls when there’s no clarify or hope offered, when people feel like they’re being made fools of and taken advantage of, and when we are being strung along by the balls with no end in sight. They can actually go ask my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

But sources in Government Buildings insisted the Irish plan will not contain dates as research shows compliance with restrictions drops when dates are given.

They don't trust us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Christ almighty. The government come out with some absolute banging lines daily now, that one is right up there.

Absolute wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

Media is jumping ship now

The can see which way the wind is blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's an historic time really, we are witnessing the collapse of FF and unless Fg manage a miracle and make Varadkar popular in and out of his party they could go the same way....this is FF's last Taoiseach, that much I am sure of!

This has been beyond a shambles, I suppose if you fill the higher levels of government with teachers and bureaucrats you get this mess...they haven't a hope of keeping the public on board with this attitude and the severe restrictions, they must think we are all idiots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

It's an historic time really, we are witnessing the collapse of FF and unless Fg manage a miracle and make Varadkar popular in and out of his party they could go the same way....this is FF's last Taoiseach, that much I am sure of!

This has been beyond a shambles, I suppose if you fill the higher levels of government with teachers and bureaucrats you get this mess...they haven't a hope of keeping the public on board with this attitude and the severe restrictions, they must think we are all idiots!

Donnelly is a shambles on Claire Byrne Live

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I checked out that protest for Saturday and while the organisers are conspiracy theory driven, they seem more like harmless hippy types rather than right wing nut-jobs like Gemma et al.
    wrote:
    RiseUp LineUp
    ••••••••••••••••
    live music by;
    •Chris James, @chrisjamesmusic_81
    •Citizen Black, @mrblacklad
    •RCR records, @roadcrewrecords_
    •Sean Kerwin,
    •Allie McKean @allymckean38
    • Omega
    • Jameo & Mulville @bigjamebo
    & more.
    Speakers;
    •Dr Andrew J Rynne,
    •Alan Sweeny,
    (freedom walk for homelessness)
    •Shakti Ji @spaceconnection_
    (RiseUp Éireann & Space Connection)
    • Louise McKenna
    (Herbalist Healer, & public speaker)
    & more.
    Fundraising for Mental Health, & Homelessness Awareness; Freedom outreach Ireland.
    Live Performces will be in Stephens Green Park, before gathering for a musical walk together through Dublin city streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Chomper. wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

If you think this is a shambles, just wait until we start receiving significant volumes of vaccine. The HSE are running around like headless chickens trying to plan the staffing of the max vaccination centres currently and are woefully behind on this process despite knowing that this was all coming months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

The regulars in this thread were excoriated, as dregs of society, for months on end, by a cohort now determined to see the UK’s roadmap fail. More so on the main thread.

There’s something wrong with that.

I wish the UK the very best of luck, because we need them to succeed. This is our only shot at normality.

I now realise that virtue signalling has nothing to do with concern for others.

When you think about it, those most in favour of returning to normality, use life and survival rates to suppose their argument.

Those mostly in favour of restrictions, need death to support their argument.

Isn’t there an irony in that

i remember this time last week posters were tearing strips off me for voicing my optimism for the uk plan telling me it was going to be a load of johnson spin and tosh. those very same posters are now latching onto every minutiae in the plan and nitpicking people saying UK and england interchangeably

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Get the feeling from Donnelly it's not all happy families with NEPHET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

How are meat plant workers any more important than say supermarket workers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement