Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build over time upgrade advice!

Options
  • 21-02-2021 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of Mountain Mods UFO Cases I can use as the basis for the build. I want to build a relatively future proof build centered around an AMD CPU, Mobo combination, The Mobo must be good for future CPU upgrades.

I was thinking of a Ryzen 5 AMD 3600 CPU with 2 x 8GB sticks of 3200 RAM utilising a GPU + PSU I already have:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING + EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3 Power Supply (UK Cable) + EVGA PowerLink

As a basis for the GPU and the Power Supply, with a future upgrade targeted when the world of silicon starts to normalise post covid.

I can go custom water loop as I have a decent amount of tubing, Rads, pumps etc. in the shed I can repurpose for a custom loop. Would just need to pay out for the specific blocks for the CPU and GPU or buy them with the blocks already mounted.

Can someone point out a good combo of CPU, Mobo, RAM etc, which would be future proof enough to accept at 5800x or better sometime down the line, Also what is the best bang for buck GPU wise or am I best making do with the GTX1060 for now while I wait for the world of silicon to come back to some semblance of normality. I currently have 3 x 1080p Panels but would like to upgrade to a single curved higer def display at some point in the future I was thinking I need at least a B450M or better Mobo chipset to keep myself in a good spot for future upgrades.

All thoughts and suggestions greatly received.

Many thanks,

Inq.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

B550 would be your best bet for mobo, b450 is at the end of the road in terms of BIOS updates for the 5000 series chips I think (originally they weren't even going to get BIOS updates for 5000 series), and PCIE 4.0 looks like it's becoming more mainstream with the likes of smart access memory and faster nvme drives etc.

3600mhz CL16 ram should be fine for quite some time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad1337

Ryzen 3600 is a 65W chip, a cheap cooler like Hyper 212 would suffice but if you have the time and equipment go ahead with your custom loop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1137619-motherboard-vrm-tier-list-v2-currently-amd-only/
    Get a Tier S- (e.g. MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi (€165)) and you'll be grand with anything up to 5900X.
    MSI X570 Tomahawk (€220) if you want the extra chipset lanes for extra PCIe devices/SSDs.

Tier S (Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master (€255)) if you think you might pick up a 5950X in the future.

Be aware that socket AM4 is likely to not receive any CPUs past 5000-series.

Advertisement