Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I really hope they raise it to 10km. I am 8km from a beach and really want to get there for a walk. I am missing it big time. This 5km is so cruel...

Not going to happen until after Easter at the earliest

More than likely May seeing as they have 5km limit tied to evictions now

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

I really hope they raise it to 10km. I am 8km from a beach and really want to get there for a walk. I am missing it big time. This 5km is so cruel...

Ignore it and go anyway. Don't let illogical, baseless, arbitrary rules stop you from living your life. Let your own critical thinking dictate the way you live and not rules made by people who are inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

https://twitter.com/griptmedia/status/1364193937955692545?s=21

This is extremely sinister and dangerous in the extreme.
    Yesterday two of these professors were on The Last Word with no alternative viewpoint being offered. Another was in rte radio in the morning trying to keep schools closed. The attempt at normalising the extremists is a disgrace.
    The extremists agenda is absolutely shocking - they should be locked up with all the damage they’re causing Irish society.

Wow this is a sinister development...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SilentGreenx32

Just go? Its an arbitrary guideline and if you are just going to the beach for a walk you are not putting anyone in danger. I go outside the 5km limit all the time but I go to places like parks, fields and beaches. Just use some common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

100% agree on the right of people to make their own risk assessment. We did see what happens when people made their own risk assessments before Christmas though. "Sure twill be grand to go to that house-party, I dont have it", "sure twill be grand to meet my group of friends from 4 different households for a meal down the local food pub, we are not sick", "sure it will be grand for half the town to book into the local hotel so we can get pissed and watch the match, it is the All-Ireland after all","sure it will be grand for Tom, Mark and John to travel back from London when they are in the middle of a surge", " Sure twill be grand"

Spoken like a true nanny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Leaked documents show that members of the Zero-Covid advocacy group @ISAGCOVID19, whose public facing campaign group is @WeCanBeZero, were recently instructed to "look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty."

Wow. That is shocking if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Wow this is a sinister development...

At last their being exposed.
    They’ve had a stranglehold over all of us for long enough.
    Matt Cooper , Clair Byrne etc should be writing resignation letters imo.

I hope there’s an investigation to expose the source of this cabal.
    Terrorising people is surely a criminal offence.
    Lock them up and throw away the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yesterday two of these professors were on The Last Word with no alternative viewpoint being offered. Another was in rte radio in the morning trying to keep schools closed. The attempt at normalising the extremists is a disgrace.
    The extremists agenda is absolutely shocking - they should be locked up with all the damage they’re causing Irish society.

In a few months from now, when all this has died down a bit and emotions aren’t as rampant, I hope there is an investigation into how we let such unchallenged, damaging and dangerous drivel take over our airwaves and tv screens at such a fundamental time, and the impact it has had on our collective mental health. And RTE should be right front and centre. For a station that was all about mental health (the topic de jour not so long ago) they sure as hell don’t give a fcuk anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused: Again alternative universe?

Any way the main point is this

and this

Is not going to happen and it certainly won't happen because some simpleton has gorged themselves retarded on Ben Gilroy's youtube channel.

Alternative universe?
    Maybe this one, where a salon opened today and is already fully booked out?

I don't follow Ben Gilroy other than knowing he's a nutter with a hurl, so you can leave your ad hominems at the door.

I also already stated previously that I do not expect all salons countrywide to open, it was a hypothetical. I'm very sure you are aware of the concept.

I take it since you are now ignoring the other points in my last post and trying to drag things over to this that you concede you were wrong. That's very gracious of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Imagine being this pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

timmyntc wrote: »
    Alternative universe?

Because she said so?
    I don't follow Ben Gilroy other than knowing he's a nutter with a hurl

The salon owner does, which was the point.

How did she get on do you know?

Is she ploughing threw the full bookings?

I don't follow Ben Gilroy other than knowing he's a nutter with a hurl, so you can leave your ad hominems at the door.

Come on now. If Boggles couldn't spend his time comparing people he disagrees with to Trump, Gemma or whatever random 5G Covid conspiracy group he's been told to hate today, he'd never post. We'd miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

This is what this ridiculous rule has done to people. Questioning whether they can move an extra few kilometres from their home for exercise and general wellbeing. Definitely go. If you're worried about a checkpoint on the way, use your imagination - they are not going to interrogate you.

This rule needs to be challenged and removed. It's beyond farcical and is not helping anyone. Mass movement by people outside of their 5k will make it unenforceable and get it removed. The guards should be up in arms having to deal with this arbitrary rule. Such a waste of their resources

Imagine being this pathetic.

Take issue with the people making the laws, not the people following them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

In a few months from now, when all this has died down a bit and emotions aren’t as rampant, I hope there is an investigation into how we let such unchallenged, damaging and dangerous drivel take over our airwaves and tv screens at such a fundamental time, and the impact it has had on our collective mental health. And RTE should be right front and centre. For a station that was all about mental health (the topic de jour not so long ago) they sure as hell don’t give a fcuk anymore

Matt “pooper scooper” Cooper had a load of these frauds on his show yesterday.
    He should also definitely be part of this future investigation

Come on now. If Boggles couldn't spend his time comparing people he disagrees with to Trump, Gemma or whatever random 5G Covid conspiracy group he's been told to hate today, he'd never post. We'd miss him.

Your comprehension issues are my fault?

That is a bit conspiracy TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I think it should fall into the remit of the Citizens Assembly or similar entity to police the media somewhat.

If you watch a movie on tv these days, they often come with a warning about reflecting different values or some such nonsense, it's all a bit weird...

But for instance if the Claire Byrne show has deliberately misrepresented a topic and it has been proven then a warning should accompany that program for a period of time, at the beginning, same for any news content on any station.

They need to be babysat unfortunately!

Yeah, we should let the owners of Gript chair it.

Impartial bunch those lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Its when people descend to bizarre fantasies such as the journal is a paid propaganda organ of the government among, PCR conspiracies, government loves lockdowns, Tony is using it to drive an anti alcohol agenda etc etc etc etc etc.

The Journal.
    Have been supportive in the extreme of the governments methods. Like all media they are getting state cash for their covid ads which was massive amount of cash at least in the earlier stages. I'm not privvy to the fine detail - but it's not unreasonable to believe that part of that deal is be on song.
    Do you think this is an unreasonable assumption? Given the journals gung ho support for lockdowns etc....and far right labelling (they must be burning through labelling machines at this rate) I think not.

PCR
    The FOI from the Dept of Health - which I posted on this thread (older version) stated they ran them to 45 cycles. Anything over 35 cycles is a load of bollocks ...the WHO said so themselves in more polite language. I call this out months before the WHO said it, cos I'm good like that.

Government loves lockdowns
    You may have a point here. They probably don't love lockdowns but are rudderless and have no exit plan. They might as well.

Dr Tony
    He does have an anti booze agenda. He is on record saying this. You can argue that doesn't affect his decisions on covid10 - argue away.
    I think it does. But you can't deny his negative view - he is a better man than I if his views didn't effect the pubs but at a minimum he doesn't get the importance of pubs in terms of peoples lives.

You had 1 out 4. maybe 1.5 if I give a half point for the journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

I think it should fall into the remit of the Citizens Assembly or similar entity to police the media somewhat.

If you watch a movie on tv these days, they often come with a warning about reflecting different values or some such nonsense, it's all a bit weird...

But for instance if the Claire Byrne show has deliberately misrepresented a topic and it has been proven then a warning should accompany that program for a period of time, at the beginning, same for any news content on any station.

They need to be babysat unfortunately!

i must say claire byrnes programming is turning into a slightly more dressed up Infowars or joe rogan experience between the pseudoscience being peddled and nutty professors who've gone off the reservation

• Advertisement

Most agree that ISAG have jumped the shark

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Alternative universe?

I also already stated previously that I do not expect all salons countrywide to open, it was a hypothetical. I'm very sure you are aware of the concept.

I take it since you are now ignoring the other points in my last post and trying to drag things over to this that you concede you were wrong. That's very gracious of you.

That salon was closed by Gardai within a matter of hours so doubt they had much custom this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Just go. What is stopping you? You think they're going to send you a thank you card for being a good citizen. Your life is more important ...you'll never get it back...and for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Are you serious? Go to the f*cking beach. Has to be a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There all so geedy in the UK with there news of easing restrictions

Some difference to here where we're going to be locked down further with a certain UK variant which is deadlier but do the UK know about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I honestly think this period will be studied a lot over coming years as another mass hysteria/moral panic. Yes, covid is a real thing but the reaction has been completely over the top, and honestly the way people have been brainwashed to think covid is lurking just waiting to infect those who don't follow THE RULES is like the satanic panic or something.

Boggles wrote: »
    Your comprehension issues are my fault?

That is a bit conspiracy TBF.

And yet your next post after this, in response to the news that the ISAG is using Rules for Radicals as their handbook and openly trying to "increase uncertainty, anxiety and insecurity" in the population of your country, and these people are being invited to propagandise your fellow countrymen on the daily, is... "herpaderp [insert name of thing you personally have a gripe with]".

You're a comedian, Boggles.

You don't entertain genuine arguments.

You previously dismissed the need to have alternate opinions on media about lock downs...and yet you couldn't name an expert who has been most accurate in their predictions.

Nobody made a prediction about what would happen with ongoing restrictions. Sensible commentators were projecting 30-50k deaths, which at 0.6% IFR is not outrageous.
    I also do not recall ever dismissing the need for alternate opinions.
    You previously dismissed the ability to shield the over 70s in a more humane fashion.

I dismissed the fantasy that the disease could be allowed run rampant through the wider community and not have major impacts on the vulnerable
    You have convinced yourself we have had excess deaths in 2019 without a shred of evidence...you have stopped mentioning Euromomo where you originally got your data...I suspect I know why.

I constantly reference Euromom. Anyone who knows the data however knows there is a serious lag in Euromomo data for Ireland particularly. We have 1000 excess death reports YTD yet as yet Euromomo shows none because of delayed reporting. What euromomo does show is that the reporting however is close to the same Number of excess deaths as covid deaths in the areas covered by the system. UK similarly has similar numbers of excess and covid deaths. Now, I will told told these aren't relevant to Ireland as if the virus is different somehow
    You have consistently supported the strictest, most damaging lock down in Europe to the point where you can't tolerate criticism of it.

I have constantly challenged the baseless nonsense used by some to challenge restrictions. Not the fact that restrictions can be challenged. Lots of posts I have left unchallenged because they make a valid point. The fact that you have read criticism of the nonsense points as blind support of restrictions suggests you are not as confident in your rhetoric as you make out and seek to somehow belittle the arguments against you point by presenting extreme versions of them that dont accord with what the individual actually says
    You are a lock down extremist for some reason...a tool that should never have been used for this long on account of the damage they clearly cause...

100% wrong. I dont want lockdowns. I understand what they try to achieve however. That is a major difference. Boggles, who I have argued with far more frequently than your good self, can attest to my views on this since I started posting in the forum last March.
    We all recognize the need for restrictions, it is the strictest lockdown in Europe that most of us have the issue with!

We are the strictest in some senses - we never had curfews for example, never had permits to go out and about, and never had any real enforcement. It also needs to be understood that countries are going with the level of restrictions required to ensure the population will adhere to enough to make an impact. Believe it is something like 80% of people adhering 80% of the time for Ireland.

Now in Germany, a population who wont cross at a pedestrian crossing with a red light even on a deserted street will on average conform readily. Irish people however...

Now I do realise you will read everything I wrote as "I love lockdowns"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Are you serious? Go to the f*cking beach. Has to be a wind up.

I have no sympathy for people like this. They are the reason we are in this hole.

Waiting for the man on the telly to tell them what to do and what to think.

• Advertisement

And yet your next post after this, in response to the news that the ISAG is using Rules for Radicals as their handbook and openly trying to "increase uncertainty, anxiety and insecurity" in the population of your country, and these people are being invited to propagandise your fellow countrymen on the daily, is... "herpaderp [insert name of thing you personally have a gripe with]".

You're a comedian, Boggles.

You meant he post where they want to put the media on trial after all this?

That certainly was funny, I can't take credit for it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement