Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning to SSD

Options
  • 21-02-2021 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi, I am hoping to clone the hard drive in my aging HP desktop to a SSD.
    My hard drive is a 2 TB GPT drive, but I have removed (and saved), all my data files, nearly 400 Gb, so my 2TB hard drive now contains about 100 GB.
    I have a 500 GB Kingston SSD and I want to clone the 100GB to this and have 400 GB free.
    I plan on using AOMEI Backupper, but my research has left me a little confused as to whether "Disk Clone", will do this, or will it partition the SSD to the 100 Gb size of the Hard drive content.
    Any advice welcome, perhaps there is better FREE than AOMEI Backupper.

Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I used Macrium Reflect, no problems. Plenty of tutorials online to guide you.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

It is the tutorials that confused me LOL.

Follow this tutorial.

JoyPad wrote: »

Do I have to do anything to the Target SSD please ?

No, you don't. Macrium will prepare the target SSD and no changes are done until you launch the cloning process.
    The trick part is to make sure that you copy all the partitions from the source disk, and resize the one with the files to match the target disk.

When I cloned my disk, I went from 500Gb to 1Tb, so I had to resize it up. In your case, you will need to resize down, which might be done automatically for you.

• Advertisement

JoyPad wrote: »
    No, you don't. Macrium will prepare the target SSD and no changes are done until you launch the cloning process.
    The trick part is to make sure that you copy all the partitions from the source disk, and resize the one with the files to match the target disk.

When I cloned my disk, I went from 500Gb to 1Tb, so I had to resize it up. In your case, you will need to resize down, which might be done automatically for you.

Thanks, will give it a go.

Advertisement