Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

zgemma h7s - viewing & recording 2 saorview channels at same time

• 20-02-2021 10:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8

About to buy this box, just wondering if the Zgemma H7S can extract two channels at the same time from the one aerial input?

e.g. i watch rte1 and can also record rte2 at same time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The problem with Saorview is that they use two frequencies (muxes) with the channels split between them. See here for details Because most boxes only have one terrestrial tuner they can only watch/record from one mux at a time. However if you wanted to, say watch RTE1 and record RTE2 you could use the TVs tuner to watch and let the box record. You cant record both muxes at once on a single tuner. You can watch/record if both stations are on the same mux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It should be possible to add a USB DVB-T (Saorview) tuner to the box, thus providing two tuners for Saorview.
    The tuner device would need to be selected specifically for the purpose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 jimgallagher

The tuner device would need to be selected specifically for the purpose.

Could you elaborate on that bit?

Does that manifest itself clunkily in the UI or something?

If it can't do that, i might pay the extra to go with Gigablue UHD Quad and get them to add the twin hybrid dvb-c/-t tuner as the extra optional tuner to cover the watch and record across 2 saorsat muxes.

two and a half times more expensive but from what i gather, the 8 demodulators (if i switch sat lnb to Unicable) would mean i could then record up to 8 sat channels (regardless of which of the 4 signal quadrants they come in ).

Switching the folks from sky so just want them not to lose functionality. any comments welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Essentially you need to ensure that a Linux driver and firmware is available for the chipset in the tuner and is available on the OS you have running.
    I have very little experience with Enigma so not the one to make any definitive pronouncements on this.
    I have a couple of Zgemma H2S here and have successfully used cheap USB tuners for Saorview.
    If it can't do that, i might pay the extra to go with Gigablue UHD Quad and get them to add the twin hybrid dvb-c/-t tuner as the extra optional tuner to cover the watch and record across 2 saorsat muxes.

two and a half times more expensive but from what i gather, the 8 demodulators (if i switch sat lnb to Unicable) would mean i could then record up to 8 sat channels (regardless of which of the 4 signal quadrants they come in ).

Switching the folks from sky so just want them not to lose functionality. any comments welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

In practice would the folks ever need to watch/record more than 3 things at once?

• Advertisement

In practice would the folks ever need to watch/record more than 3 things at once?

prob not but there may be scheduled recordings which might clash (shows for the small kids etc..). probably overkill but the cost for the unicable lnb is €60ish which doesnt seem too bad for what it provides.

are you thinking it's not worth it? it may be a case of me getting carried away and over-speccing!

Essentially you need to ensure that a Linux driver and firmware is available for the chipset in the tuner and is available on the OS you have running.
    I have very little experience with Enigma so not the one to make any definitive pronouncements on this.
    I have a couple of Zgemma H2S here and have successfully used cheap USB tuners for Saorview.

Ah cool. leaning towards OpenViX. handy with linux so as long it's just initial setup (which i'll do) then should be ok.

Advertisement