Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving mortgage having left country?

• 22-02-2021 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Is this possible? I have just come off a fixed rate with BOI and the mortgage is quite a bit more hefty on the variable rate etc.

I have left the country and intend to rent the house out to the council (final stage of it).

Is it possible to transfer the mortgage to someone else or even back to fixed with BOI? I'm not sure if me having gone abroad is something that will give them the right to end my mortgage or whatever so I'm wary.

My new salary is significantly higher (same industry) by several factors so hopefully that would mitigate any fears?

thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Living abroad will have no impact on your ability to fix the interest rate.

It would be difficult to switch banks as the new bank would need an Irish address for you (recent utility bills in your name).

You can't "transfer" a mortgage to another person. They would need to get their own loan and purchase the property from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

dotsman wrote: »
    Living abroad will have no impact on your ability to fix the interest rate.

It would be difficult to switch banks as the new bank would need an Irish address for you (recent utility bills in your name).

You can't "transfer" a mortgage to another person. They would need to get their own loan and purchase the property from you.

Hmm I still have utility bills coming through in my name as I've let family use the house for now so still electricity/gas. But I guess they will ask for salary and see it's foreign and then run a mile?

So looks like just going to fix the rate and see how that goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Back to fixed with boi is the best option if the rate is good, but 5 years min and if possible as long as you'll be renting to the council as it removes uncertainty.

Advertisement