Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euromillions €210 million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A 1976 Pontiac Trans-Am for me

1977-Pontiac-Trans%20Am-muscle-and-pony-cars--Car-101309938-65809fe899c7e7d23f3b4563f7fc02b6.jpg?w=735&h=551&r=pad&c=%23f5f5f5

keep the win quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

keep the win quiet
    "Some lad on donedeal was selling it cheap and I just couldn't pass it up."

Bulletproof.

startrek56 wrote: »
    just stick an initial on it be good enough, you dont have to sign exactly where the line is...also, if you were going to divide it up between a load of people, just get them to sign it even if they were not part of the syndicate, no way of revenue finding out and the lotto will advise you to do the same

also, if you won 210m, you would be advised by the national lottery to put the money in a foreign bank account if you want to stay anonymous

I get the tax thing. I wouldn’t add extra people that weren’t in the original syndicate though because they become co-owners.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'd buy land, lots of land, especially around Dublin and stop the creep of the suburbs out beyond the Pale. I'd work with charities like the Native Woodland Trust to "rewild" this land with native Irish woodland.

I would then continue to buy land, in large parcels, anywhere around the country and continue to plant native trees on it, less monoculture of grassland or concrete, more broadleaf forestry. If it upset some developers, farmers, politicians and lobby groups, then all the better!

Might upset people looking for a house unless we change building patterns within the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I would spend it all on more euro million tkts for the next draw to try to win €17 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Thats not the only way to be a syndicate. If you do a syndicate in work then keep records of who paid, who is in the syndicate etc. That would be acceptable as an agreement. ( Rules generally allow people who haven't paid that week, but who normally do, to avail of the syndicate if it wins i.e. if they are on holiday).

Signing the lottery ticket is more of a post win but pre redemption syndicate creation. I could agree with my wife verbally to share, and to force the issue by co-signing with her before redemption.

You can give your wife money tax free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Deub

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'd buy land, lots of land, especially around Dublin and stop the creep of the suburbs out beyond the Pale. I'd work with charities like the Native Woodland Trust to "rewild" this land with native Irish woodland.

I would then continue to buy land, in large parcels, anywhere around the country and continue to plant native trees on it, less monoculture of grassland or concrete, more broadleaf forestry. If it upset some developers, farmers, politicians and lobby groups, then all the better!

I didn’t know someone shared my passion! (See my post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

dennyire wrote: »

That's it. Step aside Mert, this ****ers having himself an accident.

I'd love an e30 M3 and a 635 Csi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Renault 5 wrote: »
    I WON

4 euros

Ok but how much did the ticket cost you? People never seem to factor that in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Might upset people looking for a house unless we change building patterns within the city.

Now you're getting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I'd still keep my job (I'm self employed) and maybe go on holidays. Otherwise, most of it would go to close family and charity. Not interested in the jet set lifestyle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

I'd still keep my job (I'm self employed) and maybe go on holidays. Otherwise, most of it would go to close family and charity. Not interested in the jet set lifestyle.

i will go on holidays for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I prefer my plan to become a Bond villain with a league of kooky henchmen.

Gib me money.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I prefer my plan to become a Bond villain with a league of kooky henchmen.

Gib me money.

A Bond villian with only €210m? That's Michael O'Leary territory, not Elon Musk.

A Bond villian with only €210m? That's Michael O'Leary territory, not Elon Musk.

Look, all I want is an island will a skull shaped cave lair, burly henchmen and exotic women. I'm not actually planning to blow stuff up.

I'll just have friends around for parties and will hire Sting to play old Police hits. Simple stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Imagine if you had lived your life happy out, won the €210 million and decided to go on your first ever foreign holiday. But the plane crashed on the way and that’s the end of ya.

Imagine if you had lived your life happy out, won the €210 million and decided to go on your first ever foreign holiday. But the plane crashed on the way and that’s the end of ya.

Reminds me of a 90s M.O.R hit by some Canadian lass...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Weird how the small prizes don't scale with the massive jackpots, you still get 4-6 euro lol

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    Look, all I want is an island will a skull shaped cave lair, burly henchmen and exotic women. I'm not actually planning to blow stuff up.

I'll just have friends around for parties and will hire Sting to play old Police hits. Simple stuff.

Make sure Sting is gagged before and after the perfomance. He'll go on and on about the environment, veganism and colonic irrigations if you give him the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Won feck all in the Euromillions, but won €12 tonight. But the total cost of the 2 tickets was €13 so only down a euro this week. Result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,704 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

revenue cant touch you if you turn up to the lotto HQ with 20 names on a ticket or whatever you want

Revenue can touch you, anytime, anywhere, anyhow - the onus is on you to prove a legitimate source of income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

If you turned up with a €3.50 quick pick with 20 names on the back of it they are going to think shenanigans

That or they all should feature in the stingy thread

I would fly to Istanbul and get veneers, a hair transplant and a Brazilian buttlift job.

You'd be mad getting a job! I'd never work again.

:p

Revenue can touch you, anytime, anywhere, anyhow - the onus is on you to prove a legitimate source of income.

You’ve provided no proof at all that co-signers of a lottery ticket are subject to tax.

• Advertisement

Alannis Morissette would call that ironic. And she’d be wrong. Again.

You’ve provided no proof at all that co-signers of a lottery ticket are subject to tax.

I've never suggested that all co-signers of a lottery ticket are subject to tax.

I have suggested that the tax exemption for lottery winners may not apply to those who aren't genuine co-owners of the ticket. If you can't show evidence of co-ownership, such as payment history, syndicate rules and agreements, it will be difficult for you to prove that you are a legitimate co-owner.

I've never suggested that all co-signers of a lottery ticket are subject to tax.

I have suggested that the tax exemption for lottery winners may not apply to those who aren't genuine co-owners of the ticket. If you can't show evidence of co-ownership, such as payment history, syndicate rules and agreements, it will be difficult for you to prove that you are a legitimate co-owner.

Well the first sentence contradicts the second one.

We’ll leave it there.

The case I posted earlier makes it quite clear. You can't retrospectively concoct a syndicate as a means to avoid tax for intended beneficiaries. That's a high court judgement.

As another poster suggested, you can turn up with a 3.50 winning ticket signed by 20 people including your cousin Farooq in Islamabad; you're going to raise eyebrows in Revenue, and the larger the winnings the more you'd be pushing your luck to try.

Well the first sentence contradicts the second one.

We’ll leave it there.

The court case also deals with the matter of ownership v having your name on the ticket. There is a distinction, so the poster is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

I would just keep the cash it in a briefcase, buy some flashy orange suits and hats and canes, hand out wads of cash to anyone I encounter, buy a flashy Lamborghini, go to a fancy party full of yuppies and accidentally kill their rare Icelandic snow owl, then leave the party because it sucks.

What a dumb thing to do! Be even dumber makin a movie out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

dennyire wrote: »

I also choose this guys wife...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The lottery is tax free. If you put family members names on the ticket you can give them money without paying tax on it. Revenue can Feck off then.

The lottery is tax free. If you put family members names on the ticket you can give them money without paying tax on it. Revenue can Feck off then.

The lottery is tax free for the ticket owner. Signing a ticket does not make you a ticket owner.

Revenue will be seeing you in Court so, if they want to push the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Am I correct if I say that if a person's signature is on the ticket then they are entitled to an equal sharing if the prize - which I believe was the result of the Walsh v Walsh court case.

During the case I believe it was admitted that the names/signatures were put on the ticket to avoid taxation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

10 Premium Seats in Croke Park. Not the ones in the boxes.
    I would hire a Personal Trainer.
    I would hire a company on the quiet to clean up the area I live in.
    I would get my Solicitor to buy the house that I want nearby. Offer the owner enough money that they would leave their dream home.
    Anonymously Open a free Circuit Training Gym for 12 to 17 year olds.
    Anonymously Open a state of the art gym for my club.
    Anonymously Open a huge MENS SHED and similar place for Woman. Too many lonely retired people.
    A villa in Spain.
    Then I might let it slip I won a million in the lotto and gave 100000 to each of my family leaving me with feck all.
    And as for the begging letters; I’d still write them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Has it been won yet?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Has it been won yet?

Nope, draw is tomorrow.

sgthighway wrote: »
    10 Premium Seats in Croke Park. Not the ones in the boxes.
    I would hire a Personal Trainer.
    I would hire a company on the quiet to clean up the area I live in.
    I would get my Solicitor to buy the house that I want nearby. Offer the owner enough money that they would leave their dream home.
    Anonymously Open a free Circuit Training Gym for 12 to 17 year olds.
    Anonymously Open a state of the art gym for my club.
    Anonymously Open a huge MENS SHED and similar place for Woman. Too many lonely retired people.
    A villa in Spain.
    Then I might let it slip I won a million in the lotto and gave 100000 to each of my family leaving me with feck all.
    And as for the begging letters; I’d still write them.

When you say clean up ... Do you mean like a team of hitmen or landscaping/gardening and litter picking up ?

For 200+million all of those above would probably take 10-15million ... What do you plan on doing with the rest ?

Assuming that you win it outright !

One of my plans would be to create an series of offshore businesses and hire family/friends to "work" for this new company - most if not all of them will never know who the company is or what they actually do, taxes etc will all be paid for legitimately and everyone will live comfortably for the remainder of the money....the end.

i was on about the lotto... if you wanted to split with family, get all of them to sign ticket, they cant touch you then

even if it was a 3.50 ticket, you could put 35names on it if you wanted say everyone gave you 10 cent each, there is nothing they can do

• Advertisement

i was on about the lotto... if you wanted to split with family, get all of them to sign ticket, they cant touch you then

I think the point being made was that if you get them to sign the ticket they are entitled to an equal share in the prize

When you say clean up ... Do you mean like a team of hitmen or landscaping/gardening and litter picking up ?

For 200+million all of those above would probably take 10-15million ... What do you plan on doing with the rest ?

One of my plans would be to create an series of offshore businesses and hire family/friends to "work" for this new company - most if not all of them will never know who the company is or what they actually do, taxes etc will all be paid for legitimately and everyone will live comfortably for the remainder of the money....the end.

The offshore company won’t work. You would need a company here to pay wages here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Stick me down for a job will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I'd establish a hedge fund and use the returns to start a private military company. I'd then use that company to conduct illegal seizures of multiple drug cartels' money and weapons, and once enough resources, weaponry, and manpower had been accumulated I'd usurp the government of Ireland and rule the country as a benevolent dictator.

I think the point being made was that if you get them to sign the ticket they are entitled to an equal share in the prize

ah sorry, yes that is true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

all the nice things for 500k??

it wouldnt add up... im telling ya, tell everyone you got a load of bitcoin in college years ago and you sold it now made a huge profit

What difference does it make if people think you're filthy rich from bitcoin Or winning the lotto? They're still going to know you're filthy rich. :confused:

"You're worth 200m from a lotto win. Can I have some?"

"Actually I'm worth 200m from bitcoin not the lotto."

"Ah, ok. Never mind so."

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

I’d like to think I’d live a simple life if I had the money. I’d probably become a full time student of languages, and move around countries as I learned the languages, maybe start in Girona, cycle in the mornings and study languages in the afternoons.

I’d like to use all the excess cash towards helping the transition to a more fair and sustainable society globally, but wouldn’t even know where to start with the funds!

Am I correct if I say that if a person's signature is on the ticket then they are entitled to an equal sharing if the prize - which I believe was the result of the Walsh v Walsh court case.

During the case I believe it was admitted that the names/signatures were put on the ticket to avoid taxation.

The judge ruled that it was the series of prior verbal agreements that constituted the syndicate and ownership of the ticket, not the name(s) on the ticket itself.

Curiously, the defendant made the claim the son's name was on the ticket because the Lotto advised her to, that if any beneficiaries (she had intented to give him the value of a house or convey a house to him, and not give him a share - or so she claimed), would be tax free. The Lotto denied ever saying this.

The judge agreed as this would be illegal for beneficiaries to avoid tax by merely putting a signature on the ticket if there was no syndicate, based both on case law and pubic policy as outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Probably buy a swanky apartment in Mayfair in London and then just have countless trysts with rich plummy wives from the Home Counties.

• Advertisement

even if it was a 3.50 ticket, you could put 35names on it if you wanted say everyone gave you 10 cent each, there is nothing they can do

They can touch you where it hurts. They can say "gerrup the yard" with your 10c story, assess each of the 34 others for gift tax, issue the assessments and go through their normal enforcement processes with extensive interest and penalties.

So you'll be paying expensive lawyers and accountants to explain your 10c story to an appeals commissioner and later a High Court judge, who will each say "gerrup the yard", in a slightly posher way.

Advertisement