Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing driving masonry nail into skirting

Options
  • 22-02-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I've a short bit of skirting on an internal masonry wall that popped out. The opposite is glass so I can't use No More nails and prop. I opted for a masonry nail. It's hard to drive and sparks were flying so next time I'll wear eye protection, lesson learned! The issue is getting the nail flush and in a couple of mm so I can backfill. I tried a nail punch but it's awkward and it's slipped off a couple of times as you can see in the picture. Any ideas on how to get it in, please?

FqOQ5R.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

boardtc wrote: »
    I've a short bit of skirting on an internal masonry wall that popped out. The opposite is glass so I can't use No More nails and prop. I opted for a masonry nail. It's hard to drive and sparks were flying so next time I'll wear eye protection, lesson learned! The issue is getting the nail flush and in a couple of mm so I can backfill. I tried a nail punch but it's awkward and it's slipped off a couple of times as you can see in the picture. Any ideas on how to get it in, please?

FqOQ5R.jpg

Don't understand the glass scenario but try an angle grinder to cut the head off the nail and then fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

You're not going to knock that in with a punch. My advice would be to simply hit it harder, with a bit of accuracy in the hammer arm. Board is going to need a skim of filler anyways, so a hammer dent isn't going to be an issue.

I wouldn't cut the head off the nail myself - the board may simply pop off the remaining shaft of the nail, with no nail head to keep it in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

FqOQ5R.jpg
    https://tinyurl.com/4nxn7so8
    4nxn7so8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Take the nail out and use Tec7 grip adhesive.
    I don't get the glass reference.

Something I've noticed about my 1970s block built house.
    Every thing was nailed on, Architraves, skirting and even saddle boards nailed down.
    How were they so good at driving steel nails back in the day ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

stoneill wrote: »

I presumed there was a glass wall or panel directly across from the skirting board, therefore the OP didn't want to use no-more-nails and wedge a timber between the skirting board and the glass until it set.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Every thing was nailed on, Architraves, skirting and even saddle boards nailed down.

Stronger folks back then. No social media :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

listermint wrote: »

And no fancy glue available either! I think you will be able to drive that head in a tad more, you just need a bigger punch and use a lump hammer, I've done similar many times with a stubborn nail!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

The carpenter was nailing into 'young' block/plaster. Fifty years later, its not young.

I dowel and screw (DIY) when replacing stuff. I noticed a tradesman lately using a powered nailer. He had some, but not many duds fired into old plaster/ block.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Did mine using rawl plugs.
    Use a narrow drill bit to make a mark on the wall through the skirting.
    Take skirting away, drill the holes for the plugs.
    Screw on the skirting burying the heads.
    Optional step: take pictures so you can find the screws in years to come.
    Filler over the screw heads.
    Paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭boardtc

I would normally glue and use a prop to hold it in, but the opposite side is 4m away and glass so using a prop to hold the skirting in while glue sets is difficult. @Mike_ie probably summarised better!

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Did mine using rawl plugs.
    Use a narrow drill bit to make a mark on the wall through the skirting.
    Take skirting away, drill the holes for the plugs.
    Screw on the skirting burying the heads.
    Optional step: take pictures so you can find the screws in years to come.
    Filler over the screw heads.
    Paint.

Nice idea and good thinking re the pictures. In this case, it's a middle section of about 3m skirting that popped out a bit so removing the skirting completely would be overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Hatefull yokes, steel nails, you would have them nailed in, and then a few minutes later they would start breaking , lads who couldn't hit them accurately were known as clover leaf carpenters

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Back in the day we used to use hammer-actuated ramsets, haven't seen one in years. Were just the job for driving masonry nails.
    ramset-loads-boosters-00022-64_1000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

listermint wrote: »

And no impact drivers to put in screws. Imagine driving screws by hand :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

mloc123 wrote: »

I was that soldier. We developed very strong wrists.

Roadtoad wrote: »
    The carpenter was nailing into 'young' block/plaster. Fifty years later, its not young.

Thats probably it alight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I would normally glue and use a prop to hold it in, but the opposite side is 4m away and glass so using a prop to hold the skirting in while glue sets is difficult. @Mike_ie probably summarised better!

A couple of concrete blocks and prop would do this - just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Using Tec7 is almost instant, won't need a prop, just hold it in place for about 20 seconds

Using Tec7 is almost instant, won't need a prop, just hold it in place for about 20 seconds

If you walls are straight:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

That doesnt look like a masonry nail, they are usually shiny.
    Are you sure its not a standard wire nail?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

mloc123 wrote: »

Yankee screwdriver and slot headed screws

And no fancy glue available either! I think you will be able to drive that head in a tad more, you just need a bigger punch and use a lump hammer, I've done similar many times with a stubborn nail!

Thanks, that worked perfect! I picked up a great blue set punch set on Amazon for 6 euro, lovely case too, real solid build. Never knew about different size ones, I used 2 of the other ones for other jobs today, great bit of kit. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

Pull the nail out. replace with smaller nail in same hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

This was all possible in the days before vaccines and 5G.

Advertisement