Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Do you have a passport?

Mind your own business, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

BigAndy21 wrote: »
    No hospital is overflowing from Covid, not in Sweden, Florida or any other country or state that said no to the bull. Our leaders are bought puppets following orders. And check the stats, deaths are the same as 2019.

Just looking at the CSO numbers for deaths. The most recent I can find is Q2 2020. Comparing that to Q2 2019, there's 1,063 more deaths in Q2 2020. That's an increase of 14%.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BigAndy21

gozunda wrote: »

BBC hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

growleaves wrote: »

You don't even understand what a passport is or how you get one. So we have to assume that you never had one.

You don't even understand what a passport is or how you get one. So we have to assume that you never had one.

Lol

• Advertisement

Lol

That's the level of discourse expected alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Passports now, wonder what there next move is? Off Licenses perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

i do find it a bit weird when people continually try to coax personal info out of people. surely you can have a debate with someone without trying to find out what they had for breakfast

ypres5 wrote: »
    i do find it a bit weird when people continually try on coaxing personal info out of people. surely you can have a debate with someone without trying to find out what they had for breakfast

Another one who doesn't understand passports yet likes to make up imagined Constitutional demands for one whenever and wherever.

Hardy the third secret of Fatima now to admit you've never had one or even applied for one is it?

You could just admit it and we could move on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

McGaggs wrote: »
    Just looking at the CSO numbers for deaths. The most recent I can find is Q2 2020. Comparing that to Q2 2019, there's 1,063 more deaths in Q2 2020. That's an increase of 14%.

Deaths were up by over a 1,000 in April v 2019...but they were behind 2019 ever other month...it is looking like the numbers for 2020 will be below 2019, Nov and Dec are particularly low (that may change, but it would need to change by a lot just to catch up with 2019...I'd say we are looking at about 27,000 deaths verses 30,000 normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Passports now, wonder what there next move is? Off Licenses perhaps?

we've already been told previously that it's not essential that someone be able to sit their driving test so we're on a race to rock bottom as to whats essential and whats not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

decreds wrote: »
    I'd love to see the breakdown of what people do for a living out of those who are pressing hard for lockdowns. I'd wager a bet they are either:

a) Public sector
    b) Unemployed
    c) "Artists"

Yes, we’ve had a few polls telling us people are in favour of restrictions but funnily enough no breakdown of those in favour by age, occupation etc, the usual supplementary analysis.

decreds wrote: »
    I'd love to see the breakdown of what people do for a living out of those who are pressing hard for lockdowns. I'd wager a bet they are either:

a) Public sector
    b) Unemployed
    c) "Artists"

Why would you think (b) or (c)? I mean (b) are suddenly left with nothing to do after having a life of leisure and (c) are hardly better off with the lockdown - unless they are getting paid more on the PUP....but they linked that to previous earnings

Going by the posts on here, there seems to be quite a correlation between attitudes on anti-lockdown posters and attitudes you might stereotypically find in category (b) - no?

Graham wrote: »
    Didn't you already say it wasn't in the constitution?

I'll check again...

Here you go

One of us is confused.

It's not me.

It's not stated explicitly. It's implicit in article 40.4, as established constitutional law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's not stated explicitly. It's implicit in article 40.4, as established constitutional law.

you're arguing with yourself now?
    There are potential limitations to any freedom. It would be a matter for the courts whether the Public Health Act 1947 could be used to restrict your right to a passport. (I'm guessing no, but I don't know)

Along with the right to an immediate driving test at any time of a citizen's choosing probably too.

And also, the right to be brought to the airport in a taxi without having to pay

Article 40.4 baby!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

There is no virus. The CDC has been unable to produce a specimen, because they’ve never actually “isolated the virus”. Our governments are using PCR tests to “diagnose” a virus that IT WAS never meant to diagnose aka this MYSTERIOUS VIRUS.

Funny that our average deaths for the year has not increased, but actually DECREASED.

FUNNY that people who died from cancer, motor vehicle accidents, COPD, FLU, heart disease, falling from a roof, are ALL COVID DEATHS. WAKE UP SHEEPLE! The CABAL IS DESTROYING OUR ECONOMY IN PREPARATION FOR THE GREAT RESET

Mod:

Anymore of that ranting and you'll be threadbanned, take that sort of rubbish to the Conspiracy Theory Forum please

Graham wrote: »
    you're arguing with yourself now?

No, there's no contradiction there. The established constitutional law could be overturned by the courts, which doesn't mean that it has been.

hamburgham wrote: »
    Yes, we’ve had a few polls telling us people are in favour of restrictions but funnily enough no breakdown of those in favour by age, occupation etc, the usual supplementary analysis.

Heard of a place that couldn’t reopen as staff on covid and wouldn’t come off it. Don’t know if this is widespread though or a one off.

Along with the right to an immediate driving test at any time of a citizen's choosing probably too.

And also, the right to be brought to the airport in a taxi without having to pay

Article 40.4 baby!

Lol

• Advertisement

Lol

If ya ever do get around to applying for a passport, come back to let us know how you get on.

We'll keep an eye out in the higher courts for your big Constitutional challenge to the fee demanded

Personally I can't wait to test out the free taxi to the airport theory meself! The state can feck off if they think they can deprive me of my article 40.4 liberty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Article 40.4 baby!

You’re not coming off particularly smart with this attitude of “you don’t know the legalities of the constitution as well as I do” lark as if it’s some kind of gotcha.

Regardless of the legalities, the public have been locked in their houses for far longer than anyone expected. This was bearable when there was at least somewhat consistent messaging about timelines in the first and second lockdown.

However since Christmas the communication has been abysmal, and further civil liberties are being denied such as the issuance of passports. Is it any surprise that something as the right to leave the country is now being eroded? This wasn’t an issue in the previous lockdowns so I don’t really see why it is now. Whatever about fines, the right to leave the country is something I do value.

You could try find a bit of empathy for people’s frustrations rather than try win meaningless arguments over trivial points.

domrush wrote: »
    You’re not coming off particularly smart with this attitude of “you don’t know the legalities of the constitution as well as I do” lark as if it’s some kind of gotcha.

Regardless of the legalities, the public have been locked in their houses for far longer than anyone expected. This was bearable when there was at least somewhat consistent messaging about timelines in the first and second lockdown.

However since Christmas the communication has been abysmal, and further civil liberties are being denied such as the issuance of passports. Is it any surprise that something as the right to leave the country is now being eroded? This wasn’t an issue in the previous lockdowns so I don’t really see why it is now. Whatever about fines, the right to leave the country is something I do value.

You could try find a bit of empathy for people’s frustrations rather than try win meaningless arguments over trivial points.

Just fed up listening to the snowflake drama queens going on about their imagined constitutional rights to an immediate passport renewal.

There is no such thing. Passport staff are working from home (and have been reassigned to other duties in some cases). They cannot access systems securely and so only emergency cases are being processed by the skeleton staff that still go to their offices

It's not a conspiracy of the evil lizard overlords to ruin your day/week/month/year.

You have the right to leave the country. What you do not have the right to do is to put other citizens at risk by risking public health with unnecessary travel in the middle of a global pandemic.

So get yourself a job or house somewhere else and go. Nobody is stopping you.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That was surely the fastest moving relaxation thread?

First 3 were all quicker. Thread VIII was just over a month. Thread II 16 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

For everyone that’s really obeying the restrictions, there’s someone who isn’t.
    Black market is thriving in my locality so I presume it’s the same everywhere.
    It’s so frustrating. So many selfish people out there.
    Opening everything up won’t make a whole lot of difference. The people who are behaving now will still behave.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies master, i shall now pause my life to prolong the lives of the dying. Thank you.
    Do not post in this thread again

Beasty wrote: »

This one will break it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Beasty wrote: »

It was hard to keep up with the latter part of the thread. I think the Daily Mirror thing was a catalyst for a flurry of posts.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

This one will break it

Or break us

• Advertisement

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Or break us

They can try, but I don't think they will succeed. The people are finally wising up :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement