Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clickbait ice-cream

• 21-02-2021 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

It's everywhere - EVERY-F*CKING-WHERE. Clickbait.

Bought a tub of ice cream last night and I was like 'Oh this is great. I can be a fat f*cker and eat the whole thing while staying inside my calorie quota'.

It's only 495 calories per tub.

You can't miss it. That fact is SPRAWLED across the front of the tub, dare I say purposely, to appeal to fat whores like myself.

So I ate it and felt pretty good about it.

Until I turned the tub around and looked at the nutritional information. There's a tiny piece of writing above the data and it says 'this tub contains five scoops'.

Ah so the whole tub isn't 495 calories then. It's 495 calories per five scoops, and there's at least 25 scoops in it, so actually I had 2500 calories in one sitting and ruined my diet.

Why in the name of God would five scoops of a tub equate to the whole thing? Part of me knew it was too good to be true. Part of me when I was eating it knew that this tasted too nice to be as calorie dense as a couple of chicken breasts.

Fat people have enough problems as it is without the good folks at Gianni's ice cream tricking us into thinking we're eating less calories than we actually are. The clue is in the name looking back - Gianni's.

Crafty Italians.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

You didn't click on the ice cream though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Calories quota...hahahahaha

"fat whores like myself." This gave me a little chuckle I have to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hammer89 wrote:
    Crafty Italians.

Its called marketing, and they're not all that clever, morally flexible maybe, but not clever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ice cream is fattening shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hammer89 wrote: »

You can't miss it. That fact is SPRAWLED across the front of the tub, dare I say purposely, to appeal to fat whores like myself.

You had me at fat whores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Ice cream is fattening shocker.

More fattening than stipulated. Aldi better lawyer up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yeah I bought a supermarket pizza and the calories for half a pizza were fairly prominent.
    I've never eaten half a pizza in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Bloody Germans.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Yeah I bought a supermarket pizza and the calories for half a pizza were fairly prominent.

I occasionally break a large frozen pizza in half and eat each half separately.

• Advertisement

I occasionally break a large frozen pizza in half and eat each half separately.

Do you keep the other half in your gee Rodney?

Buddy Bubs wrote: »

I've never eaten five scoops of ice cream in my life.

Do you keep the other half in your gee Rodney?

No, the freezer usually. (Plus I don’t have a gee, but thanks for asking.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

Until I turned the tub around and looked at the nutritional information. There's a tiny piece of writing above the data and it says 'this tub contains five scoops'.

Ah so the whole tub isn't 495 calories then. It's 495 calories per five scoops, and there's at least 25 scoops in it, so actually I had 2500 calories in one sitting and ruined my diet.

Why in the name of God would five scoops of a tub equate to the whole thing?

Perhaps the ice cream gave you brain freeze, but your logic took a hard swerve in the middle there.

1 tub = 5 scoops = 495 calories
    ie there are 5 servings of 99 calories, or one serving of 495, depending on your mood.

Unless you're using a melon baller, there's no way you'd get 25 scoops out of a normal tub of ice cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Wench is right. Only 495 calories in the tub. You read it right the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

More fattening than stipulated. Aldi better lawyer up.

The "cream" part kind of implies fattening.

wench wrote: »
    Perhaps the ice cream gave you brain freeze, but your logic took a hard swerve in the middle there.

ie there are 5 servings of 99 calories, or one serving of 495, depending on your mood.

Unless you're using a melon baller, there's no way you'd get 25 scoops out of a normal tub of ice cream!

I exaggerated with the 25 scoops but there is absolutely more than five. The entire tub is not 495 calories - it's more.

The five scoops bit just suggests it contains 5 servings.
    That doesn't change the total calories in the tub.

The five scoops bit just suggests it contains 5 servings.
    That doesn't change the total calories in the tub.

It certainly does Wench because it says in large writing '495 calories per tub' on the front but if you crunch the numbers [500g tub, 176 calories per 100g] which I've just done then it's clear this Gianni fella is a charlatan.

Isn't the tub 500ml, not g?
    A pic might help us all here

• Advertisement

You're actually right Wench. It's 100g and 500ml. The good news I didn't ruin my diet after all. The bad news I had a breakfast roll earlier because I thought I did.

Yay for maths! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Learn about nutrition and you'll never have this problem again

I blame the teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

I blame that fooker Ben and his mate Jerry

Could there not gave been 1 scoop or 1000 scoops in it?

Bang of "im not that hungry, I could only eat a 6 slice pizza" here.

I blame America and failure to use metric.

And whats a tablespoon anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

And whats a tablespoon anyway?
    It's the kind of spoon you eat breakfast with.

Granted, they vary in reality, but the quantity is around 15 ml, or around 0.000000012 of an acre-foot.

I do object generally to "per serving" nutritional information. They're gamed to make the food look healthier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

mikhail wrote: »
    I do object generally to "per serving" nutritional information. They're gamed to make the food look healthier.

Restaurants, and other eateries, are against having calorie information “displayed” on menus etc for fear people won’t eat as much in their establishments.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

500kcal of Ice cream in one sitting is mad. That's a quarter for your recommended intake, in just ice cream. 100 - 150kcal would be more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

timeToLive wrote: »
    Learn about nutrition and you'll never have this problem again

People used to have this thing called common sense.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

It's everywhere - EVERY-F*CKING-WHERE. Clickbait.

Bought a tub of ice cream last night and I was like 'Oh this is great. I can be a fat f*cker and eat the whole thing while staying inside my calorie quota'.

So I ate it and felt pretty good about it.

Why in the name of God would five scoops of a tub equate to the whole thing? Part of me knew it was too good to be true. Part of me when I was eating it knew that this tasted too nice to be as calorie dense as a couple of chicken breasts.

Fat people have enough problems as it is without the good folks at Gianni's ice cream tricking us into thinking we're eating less calories than we actually are. The clue is in the name looking back - Gianni's.

Crafty Italians.

It didn't ruin your diet, you did that yourself by eating a whole tub of ice cream !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Load of rot. I crave salty bitter, don’t like the sickly sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Are you implying that the OP is a bit thicc?

500kcal of Ice cream in one sitting is mad. That's a quarter for your recommended intake, in just ice cream. 100 - 150kcal would be more like it.

Well Hyperbollix if my recommended intake was 2000 calories a day I wouldn't need to be on a diet in the first place.

It didn't ruin your diet, you did that yourself by eating a whole tub of ice cream !!!

No I did that by eating a breakfast roll in the belief that I'd already gone over my quota Hego :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Damn. I expected more when I opened this thread , should have know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

That **** is annoying. They'll have calories per serve then classify a chocolate bar as 2 servings etc.

Having said that there's a lot to be said to taking a couple of weeks out and weighing your food out. Can be quite the eye opener to learn real portions sizes vs your calorific needs for a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

...you mean lickbait

#lickbait

Advertisement