Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

323 wrote: »
    If as you say, the restrictions worked! Why are we doing it again?
    If on the other hand the restrictions did not work! Why are we doing it again?
    Definition of insanity comes to mind.

Wrong way round my friend.

Restrictions worked following the first peak in April 2020. Numbers declined.

There was a resurgence after the ****fest which was Christmas - another peak.

Case numbers now coming down but a way to go yet. What's not working?

Several definitions come to mind - none of which I will write here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes case numbers are down - but because we had the accolade of the highest rate of infection in the world only a month ago in January- thats taking a little time to get back to manageable levels.

And yes vaccinations have started. However not even the UK who are well ahead in the vaccination stakes - have yet rolled back their restrictions.

Seriously how is any of this surprising?

You're the one who said we'd open up more when those two things happened. They've happened, and we haven't opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

On a sidenote, regardless where you stand on the restrictions side, I think we can all agree that our leaders/government are completely misreading the situation and the last 3 or 4 days have been an absolute PR/communication disaster. Even if you fully agree with restrictions and continued lockdown statements this week have done massive damage to their cause. Had they not made a single statement this week they'd be in a 500% better position. They actually started the endgame in my opinion. I dont think there is a way back from this. Relaxations to some degree will now have to happen come on March 5th or the whole thing is going to collapse anyway.

100 per cent...micheal martin and friends are a disaster...people are ignoring all government advice now and rightly so...if i worked in hospitality or tourism i would be raging right now...being told mid febuary in an rte headline that your industry will be staying closed until midsummer just shows a total lack of empathy and respect to the hardworking decent people employed and running their own business who are watching their livelyhoods go down the toilet....i talked to people who told me they have been hit with a couple of grand tax bill as well through been putting on the PUP for a few months...no such thing as free money...will the people who are prolonging restrictions be hit in the pocket?of course not

Which bit of this stopped you checking up with your parents or is an issue for you? You didn't meet up for Christmas when it was allowed? Really?

We have family members regularly checking on parents. They even meet up for exercise as is allowed.

Plenty of people didn't meet up for Christmas as it was obviously a bad idea despite being allowed due to the rising case numbers.

What's allowed and what's safe aren't necessarily the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Elessar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Restrictions worked following the first peak in April 2020. Numbers declined.

You don’t believe seasonality was a factor in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You're the one who said we'd open up more when those two things happened. They've happened, and we haven't opened.

You missed this bit?
    Yes case numbers are down - but because we had the accolade of the highest rate of infection in the world only a month ago in January- thats taking a little time to get back to manageable levels.

And yes vaccinations have started. However not even the UK who are well ahead in the vaccination stakes - have yet rolled back their restrictions.

Seriously how is any of this surprising?

You missed this bit?

Is 800 cases a day more manageable than 8000?

I'm not arguing for everything to open like. I'm just frustrated with the slow pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Elessar wrote: »

They’re a crowd of lunatics if it isn’t a joke. Covid caused waiting lists now, my memory must be very bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

While we're at it we should bring in fines for people who don't wash their hands after they use the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

personally i think we are start to move to a better place purely because of the changing opinion of the population...talk to your friends,your collegues if you are working,your family...nobody is calling for more restrictions,everyone is questioning the wisdom of lockdowns and feeling hugely let down by the government and nphet one year on that we are not dealing with this in a more targeted balanced smart way....everytime we leave our front door we accept a level of risk...and so it is with covid...common sense has been thrown out the window...

Agreed and although anecdotal pretty much everyone I talk to is deeply unhappy with the government's approach.

Its funny that every time the public opinion seems to turn to one of majority frustration, a new variant seems to appear like a rabbit out of a hat and take over the media frenzy.

Brazil variant this week, in preparation for lockdown Easter I guess. It could be more deadly and it might be more contagious... who knows, but Tony is concerned. Better not leave 5km.

Where do you reckon the May bank holiday lockdown narrative (sorry, "variant") will come from? I fancy Canada myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

So now we get to add “we need to get the waiting list numbers down” to the list of excuses

“Flatten the curve”
    “The next two weeks are crucial”
    “We need to get the numbers down”
    “Vaccinations will help us”
    “We need a critical mass to be vaccinated”
    “We need to get hospital figures down”
    “Cases need to be under 100”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

100% confirms the tunnel vision of NPHET. They see the lockdown and covid restrictions as an opportunity to clear waiting lists, that ironically their own recommendations exasperated.

Not a single **** given about the rest of the population or any consequences of their actions outside of their immediate domain.

JRant wrote: »
    I would have thought we'll see severe restrictions brought in around then. All the indicators from the government to date would show this to be the case and if NPHET are still a thing by then you can almost bank on it.

So even though th Government are going for a long period of suppression while we roll the vaccines out you think this will happen afterwards? Why?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

And I actually thought Ronan Glynn had a bit more cop on than Tony.

This is disgraceful. That protest next week might get bigger numbers than we think regardless of whos organising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hellrazer wrote: »
    And I actually thought Ronan Glynn had a bit more cop on than Tony.

This is disgraceful. That protest next week might get bigger numbers than we think regardless of whos organising it.

What he is actually quoted as saying is until the services " recommence " .That is not saying " getting them cleared " or "getting them reduced " It simply saying recommenced which could be done in a week .

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

You couldn't resist attacking one of the only two posters who actually bothered to reply expressing sympathy as to the OPs circumstances?

And note the only correction made was regarding dangerous misinformation being pushed by others and clearly not the poster. But you already know that.

Any attempt at feigning sympathy was erased with your smug correction. But your already know that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The gist of the article is we're prioritising the reopening of healthcare & education

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

...unless your passport happens to be out of date.

You'd have to be a bit of a silly person to have all that other stuff organised now and have an out-of-date passport wouldn't you? It's not unheard of for there to be delays when processing passports.

Some people will forever be putting excuses or barriers in their own way or crying that they want to do something while simultaneously coming up with an excuse why it's someone else's fault they can't do it.

BTW, you don't need a passport to travel to the UK. So you can just go there!

• Advertisement

So now we get to add “we need to get the waiting list numbers down” to the list of excuses

“Flatten the curve”
    “The next two weeks are crucial”
    “We need to get the numbers down”
    “Vaccinations will help us”
    “We need a critical mass to be vaccinated”
    “We need to get hospital figures down”
    “Cases need to be under 100”

They're making it up as they go along, creating a mountain out of a molehill. Is it any wonder public sentiment is turning sharply, we're being treated as a flock of sheep existing to absently chew the cud and not question the latest underhanded clause in prolonging restrictions. I find myself more receptive to the idea of an organised protest movement, we've been trampled on long enough and it's time to assert our human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Graham wrote: »
    The gist of the article is we're prioritising the reopening of healthcare & education

Do you know what you can do with your facts?

The thread has decided we are not opening up again until everyone on a waiting list is cleared.

May 2027. Click and Collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

NPHET/ Government through the media are terrifying the Nation about variants , particularly the Brazilian variant , it turns out 5,500 people have already flown here from these Hotspots this year (thats in 6 weeks) :-

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/covid-variant-fears-as-over-5500-fly-here-from-virus-hotspots-40114210.html

No worries we have the cure - just keep extending the Lockdown, serioulsy if these variants were so dangerous why did they not close down travel from these Hotspots ? The Brazilian variant was well known before Christmas,

If lockdown lasts until May as it seems it will and you live in a different county to your parents like me, you’ll have had 1 week in the last 7 months were you were “allowed” to see your family.

Let that sink in!

And then knock it off with this nobody is locked up rubbish.

Europe’s longest and strictest lockdown has failed miserably time and time again and yet we still keep it.

Edit: misread that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

Agreed and although anecdotal pretty much everyone I talk to is deeply unhappy with the government's approach.

Its funny that every time the public opinion seems to turn to one of majority frustration, a new variant seems to appear like a rabbit out of a hat and take over the media frenzy.

Brazil variant this week, in preparation for lockdown Easter I guess. It could be more deadly and it might be more contagious... who knows, but Tony is concerned. Better not leave 5km.

Where do you reckon the May bank holiday lockdown narrative (sorry, "variant") will come from? I fancy Canada myself.
    definitley...the brazil varient scaremongering is prob to help the hotel quarantine to get over the line...yes can definitley see the canadian moose varient becoming a factor,why not each country can have 1 varient lets keep this going for another decade...the biggest ar$e covering exercise the world has ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

thebaz wrote: »
    NPHET/ Government through the media are terrifying the Nation about variants , particularly the Brazilian variant , it turns out 5,500 people have already flown here from these Hotspots this year (thats in 6 weeks) :-

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/covid-variant-fears-as-over-5500-fly-here-from-virus-hotspots-40114210.html

No worries we have the cure - just keep extending the Lockdown.

It’s just so insulting to our efforts. They really do take us for idiots. I never thought I’d say it but I hate this country at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Your choices have consequences.
    Your inability to see those consequences is your problem, not others.

If you choose to live in separate countries then you choose to accept potential consequences of that. Even if you haven't cared enough to think about them

County. Not country.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Read an article this morning that has since been disappeared that nphet want to keep the country in lockdown until waiting lists are down. Something like 600,000 people waiting on treatment for various issues.

What?

It's time to give them the boot and open up. This is beyond insanity.

Penfailed wrote: »
    County. Not country.

Sorry. I misread that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Euq3VU2XEAIGXyJ?format=jpg&name=small

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement