Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

To me this won't be over till I'm sitting in an indoor pub enjoying a pint and not looking at the clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

not really, you'll have to book well in advance and the chances are with limited outdor seating in most beer gardens you wont even get anywhere, by that time the UK will have indoor seating, we're a laughing stock.

Weren't you saying that was the case in England already?

So we're a laughing stock for opening in the same way as the UK, with the same gap between outdoors and in as the UK, at roughly the same rate of vaccinations as the UK had when they announced their road map?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

not really, you'll have to book well in advance and the chances are with limited outdor seating in most beer gardens you wont even get anywhere, by that time the UK will have indoor seating, we're a laughing stock.

Agreed. Considering the take away pints are ramping up massively there might as well be outdoor drinking with controls in place.

Pure and utter nonsense.

May 24th would have been a perfectly good date to pick, instead June 7 means the bank holiday and the following week are closed.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    To me this won't be over till I'm sitting in an indoor pub enjoying a pint and not looking at the clock

Jesus, it must be horrible living in that blackness, couldn't be me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Jesus, it must be horrible living in that blackness, couldn't be me.

So where you live you can easily walk up to an outdoor place anytime of the day/night and have a few pints. Must be some massive outdoor areas

So we're a laughing stock for opening in the same way as the UK, with the same gap between outdoors and in as the UK, at roughly the same rate of vaccinations as the UK had when they announced their road map?

The weather is much better now.

Our cases numbers per 100000 are a lot lower than when the UK started their mass vaccinating.

We also have the advantage of knowing that reopening the UK outdoors did not cause a significant spike.

We have widespread public drinking now with no controls.

So, yes, we are a laughing stock.

Not surprising considering our government could never explain or justify their braindead €9 meal rule.

So where you live you can easily walk up to an outdoor place anytime of the day/night and have a few pints. Must be some massive outdoor areas

Not anytime no, only during opening hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

For me it will be when i have a look in here and not see you moaning day after day and asking the same bloody question about the infamous €9 meals :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

NPHET /FFG making out they are doing the public a favour, a day of hope he says, fcuk right off Varadakar you dispicable vile man, lockdowns have done far far more damage to the country than this virus ever will that is beyond any doubt, the aviation and tourist industrys are on their knees and it'll take years for them to recover, the hospitality industry is the same amongst others, thousands of people have lost jobs for good, some who have never been out of work in their life,peoples mental health is in a bad bad way after 14 months of harsh lockdowns, and these cnunts thinking they are doing us a favour by dangling a carrot and loosening some restrictions,the UK will be completely back to normal in June and we'll still have to be making bookings for cramped beer gardens and it'll probably rain knowing the weather here.

We are the absolute laughing stock of Europe, with over zealous lockdown fanatics like NPHET effectively calling the shots,and the worst government in the history of this country.

• Advertisement

The weather is much better now.

Perfect for outdoor drinking
    Our cases numbers per 100000 are a lot lower than when the UK started their mass vaccinating.

We also have the advantage of knowing that reopening the UK outdoors did not cause a significant spike.
    So, the uk have shown a safe way to reopen outdoors, we should probably follow that.
    We have widespread public drinking now with no controls
    So, like every time the sun shines.
    So, yes, we are a laughing stock.
    We're not, the majority of the planet couldn't give a **** about us
    Not surprising considering our government could never explain or justify their braindead €9 meal rule.

The rule was fairly easy to understand, if pubs wanted to open they had to operate as Restaraunts, I didn't agree with it, but I understood it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

NPHET /FFG making out they are doing the public a favour, a day of hope he says, fcuk right off Varadakar you dispicable vile man, lockdowns have done far far more damage to the country than this virus ever will that is beyond any doubt, the aviation and tourist industrys are on their knees and it'll take years for them to recover, the hospitality industry is the same amongst others, thousands of people have lost jobs for good, some who have never been out of work in their life,peoples mental health is in a bad bad way after 14 months of harsh lockdowns, and these cnunts thinking they are doing us a favour by dangling a carrot and loosening some restrictions,the UK will be completely back to normal in June and we'll still have to be making bookings for cramped beer gardens and it'll probably rain knowing the weather here.

We are the absolute laughing stock of Europe, with over zealous lockdown fanatics like NPHET effectively calling the shots,and the worst government in the history of this country.
    Christ, do you miserable whinging types never get sick of listening to yourselves?

the difference is the UK have a proper workable roadmap which they fully intend to stick to without any changes, we dont, hence why we are a laughing stock, for example lets do away with the €9 covid meal eh, last year they were adamant it had to stay, beggars belief which "medical professional" ever came up with something so ludricious in the first place, levels 1,2,3,4,5, was there ever a level 1 or 2, we went from level 3 to level 3 and a bit, 3 and a bit to 4 and a bit then 5 then they didnt seem to bother with "levels" anymore,you couldnt make it up the amount of complete and utter fcuk ups of epic proportion they have presided over.

Listen mate if you cant see how much FFG are an absolute laughing stock then i fear the worst for you, making it up as they go along.

jakiah wrote: »
    Christ, do you miserable whinging types never get sick of listening to yourselves?

The irony is that as we begin to open up they wont have anything to complain and rant about, its like a lockdown fetish in reverse.

do you pro government shills ever get sick believing the scaremongering and garbage you are told :rolleyes:

unlike your type of you i tell it as it is, you probably believe everything they tell you as being gospel.

do you pro government shills ever get sick believing the scaremongering and garbage you are told :rolleyes:

unlike the likies of you i tell it as it is.

You tell it like you think it is Dessie, as you think it is

• Advertisement

unlike the likies of you i tell it as it is.

I tell it as it is = I spout whatever comes into my head without rhyme or reason.

The irony is that as we begin to open up they wont have anything to complain and rant about, its like a lockdown fetish in reverse.

you really think that people can forget the untold misery they have subjected the public to since last year, wait until election time, that alone will tell you all you need to know.

I tell it as it is = I spout whatever comes into my head without rhyme or reason.

do you yeah, maybe take a step back and use your brain a bit more mate.

you really think that people can forget the untold misery they have subjected the public to since last year, wait until election time, that alone will tell you all you need to know.

It will yeah, you'll have years of ammunition when fine gael piss their way to a majority government.

You tell it like you think it is Dessie, as you think it is

no i dont like to think anything, the vast majority of people have absolutely no respect for the government whatsover, mind you the ones what do are usually on these type of forums.

• Advertisement

no i dont like to think anything, the vast majority of people have absolutely no respect for the government whatsover, mind you the ones what do are usually on these type of forums.

Give it a try, you might be surprised.

It will yeah, you'll have years of ammunition when fine gael piss their way to a majority government.

:D:D

dream on you madman, that's never ever going to happen in the next election, id be willing to put my house on it.

Give it a try, you might be surprised.

jaysus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Listening to the likes of you didnt exactly lighten the mood. Moan, whinge, complain through the whole pandemic. You are like a child, grow up.

So, what will the next election tell us then? Currently i see little or no major shift away from the main parties but maybe im missing something, please do enlighten me?

So, what will the next election tell us then? Currently i see little or no major shift away from the main parties but maybe im missing something, please do enlighten me?

People apparently won't vote for ffg because of lockdown, but will vote for sf who *checks notes* wanted a harsher lockdown.

Listening to the likes of you didnt exactly lighten the mood. Moan, whinge, complain through the whole pandemic. You are like a child, grow up.

have you lost your job because of this, are you struggling to pay bills and put food on the table, has your health suffered because of this. and you think i should put up and shut up, people like you are every much as part of the problem, just put up with it and say nothing and call other peoople a "child" because they voice their opinion.,

Jaysus im glad i dont come into contact with many like you.

maybe look a bit deeper, the level of anger with this government is palpable and isnt something ive ever seen in my life, polls cant always be believed, but the ones ive seen SF are nearly always near the top, so you think what you like,you'll be in for a surpriose come election time,in fact ill bookmark this thread and revisit it after the election.

Well it depends how you quantify that i suppose. So therefore impossible to comment on really, stage that this 'vast majority' isnt evident in opinon polls and the anti govt vote is dominated by SF who have broadly supported the govt during this crisis. The 6/7& support of the far left parties actually wanted stricter lockdowns so who exactly are this great majority?

maybe look a bit deeper, the level of anger with this government is palpable and isnt something ive ever seen in my life, polls cant always be believed, but the ones ive seen SF are nearly always near the top, so you think what you like,you'll be in for a surpriose come election time,in fact ill bookmark this thread and revisit it after the election.

You know the next election is not for 4 years right?

• Advertisement

Oh ya im not doubting SF will do well and could well be the biggest party but why would the 'vast majority' support them when they largely backed the govt for their handling of the crisis? And even so their support is only up 5 or 6 points, its significant but hardly earth shattering
    '

So, the uk have shown a safe way to reopen outdoors, we should probably follow that.

Agreed, like from May 24th, no need to drag the arse out of it.

The rule was fairly easy to understand, if pubs wanted to open they had to operate as Restaraunts, I didn't agree with it, but I understood it.

Yes we all understood the pay €9 for a bit of pizza and drink your head off in the pub bit.

But the government have never explained why it was introduced for pubs at all.

To add insult to injury they doubled down on it at Christmas.

Agreed, like from May 24th, no need to drag the arse out of it.

Yes we all understood the pay €9 for a bit of pizza and drink your head off in the pub bit.

But the government have never explained why it was introduced for pubs at all.

To add insult to injury they doubled down on it at Christmas.

it has been explained ad nasuem on here for the past year ffs, what is it about ye lot and this issue in particular?

Well it depends how you quantify that i suppose. So therefore impossible to comment on really, stage that this 'vast majority' isnt evident in opinon polls and the anti govt vote is dominated by SF who have broadly supported the govt during this crisis. The 6/7& support of the far left parties actually wanted stricter lockdowns so who exactly are this great majority?

I've little time for the far left and their zero covid lunacy.

SF have hardly supported the government, they have called them out on countless things, only for the visus they wouldnt even be in government by this stage.

SF would have romped home with a majority had they fielded more candidates the last time, they wont make that mistake again.

I'm far from SF's biggest supporter, but after a century of almost constant FG/FF rule this country badly needs radical change, so im happy enoigh for SF to be given a chance,they really cannot do any worse.

You know the next election is not for 4 years right?

do you really think it will be that long, id bet as soon as this madness is over there will be an election, next year probably.

do you really think it will be that long, id bet as soon as this madness is over there will be an election, next year probably.

Called by who?

I've little time for the far left and their zero covid lunacy.

SF have hardly supported the government, they have called them out on countless things, only for the visus they wouldnt even be in government by this stage.

SF would have romped home with a majority had they fielded more candidates the last time, they wont make that mistake again.

I'm far from SF's biggest supporter, but after a century of almost constant FG/FF rule this country badly needs radical change, so im happy enoigh for SF to be given a chance,they really cannot do any worse.

But they have largely supported the govt on the handling of the pandemic, they certainly havent been raging their decisions like you have. I dont doubt there is significant anti govt anger out there but it doenst make much sense to me to see SF picking that support up/

it has been explained ad nasuem on here for the past year ffs, what is it about ye lot and this issue in particular?

I've, genuinely, never seen it explained, care to enlighten me?

I'd say Holohan isnt a happy man, he loves a good lockdown and probably advised level 5 until June,i think FFG in this instance have actually seen that the majority of people arent bothering with these restritions anymore as in staying in your own county, not meeting family or friends and having been in the airport to take a flight in the last few weeks it was much busier than what ive seen since before this started so people are flying again and this is all great to see, so they've seen all of this and the level of anger and had to react and loosen more restrictions than what NPHET suggested, id be anything this is what is the case.

• Advertisement

But they have largely supported the govt on the handling of the pandemic, they certainly havent been raging their decisions like you have. I dont doubt there is significant anti govt anger out there but it doenst make much sense to me to see SF picking that support up/

i agree in some instances they have which some people werent particulary happy about, but in most cases they have called them out and highlighted many issues where they have in effect completely fcuked it up.

Called by who?

let me get my crystal ball and see if i can find out.

next weeks lottery numbers while im at it.

i agree in some instances they have which some people werent particulary happy about, but in most cases they have called them out and highlighted many issues where they have in effect completely fcuked it up.

Minor quibbles about details, by and large they have backed the govt on the big issues. What have the actually proposed that differed substantially from the Govt?

I'd say Holohan isnt a happy man, he loves a good lockdown and probably advised level 5 until June,i think FFG in this instance have actually seen that the majority of people arent bothering with these restritions anymore as in staying in your own county, not meeting family or friends and having been in the airport to take a flight in the last few weeks it was much busier than what ive seen since before this started so people are flying again and this is all great to see, so they've seen all of this and the level of anger and had to react and loosen more restrictions than what NPHET suggested, id be anything this is what is the case.

So you are saying the Govt are not following NPHETS advice in this instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

People apparently won't vote for ffg because of lockdown, but will vote for sf who *checks notes* wanted a harsher lockdown.

FWIW...The people voted FF back in after everything that happened.

SF probably will be voted in next time around but, won't be long until FF or whoever are back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Apologies if this has been asked already but do we know yet when we can actually go in to a pub for a few pints, rather than having to sit outside?
    My local only has a footpath and car spaces at its front door, so I'm assuming they can't open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Apologies if this has been asked already but do we know yet when we can actually go in to a pub for a few pints, rather than having to sit outside?
    My local only has a footpath and car spaces at its front door, so I'm assuming they can't open

Nah not yet unfortunately.

July is what we have so far, the leaks said the 5th but MM refused to give dates for July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No we don’t.

And this is the key question. The answer to be blunt is no. In the rush for people to fall over themselves praising MM, the government have completely sidestepped this issue. There are some nebulous rumours about July, this will inevitably get pushed back to August and beyond. I know three publicans in my home town who cannot reopen for months because they don't have outdoor beer gardens, two of them are on the verge of going under with rates putting them in considerable debt. Some mickey mouse stipend from the government isn't going to patch up that financial hole, they have been abandoned by our esteemed leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Unless something GUBU happens, there won't be a GE until the Dáil runs its' course.

FF TDs would be seriously worried about losing their seats and Leaky will be taking over from Mehole halfway through the term so FG have no incentive to collapse the Dáil. Greens will see it out to get whatever they can of their policies passed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement