Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

Has this been posted already?

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-is-getting-a-new-covid-roadmap-but-whats-happening-in-other-countries-right-now-5362224-Feb2021/

I think it clarifies stuff to those insisting that the restrictions here are NOT the worst

Also there was some argue about Spain earlier in the thread - Bars and restaurants can stay open until 11pm. Hahah

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

uli84 wrote: »
    Also there was some argue about Spain earlier in the thread - Bars and restaurants can stay open until 11pm. Hahah

You might want to go back and re-read the article again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Jesus this thread moved quickly.

Any way - At least them saying its "possible" gives some light at the end of the tunnel that I`ll get away this summer.
    Where as our lot are saying we "might" get a staycation - which will mean rip off prices and **** weather and Im not prepared to pay for overpriced hotels ,drinks and meals.

Ill be out of here as soon as we can travel and if that means through Belfast Ill be gone.

The ould Belfast back door might not work.

You and your family will probably need to be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Penfailed wrote: »
    Johnson has an out in that he says that the reopening is based on a number of targets. Sturgeon has been playing this more cautiously throughout and seemingly has the support of her electorate for doing so. Her approval ratings are way above Johnson. I will be watching the whole thing with great interest.

Me too. I have tickets for Pearl Jam in London in July, big outdoor show in Hyde Park. According to the UK plan, "large events can take place" after June 21st.

I wonder what that means for travel from Ireland to the UK - I'm in probably the last group to get the vaccine, so unless I've received it by then it might mean proof of a negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

This 5k story is unbelievable. Just when you thought they couldn't get any worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Are you presenting a Journal article with a straight face?

Did you read the article?

Here is just one beauty

"And last July, the statistics agency estimated that excess mortality for the period from March to September 2020 alone to be between 876 and 1,192."

Do you see anything wrong with that?

The article is full of misleading conjecture....it's an embarrassment to the industry, then again it is The Journal, the comments section is keeping that place alive!!

I'll use one of the sources you provided to back up you ridiculous claim that there were "excess deaths" in 2020

Euromomo

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/

Until it is confirmed we can't say for sure, but what we can see, is that 2020 will most like not record any excess deaths, probably 2,000 below normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Me too. I have tickets for Pearl Jam in London in July, big outdoor show in Hyde Park. According to the UK plan, "large events can take place" after June 21st.

I wonder what that means for travel from Ireland to the UK - I'm in probably the last group to get the vaccine, so unless I've received it by then it might mean proof of a negative test.

Ring your doctor with Covid symptoms a few days before you are due to travel and you'll get tested for free. Cheapest way to get a negative result!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭timmyntc

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    This 5k story is unbelievable. Just when you thought they couldn't get any worse

Its mindboggling - what good does the 5k rule do honestly?

Cynic in me would think its a way to stop the plebs from going up to Dublin to protest the government :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

ypres5 wrote: »
    but i think that's all people here are looking for. they want a guarantee that when x amount of people are vaccinated or cases are at x number that things start going back to normal than telling us the first half of the year is written off and so could christmas which does nothing but demoralize people and piss them off.

Totally agree. I've said so previously.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Are you presenting a Journal article with a straight face?

Did you read the article?

Here is just one beauty

"And last July, the statistics agency estimated that excess mortality for the period from March to September 2020 alone to be between 876 and 1,192."

Do you see anything wrong with that?

The article is full of misleading conjecture....it's an embarrassment to the industry, then again it is The Journal, the comments section is keeping that place alive!!

I'll use one of the sources you provided to back up you ridiculous claim that there were "excess deaths" in 2020

Euromomo

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/

Until it is confirmed we can't say for sure, but what we can see, is that 2020 will most like not record any excess deaths, probably 2,000 below normal.

Yeah, right. Spoofer

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »
    Its mindboggling - what good does the 5k rule do honestly?

It does quite a bit, one tangible thing it does while in place is it prevents evictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I didn't buy tickets as I thought that gig was going to be very unlikely to happen. I'd love to see PJ again...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Frilly Knickers

SnuggyBear wrote: »

Is this the one where they link the (arbitrary no basis in science) 5km limit to a stop on evictions/rent hikes and are so incompetent they apparently cant undo the former without undoing the latter?

Then doubled down on their incompetence by rejecting a proposal late last year from Alice Mary Higgins to either unlink them or increase the 5k or both....which they rejected because they are incompetent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

The journal has been a disgrace throughout the pandemic. At the start of the lockdown they were begging for donations/subscribers but that changed quickly. They were obviously bailed out by the government and used as an other arm of the propaganda machine to reach the younger demographic they cannot reach via RTE. There so called self appointed factcheckers are shameless. Anyone on the comments section who questions the narrative is silenced - myself included. Consequently anyone reading the comments thinks the vast majority are in favor of lockdown and hears no dissenting opinions.

treade1 wrote: »
    The journal has been a disgrace throughout the pandemic. At the start of the lockdown they were begging for donations/subscribers but that changed quickly. They were obviously bailed out by the government and used as an other arm of the propaganda machine to reach the younger demographic they cannot reach via RTE. There so called self appointed factcheckers are shameless. Anyone on the comments section who questions the narrative is silenced - myself included. Consequently anyone reading the comments thinks the vast majority are in favor of lockdown and hears no dissenting opinions.

Oh yeah, obviously.

Ring your doctor with Covid symptoms a few days before you are due to travel and you'll get tested for free. Cheapest way to get a negative result!

This is bad advice. The HSE result is sent by text and doesn’t have details like Surname, Passport number, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Boggles wrote: »
    It does quite a bit, one tangible thing it does while in place is it prevents evictions.

I knew it wouldn't be long until the government defence force was out. You could set your clock to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

An Irish solution to an Irish problem?

Why do the Gards need to enforce it then?

Do you guys even question this alternative universe you have created for yourselves

In what sane world would a 5km travel limit prevent evictions?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

uli84 wrote: »
    @Graham, your folks are sorted:
    Spain has also started to roll back on its restrictions. Changes have been made to Madrid’s curfew time, with it moving from 10pm to 11pm, for instance.

Bars and restaurants can stay open until 11pm.
    Even Madrid is open until 11pm, tell them 'Copeyhagen said enjoy your revenue stream reopening and youre freedom'

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

timmyntc wrote: »

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1362146624412282880?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    If the rumoured plan that has been leaked (again...) to the press is true then it doesn’t offer much hope of any at all.

no targets again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Yeah, right. Spoofer

You were the one caught exaggerating excess deaths, you are not in any position to call anybody anything...I have clearly made my point and expressed an opinion based on what we do already know and provided a source...You've had the wool pulled over your eyes by the sharp brains in The Journal **sniggers**

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

timmyn:(tc wrote: »

was psoted before, the govt said it last week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

paw patrol wrote: »
    no targets again :mad:

The new plan is basically "what we said a month ago, but replace March with April".

You were the one caught exaggerating excess deaths, you are not in any position to call anybody anything...I have clearly made my point and expressed an opinion based on what we do already know and provided a source...You've had the wool pulled over your eyes by the sharp brains in The Journal **sniggers**

Fantasy stuff. Keep it going

hynesie08 wrote: »

Thanks for that.

That really is mad - tying a ban of evictions to a 5km travel limit seems dubious at best - also moving house is a valid reason to go beyond 5km limit, so would wonder how the eviction ban can tie in with that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

you may recall that chap took out a page in the IT stating covid19 facts.
    their fact checker stated that despite the facts being correct the ad was false cos it sent the wrong message - or some banal fudge like that.
    you couldn't make it up

but it got better (or worse) - the hero staffer from the journal then attacked the IT on twitter for publishing such a reckless ad - in her opinion - there should be only 1 view no discussion or dissent.

This is just one example but covid has shown clearly that journalism is dead in ireland.

As Michael McNamara TD said in the dail - "they want government funding and they deserve it they've been doing your bidding for the past year"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

copeyhagen wrote: »
    @Graham, your folks are sorted:

Even Madrid is open until 11pm, tell them 'Copeyhagen said enjoy your revenue stream reopening and youre freedom'

cheers

I'll let them know they should move to Madrid and leave you to delight in how clever you think you're being.

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement