Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple backup software or script

Options
  • 21-02-2021 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

I have a friend who is in need of some backup software. I've looked at a few packages Macrium Reflect etc but they don't seem to provide what he's looking for.

What he wants is to backup a folder from his desktop every night to an external drive. He is currently copy and pasting the folder over into a new folder named with the days date. The folders aren't big, just contain a handful of excel and word files.

Is there anyway to automate this process as he often forgets to back them up. What he needs is to be able to view/use them from within explorer, rather than from within the backup apps. Basically, a one-to-one copy to a new folder with the current days date.

I'm not too au fait with writing scripts so can anyone point me in the right direction or give suggestions please.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

What operating system? Would cloud storage (Google/OneDrive/DropBox) be an option?

https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/automatically-backup-usb-drive-when-plugged-in.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

freefilesync.org supports versioning whereby it appends date to versioned files

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Spocker wrote: »
    What operating system? Would cloud storage (Google/OneDrive/DropBox) be an option?

https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/automatically-backup-usb-drive-when-plugged-in.html

Sorry - should have said. He's using Windows 10 Home. I suggested using a cloud service but he wants data to stay local.
    degsie wrote: »
    freefilesync.org supports versioning whereby it appends date to versioned files

Cheers - will take a look at that one. Think I have about 5 backup apps installed on my machine to test by now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

if it's a windows 10 machine, just use file history - no new software to download, it will already be on the machine. I think it allows you to backup just one folder (though tbh no harm to back up all of his folders while he is at it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Simple script I use:

Copy & paste into Notepad:

ROBOCOPY C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\FOLDERNAME K:\Backup\FOLDERNAME/e /r:2
    shutdown.exe /s /t 00

Right click on Desktop in Explorer, Properties, Location to get Username etc.

Change destination drive letter as required; if his external drive is E: for example, then replace K: with E:

Save the file to desktop as Backup.bat (.bat is important - saves it as an executable batch file)

PC will shut down when done. First time run will take a while, depending amount to be copied. Subsequent runs will be incremental so will be faster.

If the external drive letter changes from day to day, see here

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Philipx wrote: »
    Simple script I use:

Copy & paste into Notepad:

ROBOCOPY C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\FOLDERNAME K:\Backup\FOLDERNAME/e /r:2
    shutdown.exe /s /t 00

HTH
    !!! there is typo in this command. !!!
    if you intend to use switch e there should be space right before /e , other way it creates subfolder K:\Backup\FOLDERNAME\e as per below:

PS C:\Users\User> ROBOCOPY C:\Users\User\Desktop\FOLDERNAME T:\Backup\FOLDERNAME/e /r:2

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : 22 February 2021 10:39:52
    Source : C:\Users\User\Desktop\FOLDERNAME\
    Dest = T:\Backup\FOLDERNAME\e\

What is shutdown.exe /s /t 00 for?
    Nothing to do with copy/backup operation, unless intentional computer shutdown

Oh, and just that you aware of
    Should not think as "incremental backup".
    This command will copy all new directories/files and it will update(overwrite) all files if they already exist to the latest version, it wont let you keep previous version.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

1. Correct, unintentional error, there should be a space.

2. As I said in my post PC will shut down when script completes.

Just an option....

Consider using powershell:
    New-variable -name "Backupdate"
    $Backupdate=Get-Date -Format ddMMMyyyy
    ROBOCOPY C:\Users\User\Desktop\DataFolder T:\BackupFolder\$Backupdate /e /r:2

in this instance each run of the script will create folder called by date so will allow for "versioning" at least on per day.
    Set shutdown task so it would execute it on computer shutdown.

output:
    ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : 22 February 2021 14:56:55
    Source : C:\Users\User\Desktop\DataFolder\
    Dest = T:\BackupFolder\22Feb2021\

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/101647/how-to-schedule-a-task-to-run-when-shutting-down-windows

• Advertisement

Philipx wrote: »
    1. Correct, unintentional error, there should be a space.

2. As I said in my post PC will shut down when script completes.

That's going to be useful. He asked me about the backup while I was sorting out another problem for him. Computer was very slow, could only run progs by right clicking them and clicking open, Start button would not respond.....even from the keyboard. Computer hadn't been shut down or restarted in about 4 weeks!!!

FanadMan wrote: »
    Computer hadn't been shut down or restarted in about 4 weeks!!!
    If he was shutting computer, but it was still showing big up time - disable "fast startup" from power options

If he was shutting computer, but it was still showing big up time - disable "fast startup" from power options

After restart, everything was running fine. He's convinced that power cycling wrecks the components. While he's right up to a point, I've convinced him to at least restart every couple of days.

Cheers for the PS script - that is exactly what is needed. Now whether to add the shutdown command without telling him :D

FanadMan wrote: »
    Now whether to add the shutdown command without telling him :D
    Will be rude, especially if he has unsaved work....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

$Backupdate=Get-Date -Format ddMMMyyyy

If you used yyyyMMMdd they would sort easier in Win Explorer. Or I suppose you could just sort by date modified

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If you used yyyyMMMdd they would sort easier in Win Explorer. Or I suppose you could just sort by date modified
    Yeah, i guess you can adjust -Format

Advertisement