Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uploading to one drive

Options
  • 22-02-2021 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Am not good at computers but I have a query for anyone who can help.

I have a folder with many files on my desktop.
    I upload it to One Drive. so far so good.

If I make a changes to a file in that folder or many files when I upload that same folder again to One Drive I get a message which says basically that I already have a folder of that name in one drive and my uploading failed.

So what exactly is the problem? When I save a folder from my memory stick to documents on the laptop it says do I want to replace existing folder and I click yes. But in One Drive that option is not given to you.

Anybody advise? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Am not good at computers but I have a query for anyone who can help.

I have a folder with many files on my desktop.
    I upload it to One Drive. so far so good.

If I make a changes to a file in that folder or many files when I upload that same folder again to One Drive I get a message which says basically that I already have a folder of that name in one drive and my uploading failed.

So what exactly is the problem? When I save a folder from my memory stick to documents on the laptop it says do I want to replace existing folder and I click yes. But in One Drive that option is not given to you.

Anybody advise? Thank you.
    As per error message, you cannot have folder with same name
    What way are you uploading to OD?
    Have you set it right? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sync-onedrive-files-and-folders-3b8246e0-cc3c-4ae7-b4e1-4b4b37d27f68

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aine kilbride

As per error message, you cannot have folder with same name
    What way are you uploading to OD?
    Have you set it right? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sync-onedrive-files-and-folders-3b8246e0-cc3c-4ae7-b4e1-4b4b37d27f68

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I am trying to do exactly what I do when uploading files to documents from USB stick.

I copy a folder eg SUSAN from my USB stick to documents. Folder SUSAN is already in my documents but have made many changes to this folder on my USB and therefore I get a message something like:
    A folder called SUSAN already exists in Documents do you wish to replace it? I go yes and everything is sorted.

Now One Drive does not allow me to do that.

When I want to replace an existing folder with an updated folder of the dame name (as in above example) I get a message which says: A file or folder with the name SUSAN already exists . And I am not allowed to go further. I can not replace this folder.

When I want to replace an existing folder with an updated folder of the dame name (as in above example) I get a message which says: A file or folder with the name SUSAN already exists . And I am not allowed to go further. I can not replace this folder.
    But where are you doing this - in the browser or in the File Explorer?
    If browser - yes that is how it fail, by design

544594.PNG

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just update the files in the folder, the rest is automatic, if you have one drive installed.

But where are you doing this - in the browser or in the File Explorer?
    If browser - yes that is how it fail, by design

544594.PNG

I am so poor at computes I really don't know. I think I am going through the File Explorer. And that is exactly the message I am getting.

Is there a solution to this?

I have googled and Youtubed syncing but nothing seems to work for me.

• Advertisement

Upload the files, not the folder.

You'll find it easier to use if you install OneDrive to your computer.

Is it a Windows computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I am so poor at computes I really don't know. I think I am going through the File Explorer. And that is exactly the message I am getting.

Is there a solution to this?

I have googled and Youtubed syncing but nothing seems to work for me.

There's two different ways to approach this.
    Instead of moving a new folder with the same name into One Drive, can you not just update the folder that's already in One Drive.
    So for example, the folder that's already in One Drive, called Susan, just edit that content.

Alternatively, delete or rename the folder in One Drive.
    So if it's called Susan, add the number 1 to the end so it becomes Susan1.
    Also, y ou could rename the new folderyou're ttring to move into One Drive that could be renamed to Susan2.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Upload the files, not the folder.

You'll find it easier to use if you install OneDrive to your computer.

Is it a Windows computer?

I have One Drive installed. And this is exactly what I have done. Correct me where I have gone wrong please.

I have uploaded to One Drive a folder with files in it from USB stick.

I now go to USB stick and edit some files from this folder. My understanding is that even as I make changes to files on my UISB stick these changes are automatically changing on One Drive? But when I go to see if these changes are made they are not. Do I have to upload every file from USB stick to save changes in One Drive?

I have One Drive installed. And this is exactly what I have done. Correct me where I have gone wrong please.

I have uploaded to One Drive a folder with files in it from USB stick.

I now go to USB stick and edit some files from this folder. My understanding is that even as I make changes to files on my UISB stick these changes are automatically changing on One Drive? But when I go to see if these changes are made they are not. Do I have to upload every file from USB stick to save changes in One Drive?

You should have a folder on your computer called OneDrive. The contents of this folder are automatically synced to OneDrive online.

Any files or folders you want backed up, simply put them into the OneDrive folder. Any changes made to them will be automatically backed up. You do not have to manually upload anything.

Hope that helps!

This screenshot is from web interface, not File Explorer

• Advertisement

This screenshot is from web interface, not File Explorer

Yeah, no need to use the website if you have the OneDrive app installed. Let the app do the work.

You should have a folder on your computer called OneDrive. The contents of this folder are automatically synced to OneDrive online.

Any files or folders you want backed up, simply put them into the OneDrive folder. Any changes made to them will be automatically backed up. You do not have to manually upload anything.

Hope that helps!

I see. I am beginning to see the light.

Just to be clear.

If I put a file/folder in that One Drive folder and edit it it will be changed and saved in One Drive?

And Vice Versa? I may have been running out of patience but if I edit a file in the One Drive application it will also make those changes in the One Drive Folder on desktop. And this is not automatic -as in a matter of seconds? It might take a minute or more?

Am beginning to see the way here!

I see. I am beginning to see the light.

Just to be clear.

If I put a file/folder in that One Drive folder and edit it it will be changed and saved in One Drive?

And Vice Versa? I may have been running out of patience but if I edit a file in the One Drive application it will also make those changes in the One Drive Folder on desktop. And this is not automatic -as in a matter of seconds? It might take a minute or more?

Am beginning to see the way here!

Yes, exactly.

Once you edit the file locally, you will see a notification of the file being uploaded.

If you are on a different computer, where OneDrive is not installed, eg at work etc, you can then use the OneDrive website to access your files. And you can upload to it too, and those changes will be automatically synced to your computer.

So, basically forget about the website when you are on your computer and let the app do the work.

Yes, exactly.

Once you edit the file locally, you will see a notification of the file being uploaded.

If you are on a different computer, where OneDrive is not installed, eg at work etc, you can then use the OneDrive website to access your files. And you can upload to it too, and those changes will be automatically synced to your computer.

So, basically forget about the website when you are on your computer and let the app do the work.

Thank you very much for all that and other posters as well!

Up Cark By!!!

And this is not automatic -as in a matter of seconds? It might take a minute or more?

It depends on the size of the files and your data connection. You will see the upload status.

It is usually instant. You do not have to do anything to initiate the sync process. It is automatically started once a file has been changed.

In addition to the OneDrive folder on your computer, you can also include other folders as well (go to OneDrive settings).

You might want to include your Documents folder. Or images.

You then don't need to copy your documents and image files into the OneDrive folder. They will be automatically synced.

You don't even have to use the OneDrive folder at all. Just choose which folders you want synced.

Just be careful with file sizes. You don't want to sync a lot of media files, for example, if you are limited on space in your OneDrive account. That depends on your plan. I think the free account allows up to 7GB? I'm not too sure.

Advertisement