Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus christ this is embarrassing, another month lost with no guarantee April and May will be any different

There scared Easter will turn out like Christmas 2020

I'd laugh if I wasant so scared of what a shambles this year will be

Its almost as if one is in the depths of Winter and the other is in mid Spring.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Claire Byrne Live is a disgrace, trying to discredit the UK roadmap, saying there still might be ‘deaths’. Some Irish doomer on saying there will be a 4th wave. The time is coming to protest (even online) and take the Government, media and scientists to court over what they’re attempting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Yet no one produced a single shrewd of data to refute the fact that excess deaths within the euromomo monitoring area matched very closely with Covid deaths, that the uk exceeded over 100k excess deaths a couple of weeks ago, or that death notices in Ireland so far this year are running at about 1000 above normal.

So you just claim people are ranting when using facts and continue to deny reality.

There are reason to criticise the restrictions. This thread chooses instead to use flawed logic and a denial of reality rather than live in the real world

Leave the UK out of this, you never discussed the UK death rate...you said we here in Ireland experienced excess deaths in 2020...you did not present a fact on our death rates for 2020 because it is not yet available.

There was 1,000 excess deaths in April of 2020...but no other month is showing an increase in deaths, they are showing a decrease in deaths.

Nobody can refute that yet because the figures are not yet completed, but up until Oct, we were behind where we were in 2019, we have low numbers for Nov and Dec also, this has been explained to you with links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Parachutes wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say NPHET are ****ting their keks. The things I'd do to be a fly on the wall when they go into complete meltdown. The sooner that lot fade away into obscurity the better.

it's well earned at this point. they've been strutting aroud without a word of scrutiny or criticism from either the press or the government i dont know if anything's going to become of it but their day of reckoning is well overdue

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭JRant

VaRiAnTsssssssssssssss

D'Variant, as Donnelly described. You can just picture it now, hiding behind Tony's worry-o-meter, waiting to pounce.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I can't believe there are people on these threads who actually want the UK's plan to fail, so death here is unacceptable but hoping for it to prove a point about incessant lockdowns it's OK?

The hypocrisy is disgraceful. Never thought I'd hear myself say it but we should be cheering and lauding the UK as pioneers for this bold plan, and believe me if you told me I'd be saying something like that a year ago I would have laughed in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The claire Byrne doom show just got crazier with dr. De Barra guaranteeing a 4th covid wave in the summer in England.
    Claire also pressed edwina Currie on the acceptance by boris there will be covid deaths going forward. Does Byrne think covid can be eliminated?
    We cant eliminate flu and we had years to solve than problem. She really is a bit of a dumb blonde.

Also Cowan on virgin was all about vaccinations and nothing else.

What's coming tomorrow is not a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I can't believe there are people on these threads who actually want the UK's plan to fail, so death here is unacceptable but hoping for it to prove a point about incessant lockdowns it's OK?

The hypocrisy is disgraceful. Never thought I'd hear myself say it but we should be cheering and lauding the UK as pioneers for this bold plan, and believe me if you told me I'd be saying something like that a year ago I would have laughed in your face.

The UK will be doing in June what Florida did last September, it's worked out fine for them, I think the UK will move quicker than what has been laid out...the media over there aren't as compromised by group think as ours is here!

Florida consulted with the scientists and medical professionals from the top institutes in the US...they followed the science!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You really have to admire this government, particularly the cabinet. Playing an absolute blinder in misinformation, lies, back sliding, and general incompetence. According to Donnelly they had a plan for schools but have now lost it. Some say it's beside Leo's old mobile phone and that the chances of it being found are about the same as MM not using the word 'cautious' as he babbles to the nation tomorrow.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

These people who “want the uk to fail” just exist in the imagination of some. You may find an isolated case of someone saying they hope they fail. You also see a lot pointing out the checkered record, and yet more who believe, wrongly I think, that their decision will backfire. No one wants to see it fail.

What I think is the uk have skilfully executed a bit of pr that makes people believe that opening schools, which we are starting before them, allowing individuals visitors to care homes, which was permitted here, and allow two people, and only 2 people, from different households mix outside is massive progress. Such freedom. The next step is pretty much in line with what we will see. They have signalled an acceleration from April, but there is always time to slow down if required. I think they won’t need to, but we will see. We have gone down the path of not providing guarantees or timelines for different activities as revisions may be required, but you will see in a few weeks time if there is no resurgence, and supply of vaccine continues to improve that the process will accelerate here also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

So disappointed by the opposition parties we have in our country.

I watched the tonight show and Louise O'Reilly was on and it seemed she broadly agreed with everything the government has done bar the quarantining issue.

All she kept pointing out was the lack of clear communication by the government. Can these people not read the room??? Its no longer a communications issue but an issue of quality of life, alot of people like myself want to play a game of golf, meet a friend for a walk etc.

How can they see an issue with going 10k as opposed to 5k?
    How can they see an issue with playing a game of golf over a walk in the park?
    How can they not see what the current level of restrictions are doing to people?

I dont think I'll bother voting in general elections anymore...there's just no point

Anyway, if anyone out there is struggling your definitely not alone, this last few weeks/months have been soul destroying, reach out if your struggling, don't suffer in silence
    Pieta House: 1800 247 247

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Don't be speaking badly about the Gods of NPHET !

*Banned*

The Branch Covidians will not allow their infallible Pharisees be questioned.

Leave the UK out of this, you never discussed the UK death rate...you said we here in Ireland experienced excess deaths in 2020...you did not present a fact on our death rates for 2020 because it is not yet available.

There was 1,000 excess deaths in April of 2020...but no other month is showing an increase in deaths, they are showing a decrease in deaths.

Nobody can refute that yet because the figures are not yet completed, but up until Oct, we were behind where we were in 2019, we have low numbers for Nov and Dec also, this has been explained to you with links.

Not the up to October figures again:

https://www.thejournal.ie/debunked-cso-deaths-ireland-covid-19-january-october-2020-5321990-Jan2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

RGS wrote: »
    The claire Byrne doom show just got crazier with dr. De Barra guaranteeing a 4th covid wave in the summer in England.
    Claire also pressed edwina Currie on the acceptance by boris there will be covid deaths going forward. Does Byrne think covid can be eliminated?
    We cant eliminate flu and we had years to solve than problem. She really is a bit of a dumb blonde.

Also Cowan on virgin was all about vaccinations and nothing else.

What's coming tomorrow is not a plan.

There was no wave in the summer in the UK last year. Cases and deaths were on the floor. Now this summer when 95% of those affected the most by covid will be vaccinated while millions of younger people have already been infected, there’ll be another wave? Who the **** will it be killing? People love to point to the 5G folks as misinformation spreaders but these guys are just as bad.

These people who “want the uk to fail” just exist in the imagination of of some. You may find an isolated case of someone saying they hope they fail. You also see a lot pointing out the checkered record, and yet more who believe, wrongly I think, that their decision will backfire. No one wants to see it fail.

What I think is the uk have skilfully executed a of ex revise that makes people believe that opening schools, which we are starting before them, allowing individuals visitors to care homes, which was permitted here, and allow two people, and only 2 people, from different households mix outside. Such freedom. The next step is pretty much in line with what we will see. They have signalled an acceleration from April, but there is always time to slow down if required. I think they won’t need to, but we will see. We have gone down the path of not providing guarantees or timelines for different activities as revisions may be required, but you will see in a few weeks time if there is no resurgence, and supply of vaccine continues to improve that the process will accelerate here also.

raind there were posters queueing up last week to tell me i was naive and that the UK and irish plans were going to be identical

There was no wave in the summer in the UK last year. Cases and deaths were on the floor. Now this summer when 95% of those affected the most by covid will be vaccinated while millions of younger people have already been infected, there’ll be another wave? Who the **** will it be killing? People love to point to the 5G folks as misinformation spreaders but these guys are just as bad.

It was really like rte wanted to show up boris for his plan.

ypres5 wrote: »
    raind there were posters queueing up last week to tell me i was naive and that the UK and irish plans were going to be identical

They won’t be too far apart. We just won’t be flagging it months in advance

I often wonder, why do so many here spend so much time watching Claire Byrne et al if it upsets you so much? It’s not like 1985 when all you could do was watch RTE.

I can safely say that the number of times I have watched The Claire Byrne show is 1, and only watch the news when there is a big announcement. The website can link some decent information, but with the caveat that if there is something that seems a bit off, or doesn’t match what you see elsewhere, it’s best to look for verification. There are loads of independent sources where you can get fact based information without watching the news if it offends you so much.

You have to be deluded to believe this. Our Taoiseach has already mentioned severe lockdown until May.

They are talking about normality returning in June.

I think Tony and MM would have a meltdown if someone mentioned nightclubs

i wish i shared your optimism, i want to be out enjoying my 20s rather than sat watching old wwe matches but there isn't a hope in hell international travel will be up and running by the summer

• Advertisement

You have to be deluded to believe this. Our Taoiseach has already mentioned severe lockdown until May.

They are talking about normality returning in June.

I think Tony and MM would have a meltdown if someone mentioned nightclubs

Well level 5 is only going to April5th, which is only 1 week after uk go from an equivalent of 5 to 4

https://m.independent.ie/news/level-5-restrictions-until-at-least-april-5-under-governments-new-living-with-covid-19-plan-40121193.html

Level 5 is for review on April 5, no guarantee anything will change.
    Martin already stated to the mirror last Thursday we faced another 9 weeks of severe restrictions.

I don't buy the suggestion they are under promising to over deliver.

RGS wrote: »
    Level 5 is for review on April 5, no guarantee anything will change.
    Martin already stated to the mirror last Thursday we faced another 9 weeks of severe restrictions.

I don't buy the suggestion they are under promising to over deliver.

Level 4 would qualify as severe. Level 3 possibly also

• Registered Users Posts: 19,457 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

You may be correct on this. As the UK opens up and we get more people vaccinated, we will ultimately be embarrassed into doing likewise. The Government will have to show they can stand up to NPHET first though.

You say the second part above as if it is a good thing. What the UK Government did today is undoubtedly a good thing. It's called communication and offers hope. Our lack of a visible plan is clearly causing a problem with compliance. How long do they really think people will comply if they are left thinking that nothing will change no matter what they do?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Martin567 wrote: »
    You may be correct on this. As the UK opens up and we get more people vaccinated, we will ultimately be embarrassed into doing likewise. The Government will have to show they can stand up to NPHET first though.

first we'll have to find enough vaccines to start 'doing likewise'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They are talking about normality returning in June. I think Tony and MM would have a meltdown if someone mentioned nightclubs

I think you will find that it was April 5th and not May which has been set as the relevant date here. And as for as to 'severe lockdown" looks like the Taoiseach didnt say it would last until May

https://m.independent.ie/news/level-5-restrictions-until-at-least-april-5-under-governments-new-living-with-covid-19-plan-40121193.html?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40230062.html

To be fair its not that you would think it reading some of this thread ;)

Meanwhile the UK have set the 12th of April as the beginning of their rollback on restrictions- (some of which we have already set out here btw)

The new UK road map comes with a number of relevant conditions ...
    First, that the vaccine deployment programme continues successfully;

second, that evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths;

third, that infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS;

and fourth, that our assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new variants of Covid that cause concern.

Before taking each step we will review the data against these tests and because it takes at least four weeks for the data to reflect the impact of relaxations in restrictions

and we want to give the country a week’s notice before each change -

there will be at least five weeks between each step.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-statement-to-the-house-of-commons-on-roadmap-for-easing-lockdown-restrictions-in-england-22-february-2021

Graham wrote: »
    first we'll have to find enough vaccines to start 'doing likewise'.

We will.

It will be very interesting in a few months if Northern Ireland is more than 70% fully vaccinated and relaxed most things. If we're stuck at a fraction of that and still at about Level 4 restrictions there could be a real problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Martin567 wrote: »
    We will.

It will be very interesting in a few months if Northern Ireland is more than 70% fully vaccinated and relaxed most things. If we're stuck at a fraction of that and still at about Level 4 restrictions there could be a real problem!

Northern Ireland extends lockdown until 1 April

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56101041

So not much change likley there tbf

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Northern Ireland extends lockdown until 1 April

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56101041

So not much change likley there tbf

Was it not clear that I was referring to about June or so when Northern Ireland may have relaxed restrictions far more than here as they will be well ahead on vaccines?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement