Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

Massive increase in places opening for takeaway pints, food and cocktails etc. lately.

Government as usual are way of the pace, the big long drawn out and kite flying routine about opening hospitality in June.

An awful lot of places will be at it long before then.

And a lot more people hopping across the border for pints.

Not the first time they will look like idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

400+days the nonfood nontakeaway pubs still shut...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

There is absolutely nothing stopping at least outdoor dining and beer garden pints at the moment.

The government really are cowards, they don't give a feck as they have their wages every month.

If they really wanted even have a Sunday to Thursday opening time where people will be less inclined to get messy and leave them shut Friday and Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭aziz

There is absolutely nothing stopping at least outdoor dining and beer garden pints at the moment.

The government really are cowards, they don't give a feck as they have their wages every month.

If they really wanted even have a Sunday to Thursday opening time where people will be less inclined to get messy and leave them shut Friday and Saturday.

Not true, I can get quite messy any night,Sunday to Thursday 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Outdoors in the Sun is the way to go.

aziz wrote: »
    Not true, I can get quite messy any night,Sunday to Thursday ðŸ˜

Same as myself, often I didn't remember walking to work on a Friday or Monday morning haha.

Too often

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

pottokblue wrote: »
    400+days the nonfood nontakeaway pubs still shut...

An absolute scandal. Did any other country ever come close to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

An absolute scandal. Did any other country ever come close to that?

Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Massive increase in places opening for takeaway pints, food and cocktails etc. lately.
    People need to make a living and somehow get on with their lives. Basic economics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Id take anything now atm (even if it meant getting a mandatory meal), sick of getting drunk inside the 4 walls of my room and zoom stuff

I got a few takeaway pints last weekend it's nice but trying to find somewhere to sit/stand and toilets can be an issue. Think i'll stick to cans til the pubs reopen, it's a little cheaper but nice to get a bit of draught beer the odd time

I'm thinking the government are panicking a bit because of all the bank holiday weekends coming up (May/June and Aug) and they know people will go mad when they allow hospitality open (people 100% right too). We all know NPHETs stance and that won't change ever

Let's hope places reopening in the North will make our dummies act fast but they all think people wont be going over the border and its not an issue. The irish government/NPHET will show the rest of Europe how good boys/girls we were for having our pubs closed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Heading up north in a few weeks for a night out, the vermin here doing their upmost to keep the country in jail, you wont be seeing the inside of any pubs here for a long time, half the country will be going up north or acrtoss to Wales or England for weekend sessions

https://extra.ie/2021/04/21/news/irish-news/wedding-guests-summer#gallery_1

I'm guessing he's trying to be the good guy now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

PTH2009 wrote: »

And realistically how many places will be able to open and make it viable with outdoor dining/drinking?

And realistically how many places will be able to open and make it viable with outdoor dining/drinking?
    Yeah and some places with very small smoking areas won't bother I'd say

In some cities could we see streets been pedestrianised for the weekends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

I wish ministers would just stick to talking about the area they have some control of. His comments don't help at all, he should just keep his mouth closed on the subject. Why do Irish politicians feel they have to give an answer on every question they're asked ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah and some places with very small smoking areas won't bother I'd say

In some cities could we see streets been pedestrianised for the weekends?

Probably will be and yet again the rural/urban divide will be evident,pubs in cities will be allowed street space(and best of luck to them) but the country pub will suffer again

SteM wrote: »
    I wish ministers would just stick to talking about the area they have some control of. His comments don't help at all, he should just keep his mouth closed on the subject. Why do Irish politicians feel they have to give an answer on every question they're asked ffs.

Maybe he had a few to many wines with the dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yea i would have pints in the shankill rd i wouldnt give a fuuck to be honest. There will be mass spill into the north each friday afternoon , same with mainland britain in summer. it will be like the wet and dry counties in US states. im almost certain tony will pull a stunt and be allowed away with it too. Im still going for mid august, we get 3 weeks saycation then they will try to close them for winter flu season. the only thing is once they get open i could see mass civil disobediance if they were ever threatned with shutting again. pubs simply would keep open and gardau would be plagued shutting pubs every day and then pubs opening an hour after they left, this sort of thing could be unpolicable in rural areas. gardai might shut a pub and if it were open 30 mins later the gardai could be a few days getting back to shut it again. it would be juvenile but would draw attention to the madness of it. eventually gardai wouldnt bother doing it and refuse to in some cases.

I would be hopeful that when non food pubs do open there will be no restrictions enforced. I dont think you will see Gardai moving in on pubs much at all to see restrictions are adhered to this time around. they simply dont have time or resources now to do such trivial things as seeing are people having a burger with 5 or 6 pints

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yea i would have pints in the shankill rd i wouldnt give a fuuck to be honest. There will be mass spill into the north each friday afternoon , same with mainland britain in summer. it will be like the wet and dry counties in US states. im almost certain tony will pull a stunt and be allowed away with it too. Im still going for mid august, we get 3 weeks saycation then they will try to close them for winter flu season. the only thing is once they get open i could see mass civil disobediance if they were ever threatned with shutting again. pubs simply would keep open and gardau would be plagued shutting pubs every day and then pubs opening an hour after they left, this sort of thing could be unpolicable in rural areas. gardai might shut a pub and if it were open 30 mins later the gardai could be a few days getting back to shut it again. it would be juvenile but would draw attention to the madness of it. eventually gardai wouldnt bother doing it and refuse to in some cases.

I would be hopeful that when non food pubs do open there will be no restrictions enforced. I dont think you will see Gardai moving in on pubs much at all to see restrictions are adhered to this time around. they simply dont have time or resources now to do such trivial things as seeing are people having a burger with 5 or 6 pints

Let me knw who you get on having your pints on the Shankil Road . True what your saying about a mass exodus each weekend to the UK and the North

I won't be going up north for a pint, too far in any case. I'll go to my Covid free (old fellas pub) and have a few there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

saabsaab wrote: »
    I won't be going up north for a pint, too far in any case. I'll go to my Covid free (old fellas pub) and have a few there.

how selfish. killing all your relatives and everyone you ever will know

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ingo1984

When they allow outdoor service in the pubs, do people honestly believe they'll open?

1. How many pubs have outdoor seating?
    2. Of those, how many pubs have enough outdoor capacity to be able to turn a meaningful profit?
    3. I think of the ones that satisfy 1 and 2 above will just say, 'thanks but we'll stay closed and continue to receive the business income supports until we can fully reopen'.

ingo1984 wrote: »
    1. How many pubs have outdoor seating?
    2. Of those, how many pubs have enough outdoor capacity to be able to turn a meaningful profit?
    3. I think of the ones that satisfy 1 and 2 above will just say, 'thanks but we'll stay closed and continue to receive the business income supports until we can fully reopen'.
    4. How many are still going concerns?

Answer to all that is when the 'Virus stops loving alcohol' we can open up pubs in the south but **** knows when that could be esp with the General back in his seat and saying 'how concerned he is'

The virus loves Ireland the most and targets us in the most cruel of ways

Off for a few pints now with the local bar man along with five of us in the beer garden. He got a keg of Heineken and Guinness in.

No cash been exchanged wink wink just him having a few friends over in his garden.

Haven't had a pint in a long long time.

Off for a few pints now with the local bar man along with five of us in the beer garden. He got a keg of Heineken and Guinness in.

No cash been exchanged wink wink just him having a few friends over in his garden.

Haven't had a pint in a long long time.

I like how you covered one restriction, then immediately announced a different restriction you're breaking.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I like how you covered one restriction, then immediately announced a different restriction you're breaking.

Meh I couldn't give a bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Meh I couldn't give a bollox

Made my day, enjoy the pints

ParkRunner wrote: »
    I was watching a thing on vaccines and Israel have a shot for a shot campaign going on where those who get the vaccine can get a free alcoholic shot. To help the struggling pubs in this country we could do worse than offer a free pint with every vaccine - get people back in the pubs and uptake of the vaccine would improve, especially among the younger people. It might even lighten the mood around the place!

Had a similar idea myself. It would be great.

Tazz T wrote: »
    how selfish. killing all your relatives and everyone you ever will know

Nah. We'll all be vaccinated by then. No worries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiEP6UZ8X_4

• Advertisement

Could be a lot worse. Outdoors with masks better that flying around the world and bringing back variants.

Could be a lot worse. Outdoors with masks better that flying around the world and bringing back variants.

I know, sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across on the internet, as long as everyone is safe and uses common sense, good luck to them.

Jesus you'd love to be going to a pub/late bar tonight listening to cheesy 80s tunes

Feeling it today

yeah its hit me bad today, for some reason i couldnt get it out of my head all day. its going to be mightily strange when that day does come back. i heard a female doctor on radio news today say pubs and restaurants shouldnt open indoors for the rest of summer because its too dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

I know, sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across on the internet, as long as everyone is safe and uses common sense, good luck to them.
    yeah its hit me bad today, for some reason i couldnt get it out of my head all day. its going to be mightily strange when that day does come back. i heard a female doctor on radio news today say pubs and restaurants shouldnt open indoors for the rest of summer because its too dangerous.

Doctors think everything is dangerous...

what is it with them? like can they or have they ever had a life ? or is it just the nerdy types they keep seeking out in the media?

Outdoors suits me fine. A fire, a bit of rain cover and spaced tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Cork2021

We won’t be seeing the inside of any pub or restaurant if Holahan gets his way!

https://www.broadsheet.ie/

Outdoors suits me fine. A fire, a bit of rain cover and spaced tables.

yea same. Now i was thinking today, i know most on this thread are urban dwellers probabaly . and when pubs open they will all be crowded in your area. But its very different for me. one local a few kms from me is in middle of countryside no houses or any village what happens there? like might only be 5 or 6 people there of a night, would these be set up outside on benchs for outdoor hospitality ? surely if its wet anyone there goes inside ? like you might go weeks on end before anyone would call in to see the set up like HSE /Gardai and in reality noone would ever call. like for a lot of pubs around me once outdoor hospitallity happens then pubs open just as normal really. im sure they will have a picnic bench to sit at set up but people will be inside in jacks etc , espically when there might only be 4 or 5 people of a night there.

One pub i go to an odd time, i went in two seperate saturday nights at 9pm and was the only one in the bar,the owner came out served me then went back in to watch the news, and shouted out to me from his living room! in fairness he came out for the chat then after news. can anyone imagine any restrictions hapeening in that pub. cant wait to frequent these places once pubs open, no bulls**** or hassle just walk in and pull up a stool.

• Advertisement

im indoor dining all the way (when it's permitted), for some reason when the wind hits im ****ed outdoors and want to stay inside and move around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Public order unit were out in force today , thousands of people out drinking on dublins canals. Everyone going round like 16 year olds with cans in bags. My god what I would have given for a few pints in the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭MOR316

In June, when I'm sitting in a beer garden with a crisp refreshing pint in front of me, I'll think of this post, and I'll smile.

Will you now?

MOR316 wrote: »
    Will you now?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭MOR316

Yes.

Enjoy Northern Ireland

• Advertisement

Ya shocking, nightclubs should be open come July if everyone getting a first dose around then...instead we're talking about a highly regulated indoor scene being a potential possibility - the mind boggles. Hopefully the UK forces our leaders to wake up and smell the coffee.

How do you see the summer panning out? I'm thinking when June outdoor pints opens up it'll be a lot of street drinking...small coastal towns being very messy with day drinking etc. We need something, people are sick of drinking at home!

Donnie90 wrote: »
    How do you see the summer panning out? I'm thinking when June outdoor pints opens up it'll be a lot of street drinking...small coastal towns being very messy with day drinking etc. We need something, people are sick of drinking at home!
    Far as I can tell outdoor pints have already started. Yesterday there was a certain bar on Abbey Street that even had tables/chairs outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

PommieBast wrote: »
    Far as I can tell outdoor pints have already started. Yesterday there was a certain bar on Abbey Street that even had tables/chairs outside.

Seems to be a lot of places selling draught beers...

Passed the Off-licence yesterday and noticed a long queue outside... maybe stocking up before Minimum alcohol pricing comes in? :D

I've lost track of what is guidance and what is the actual law, but what is clear is the the authorities have lost all respect.

Meanwhile nightclubs are busy selling off their furniture..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Neowise

PommieBast wrote: »
    I've lost track of what is guidance and what is the actual law, but what is clear is the the authorities have lost all respect.

Meanwhile nightclubs are busy selling off their furniture..

Nightclubs are not busy.
    An auction house is busy, selling off furniture which it has been collecting from the hospitality establishments over the years during their renovations.

Auctioneer Victor Mee said: “This sale has been in the works for many years and we are so excited to finally get the opportunity to bring the lots to auction"

• Advertisement
Advertisement