Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

By any definition this is newsworthy.

Former President of Ireland and UN Commissioner for Human Rights goes on national TV to address her part in a sad story of human rights abuse and kidnap.

There is a lot more to come out.

The BBC thinks it's worth covering https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56188745

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

mickdw wrote: »
    It appears they arranged for Robinson to attend at dinner while the princess was instructed to behave. It is also thought that the princess didnt know M Robinson so that whole scenario was a one sided set up to discredit the princess.
    What did Robinson think she was doing - at best she was there to show the world that the princess was 'a crazy' and to support the royals while believing this all to be correct.
    At worst, she willingly took part in a sham for money.
    Either way, she was wasnt doing any favours to the princess.
    If the princess is dead, Robinson has blood on her hands.

I’m well aware, my post was a sarcastic response to one of her supporters down playing the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I’m well aware, my post was a sarcastic response to one of her supporters down playing the story.
    Lol, I'm no supporter of Robinson. I've had no time for her since she resigned the presidency to take up a UN post, using our highest office as a career stepping stone.

I was literally wondering what the fuss was about, having not followed the story - perhaps hoping someone might post a reader's digest version of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I was literally wondering what the fuss was about, having not followed the story - perhaps hoping someone might post a reader's digest version of events.
    Tbh, I think the Tubridy interview was as comprehensive an admission as we're going to get from Mary R. There's a few inconsistencies left, but she has basically admitted she made a huge error. I suspect she's genuinely shaken that her "friend" Princess Haya, who served with her on some international humanitarian body and is a UN "Messenger of Peace", completely took her for a ride and Mary is probably getting some faint idea of why many of us are skeptical of professional humanitarians and their wealthy sponsors.

There's a few strands to the story, but I'll try to summarise it as I understand it.

Early December 2018, Panorama broadcast a programme that said Princess Latifa was being held against her will in Dubai. She'd made an attempt to escape from the country on a yacht the previous March, but was picked up and returned. They broadcast a video (which was also up on youtube) where Latifa said she feared for her safety.

After this Panorama programme, Princess Haya (sixth wife of Latifa's da, but not her mother) contacted Mary R asking her to come to Dubai to help with a family "dilemma", this dilemma being to explain to the UN that Latifa was mentally ill and safe in the care of her family. Mary R did this in mid December 2018 - her flight being arranged and paid for by Haya - and Mary R wrote to the UN Commissioner for Human Rights, attaching the now famous pictures of her meeting Latifa to prove she was alive.

The Dubai Government published the pictures on 24 December; shortly after Christmas Mary R appeared on BBC radio and issued a statement to the effect that Latifa was "vulnerable", regretted making the youtube video claiming she was unsafe and that Latifa was in the "loving care" of her family. Mary R said she was making no further comment on the matter.

In April 2019, unexpectedly, Haya fled Dubai with her two children. UK papers reported that Haya was having an affair with her bodyguard, the discovery of which may explain why the Sheik was tweeting poetry that suggested she had betrayed him. (This story is weird as can be). In July, somewhat petulantly, Mary R answered a journalist's question about Latifa's case to the effect that Haya was still her "friend".

A couple of weeks ago, Panorama broadcast a second programme about Latifa featuring more video footage of her in captivity. Mary R also appears in the programme, saying she was misled by her "friend" Haya, as Haya herself was misled. Exactly what they were "misled" about isn't clear, apart from Mary R seemed to think the photos of her meeting Latifa would only be shared with the UN and not published. Mary R says she didn't ask Latifa if she was being held against her will, as she had been told Latifa was bipolar and she (Mary R) didn't know how to talk to someone who was bipolar.

Finally (I honestly didn't think this would take so long) Mary R gave her interview on the Late Late on Friday where she admits she's made a huge mistake and that she now completely accepts Latifa's account, and that she now believes Haya to have knowingly participated in misleading her (albeit, she says she doesn't know what pressure Haya was under to carry out the deception).

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

humberklog wrote: »
    Bang on.

I've a Garda friend who worked on presidential detail who said many a times that she was one of the most aloof people he's ever had the displeasure to meet and that there was great relief by all when she shuffled along.

As for this "The Elders" bollox, she flounces about universe dressed like a ruler from a friendly planet ocasionally landing on planet earth just to call us backward ****s.

Pompous prig.

She made her husband address her as Mrs President or whatever the official title is while on presidential business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Marys story about being misled cannot be taken seriously , why was she friends with any, of that ruling family of Despots in the first place, human rights are non existant in that country .

Marys story about being misled cannot be taken seriously , why was she friends with any, of that ruling family of Despots in the first place, human rights are non existant in that country .

They're loaded. Mary loves money

Advertisement