Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Solicitors Jailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Are they still "qualified solicitors", just barred from "practising as solicitors"?
    Apologies if you were misled, although its hardly being confused with another contemporary thread about actual solicitors getting prison.

Good article on Examiner. Unlucky to be caught it seems, but I wonder how much they really trousered

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40231541.html

Great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd say there is quite a lot of false ID or stolen ID used in Ireland. You only have to see the fuss over the PSC cards which tried to pin down ID here. The least the state should have is total confidence in who they are dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Maybe they are smiling coming out because they were only caught for €400k and making 80 false/stolen identities. Who knows what didn't get found out. For all we know they could have had hundreds of PPS numbers and raked in multiples of the €400k and it is sitting in an account under some unknown name, or physically in a garage somewhere or buried in a plastic barrel for them to collect when they get out.

We only know what we know. God only knows what is going on that we don't know anything about.

Maybe they are smiling coming out because they were only caught for €400k and making 80 false/stolen identities. Who knows what didn't get found out. For all we know they could have had hundreds of PPS numbers and raked in multiples of the €400k and it is sitting in an account under some unknown name, or physically in a garage somewhere or buried in a plastic barrel for them to collect when they get out.

We only know what we know. God only knows what is going on that we don't know anything about.

I wonder did they plead guilty to a few "specimen" charges, hope to keep a lot more stashed away.

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    Like the garlic importer?

*Garlic baron, to us mortals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

silver2020 wrote: »
    Imagine if you checked the background of every convicted criminal for possible political "dalliances"

It would have SF/IRA leading all the other parties put together by multiples of multiples.

Ammm no actually,if she was ex SF RTE would be airing it every news,Leo or the dithering MM would positively wet themselves with anticipation of years of anti SF bias

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Voguementol

phildub wrote: »
    It might be worth a trip to the Supreme Court, only in these current times she will most likely be released before her case is heard. She got 2 years so 1.5 years with remission and they will probably let her out before that with good behavior, if she appeals she won't be entitled to early elease so it will be interesting to see if she decides to appeal

Why do you think that about an appeal? I don't think an appeal will affect whether or not they are eligible for early release. They will get 25% remission regardless of whether they appeal, if they are of good behaviour.

I do think there are mental health issues there. The over the top smiling seems like she thinks this is some sort of fantasy world..

I do think there are mental health issues there. The over the top smiling seems like she thinks this is some sort of fantasy world..

Not really. There's that stash nicely lodged somewhere for them. Just thinking about that lovely parachute when release day comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They did use homeless people to get their PPS numbers. While immoral and bad form, the fact is they didn't do them any harm either. They weren't any worse off after their interactions with these two. So while it was not a good deed, they didn't do anything harmful either.

Victimless crimes - yes. Who are the victims? The banks? The same banks of the golden circle who rode the hole off of this country. Fúck em. Those faceless corporations are the bigger scumbags. I am actually just a bit disappointed that the money was located and given back. I wish they had got the money in cash and hidden it somewhere before the were caught and then claimed they gambled it or something.

The only institution I would have any sympathy for is the credit unions. I don't approve of that. But the banks - fúck the banks. €400k isn't pissing money for them. Bravo.

Can we have your PPS no?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭phildub

Why do you think that about an appeal? I don't think an appeal will affect whether or not they are eligible for early release. They will get 25% remission regardless of whether they appeal, if they are of good behaviour.

25% remission is automatic, you can get out earlier than that on good behaviour but they don't release you if these is an ongoing appeal, I am not sure why exactly,probably to stop people appealing low sentences. Your talking 16months for an appeal to be heard at the moment and she's only facing 18months so its not really worth it considering the state could appeal the leniency and she could end up with more time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Piligrim333

We were the clients of Ms. Clarke when bought the house back in 2016. She was all nice at the beginning, the problems started at the stage when the sale papers were signed... We found their Cork office to be closed, it took ages to reach her over the phone in Dublin office each time we tried to contact. Finally we managed to complete the sale a week later than agreed. Few months later we got a letter from the lending bank informing us that our solicitor has been suspended, mortgage hasn't been registered and they never got the deeds on the property. Imagine the emotion we went through...
    We had to employ another solicitor to deal with the case via Law Society which held the papers from their office.
    It appeared that substantial amount of clients' money went missing from Flynn/Clark's solicitors client account including €5000+ we paid for our sale.
    So we had to apply for Law Society insurance grant to compensate for our losses because of solicitor's fraud/mismanagement of client's funds. I believe there were few dozens of clients in the same position as ourselves.
    After been struck off as solicitors by High Court, the couple apparently didn't stop and invented another fraudulent scheme...
    This could be only a tip of an iceberg as some have suggested.

Very educational thread... Just read page one... "Jeremiads" - a great word that :D A welcome addition to anybody's lexicon - it's up there with other greats like "Badinage" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1363840808475049985?s=19

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40071779.html

Anyone got any more background info on these two?
    Keith Flynn and Lindsey Clarke- ex solicitors
    Bringing the trade into disrepute, certainly didn't distinguish themselves.

From the Twitter is seems she'd a dalliance with Fine Gael.

A lot more detail here

https://watchers.ie/2021/02/23/if-not-jailed-a-few-days-ago-miss-lyndsey-clarke-could-be-a-fg-minister-today-look-at-the-sparkle-in-the-mayo-goats-eye-yes-enda-kenny/

It wasn't victimless. Your one thought she was on a catwalk from the footage I saw of them walking into the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Are they still "qualified solicitors", just barred from "practising as solicitors"?
    Apologies if you were misled, although its hardly being confused with another contemporary thread about actual solicitors getting prison.

Good article on Examiner. Unlucky to be caught it seems, but I wonder how much they really trousered

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40231541.html

Am I wrong to think that it was a spelling mistake repeated in a number of accounts which lead to BOI starting an investigation into them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

timple23 wrote: »
    Am I wrong to think that it was a spelling mistake repeated in a number of accounts which lead to BOI starting an investigation into them?

It was one of the clues

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

STB. wrote: »
    Your one thought she was on a catwalk from the footage I saw of them walking into the courts.

probably loves the attention, a narcissist maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do they have to pay back all they got or just jail terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

We were the clients of Ms. Clarke when bought the house back in 2016. She was all nice at the beginning, the problems started at the stage when the sale papers were signed... We found their Cork office to be closed, it took ages to reach her over the phone in Dublin office each time we tried to contact. Finally we managed to complete the sale a week later than agreed. Few months later we got a letter from the lending bank informing us that our solicitor has been suspended, mortgage hasn't been registered and they never got the deeds on the property. Imagine the emotion we went through...
    We had to employ another solicitor to deal with the case via Law Society which held the papers from their office.
    It appeared that substantial amount of clients' money went missing from Flynn/Clark's solicitors client account including €5000+ we paid for our sale.
    So we had to apply for Law Society insurance grant to compensate for our losses because of solicitor's fraud/mismanagement of client's funds. I believe there were few dozens of clients in the same position as ourselves.
    After been struck off as solicitors by High Court, the couple apparently didn't stop and invented another fraudulent scheme...
    This could be only a tip of an iceberg as some have suggested.

But as no violence was used in your case a certain poster would consider she did no wrong especially as the law society sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do they have to pay back all they got or just jail terms?

I'd imagine that now that they're convicted the Gardai will move on any property they have acquired dated from the earliest fraud. That happens more often than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'd imagine that now that they're convicted the Gardai will move on any property they have acquired dated from the earliest fraud. That happens more often than you think.

Hopefully , and the shame in a small place like Cork is also another sentence for the crooks to deal with ,they hurt their respective families big-time also with the need for money
    No winners

• Advertisement

We were the clients of Ms. Clarke when bought the house back in 2016. She was all nice at the beginning,

did her demeanour change when you chased her up on the delay? did she get defensive?

any dealings with himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

They looked properly chuffed with themselves on the news the other day.

They looked properly chuffed with themselves on the news the other day.

that footage was from the preliminary hearings back in october,

i would have liked to have seen their faces walking in and esp out on monday...not so cocky then i reckon:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    Like the garlic importer?

I slept soundly that night knowing I was safe from such tyranny. I'd rather let ten killers walk free than let one man label garlic as apples.

:pac:

There was a mention of the guilty plea saving on the investigation. It was probably the wrong choice of words as AGS still would have had to investigate everything; it just saved the prosecution having to present it to a jury.

i say they pleaded guilty cause they have more money stashed away that they don't want revealed

fryup wrote:
    did her demeanour change when you chased her up on the delay? did she get defensive?

Well, she stopped any contacts, gave an odd phone call with usual excuses. I communicated mainly with the secretary leaving messages. Seller's solicitor chased her with closing more than we did to be honest. When we got the keys I kept ringing the office but the calls went unanswered, I got couple of emails ensuring us registration process was going as planned. Until I got a letter from the bank couple of months later....

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I wonder what happened your young lad. Is he in care or with a relative? She has no siblings and her folks are dead.
    I feel sorry for him.

But as no violence was used in your case a certain poster would consider she did no wrong especially as the law society sorted it out.

I didn't talk about violence, our case was related to misusing of client's funds and not fullfilling the undertaking signed for.
    As for "she did no wrong" I would strongly disagree. We had suffered financial loss as Law society compensation fund only covered for about 75% of what we paid to the solicitor plus amounts we transferred to cover Stamp duty/various registrations.
    But the main thing was the stress that we went through dealing with matters which were created by negligent/fraudulent solicitor.
    We were within our right to sue them but decided not to bother as they were declared bankrupt at that stage and we were too stressed trying to sort our case with bank/revenue (unpaid stamp duty, late registrations etc).
    I understand that our case is not relevant directly to the one discussed, but it shows that even acting as solicitor the couple were involved in fraudulent activity (which I believe misusing - basically stealing of client's money is).
    After loosing their licence and leaving several clients trying to sort their cases, they invented a new venture which ended yesterday in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

FGR wrote: »
    I slept soundly that night knowing I was safe from such tyranny. I'd rather let ten killers walk free than let one man label garlic as apples.

All jokes aside, that man defrauded the state to the tune of €1.6 million.
    If I stole €1.6 million, I'd expect to do time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Iguarantee

To discuss every lurid detail of the case; to subject them to the scrutiny and criticism of Cork Boardsies; to satiate my curiosity and inform me should I happen to have a real life discussion of same with someone; that members might regale us with their jerimiads of dealing with either them...

Do ya know..., like as you'd normally do in an online discussion forum of local(*checks forum) topics...

Thanks for the input though.
    I'll ensure a memo is sent your way to scope future discussions.

Yeesh! What an overreaction.

It wasn’t apparent that you wanted the tabloid version of the case, hence why I asked.

I never heard of these two until I read about it in the news awhile back. Talk about an elaborate scheme they had going, we’d be more likely to see a Netflix show with this level of scheming.

Was there any attempt by the courts to establish their mental state given that the degree of calculation they showed could point toward a personality disorder? i.e. what kind of people are that deceitful?

Advertisement