Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson

Options
  • 21-02-2021 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

Is she untouchable in the Irish media, may have missed it but saw no mention of her after the Panorama documentary on the missing Dubai princess Latifa on Monday.
    Remember the staged lunch Robbo had with Latifa as her rich Dubai friends requested to assure everything was ok.
    Was Robbo human rights commissioner then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Yes, she has clearly been given an easy ride here. No surprise there of course.

I think there was an article (or two) afterwards where she claimed she was duped, but nothing much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Might be more a sign of how irrelevant she has become in everyday Irish life? I think it would have been a bigger story here twenty odd years ago.

If the newspapers thought this was a unit shifter they certainly would have run with it for days imo. And then you have covid sucking up all the oxygen in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Was never impressed with the way she resigned as President, as if being the head of state was an inconvenience in her career path.

She's meant to be quite snippy and disinterested in people in real life away from the cameras.

Anyway, she's one of these people that official Ireland won't have a bad word said about her.

She's also the chair of something creepily called 'The Elders', which appears to be like an Avengers-type set-up for self-important pensioners who held jobs at the UN and other Global Agencies but refuse to go quietly into retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭StevenToast

David McSavage had her down to a tee with his "President for Life" routine...

Bring back the Savage Eye!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I saw the thread title and thought jaysus I hope she hasn't died.

• Advertisement

She will never get a grilling from the media due to her politics.

Yurt! wrote: »
    She's also the chair of something creepily called 'The Elders', which appears to be like an Avengers-type set-up for self-important pensioners who held jobs at the UN and other Global Agencies but refuse to go quietly into retirement.

Nice little earner for her, I’m sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Untouchable or not her involvement in the Dubai Princess story is disturbing. Having watched the visit she made it was abundantly clear not all was normal and its beggar's belief a women of her international and human rights experience had little or no questions to ask.

It's only since further and new video was released and the panorama program Mary decides to say she was taken advantage of. Her behaviour is appalling and she's lost all credibility and its equally disgusting no Irish Media are questioning her and her involvement in propping up the Dubai Royal families reputation at the expense of this unfortunate Princess.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Millionaire Mary Robinson I can't stand her just a fake vibe from her

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Millionaire Mary Robinson I can't stand her just a fake vibe from her

She went to finishing school in Paris. I think that's were that vibe comes from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yurt! wrote: »
    Was never impressed with the way she resigned as President, as if being the head of state was an inconvenience in her career path.

She's meant to be quite snippy and disinterested in people in real life away from the cameras.

Anyway, she's one of these people that official Ireland won't have a bad word said about her.

Bang on.

I've a Garda friend who worked on presidential detail who said many a times that she was one of the most aloof people he's ever had the displeasure to meet and that there was great relief by all when she shuffled along.

As for this "The Elders" bollox, she flounces about universe dressed like a ruler from a friendly planet ocasionally landing on planet earth just to call us backward ****s.

Pompous prig.

humberklog wrote: »
    Bang on.

I've a Garda friend who worked on presidential detail who said many a times that she was one of the most aloof people he's ever had the displeasure to meet and that there was great relief by all when she shuffled along.

Maybe she was doing them a favour by leaving office early? If so then we have misjudged her.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Maybe she was doing them a favour by leaving office early? If so then we have misjudged her.

I don't think she's a person that'd be caring too much about other people's feelings good or bad.

Nose solidly in trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the original grifter that inspired the million other NGO grifters now being paid by us to undermine the country while lecturing us

A globetrotting environmentalist. Do as I say not as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Remember the staged lunch Robbo had with Latifa as her rich Dubai friends requested to assure everything was ok.
    Was Robbo human rights commissioner then?
    No, she had left the UN job in 2002 after she made a hames of chairing a conference on racism, naively allowing it to become an Israel-bashing fest.

Just to be fair, there is some coverage of her involvement, and even some individual articles that do query what she was at, for instance:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/ourview/arid-40228799.html

But some people will have a hard time digesting this issue, as they genuinely see her 1990 election as a watershed - and, maybe if you are a woman, that election has some seismic significance that might otherwise be hard to see. Like, only a few days ago she spoke at a UCD human rights conference, where the whole Latifa business just didn't exist.

For a bunch of people, she still walks on water.

https://twitter.com/Deemcgillicuddy/status/1362446521187381253

No, she had left the UN job in 2002 after she made a hames of chairing a conference on racism, naively allowing it to become an Israel-bashing fest.

Just to be fair, there is some coverage of her involvement, and even some individual articles that do query what she was at, for instance:

But some people will have a hard time digesting this issue, as they genuinely see her 1990 election as a watershed - and, maybe if you are a woman, that election has some seismic significance that might otherwise be hard to see. Like, only a few days ago she spoke at a UCD human rights conference, where the whole Latifa business just didn't exist.

Lots of ‘diversity’ on show there. 7 white women.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Jaysus.

These people are seriously deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

The whole Princess Latifa affair is probably deserving of its own thread.
    If our Govt. had any gumption they'd threaten Al Maktoum with sanctions unless they allow her wellbeing to be independently verified.
    They'll never take the lead on it though because business interests trumps all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Dubai full of utter ****. Iran should nuke the place.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Mary comes out terrible in this BBC piece about Latifa IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts8FJhKK7ss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭francois

humberklog wrote: »
    Bang on.

As for this "The Elders" bollox, she flounces about universe dressed like a ruler from a friendly planet ocasionally landing on planet earth just to call us backward ****s.

Pompous prig.

"I've a friend"
    Anecdote not evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭downburst

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    The whole Princess Latifa affair is probably deserving of its own thread.
    If our Govt. had any gumption they'd threaten Al Maktoum with sanctions unless they allow her wellbeing to be independently verified.
    They'll never take the lead on it though because business interests trumps all.

Right. Ireland unilaterally sanctions a country on account of a video of a single princess under house arrest in a Muslim country. 8 billion people on this planet. Lots in deep and dire straights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Huge crossover or 'intersection' ironically between she/her's, he/him's, they/them's and the aul deaf ear to anything that might upset their little critical social justice world. Dr. Dee is not at all unusual in our places of learning and policy makers.

How is the ‘Mary Robinson Centre’ progressing?

“Ireland’s first Presidential Library” apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

And here’s to you mrs Robinson , Jesus loves you more than you will know ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

How is the ‘Mary Robinson Centre’ progressing?

“Ireland’s first Presidential Library” apparently.

This is her house when it was put up for sale

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/farm-property/connacht-farm-sales/take-a-look-inside-former-president-mary-robinsons-home-which-just-sold-for-400k-less-than-expected-36492083.html

Sold for €1.55m

This is her 'childhood" home which was bought by Mayo County Council in Aug 2019 for €600000

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mayo-council-buys-mary-robinson-s-childhood-home-for-about-600k-1.3976636

She's not on my top 10 000 influential persons list ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

gozunda wrote: »

She's not on my top 10 000 influential persons list ...

name them so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    And here’s to you mrs Robinson , Jesus loves you more than you will know ...

Oh Mary, why don't you have some sense? please do something, to restore my confidence

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I think it’s disgusting how she treated Sheikha Latifa.

Advertisement