Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir mobile broadband 750GB €29.99

Options
  • 22-02-2021 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Has anyone bought this? Free modem and 750GB a month allowance for €29.99? you get the Huawei E5576 modem free.

https://www.eir.ie/mobile/broadband/

I have landline but only get speeds of 6mb download. Have ordered this as a trial. Interested to see any other comments Sorry if this has been asked before, I went back the last 10 pages and couldn’t find it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

My comment is mobile broadband is great until it's not.
    As they pick up more customers (subscribers) you can end up with congestion in the evenings. It can be affected by weather, buildings, trees. It can pick up a weak signal from one tower and require a restart to connect to the correct tower. So take the try-before-you-buy period with a pinch of salt.
    Some people never have problems. No harm trying it out. At least fixed line is an option where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Has anyone bought this? Free modem and 750GB a month allowance for €29.99? you get the Huawei E5576 modem free.

https://www.eir.ie/mobile/broadband/

I have landline but only get speeds of 6mb download. Have ordered this as a trial. Interested to see any other comments Sorry if this has been asked before, I went back the last 10 pages and couldn’t find it

I have this for the last 8 months or so. It has been great vs the crap DSL broadband (2mb) and 3 mobile broadband we had previously. The speed has been a pretty consistent 30 to 40 mbit here in a quite rural location.

It totally is dependant on your location, but eir's 4g network seems to be quite good. You could try a Gomo or eir pay as you go SIM to test it out at your place first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Shpongler wrote: »
    I have this for the last 8 months or so. It has been great vs the crap DSL broadband (2mb) and 3 mobile broadband we had previously. The speed has been a pretty consistent 30 to 40 mbit here in a quite rural location.

It totally is dependant on your location, but eir's 4g network seems to be quite good. You could try a Gomo or eir pay as you go SIM to test it out at your place first.

That’s great to hear. I live across the road from one of their masts. I get around 170mb download

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I ordered it just under two weeks ago to trial out although I paid €49 for the Huawei B628 modem. Eir provides the strongest signal where I live but unfortunately it didn’t live up to my expectations however as the mast is only across the road from you I think you’ll be just fine!

I’m getting speeds of about 6-10 Mbps in good weather with uploads to match. In the stormy weather tonight however it’s coming and going, getting maybe 1-1.5 Mbps, ping and jitter are awful when the weather is bad too. Still it’s overall better than my landline speed of 3 Mbps, especially in more normal weather so I’ll probably keep it for the year. Just be warned that after the yearly contract is up the price goes up to €52.99 a month, I imagine it will be great fun trying to leave eir then :D

I ordered it just under two weeks ago to trial out although I paid €49 for the Huawei B628 modem. Eir provides the strongest signal where I live but unfortunately it didn’t live up to my expectations however as the mast is only across the road from you I think you’ll be just fine!

I’m getting speeds of about 6-10 Mbps in good weather with uploads to match. In the stormy weather tonight however it’s coming and going, getting maybe 1-1.5 Mbps, ping and jitter are awful when the weather is bad too. Still it’s overall better than my landline speed of 3 Mbps, especially in more normal weather so I’ll probably keep it for the year. Just be warned that after the yearly contract is up the price goes up to €52.99 a month, I imagine it will be great fun trying to leave eir then :D

Have you tried the Huactrl app from the android playstore? If you try to lock the router/modem to Band 3 or Band 1, and possibly Band 28 you should get a better throughput. Sometimes the modem will lock to Band 20, which gives the worst performance.

• Advertisement

That’s great to hear. I live across the road from one of their masts. I get around 170mb download

Looks like you are in a perfect location for it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Have you tried the Huactrl app from the android playstore? If you try to lock the router/modem to Band 3 or Band 1, and possibly Band 28 you should get a better throughput. Sometimes the modem will lock to Band 20, which gives the worst performance.

Thanks for letting me know about the app. I changed around the bands a bit as I was getting nothing at all from band 1 or 3 but as soon as I locked it to 28 my games have been downloading at a much steadier rate and has only dropped below 6Mbps a couple of times. Getting up to 9Mbps even with the storm raging outside and hasn’t dropped signal at all yet so thanks again, I can live with that speed until the NBI rolls around coming from sharing the 3Mbps landline with two other people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I have this since June and in fairness it proves to be a lot more stable than Imagine - I got this initially as a backup for Imagine.
    Speeds have recently gone up from max 40Mb download to over 80. I have had minor outages and minor periods of lag in gaming- not like Imagine where it is not usable for gaming after 7 PM.

My contract runs out in June - Will they start charging me the €52.99 then per month ? So they want you to cancel and set up new subscription ? Will this work ?

I am also thinking to ditch Imagine (after a good run in fairness - I think I have had it well over 5 years now) and take out second subscription with Eir- as 750GB, may not be sufficient. It will save me 30 euros p/m anyway. Just a bit nervous about having no redundancy if Eir service has major issue. Three and Vodafone have poor coverage here.

Anyone know where I can find my historical usage for Eir ? It states I can find it on my Eir.. but I can only find current month usage.

I have this since June and in fairness it proves to be a lot more stable than Imagine - I got this initially as a backup for Imagine.
    Speeds have recently gone up from max 40Mb download to over 80. I have had minor outages and minor periods of lag in gaming- not like Imagine where it is not usable for gaming after 7 PM.

My contract runs out in June - Will they start charging me the €52.99 then per month ? So they want you to cancel and set up new subscription ? Will this work ?

I am also thinking to ditch Imagine (after a good run in fairness - I think I have had it well over 5 years now) and take out second subscription with Eir- as 750GB, may not be sufficient. It will save me 30 euros p/m anyway. Just a bit nervous about having no redundancy if Eir service has major issue. Three and Vodafone have poor coverage here.

Anyone know where I can find my historical usage for Eir ? It states I can find it on my Eir.. but I can only find current month usage.

You can find it on My Eir on their website. It doesn’t show on the app. I’d ring the loyalty team in may and see what they would do for you price wise

I have this about 10 days now. I am very very impressed with it so far. We have about 8 devices running off it and getting great speeds.

It is not on my Eir or I am blind - it is not even on the bills. Can only see current period

Anyway- just saw that I got a sms last week stating I was at 80% of my usage.. knowing that I also had 300GB on Imagine for that period, means 750GB is not enough. So if I ditch Imagine I will get another subscription here and will have 2 modems next to each other.
    Indeed will call them in May then and see if they really want to charge 53 quid for the first subscription.

I got the router for free in June.. Now it will cost me 49- that is a pity

• Advertisement

It is not on my Eir or I am blind - it is not even on the bills. Can only see current period

Anyway- just saw that I got a sms last week stating I was at 80% of my usage.. knowing that I also had 300GB on Imagine for that period, means 750GB is not enough. So if I ditch Imagine I will get another subscription here and will have 2 modems next to each other.
    Indeed will call them in May then and see if they really want to charge 53 quid for the first subscription.

I got the router for free in June.. Now it will cost me 49- that is a pity

Good luck trying to call them. They send me that sim router as a trial. I had to ring them today to say I was taking the offer. Took over the hour for the whole call. That’s the only downside so far.

I’m sure they will do something. For me they threw on the landline for free. I don’t use it but good to have it there as an option.

Good luck trying to call them. They send me that sim router as a trial. I had to ring them today to say I was taking the offer. Took over the hour for the whole call. That’s the only downside so far.

I’m sure they will do something. For me they threw on the landline for free. I don’t use it but good to have it there as an option.

Sorry- what do you mean " they threw in the landline for free " ? Is that an actual landline or the ability to plug in a phone into the modem ?

I thought the process of getting the mobile broadband was very simple- order online and they send you the router and sim card - that is what they did last year.. I never called them.

You actually had to call them ?

Sorry- what do you mean " they threw in the landline for free " ? Is that an actual landline or the ability to plug in a phone into the modem ?

I thought the process of getting the mobile broadband was very simple- order online and they send you the router and sim card - that is what they did last year.. I never called them.

You actually had to call them ?

I did have to call. I had a landline and fixed line broadband from that. I had to ring today to cancel that broadband and just go with the mobile broadband. He offered to leave the landline there for 12 Months at no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Hackers

Have this 11 months now and couldn’t fault it until this week. Speeds 10+ MBs most of the time. With other providers prior but had to change twice due to throttling in the evenings to 1-2MBs.

Last 3 evenings has speeds dropping to 2MB and only max 5MB during the day. I doubt it’s contention as im in rural East Galway and there hasn’t been an influx of new residents!

I hope it’s a temporary blip!

Hackers wrote: »
    Have this 11 months now and couldn’t fault it until this week. Speeds 10+ MBs most of the time. With other providers prior but had to change twice due to throttling in the evenings to 1-2MBs.

Last 3 evenings has speeds dropping to 2MB and only max 5MB during the day. I doubt it’s contention as im in rural East Galway and there hasn’t been an influx of new residents!

I hope it’s a temporary blip!

They could be working on the mast. That happened us before Christmas. But that was for eir mobile

I did have to call. I had a landline and fixed line broadband from that. I had to ring today to cancel that broadband and just go with the mobile broadband. He offered to leave the landline there for 12 Months at no extra cost.
    That is quite impressive..maybe because of all the bad press they are getting..

They could be working on the mast. That happened us before Christmas. But that was for eir mobile

I hope so. Speed this morning is just 2MB, scandalous if that continues.

Meanwhile getting 10MB with a 48.ie SIM in an old B593 router. No brainer move if things don’t improve. 7.99 a month versus the 52.99 a month that EIR increases to once my 12 months are up next month.

EDIT: 100GB limit with 48 that I forgot about so it’ll be Three SIM in the router for 20 a month

Hackers wrote: »
    I hope so. Speed this morning is just 2MB, scandalous if that continues.

Meanwhile getting 10MB with a 48.ie SIM in an old B593 router. No brainer move if things don’t improve. 7.99 a month versus the 52.99 a month that EIR increases to once my 12 months are up next month.

EDIT: 100GB limit with 48 that I forgot about so it’ll be Three SIM in the router for 20 a month

Last week I had a couple of days with serious high pings and timeouts. It was rectified after a couple of days . 99% of the time it has been great, can't really complain.

I have contacted them on Twitter about the increase to 52.99 after the 12 months contract but have yet to get a reply. As far as I can see they are no longer advertising the price increase with their current 29.99 offer on their website, so I assume it's either cancel and sign up again or ask them to continue with the 29.99.

Last week I had a couple of days with serious high pings and timeouts. It was rectified after a couple of day. 99% of the time it has been great, can't really complain.

I have contacted them on Twitter about the increase to 52.99 after the 12 months contract but have yet to get a reply. As far as I can see they are no longer advertising the price increase with their current 29.99 offer on their website, so I assume it's either cancel and sign up again or ask them to continue with the 29.99.

Thanks a lot for the response, will post in a couple of days again with an update. Hopeful my situation will follow yours by then!

Would appreciate if you could provide an update on the 52.99 if you hear anything back. Cancel and sign up again would be the way to go but will not be easy to contact anyone in Eir to process the cancellation apparently.

I signed up for my second subscription yesterday.. indeed there is no mention of the 52.99 on the website, but it is still in the welcome email. It says reg price of 52.99 , no upfront payment, despite me paying 49 for the modem.

I will contact them myself to figure out what they are playing at. Also infuriating that they state further contract information can be found at.. and then they link to a page with T&Cs of all promotions and plans they ever had it seems..expecting me to figure out what applies to me. It is more or less saying..your contract information can be found in the Internet

• Advertisement

I signed up for my second subscription yesterday.. indeed there is no mention of the 52.99 on the website, but it is still in the welcome email. It says reg price of 52.99 , no upfront payment, despite me paying 49 for the modem.

I will contact them myself to figure out what they are playing at. Also infuriating that they state further contract information can be found at.. and then they link to a page with T&Cs of all promotions and plans they ever had it seems..expecting me to figure out what applies to me. It is more or less saying..your contract information can be found in the Internet

Good luck trying to get someone. Was 34 minutes on hold the other day and then the call dropped. Rang back. By the tome they answered to the end of the call , 1hr7mins. Disgraceful really. It’s a pity the chat feature on the website never seems to be working.

It’s a pity the chat feature on the website never seems to be working.

No it's not. The chat feature was absolutely useless. They usually ended up asking you to call customer service

antix80 wrote: »
    No it's not. The chat feature was absolutely useless. They usually ended up asking you to call customer service

I found it good anytime I needed to use it

I found it good anytime I needed to use it

I got the impression they could give info but not make changes

I got a reply from @eircare re: the 52.99 increase after the 12 month contract is up. Not very helpful.

546245.JPG

I got a reply from @eircare re: the 52.99 increase after the 12 month contract is up. Not very helpful.

546245.JPG
    Not helpful at all. I contacted the loyalty team about a month before my contract is up so you’ll still have time to decide

You may want to bookmark link or download this document

From it :
    546364.png

Good I looked for it - as I wasn't aware of the out of bundle charges.
    I will put this file to the test, when my first subscription gets to 12 months.

From it :
    546364.png

Oh wow. Thanks for this. Be interesting to see how you get on

From it :
    546364.png

Interesting, I haven't come across that before.
    Those out of bundle charges though :eek:, At the moment there are none if you go over the 750Gb. They just throttle to 5Mb/s.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I haven't come across that before.
    Those out of bundle charges though :eek:, At the moment there are none if you go over the 750Gb. They just throttle to 5Mb/s.

They are high. But on the other hand not many people would go over the 750GB in a month

Advertisement