Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What is stupid is a Government believes it can control a microscopic virus in an entire population by locking them all down wrecking the economy and society even though we can't control it in hospitals, a place where every precaution is taken by professionals used to handling virus outbreaks in hospitals.If it wasn't so damaging to our country it would be hilarious!

So ignoring the fact that hospitals treating covid patients are automatically a high risk area?

That heathcare workers who were many of those catching covid whilst treating covid patients is somehow surprising to you?

Or that vaccination of health care workers and vulnerable people is now going to reduce that risk significantly

Still think we should throw open the doors and be damned? That we're the only country in the world with restrictions during a raging pandemic?

Great policy chief. Reckon you should stand for election.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A Government cannot control a microscopic virus Graham when it is circulating in the population

We reduce the amount the population circulates.

Like we're doing now as the number of infections drop.

It's not rocket science.

walus wrote: »
    Well, and that is precisely where the weakness of this strategy is. Not only the number of variables increases massively by charging Bob and co. with responsibility for the virus management, it also assumes the Bob is consistently responsible enough to behave.

Too many stupid Bobs will see the restrictions extended.

Don't be a stupid Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Graham wrote: »
    It's almost as if symptoms might take a while to show.

Seriously Silentcorner, pretending case numbers didn't drop significantly after the initial set of restrictions is just silly. I get that you're just trying to provoke a reaction but at this stage its more likely to be :rolleyes:

I don't believe the virus peaked in April, the poster I was referring to did.

I believe the virus surges and peaked in March and dropped over the following weeks, following the same trends that flu viruses follow.

And yes, my position has always been that lockdowns are not nearly as effective as we make them out to be...the flu virus surge ends every year all on it's own, so it's not exactly too much of a leap to believe a Covid surge would behave the same way...

But I keep forgetting, you are a science denier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Don't be a stupid Bob.

There have been very few Bobs over the last 6 weeks, yet restrictions have been extended.

Im starting to like Bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Don't be a stupid Bob.

Then how do you talk a stupid Bob back into it?

Surely you must see yourself that what the government are doing right now has the exact opposite effect.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

But you believe the first surge peaked in April...3/2/4 weeks in full lock down, going by case numbers or hospitalizations which we all remember vividly saw huge compliance from the 27th March.

Where was she s##tfest in April?

Once those who had been already infected prior to that lockdown and had recovered or otherwise - then the restrictions worked. Whats hard to understand?

And yet here you are calling on all and sundry to ignore those same restrictions this time around...:rolleyes:

Penfailed wrote: »
    The world is a massive place. My world also extends beyond 5km from the house. It doesn't change the fact that I'm not locked up. I'm currently in lockdown. There's a difference. Consider that for a moment.

You are rationalising. That is normal though. We all need to be happy in our own realities and somehow sleep at night after all. Good luck to you.

We reduce the amount the population circulates.

Like we're doing now as the number of infections drop.

It's not rocket science.

What you know about science wouldn't fill the back of a fag box.

The flu circulates every year and no matter what part of the island you live in you can catch it, remoteness doesn't protect people from the flu, and we are told this is more transmittable than the flu....so apart from locking every one in their bedrooms on their own for two months...you ain't gonna control it!!!

robbiezero wrote: »
    There have been very few Bobs over the last 6 weeks, yet restrictions have been extended.

Im starting to like Bob.

The numbers are dropping but as we started from a much higher number this time its going to take longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You are rationalising. That is normal though. We all need to be happy in our own realities and somehow sleep at night after all. Good luck to you.

Yes, I'm a rational person. Good luck to you too.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

gozunda wrote: »
    Once those who had been already infected prior to that lockdown and had recovered or otherwise - then the restrictions worked. Whats hard to understand?

And yet here you are calling on all and sundry to ignore those same restrictions this time around...:rolleyes:

What is hard to understand...you actually...what are you trying to say here?

I don't believe harsh restrictions work. It is that simple, I do believe that some restrictions are effective.

I'm just not a science denier who has succumb to the religion of lock downs like you, that is all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

decreds wrote: »
    I'd love to see the breakdown of what people do for a living out of those who are pressing hard for lockdowns. I'd wager a bet they are either:

a) Public sector
    b) Unemployed
    c) "Artists"

Those not on pup, long term unemployed would want a reopening. Pensioners would. The younger the most part do. I'd say it's those on pup who weren't earning much before job loss and people on full pay for doing near nothing and there must be a lot of them ....

Irony alert..
    What you know about science wouldn't fill the back of a fag box.

followed up with
    remoteness doesn't protect people from the flu

Yes, I'm a rational person. Good luck to you too.

Rationalisation - i.e. making excuses, a defense mechanism in which controversial behaviors or feelings are justified and explained in a seemingly rational or logical manner to avoid the true explanation.

Nothing to do with being rational or thinking of one self as a rational person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The numbers are dropping but as we started from a much higher number this time its going to take longer.

And 9 weeks becomes 15 weeks and 15 weeks becomes 24.

Nah, I'm off for a can with Bob.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    My parents are in theirs 50s and haven't seen my siblings and their kids for months. Stop with this ****. Can't you accept that these restrictions are separating a lot of people from their families? Oh they "may" but in reality they can't.

Which bit of this stopped you checking up with your parents or is an issue for you? You didn't meet up for Christmas when it was allowed? Really?
    people most certainly can walk outside with family members of their household. People may meet with people from another household in outdoor settings when taking exercise. That for essential reasons you can travel as far as is needed. That you can still travel to check in parents etc etc.

We have family members regularly checking on parents. They even meet up for exercise as is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

You have my sympathies on this. If tlyou feel you are able there are a number of good services and agencies who may be able to help ...

Just one thing. A numer of posters have already highlighted the abysmal click bait media reports which have been circulating. That is one of them unfortunately.

Just to correct that.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40230062.html

Mind yourself and Stay safe.

You couldn't resist replying to this correcting him? Could you not just ignore it and let him vent?

Irony alert..

followed up with

:confused:

Science deniers like you are dangerous in a society!

robbiezero wrote: »
    And 9 weeks becomes 15 weeks and 15 weeks becomes 24.

Nah, I'm off for a can with Bob.

Especially that Bob’s private pub in his shed in the backyard is getting more and more visitors with ever passing week.

It may be a long while before we see low numbers of cases again. Change of seasons should certainly help, as it looks that the lockdown is bottoming out with regard to that.

• Advertisement

I do think we are being locked up, but that 5km limit is for exercise (and is unfair for many who don’t have sea/mountains in their doorstep) - you can go further for other reasons.

I can walk around some housing estates. Lovely.

Case numbers are down since January and vaccination numbers are up, yet we're still under the same level of restrictions today as we were at the peak.

Yes case numbers are down - but because we had the accolade of the highest rate of infection in the world only a month ago in January- thats taking a little time to get back to manageable levels.

And yes vaccinations have started. However not even the UK who are well ahead in the vaccination stakes - have yet rolled back their restrictions.

Seriously how is any of this surprising?

Especially that Bob’s private pup in his shed in the backyard is getting more and more visitors with ever passing week.

It may be a long while before we see low numbers of cases again.

I suspect you could be right. Like I said, too many stupid Bob's, everyone else will pay for it with longer restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

On a sidenote, regardless where you stand on the restrictions side, I think we can all agree that our leaders/government are completely misreading the situation and the last 3 or 4 days have been an absolute PR/communication disaster. Even if you fully agree with restrictions and continued lockdown statements this week have done massive damage to their cause. Had they not made a single statement this week they'd be in a 500% better position. They actually started the endgame in my opinion. I dont think there is a way back from this. Relaxations to some degree will now have to happen come on March 5th or the whole thing is going to collapse anyway.

I suspect you could be right. Like I said, too many stupid Bob's, everyone else will pay for it with longer restrictions.

I’m afraid that I’m tbf.

Consider that for a moment.

Let me consider that for a moment........Ye it bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

:rolleyes:

If as you say, the restrictions worked! Why are we doing it again?

If on the other hand the restrictions did not work! Why are we doing it again?

Definition of insanity comes to mind.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

:confused:

Science deniers like you are dangerous in a society!

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Rationalisation - i.e. making excuses, a defense mechanism in which controversial behaviors or feelings are justified and explained in a seemingly rational or logical manner to avoid the true explanation.

Nothing to do with being rational or thinking of one self as a rational person.

I know these things. I was playing with words.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    You couldn't resist replying to this correcting him? Could you not just ignore it and let him vent?

You couldn't resist attacking one of the only two posters who actually bothered to reply expressing sympathy as to the OPs circumstances?

And note the only correction made was regarding dangerous misinformation being pushed by others and clearly not the poster. But you already know that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement