Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polycarbonate polytunnel: anyone any experience with them

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You'll pay no more from a reputable Irish based company

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You'll pay no more from a reputable Irish based company

Would welcome some links by PM pls

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

there is an Irish Facebook group on polytunnels. Lots of info on the options and suppliers of all polytunnels and polycarbonates. Good of ideas, recommendations etc

Am never online :D so dont do FB etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Would welcome some links by PM pls
    ksb, d plant. Google is your friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

d plant very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've got the (now discontinued) BETA model from KSB, put it up all by myself with brief help from my wife when a third hand was needed.
    It has survived several storms already and other than one or two bolts gone slightly rusty there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's now going into its fourth summer.
    It was significantly cheaper than the one from the OP as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

I'd be interested in the pros and cons of polycarbonate versus an ordinary plastic tunnel. Has anyone experience of both?

I have two coldframe type things (from Aldi) with polycarbonate glazing and they are very annoying to clean because the algae/moss grows inside the polycarbonate and can't be removed. :(:(

Bill Hook wrote: »
    I'd be interested in the pros and cons of polycarbonate versus an ordinary plastic tunnel. Has anyone experience of both?

I have two coldframe type things (from Aldi) with polycarbonate glazing and they are very annoying to clean because the algae/moss grows inside the polycarbonate and can't be removed. :(:(

My conclusion is that polyc is too fiddly as well as the issue you mention.
    The self assembly looks messy and just don't have the strength.
    Finally the KBS ones are from Russia so no thanks Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bill Hook wrote: »

The key is to tape over the edges, where the channels are open, so nothing can get in.
    The main roof sections of the tunnels are made from complete sheets, they are taped at the edges already, so any algae/moss is on the outside only and can be wiped off.
    The front and rear walls do need a bit of attention during assembly as the open channels are vertical and any moisture/dirt that gets in could seep all the way down. But tape them over thoroughly and there's no issue.
    My conclusion is that polyc is too fiddly as well as the issue you mention.
    The self assembly looks messy and just don't have the strength.
    Finally the KBS ones are from Russia so no thanks Putin.

I didn't know that greenhouses are political now ... but hey, I also have a Russian watch collection so I might have a different approach.

Actually, there is one good thing about them being made in Russia...and that's that they are made for their conditions.

Lots of Russians live in big towns but have a holiday/garden plot in the countryside (dacha) where these greenhouses are.
    This means they are designed to make it through a Russian winter with big snow loads without someone being there to look after them all the time ...in other words ..they're sturdy.

As for putting them up ...I think KSB charges something like 180 Euro to assemble it for you

• Advertisement

The fiddly referred specifically to the traditional shaped one they have.
    The other ones look a bit more robust
    As for Putin, your watches are ticking for him :D

So one suggestion, by D Plant is to weld baseplates on to the 26mm pipe and hold down with rawbolts.
    Am concerned that the welding would impact on the galvanised pipe and also if not done properly would weaken the pipe.

Using the normal ground rods not an option due to serious rocks in the very hard marl clay

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

So one suggestion, by D Plant is to weld baseplates on to the 26mm pipe and hold down with rawbolts.
    Am concerned that the welding would impact on the galvanised pipe and also if not done properly would weaken the pipe.

Using the normal ground rods not an option due to serious rocks in the very hard marl clay

if the welding is done right it wont weaken the pipe. You can get a galv repair spray to cover the weld and then paint over it and the base plate with a metal paint like hammerite.

no fear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

......Finally the KBS ones are from Russia so no thanks Putin.

@Calahonda, Uncle Vlad would like your opinion on this :p

Advertisement