Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodlands

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Every single bit of plot explained about four times, but even then it seems to be full of plotholes.
    The actress playing the doctor is brutal...I burst out laughing with the reaction at dinner. She is now working with Nesbitt....okkkk how did she get the keys to the caravan?! Why did Jackie open all his post in front of the team...also a policeman with no security camera...why are all 3 of the main suspects still on the case...it's just so poorly put together.

The bloody necklace again (clearly hinting it will be an even bigger plot device... probably likely the daughter mentioning it in front of the doctor or something stupid)...so he got that back from his dead brother...and it wasn't tested for DNA...but hey here it is for you.

The guy from the young offenders accent is off, Nesbitts is also on a bit of a journey of northern Ireland...oh and his kicking a wall...so manly lol
    It is not good....glad it is only four episodes.
    Just want it to be over and for there to be an ending.

Line of duty....it....is....not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

gmisk wrote: »
    Every single bit of plot explained about four times, but even then it seems to be full of plotholes.
    The actress playing the doctor is brutal...I burst out laughing with the reaction at dinner. She is now working with Nesbitt....okkkk how did she get the keys to the caravan?! Why did Jackie open all his post in front of the team...also a policeman with no security camera...why are all 3 of the main suspects still on the case...it's just so poorly put together.

The bloody necklace again (clearly hinting it will be an even bigger plot device... probably likely the daughter mentioning it in front of the doctor or something stupid)...so he got that back from his dead brother...and it wasn't tested for DNA...but hey here it is for you.

The guy from the young offenders accent is off, Nesbitts is also on a bit of a journey of northern Ireland...oh and his kicking a wall...so manly lol
    It is not good....glad it is only four episodes.
    Just want it to be over and for there to be an ending.

Line of duty....it....is....not.

Sums it up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Jackie living in the caravan and how did Brannick get the keys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Why would the doctor ring him giving what she had gotten delivered to her after he threatened her? Makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

There is a suggestion, that I've read elsewhere, that Brannick didn't actually shoot Adam Corry. He was standing in front of him when he pointed the gun, about 10 feet away but Dinger the pathologist said he was shot in the side of the head from 10 yards.
    When he hid the gun under the lobster pots it showed some markings which suggest it wasn't a real fun and was used for shooting blanks.
    It may be that the whole scene on the island was staged by the two men to flush out someone (Goliath?) who would have been watching.

• Advertisement

Actually I've just watched it back and the pathologist says the bullet entered above the left eye which matches where Brannick was standing though the distance might be off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

Is just me, or did the doctor base her entire Nordie accent off a box set of Derry girls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

onrail wrote: »
    Is just me, or did the doctor base her entire Nordie accent off a box set of Derry girls?

With a bit of Taggart thrown in.

So happy this isn't ten episodes. Still intrigued though.

I don't get the slagging off the nordy accents, it's very difficult to do and to the target audience they just have to sound Irish.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I don't get the slagging off the nordy accents, it's very difficult to do and to the target audience they just have to sound Irish.

It'd probably be irrelevant if the series was top notch. But it isn't, so you're drawn to all the flaws.

Lorcan Cranitch, Charlene McKenna and others seem to do fine with the accent. The doctor just seems a bit meandering. And squeaky. It's distracting. But hey, it's better than anything I'd ever be able to do.

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    It'd probably be irrelevant if the series was top notch. But it isn't, so you're drawn to all the flaws.

Lorcan Cranitch, Charlene McKenna and others seem to do fine with the accent. The doctor just seems a bit meandering. And squeaky. It's distracting. But hey, it's better than anything I'd ever be able to do.

I genuinely don't think it's that bad. Try watching behind her eyes or Marcella now they were both dreadful, the nordy accents in Marcella were truly shocking.

I genuinely don't think it's that bad. Try watching behind her eyes or Marcella now they were both dreadful, the nordy accents in Marcella were truly shocking.

It probably isn't, but I definitely find it a bit distracting. I probably wouldn't if the series had drawn me in.

Marcella I've not seen and I assume you mean the two lads' Scottish accents in Behind Her Eyes? I can't judge properly but they seemed a little clunky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

Not sure if I’m slagging it - it’s just that she sounds EXACTLY like Erin Quinn/Soirse-Monica Whatever (who herself puts on a fairly exaggerated Derry accent!

onrail wrote: »
    Not sure if I’m slagging it - it’s just that she sounds EXACTLY like Erin Quinn/Soirse-Monica Whatever (who herself puts on a fairly exaggerated Derry accent!

She does alright!! Great series though, Derry girls I mean.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    It probably isn't, but I definitely find it a bit distracting. I probably wouldn't if the series had drawn me in.

Marcella I've not seen and I assume you mean the two lads' Scottish accents in Behind Her Eyes? I can't judge properly but they seemed a little clunky.

Sorry I meant the ending to behind her eyes, now that you mention the Scottish accents....

I thought Robs scottish accent was very good. I was surprised to learn he's not scottish.

Sorry I meant the ending to behind her eyes, now that you mention the Scottish accents....

Two English actors. I can't judge but the psychiatrist's one seemed a bit off. And yeah, the series was mental. Beyond mental really, I need new vocabulary.

And yeah, Bloodlands isn't all that bad but it has big faults. Nesbitt has two modes, either staring into space or shouts at people. The dialogue is clunky and over-simplified at times and it's not really believable. But it also has a good cast, nice locations and the storyline is interesting. More series like this on the island can only be a good thing.

john9876 wrote: »
    I thought Robs scottish accent was very good. I was surprised to learn he's not scottish.

I think you're probably right, but only natives can really tell. The psychiatrist's sounded a bit forced and it's the sort of thing that would possibly ruin the series if you were a Scot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

This is no classic but watchable enough. I'll see it out but the overall plot seems rushed and tripping over itself. I think they were trying to be cleverer than they are for something that only lasts four episodes...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A chap at work was insisting that I watch this.

Have to say that I'm three episodes in and I'm just not really sure what the point is. It's all very chaotic and seems very focused on throwing one plot twist after another while every scene seems determined to advance it for the sake of advancing it. Not sure why it was crammed into four episodes either. There's no time to develop either the characters or any sense of suspense. Could also have done with a few more panoramas of James Nesbitt scowling.

The end of episode two was the jumping the shark moment for me to be honest. I'll watch the finale tonight but Line of Duty this is not.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

Not sure why it was crammed into four episodes either.
    Probably because the only reason most of us are still watching is because it's only four episodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

How come I’m only realising now that James Nesbitt’s acting is woeful??

Susan Lynch loves playing a policewoman doesnt she!

Her northern Ireland accent isnt too bad she is doing her best with the material.....but her role in the new series of unforgotten is just a tad juicier!

jojofizzio wrote: »
    How come I’m only realising now that James Nesbitt’s acting is woeful??
    He is pretty poor....but his acting is Oscar worthy versus that Doctor character....
    the fecking stupid bloody pendant I knew it! Christ on a bike it's all so obvious and telegraphed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

gmisk wrote: »
    He is pretty poor....but his acting is Oscar worthy versus that Doctor character....
    the fecking stupid bloody pendant I knew it! Christ on a bike it's all so obvious and telegraphed

Yep,fairly poor from the doctor lady also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Them fncking prods in the ruc are always getting away with murdering catholics.
    Nothing changes.

One minute it's snowing, next minute is isn't. Drives off in daylight, arrives in pitch black. Do they not have a continuity editor anymore in production?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

Lets have a confrontation in the middle of nowhere. That'll go well.

Watch season 2? I will in me hoop!

Well that was all predictably useless....

It's....got....a....second....series!?? Why?!

john9876 wrote: »
    There is a suggestion, that I've read elsewhere, that Brannick didn't actually shoot Adam Corry. He was standing in front of him when he pointed the gun, about 10 feet away but Dinger the pathologist said he was shot in the side of the head from 10 yards.
    When he hid the gun under the lobster pots it showed some markings which suggest it wasn't a real fun and was used for shooting blanks.
    It may be that the whole scene on the island was staged by the two men to flush out someone (Goliath?) who would have been watching.

As you mention the pathologist had a dead body to examine, with a bullet hole in it so unlikely it was staged :pac:

• Advertisement

Ok quick question.
    I am a bit confused on something
    did the doctor kidnap the guy from the RA or not?! I think she did....to start up the Goliath investigation again...

Advertisement