Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what version of Windows 10 do I have, HD in HD reader

Options
  • 21-02-2021 1:52pm

hi, I am backing up a HD because it wont boot. I can see all the files when I mount it in a HD reader. I have been trying to find out where I can find out what version of Windows 10 is on the HD, but without success. I am getting multiple answers when I Google it, but no solution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can grab something like Produkey. This is designed to pull Windows keys off your own drive, or another one.

Run it as administrator
    Go to File > Select source
    Select "Load the products keys from the external Software Registry hive"
    Enter "[drive letter]:\Windows\System32\Config\SOFTWARE", where [drive letter] is whatever your other drive is
    And hit ok

You should see the version of Windows on that drive, along with its key, if you want to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

hi, I am backing up a HD because it wont boot. I can see all the files when I mount it in a HD reader. I have been trying to find out where I can find out what version of Windows 10 is on the HD, but without success. I am getting multiple answers when I Google it, but no solution.
    On that drive, navigate to \Windows\Inf
    There should be setupapi.app.????????.log files, check latest by date.

Open with notepad

thanks guys, both of those worked.

Advertisement