Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

Great to see the joyous scenes all over the country with people out drinking this weekend. Hopefully we finally have the covideers, NPHET, NIAC, the government and variants on the run now.

Saw a few passing us almost sneering in disgust out their car windows, you could picture them picking up the phone to cry to the guards about all the people enjoying themselves and not fretting about the casedemic or the lack of Oxygen in India.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Neowise wrote: »
    Auctioneer Victor Mee said: “This sale has been in the works for many years and we are so excited to finally get the opportunity to bring the lots to auction"
    The timing is somewhat ironic.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PommieBast wrote: »
    I've lost track of what is guidance and what is the actual law, but what is clear is the the authorities have lost all respect.

Meanwhile nightclubs are busy selling off their furniture..

Most of those clubs have been gone for a decade or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When places do open outdoor or/and indoor it will be like the last days of rone and you can't blame the public either

Can't wait to actually go into a pub/smoking area. Atm you'd swear were all teenagers trying to find a spot to drink our cans without getting caught

Knowing our luck they will allow outdoor hospitality but it will piss out of the heavens all summer

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Knowing our luck they will allow outdoor hospitality but it will piss out of the heavens all summer

What boreen sheeben are you drinking in where outside means outside? Beer gardens have roofs you know?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    What boreen sheeben are you drinking in where outside means outside? Beer gardens have roofs you know?

No those are smoking areas.

No those are smoking areas.

That's funny, because no one has forced me to smoke when I've sat in them with a pint and a paper.

That's funny, because no one has forced me to smoke when I've sat in them with a pint and a paper.

Good for you but it doesn't improve your rubbish claim that beer gardens have roofs. They don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

See the owner and Guinness team outside the local all day today, not sure what he's hoping for he's no outdoor seating unless he's getting one ready but cant see it myself

• Advertisement

What will be the story with opening hours etc if outdoor hospitality is allowed ?. Back to normal or covid hours with 11pm last orders for all

NPHET would be having strokes if they know places will be open past 11pm and were not been good boys and girls been home in bed by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What will be the story with opening hours etc if outdoor hospitality is allowed ?. Back to normal or covid hours with 11pm last orders for all

NPHET would be having strokes if they know places will be open past 11pm and were not been good boys and girls been home in bed by then

No idea but I am bracing myself for the worst, between closing times, time limits and substantial meals I have a bad feeling we will get at least two.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I don't know how you expect someone to answer that. nobody knows is the only answer

England has no curfews in regards hours and meals but this is Ireland and NPHET/Dr Tony wont go down without a fight and will end up getting to a compromise with the return of time limit, curfew of 11pm and of course the mandatory meal :(:(

England has no curfews in regards hours and meals but this is Ireland and NPHET/Dr Tony wont go down without a fight and will end up getting to a compromise with the return of time limit, curfew of 11pm and of course the mandatory meal :(:(

Again your speculating on something we don't know.

Same thing every day

Nothing anyone can do but wait and see what comes

Again your speculating on something we don't know.

Same thing every day

Nothing anyone can do but wait and see what comes

This is a discussion board, in case you missed it.

This is a discussion board, in case you missed it.

Thanks for the smart comment.

If someone asks a question that nobody has the answer to and asks the same thing most days what do you expect? A different answer is it ? Nobody knows if there's going to be time limits, nobody knows if theres going to be a €9 meal, none of us want either, all any of us want are a few pints at last, but asking the same thing every day when nobody knows the answer gets the same reply every day, "nobody knows"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

not looking good for opening in may, on the plus side retail will be open & at least now we'll have places to piss when you're drinking you're take away pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

When the pubs are open and there does happen to be some curfew then it's something. At least they'll be open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd say that there will be time limits but the 9 euro meal will be gone.

England is also months ahead of us in the vaccine rollout, and Scotland have restrictions on food. Its almost like different places are different......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i dont think Gardai will go near pubs to inspect them this time around. when they open they will open and feck all places i will be going will be messing with food bar a few dirty plates for show. cant see their being much inspections though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

saabsaab wrote: »
    I'd say that there will be time limits but the 9 euro meal will be gone.
    Ya all the sounds indicate that the food rule will be gone this time. Apparently at a FF meeting this evening, a number of TDs mentioned that they don't want a distinction between gastropubs and traditional pubs and all should open together and be subject to the same rules.

England is also months ahead of us in the vaccine rollout, and Scotland have restrictions on food. Its almost like different places are different......

You are comparing Apples and Oranges. Its coming into high summer now and incidence of the virus in this country is a lot lower than it was in England when they really ramped up vaccinations.

The reality is the virus is currently contained to sporadic pockets around the country, we have nearly 30% of eligible people with at least first dose.

A phased reopening of hospitality is very achievable from mid May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

They wont open in May though. We pretty much know this unless there is a huge surprise on Thursday. It'll probably be the end of June with hotels maybe closer to the start of June.

It is what it is. We've pretty much known it was going to be like this for a while now and there isn't a whole lot of point giving out about it.

I accepted it a long time ago and while i wasn't too happy accepting it, it's better for the mindset then constantly thinking/whinging about it too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Neowise

You are comparing Apples and Oranges. Its coming into high summer now and incidence of the virus in this country is a lot lower than it was in England when they really ramped up vaccinations.

The reality is the virus is currently contained to sporadic pockets around the country, we have nearly 30% of eligible people with at least first dose.

Not sure about eligible people, but the important percentage is 20%, thats 1st vacinations to full population.

So, using your info, when every eligible person has been vacinated, then only 66.67% of the population would be vacinated.

Why are 1/3 of the population of ireland ineligible to be vacinated?

I thought we needed 85% of the population vacinated for herd immunity, which if 33% of population are ineligible, how are we getting there.

I think i just don't understand what this 1,660,939 ineligible people is all about.

Not sure about eligible people, but the important percentage is 20%, thats 1st vacinations to full population.

So, using your info, when every eligible person has been vacinated, then only 66.67% of the population would be vacinated.

I thought we needed 85% of the population vacinated for herd immunity, which if 33% of population are ineligible, how are we getting there.

I think i just don't understand what this 1,660,939 ineligible people is all about.

Children under 16 won't be getting it AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When pubs open they won't be bothering with €9 meals and might keep the 2 hour limit for a week or so after the novelty wears off. The 2 hour limit is good for them when busy because it keeps a steady flow of customers. When that falls off they will be back to normal.

And don't for one second think a pub will refuse your custom because you don't have a vaccine certificate :pac:

It's looking more likely to be ~70% going by reports from Israel. Not sure where you got 85% from, it would be very challenging to get that level of cover. Anyway, I digress, this is a pubs thread :pac:

I hope to fcuk the pubs, and we as customers, get some level of assurance and clarity from MM tomorrow. This notion of stringing this sector of society along indefinitely has to end. I know it's easy to dismiss pubs as non-essential and patronise people who claim it is good for mental health, etc. but irrespective of all that, we need to start getting our normal lives back. I can live with outdoors, time limits, and table service-only for the moment, but that ridiculous meal rule has to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

I hope to fcuk the pubs, and we as customers, get some level of assurance and clarity from MM tomorrow. This notion of stringing this sector of society along indefinitely has to end. I know it's easy to dismiss pubs as non-essential and patronise people who claim it is good for mental health, etc. but irrespective of all that, we need to start getting our normal lives back. I can live with outdoors, time limits, and table service-only for the moment, but that ridiculous meal rule has to go!
    clarity from MM!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Fitz* wrote: »

They'll push it back 2 weeks, government can stick to their timeline and "certain circles" can pretend they tried to make it happen.

The government are finally admitting that they made up the €9 thing all on their own and it had no basis in fact.

That was always obvious as they could never explain where they dreamt it up from.

They'll push it back 2 weeks, government can stick to their timeline and "certain circles" can pretend they tried to make it happen.

Like clockwork, how do you lads not know how to read between the lines yet......

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387409554334535684?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Like clockwork, how do you lads not know how to read between the lines yet......

What do they expect to hear from NPHET? I could tell you 5 months ago what NPHET's advice for this will be - it won't have changed...

Padkir wrote: »
    What do they expect to hear from NPHET? I could tell you 5 months ago what NPHET's advice for this will be - it won't have changed...

Exactly, government say may when they mean June, nphet say July, government open in June and paint NPHET as the bad guy.

It's been the game along and judging by how some on here paint Tony holohan as the reincarnation of Hitler, it's worked.

Pushing it out to June will see ever increasing crowds outdoors with no facilities and all that that entails.

Hopes shattered

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Heading up the North next weekend on the gargle, fcuk that waiting around this dump for these imcompetent parasites to open pubs,looking forward to it.

Heading up the North next weekend on the gargle, fcuk that waiting around this dump for these imcompetent prasites to open pubs,looking forward to it.

Enjoy, hope it doesn't rain.

Heading up the North next weekend on the gargle, fcuk that waiting around this dump for these imcompetent prasites to open pubs,looking forward to it.

Dead right too. The drinkers Union of Ireland staged a peaceful protest in beauty spots around the country last weekend. This sort of activity is the only way to defeat the covideers.

Pushing it out to June will see ever increasing crowds outdoors with no facilities and all that that entails.

Hopefully they increase the public toilet scheme, throw out a few barrel bins.

Enjoy, hope it doesn't rain.

dont mind im sure they'll have a canopy ;)

Hopefully they increase the public toilet scheme, throw out a few barrel bins.

By doing that they are endorsing illegal mass gathering and will surely attract even bigger crowds.

Government really need to thread carefully with this.

Personally I think they should give date ranges depending on cases and vaccinations, May 24th earliest, June Xth latest. Something like that.

It would buy them another 2 weeks and allow hospitality to gear up.

Dead right too. The drinkers Union of Ireland staged a peaceful protest in beauty spots around the country last weekend. This sort of activity is the only way to defeat the covideers.

I stopped believing the scaremongering and lies lst year, i absolutely refuse to stop living life when i see the likes of the UK ,our nearest neighbours and having been over there on the weekend that the pubs reopened , great time was had and i said fcuk this im not waiting around wishing your life away for pubs to open here, sure nightclubs and concerts and everything will be opening 21st June in the UK and we probably still wont be able to drink indoors, these lockdown fanatics in NPHET and a spineless government are hell bent on destroying the country,the majority of people are finally starting to see this and just getting on with things.

dont mind im sure they'll have a canopy ;)

If they set up the marquee in the middle of Belfast like they do for the Xmas Market, I'd be almost tempted to hop an air coach meself.

If they set up the marquee in the middle of Belfast like they do for the Xmas Market, I'd be almost tempted to hop an air coach meself.

some pubs are doing bookings others walk ins but having been in England the weekend the pubs reopened outdoors you'd be advised to arrive no later that 2pm in the day otherwise the place will be full and you'll be left waiting, i do love an aul boozy afternoon all the same.

i'll let you know how i get on next week :)

• Advertisement

I stopped believing the scaremongering and lies lst year, i absolutely refuse to stop living life when i see the likes of the UK ,our nearest neighbours and having been over there on the weekend that the pubs reopened , great time was had and i said fcuk this im not waiting around wishing your life away for pubs to open here, sure nightclubs and concerts and everything will be opening 21st June in the UK and we probably still wont be able to drink indoors, these lockdown fanatics in NPHET and a spineless government are hell bent on destroying the country,the majority of people are finally starting to see this and just getting on with things.

With the amount of festivals rescheduling because they can't get insurance, I'd be wary of the difference between "allowed to open" and "open"

Advertisement