Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing Win 10 to a SSD connected via USB HD reader

Options
  • 21-02-2021 6:51pm

hi,

I am trying to install Windows 10 on to a new SSD HD which I have mounted in a HD reader connected via USB.

I was going to use Win to USB software to write the Windows 10 ISO to the SSD drive, but it doesn't support Win 10 pro, so I tried using software called Rufus which I cant make head nor tail of. (it needs to be pro because the previous damaged HD had Win 10 pro)

So I unzipped the Win 10 ISO from my pc, to the new SSD in the reader using software called 7zip. I changed the boot order in the BIOS to USB first, but when I reboot, I get the message that there is no operating system found.

I thought by rebooting to USB, that the win 10 installation prompts would appear.

thanks for taking the time to read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The drive is not bootable in that mode.

Use the media creation tool! Or rufus. Just be aware this is creating a W10 boot drive (install media) not a final installation of W10.

ED E wrote: »
    The drive is not bootable in that mode.

Use the media creation tool! Or rufus. Just be aware this is creating a W10 boot drive (install media) not a final installation of W10.

ok, thanks... I will try Media Creation tool first. Rufus doesnt seem to be very straight forward

Advertisement