Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning solanum glasnevin

Options
  • 22-02-2021 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Folks, just wondering if anyone has any experience pruning this ? We are growing it against a garden wall. It's at about 8 ft now after just two years and we'd like to keep it there but I'm not sure if that's possible or how it takes to hard pruning? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I have the white cultivar but it's invincible. You can prune it or cut it back however you like, it's always coming back with a vengeance. The best plant to cover unsightly views.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The white one - alba - is more sensitive to cold, its my favourite though. Glasnevin is unkillable. We took an enormous one in full flower and leaf, cut it down to base, just left a bit of new growth to encourage it, ruthlessly dug up the huge root from a rather pampered raised bed in a sheltered garden and moved it to an entirely different garden, stuck it rather unceremoniously into a hole facing the sea on a scrubby hillside, and it has been thriving since.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mattcullen

Thanks folks. Are you able to keep them to a managable height? Invincibility I like , but I'd like to be able to keep it to a reasonable size ( under 10 ft)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

mattcullen wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Are you able to keep them to a managable height? Invincibility I like , but I'd like to be able to keep it to a reasonable size ( under 10 ft)

It needs support so it's not going to grow much taller than the wall, but it might flop over and cascade down the other side. Just cut it at the height you want to keep it at. You can't really damage it enough to hurt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mattcullen

Perfect, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement