Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a good laptop radiation shield

Options
  • 22-02-2021 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good laptop radiation shield?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good laptop radiation shield?

What now. Radiation from where?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

mordeith wrote: »
    What now. Radiation from where?

The laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Is this radiation scientifically proven to be evidently harmful or is this the new anti vaxxer movement? I've a feeling you'd be better off wearing suncream everyday to protect yourself from the sun. As long as you've the laptop on a desk not your lap then you're fine I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Is this like the radiation from the new smart electricity meters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Stop reading nonsense posts on social media and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Is this like a tinfoil hat for your laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Tinfoil underpants. It's the only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Shouldn't this be in Conspiracy Theories?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Is this radiation scientifically proven to be evidently harmful or is this the new anti vaxxer movement? I've a feeling you'd be better off wearing suncream everyday to protect yourself from the sun. As long as you've the laptop on a desk not your lap then you're fine I'd say

I always have it on my lap, that is why I want a radiation shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Is it possible the damage is already done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I always have it on my lap, that is why I want a radiation shield.

What type of radiation are you trying to shield exactly? All electromagnetic? Can you specify a frequency range so I can better advise the type of shielding?

If it's IR for instance, then a pair of long trousers will do fine. If it's gamma radiation I can recommend a 300mm thick layer of lead. Bad news is you will need to wear it from head to toe if you have the source on your lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

rostalof wrote: »
      Is it possible the damage is already done?

Sounds like it :D

Wake me up when it's all over.

I was told by a doctor friend that I should use one if I have the laptop on my lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I was told by a doctor friend that I should use one if I have the laptop on my lap.

Unless you have a medical issue.. Your doctor friend is taking the pi££

Unless you have a medical issue.. Your doctor friend is taking the pi££

Time will tell. They were dead serious btw. anyway I will keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

You're much more likely to do damage to your back and neck using a laptop on your lap from bad posture - if I was you I'd stop putting the laptop on your lap and find a proper way to sit and then you'd solve both issues - both the real and the imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

OP, you need to go outside! ;)

Op here you go... If you insist on this level of paranoia. Legit product on Amazon designed for radiotherapy patients but should for your needs also

https://www.amazon.com/OURSURE-Underwear-Anti-Radiation-Protection-8900614L/dp/B007A6YWKG

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

NIMAN wrote: »
      Stop reading nonsense posts on social media and you'll be grand.

Actually everything that runs on electricity puts out radiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Actually everything that runs on electricity puts out radiation.

yeah but isn't that because Heat is considered can move by radiation? so everything that gives off heat is giving off radiation? Including our own bodies

manonboard wrote: »
      yeah but isn't that because Heat is considered can move by radiation? so everything that gives off heat is giving off radiation? Including our own bodies

Heat moves by convection and conduction also. Both are more likely from a laptop on your lap than radiation.

manonboard wrote: »

EM radiation !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Laptops can give off a fair bit of heat, and excessive heat isn't great for sperm production, that may be what the doctor is talking about, heat is radiation.
      That being the case there are plenty of laptop rests for you lap, some even have built in fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

EM radiation !

EMF radiation. It's emitted by every electronic device. The safest way to use a laptop is not on your lap, although I'd hazard a guess that the heat it emits might cause more damage than EMF radiation. There are pads available to "block" EMF from laptops but it's disputed how effective they actually are or if they're effective at all. EMF is emitted from microwaves, radios, TVs, mobile phones, WIFI, human bodies and the sun. Basically your home and the whole world is full of it in some shape or form.

EMF radiation. It's emitted by every electronic device. The safest way to use a laptop is not on your lap, although I'd hazard a guess that the heat it emits might cause more damage than EMF radiation. There are pads available to "block" EMF from laptops but it's disputed how effective they actually are or if they're effective at all. EMF is emitted from microwaves, radios, TVs, mobile phones, WIFI, human bodies and the sun. Basically your home and the whole world is full of it in some shape or form.

The OP is worried about becoming the incredible hulk but you mention EMF....Wooohhhh... That's unbelievable

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

If your laptop wasn't putting out EM radiation, it'd be kind of hard to see what's on the screen.

Earlier post:
      Actually everything that runs on electricity puts out radiation.[/quote

• Advertisement

The OP is worried about becoming the incredible hulk but you mention EMF....Wooohhhh... That's unbelievable

:D:D

Your going off half cocked.
      Actually everything that runs on electricity puts out radiation.[/quote

Advertisement