Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maria Bailey still “Seriously Injured”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'll never forget that interview.....had to pull in at side of road....thought it was Mario rosenstock gift grub.....can never understand why her handlers/ advisors let her near a microphone
    I was in stitches.

The part with him asking so you admit you were on the swing holding a glass of wine in one hand while you reached for a bottle your friend was holding...she said....well that is up to a judge to decide....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭golfball37

She lied in an affidavit made with Josepha Madigans law firm. She said she couldn’t run or exercise after her injuries in a sworn legal statement which would have been a record for the court.
    She should have been pursued for fraud imo

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That's not proof she wasn't injured.

She dropped the case because of the public attention, not because she didn't have a leg to stand on.

Her problem was that she dropped it too late. Once the public knew about it, it was curtains for her political career.
    Alan Farrell managed to hang on and even got some money out of his dodgy claim though.
    Not sure why he didn't receive same attention...I honestly think the interview did for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

You need proof beyond a reasonable doubt to get a conviction for insurance fraud. And Bailey's case doesn't come close to that.

She did fall off the swing. That did happen. So she didn't make that up.

Having a swing in a hotel where people would be drinking is stupid on the part of the hotel. It's entirely forseeable that someone could have a few bevvies on board and fall off the swing.

The hotel altered the swing following the incident where they put a non-slip surface on the swing. I think it was non-lip tape. That also points to the fact that the swing may have been slippy and therefore more dangerous.

Now you might think I'm clutching at straws but both of those things are very much points in favour of Bailey should she have continued on with her personal injury claim. The hotel would have found it very difficult to win that case.

The only way Bailey could be in trouble legally for insurance fraud would be if she was caught out telling lies in court. That didn't happen because she dropped her case before it got to court.

I agree with you on the liability aspect it's more the s26 aspect that caught her out or at least had the potential to if the hotel pushed it (no pun intended)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I hope this interview backfires as much as the radio interview did. The sense of entitlement has only intensified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

golfball37 wrote: »
    She lied in an affidavit made with Josepha Madigans law firm. She said she couldn’t run or exercise after her injuries in a sworn legal statement which would have been a record for the court.
    She should have been pursued for fraud imo

Nope. You need a bit more proof than that.

Like I said earlier, I agree with people that it was a cash grab. And one that backfired spectacularly because of the negative publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

That's not proof she wasn't injured.

She dropped the case because of the public attention, not because she didn't have a leg to stand on.

Her problem was that she dropped it too late. Once the public knew about it, it was curtains for her political career.

How could she be injured and run and complete a 10km race? She didn't run the race on a Playstation Virtual mat

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

That interview will live long in the memory and be one of those political moments people will remember for a long time.

I'm stunned she thinks that the best way to get back into the spotlight is to do a piece like this just highlights her decision making abilities have not improved in the slightest. Wtf is she thinking,a genuine lol fron me reading the latest article.

Her arguments are basically as follows - Still claims she is injured, still thinks she didn't do anything wrong, links herself to caroline flack, the only mistake she made was doing the interviews ew because she got caught out and everyone saw what she was truly like.

Haha, jesus. The notions in this one. Like father like daughter.

buried wrote: »
    How could she be injured and run and complete a 10km race? She didn't run the race on a Playstation Virtual mat

But it wasn't even a good time....for her...lol
    She was clearly badly injured....

• Advertisement

Didn't she run a 55 min 10k, that's not somebody who's injured

Augme wrote: »
    That interview will live long in the memory and be one of those political moments people will remember for a long time.

I'm stunned she thinks that the best way to get back into the spotlight is to do a piece like this just highlights her decision making abilities have not improved in the slightest. Wtf is she thinking,a genuine lol fron me reading the latest article.

Her arguments are basically as follows - Still claims she is injured, still thinks she didn't do anything wrong, links herself to caroline flack, the only mistake she made was doing the interviews ew because she got caught out and everyone saw what she was truly like.

Haha, jesus. The notions in this one. Like father like daughter.

Ah of course speaking of corruption...where to start with her father...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

How do you know she didn't hurt herself? Genuine question. She did a run a few weeks later but that isn't proof that she wasn't injured in the fall.

And yes, I agree with you that it was a cash grab. It's after backfiring bigtime and costing her far more than she would have gotten in her claim.

I don't particularly feel sorry for her............my only point is that, given my experience in dealing with personal injury claims (I'm not a legal professional but I deal with them) she had a very strong case based on what happened. The hotel would have found it extremely difficult to defend the case. I think their only chance of success would have been if they could catch Bailey out in a lie on the stand or in an Affidavit.

Did she guild the lilly..........who knows, it's possible........I'm not privvy to her medical reports.

People saying she should have been prosecuted don't know what they are talking about.

I think her doing the 10k run and going to Longitude show she didn't injure herself in the slightest. I'm delighted she got absolutely nothing.

She'd want to take a step back from giving interviews as well. She's ****ing useless at them.

Didn't she run a 55 min 10k, that's not somebody who's injured
    But that was such a bad time for her...she was clearly badly injured from her horrific fall....

McCrack wrote: »
    I agree with you on the liability aspect it's more the s26 aspect that caught her out or at least had the potential to if the hotel pushed it (no pun intended)

We'll never know because it didn't get far enough to put it to the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

...Her problem was that... there was a video

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭StevenToast

NIMAN wrote: »
    She's seriously injured a year after it but was able to run a 10k a couple of weeks after it.

It's obvious she got some pr advise....lie low for a year then try to restart the career. Start by trying to get a bit of sympathy, say you are still feeling effects of the fall.

She needs to lie low for alot longer than a year...preferably stay out of the public eye for the rest of her life...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

It's possible to be injured, to feel pretty good after a few weeks, go for a run and then aggravate that injury. Is that what happened in Bailey's case, I can't say because I don't know.

Like I said, Bailey may have 'guilded the lilly' or maybe she didn't. But the hotel were potentially liable for having a slippy swing there in the first place.

I'd love if personal responsibility was taken into account more, but unfortunately the bar is set very high when it comes to legal responsibility for health and safety matters.

I think her doing the 10k run and going to Longitude show she didn't injure herself in the slightest. I'm delighted she got absolutely nothing.

She'd want to take a step back from giving interviews as well. She's ****ing useless at them.

That's anecdotal evidence. The court would rely on medical reports a lot more than anecdotal evidence.

She's finished politically. Done for. Kaput.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    FYP

What did the video show? Serious question?

If the video showed her acting the b0llix on the swing, holding bottles etc.........that might mean that there was contributory negligence, but it doesn't absolve the hotel from their possible liability if the accident was forseeable or if the swing was slippy.

It's possible to be injured, to feel pretty good after a few weeks, go for a run and then aggravate that injury. Is that what happened in Bailey's case, I can't say because I don't know.

lol

Gway ta f**k with that ridiculousness willya

By that f**king type of logic you may as well sue the hospital you were born in for bringing you into this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Regardless of what she's done, the people telling her to "jump off a cliff" and all that abuse need their heads examined. What kind of a person sends that kind of a message to another person?

lol

Gway ta f**k with that ridiculousness willya

By that f**king logic you may as well sue the hospital you were born in for bringing you into this world.

Plenty of people would love to be able to sue the hospital for bringing me into the world. :D

Yes, it does look like Bailey was over-egging the pudding. But proving it is another thing.

And me thinking that she wouldn't be able to run that time if she was injured, and you thinking the same doesn't make a jot of difference. The court would rely on medical reports and I'd be surprised if Bailey didn't have medical reports detailing her injuries.

• Well... This has gone well. What a badly timed PR release that is. She should have kept quiet for another few years.

FFFG probably delighted as it's deflecting some of the heat off the Covid strategy criticism this evening.

With all the stuff around footballers and all lately she’s obviously been told by her PR people to jump on the ‘online abuse’ bandwagon for a bit of sympathy. Can’t see her getting much of it regardless, she’s completely unrepentant and just thinks it’s all been done to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

What did the video show? Serious question?

If the video showed her acting the b0llix on the swing, holding bottles etc.........that might mean that there was contributory negligence, but it doesn't absolve the hotel from their possible liability if the accident was forseeable or if the swing was slippy.

No idea what was in the video, but it was enough to make most of the players in the shakedown to back tf off.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    No idea what was in the video, but it was enough to make most of the players in the shakedown to back tf off.

I reckon it was the negative publicity that 'done her in' myself rather than the contents of the video. Because absolutely nobody is denying that she fell off the swing. And I think how she fell off is a side issue (maybe contributory negligence), the main issue is the swing being there in the first place in the condition that it was in.

Anyway, that's enough devil's advocate for tonight. I'm off to bed. Have fun.

Plenty of people would love to be able to sue the hospital for bringing me into the world. :D

Yes, it does look like Bailey was over-egging the pudding. But proving it is another thing.

And me thinking that she wouldn't be able to run that time if she was injured, and you thinking the same doesn't make a jot of difference. The court would rely on medical reports and I'd be surprised if Bailey didn't have medical reports detailing her injuries.

Medical reports won't account for much if there is actual evidence of you running a 10km race while trying to claim you suffer from lower back pain and damaged hips while doing so. I work in construction and know all about lower back pain and shoddy hips, I can't drive a van on a road for more than 10km without suffering more of it let alone run on the thing utilising my back and hips. Any worthwhile legal goon would have shown the same conclusion. Her futile case would have been thrown out of court quicker than a dirty nappy out the nursery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

She's a lying auld b.t.h

And what is she talking about Caroline Flack? Sure she was being prosecuted for smashing the boyfriend over the head with a lamp!

Why do so many people nowadays take f.uck all responsibility for their own stupid actions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Regardless of what she's done, the people telling her to "jump off a cliff" and all that abuse need their heads examined. What kind of a person sends that kind of a message to another person?

Jump off a cliff? Not quite the death threat she needed to get to play the victim again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The biggest mistake she made was pursuing something like that while being a public figure and of course anything like her making a claim over falling off a swing was going to end up in the news papers.

If she had simply said she wanted her medical expenses covered for treatment, chances are the hotel would have covered it through insurance but going for a big payout made sure it was never going to happen as it would have been gotten wind of by the media and turned into the circus, which it did.

Going for a 10km race a few weeks later certainly didnt help her case either, but that was just stupidity knowing she was going to take a case.

If she was some random person who put in a claim, chances are she would have got a payout of some description to just go away as things like this can drag on for months in court and end up costing more in legal fees than the payout itself.

The fact she received threats is definitely a bit over the top but you always get idiots hiding behind their anonymity targeting people any chance they get, when most would probably jump at the chance of a big payday if the sane thing happened to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

That's anecdotal evidence. The court would rely on medical reports a lot more than anecdotal evidence.

She's finished politically. Done for. Kaput.

Id like to think, hopefully so

Rodin wrote: »
    She's a lying auld b.t.h

And what is she talking about Caroline Flack? Sure she was being prosecuted for smashing the boyfriend over the head with a lamp!

Why do so many people nowadays take f.uck all responsibility for their own stupid actions?

Spot on, if I fell off anything while holding 2 drinks (and denying I had any previous drink taken), I should rightly be told to fcuk off.
    I slipped on a nightclub floor once, had a few drinks taken, someone had spilled some drink, I hopped back up and we all had a laugh, me in shame and others for the hilarity of it, not for one second did I think there and then or the next morning of claiming. You wouldnt do anything at all for the concern of doing an injury, these people not only take no personal responsibility, they want others to pay for that. MB is no better than Luas Surfer or the likes. Caroline Flack sounded like an awful person to me, it doesnt surprise me someone equally awful would cite that person for their own ends.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Going for a 10km race a few weeks later certainly didnt help her case either, but that was just stupidity knowing she was going to take a case.

It wasn't stupidity. It was her showing the TRUTH that she wasn't injured.
    That's not 'stupidity', that's deviousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

She's very busy milking this on twitter today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

"Still" seriously injured implies she was seriously injured at the time.

Nobody who is seriously injured runs a 10k.
    End of.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

It wasn't stupidity. It was her showing the TRUTH that she wasn't injured.
    That's not 'stupidity', that's deviousness.

Fair enough but it definitely looked stupid to the average Joe wondering how she could possibly claim to be injured then do a 10km race a few weeks later while still claiming to be injured.

She's very busy milking this on twitter today.

I don't think it will do her any good in the current economic climate with hundred of thousands out of work due to covid and she trying to claw her way back onto the gravy train that is politics.

Disgraceful using Caroline Flack as a comparison.

Fair enough but it definitely looked stupid to the average Joe wondering how she could possibly claim to be injured then do a 10km race a few weeks later while still claiming to be injured.

Yeah true I get you there, It did look stupid, but speaking as a average Joe myself I found it more infuriating than stupid. As I've said, I work for myself, in manual labour, in construction, my entire body is wracked to $hit and I'm only gone 40, but I don't sue anybody for the blame. No intention to. I also work for myself, have to take out all manner of public liability insurance policies that grow year by year, 100's of euro by 100's of euro, a good bit of that because the likes of Ms. Bailey, a supposed 'public representative' tries to take out shoddy devious claims like the one she did. I'm just f**king sick of it, and I was delighted she was shown up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

I didnt think it was possible for her to go lower in my estimation but she has managed it.
    She has learned nothing,trying to establish a connection to the Caroline Flack suicide is a new low.
    Maria Bailey is a bad person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

She says she still has no idea why she was kicked out of the party because she wasn't ever given a reason. The woman is delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The complete lack of self awareness and entitlement is amazing.

And using somebody's suicide is truly horrible.

The biggest mistake she made was pursuing something like that while being a public figure and of course anything like her making a claim over falling off a swing was going to end up in the news papers.

If she had simply said she wanted her medical expenses covered for treatment, chances are the hotel would have covered it through insurance but going for a big payout made sure it was never going to happen as it would have been gotten wind of by the media and turned into the circus, which it did.

If she was some random person who put in a claim, chances are she would have got a payout of some description to just go away as things like this can drag on for months in court and end up costing more in legal fees than the payout itself.

The fact she received threats is definitely a bit over the top but you always get idiots hiding behind their anonymity targeting people any chance they get, when most would probably jump at the chance of a big payday if the sane thing happened to them.

Well, she claimed she got threats, looking for the sympathy imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

She also used her father's illness as an excuse for the car crash interview.

What an absolute mental case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'd have a smidgen of sympathy for her as she became a lightning rod for people and businesses absolutely fed-up with the insurance racket in the country.

But, she absolutely didn't help herself by carrying on like a classic South Dublin Karen that everyone is familiar with and was a member of a governing party that was and is quite unpopular for being snooty and entitled in the first instance.

She had a good run making it to the Oireachtas as a fairly low-talent politician in the first place, and would probably be served best served keeping quiet and starting a new career as a yoga teacher or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

NIMAN wrote: »
    She's seriously injured a year after it but was able to run a 10k a couple of weeks after it.

It's obvious she got some pr advise....lie low for a year then try to restart the career. Start by trying to get a bit of sympathy, say you are still feeling effects of the fall.

The fall was in 2015 so 5 yrs after it yet like you say she was able to run a pretty decent time in a 10k 3 weeks after her fall but some how 5/6 yrs later is still seriously injured! Like how can you still be seriously injured 5 yrs later when you weren’t seriously injured in the first place you daft bint!!

She’s an out and out liar and if she gets more abuse because of her pathetic ‘poor me’ story now then she deserves every bit of it.

And to draw similarities between herself and Caroline flack is downright wrong.

Maria Bailey us a vile individual that will stop at nothing to ‘right’ the wrong she feels has been bestowed on her. She deserves every bit of bad luck that comes her way.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'd have a smidgen of sympathy for her as she became a lightning rod for people and businesses absolutely fed-up with the insurance racket in the country.

But, she absolutely didn't help herself by carrying on like a classic South Dublin Karen that everyone is familiar with and was a member of a governing party that was and is quite unpopular for being snooty and entitled in the first instance.

She had a good run making it to the Oireachtas as a fairly low-talent politician in the first place, and would probably be served best served keeping quiet and starting a new career as a yoga teacher or something.

It really might have to be outside the self employed aspect, she is trying to get back into self entitled employment aka politics, paid a lot for fcuk all or incompetence.
    She wont be able to sue herself for getting herself injured getting into a stupid dog pose or whatever they are called.

How can you have any sort of sympathy for it Yurt? She did that $hit to her ownself and she clearly has no awareness of how ordinary people and businesses such as myself are fed up with it, and yet she wants to be a 'public representative' and get all the trappings we also have to pay for that to go with it. No sympathy is required here. It just highlights how disconnected the likes of this article is from the rest of us that have unwittingly put her in the lofty position she feels she is twistedley entitled to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

How can you have any sort of sympathy for it Yurt? She did that $hit to her ownself and she clearly has no awareness of how ordinary people and businesses such as myself are fed up with it, and yet she wants to be a 'public representative' and get all the trappings we also have to pay for that to go with it. No sympathy is required here. It just highlights how disconnected the likes of this article is from the rest of us that have unwittingly put her in the lofty position she feels she is twistedley entitled to.

I mean it can't be comfortable becoming public enemy number 1 and being Ireland's top national embarrassment for about a month, very few people are made of tough enough stuff for that not to effect them.

To be clear, she did it to herself and really doubled-down to make it worse, that's obvious to most people.

I really don't know why she's coming back to take another bite of the media cherry though; you'd think her husband or family would take her aside and tell her to let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Why anyone would want to start a business in this country with lowlifes like her around looking for an easy few quid is a mystery. Insurance costs are a huge issue in Ireland for years now because of chancers like her. anyone that would ever give her a vote again would want their head examined. she is a con woman, simple as.

I think she used her maiden name in the claim so her real identity wouldn't be revealed, very sly but stupid at the same time.

I mean it can't be comfortable becoming public enemy number 1 and being Ireland's top national embarrassment for about a month, very few people are made of tough enough stuff for that not to effect them.

To be clear, she did it to herself and really doubled-down to make it worse, that's obvious to most people.

I really don't know why she's coming back to take another bite of the media cherry though; you'd think her husband or family would take her aside and tell her to let it go.

Yet, she is coming back, she either is a dolt, no shame, a brass neck, so little experience/so much privilege that she doesnt realise how thick she is? one of them at least

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement