Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD full of files, any worth…? (ethereum mining)

Options
  • 22-02-2021 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Few years back, when the Ethereum started, I downloaded "geth" for Windows and started mining. I had it running 24/7 for several months with my (then) top of the line VGA.
    After noticing that the Electricity bill was very high, and I realized that I cannot compete in a country with that expensive electricity, I stopped it. However, I kept all the generated files locally.

Now I have a folder structure of: /Ethererum /chaindata /ethash /geth /chaindata /ethash /nodes /nodes

First it looks like I have a copy of folders, so I had it running in /Ethereum and at some point I had another instance running in /Ethereum/geth
    Under both "chaindata" folders there are ~60K files of "dddddd.ibd" files and some others like CURRENT, LOCK, LOG, LOG.old, MANIFEST-xxxxxxx.

I do not have an account, or wallet. Just had it mining.

Now I am on Linux, installed geth and tried to run it with "geth --datadir "/Ethereum"
    When I did that, I am getting tons of logs like this:
    INFO [02-22|11:02:52.835] Deep froze chain segment                 blocks=30001 elapsed=4.158s number=1650054 hash="c17d88…0914ff" 
    INFO [02-22|11:02:56.469] Deep froze chain segment                 blocks=30001 elapsed=3.634s number=1680055 hash="1df192…6de3b8" 
    INFO [02-22|11:03:00.164] Deep froze chain segment                 blocks=30001 elapsed=3.694s number=1710056 hash="ae6ee9…b31182" 
    INFO [02-22|11:03:04.061] Deep froze chain segment                 blocks=30001 elapsed=3.896s number=1740057 hash="436215…cce7f0" 
    INFO [02-22|11:03:07.951] Deep froze chain segment                 blocks=30001 elapsed=3.889s number=1770058 hash="22fcfc…a0c7ac" 
    INFO [02-22|11:03:11.908] Deep froze chain segment                 blocks=30001 elapsed=3.957s number=1800059 hash="dfa290…c3ed60" 
    WARN [02-22|11:03:12.476] Checkpoint challenge timed out, dropping id=e1b541d10cc201ab conn=dyndial addr=18.162.109.156:30304 type=Geth/v1.9.19-stable-...

What can I do with the files? Are they of any worth? Can I push them to a wallet?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wizard! wrote: »
    I do not have an account, or wallet. Just had it mining.

Then you were likely just mining into someone else's Ethereum address. Was quite common back then, when there weren't so many instructions around. You setup and got going with bits of code that you picked up somewhere, but didn't really know how it worked and you were delighted when it seemed to be mining?

I'm just guessing here of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

unkel wrote: »
    Then you were likely just mining into someone else's Ethereum address. Was quite common back then, when there weren't so many instructions around. You setup and got going with bits of code that you picked up somewhere, but didn't really know how it worked and you were delighted when it seemed to be mining?
    Yesterday I did a lot of reading and I read about the address setting in geth.
    I didn't setup any address either.
    I have no idea how mining works, so I am guessing here too, is there a chance that I mined locally and somehow I have to "deliver" the results?

Where can I ask for more info about this?
    Tried Reddit, Ethereum.StachExchange, but didn't get a definite answer.

I have no idea how mining works, so I am guessing here too, is there a chance that I mined locally and somehow I have to "deliver" the results?

No. Mining only works when you are online.

If you didn't get a new Ethereum address for yourself and set that up in the mining software, you were most likely mining for someone else.

If you didn't get a new Ethereum address for yourself and set that up in the mining software, you were most likely mining for someone else.
    Can we make sure that this is the case, before I delete 200GB of files...? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Can we make sure that this is the case, before I delete 200GB of files...? :o

Since you are unsure -why on earth would you delete stuff for the sake of a 200gig drive ?

Put the drive in a safe place until you suss it out

• Advertisement

I wouldn't delete anything. What's the benefit in deleting it? Storage costs nothing these days. Maybe someone else can comment? You might be better off asking in a place where more people know about mining (from the early days). Maybe some reddit forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭crushproof

I'd find a relevant forum on reddit to post on to try and get an answer. Unlikely you'll have access to any ETH but you never know!

I got all excited recently after finding a BTC wallet on an old USB pen drive from 2013. Convinced I had found my ticket to a life of riches but after finally finding my passcode there was 0.00BTC in the wallet. I then recalled I downloaded the mining software one night and didn't bother spending 5 minutes to work out what to do and just forgot about it. In hindsight what a regrettable 5 minutes.

You might be better off asking in a place where more people know about mining (from the early days). Maybe some reddit forums?
    crushproof wrote: »
    I'd find a relevant forum on reddit to post on to try and get an answer. Unlikely you'll have access to any ETH but you never know!
    Did that already, but no answers yet since yesterday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Only place for question like this would be here
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=14.0

Advertisement