Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

And this is the key question. The answer to be blunt is no. In the rush for people to fall over themselves praising MM, the government have completely sidestepped this issue. There are some nebulous rumours about July, this will inevitably get pushed back to August and beyond. I know three publicans in my home town who cannot reopen for months because they don't have outdoor beer gardens, two of them are on the verge of going under with rates putting them in considerable debt. Some mickey mouse stipend from the government isn't going to patch up that financial hole, they have been abandoned by our esteemed leaders.

To be fair to the Government they can't save everyone's business. Many were going anyway and the need for the 'beer garden' and other facilities in pubs has been clear for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

And this is the key question. The answer to be blunt is no. In the rush for people to fall over themselves praising MM, the government have completely sidestepped this issue. There are some nebulous rumours about July, this will inevitably get pushed back to August and beyond. I know three publicans in my home town who cannot reopen for months because they don't have outdoor beer gardens, two of them are on the verge of going under with rates putting them in considerable debt. Some mickey mouse stipend from the government isn't going to patch up that financial hole, they have been abandoned by our esteemed leaders.

To be fair rates have been deferred since the start.

Probably be deferred again for the summer because a lot of places will only have partial trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Places should be allowed create space but not sure how it will work. Pedestrianised streets for weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

City councils could really help out here, ban deliveries between 12-8 and let cafes and resteraunts use the loading zones for tables and chairs, same with parking spaces. In Dublin Capel, Merrion and south William St should all be pedestrianised.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Places should be allowed create space but not sure how it will work. Pedestrianised streets for weekends

Good idea.

saabsaab wrote: »
    To be fair to the Government they can't save everyone's business. Many were going anyway and the need for the 'beer garden' and other facilities in pubs has been clear for some time.

How fortunate we are you're not in charge. You can afford to be so blase about it, because they most certainly don't have that luxury.

A cheeky mid week hotel stay is the best bet as i think weekends will be insane as will the prices

How fortunate we are you're not in charge. You can afford to be so blase about it, because they most certainly don't have that luxury.

Just stating the facts, this has been happening for a long time now as people's tastes change and many pubs don't. Adapt or die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whats the exacts tory with their rates? I thought they have been mostly deferred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Agreed and talking about this recently re two local pubs (my 2 locals as it turns out) who have no outdoor space worth talking about but both large gardens behind their premises but are separated by a public road so it seems for licensing and insurance reasons they cannot use these.

Now when i say road, i mean a back lane behind the street, with little or no traffic. I had always though some sort of special temporary license might have been brought in to allow these pubs to use these spaces for beer gardens but seemingly not.

• Advertisement

No reason why Toilet facilities cant open in places, just need barriers up blocking seats/tables

Going by a quick gander on FB/Twitter a lot of independent restaurants are not happy about the Hotel decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

hynesie08 wrote: »
    City councils could really help out here, ban deliveries between 12-8 and let cafes and resteraunts use the loading zones for tables and chairs, same with parking spaces. In Dublin Capel, Merrion and south William St should all be pedestrianised.

That will definetely happen easily so it will....:rolleyes:

]The plan to pedestrianise Merrion Row in Dublin City Centre this summer is “hare-brained” and “not going to happen,” according to councillor Mannix Flynn.

The Sunday Times reports that the council has agreed to pedestrianise Merrion Row, Mary Street and part of Capel Street in a bid to entice people back into town as restrictions are eased

“We have hundreds of requests from people in Dublin to close off streets and do all sorts of hare-brained ideas but it is not going to happen, I can guarantee you that because it is a main artery,” he said.

No reason why Toilet facilities cant open in places, just need barriers up blocking seats/tables

PortaPotties squashed in outside on the footpath beside enough tables and chairs for a business to make enough money to pay the bills....

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That will definetely happen easily so it will....:rolleyes:

If mannix flynn is against it, its almost certainly the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭PommieBast

To be fair rates have been deferred since the start.

Probably be deferred again for the summer because a lot of places will only have partial trade.
    Deferral is not enough. Many businesses are now at the stage where debts are so high that any repayment plan acceptable to creditors would be too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What's the criteria regarding marquees?

The pub with the most renowned beer garden in Gorey has had a marquee installed in its car-park for almost a year now. Good size to it, and with retractable yawnings in the main beer garden section, definitely scope to fit a good chunk of people in on a wet day alone.

Another two places have outdoor smoking areas with picnic benches and decking, again with overhead cover. And a smaller pub (closest one to me) has a yard that they have never really utilised fully as an outdoor drinking option.

Have already booked a day or two off work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I thought I saw a tweet from gavan Reilly about Catherine Martin saying there’d be no limit on pubs but was outdoors or indoors ? I assume outdoors but I can’t find the tweet now. Any clarification on that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I thought I saw a tweet from gavan Reilly about Catherine Martin saying there’d be no limit on pubs but was outdoors or indoors ? I assume outdoors but I can’t find the tweet now. Any clarification on that ?

No idea on upper limits buts it 6 max to a group. Table Service only.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387831934034796546?s=20

• Advertisement

No idea on upper limits buts it 6 max to a group. Table Service only.

Yeah but that’s outdoors isn’t it ? I mean yes the places can open but **** it not every place has that luxury.

Yeah but that’s outdoors isn’t it ? I mean yes the places can open but **** it not every place has that luxury.

Less than 30% of Pubs can offer outdoors drinking, 20% of restaurants outdoors also... still leaves a lot of businesses that will remain closed up for at least the next 8 weeks....

Will also mean the #Staycationers may find themselves with very few places to drink and dine as any premises that are open will be booked out... So will be cans from the local spar and back to your B&B...

Less than 30% of Pubs can offer outdoors drinking, 20% of restaurants outdoors also... still leaves a lot of businesses that will remain closed up for at least the next 8 weeks....

Will also mean the #Staycationers may find themselves with very few places to drink and dine as any premises that are open will be booked out... So will be cans from the local spar and back to your B&B...

Would the bar in the hotel will be succinct ?

That’s my point. Yes pub can open but logistically you’d want to have the outdoor space to open and being that I live on the north side of cork city, most pubs are on main roads or in built up areas where space isn’t a luxury.

Would the bar in the hotel will be succinct ?

Depends on the town I guess, not all hotels will have a licenced Bar so you'd have to go out anyways... And sure most Hotel bars aren't places I'd like to go to every day of my holiday...

That’s my point. Yes pub can open but logistically you’d want to have the outdoor space to open and being that I live on the north side of cork city, most pubs are on main roads or in built up areas where space isn’t a luxury.

Yea was a Pub Landlord from Cork on the "Tonight Show" who was saying they can't open the Pub with a few chairs out on the small footpath...

• Advertisement

Yea was a Pub Landlord from Cork on the "Tonight Show" who was saying they can't open the Pub with a few chairs out on the small footpath...

I wonder did these sort of establishments enter the midjs of the decision makers or simply ignored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

141064081_855231055025519_5158332158540152313_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=zgT73F4Ay0oAX_KHpTt&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a5490a96ec17c55098ade258b16bb74f&oe=60B2251E

141064081_855231055025519_5158332158540152313_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=zgT73F4Ay0oAX_KHpTt&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a5490a96ec17c55098ade258b16bb74f&oe=60B2251E

Good one, snow in Ireland during the summer wouldn't be completely impossible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Very few pubs would have beer gardens that are viable for the obvious reason that we live in a kip of a country in terms of weather.

Its like owning convertible car in Ireland. You'll get a handful of great days to fully exploit it.

Very few pubs would have beer gardens that are viable for the obvious reason that we live in a kip of a country in terms of weather.

Its like owning convertible car in Ireland. You'll get a handful of great days to fully exploit it.

Yeah and then trying to get in somewhere

Opening times tbc and I can't see them going back to normal just yet. Last orders 10.30-11pm most likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Can't see the indoor 'wet' pub opening til after the summer if I'm honest. The theme is going to be outdoors for a long while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

This summer will mostly be spent in N.Ireland , pubs and shops up the North will be absolutely booming this summer with the influx of people from down here going up to enjoy life instead of waiting and wishing your life away here ,already got 3 trips planned in the next 6/7 weeks.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Can't see the indoor 'wet' pub opening til after the summer if I'm honest. The theme is going to be outdoors for a long while.

Everyone will head up North, the the thoughts of scrambling to book beer gardens only for it to rain doesnt appeal!!
    and please stop calling pubs "wet pubs" worst name ever after "staycation"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Cant see pubs opening at all till its too late any spike in cases there will be panic, as said I'm not spending 900 euro for a few days in Kerry or whatever to gamble on weather.

I'll spend it up north and enjoy outdoor drinks if its sunny but will also like the option of indoor if the weather is bad.

Everyone will head up North, the the thoughts of scrambling to book beer gardens only for it to rain doesnt appeal!!
    and please stop calling pubs "wet pubs" worst name ever after "staycation"

Sure about that? 200 quid room/train before you get a sniff of an indoor pint? Not for me or the majority of people I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Sure about that? 200 quid room/train before you get a sniff of an indoor pint? Not for me or the majority of people I know.

Ah i'll go for an outdoor pint or meal if i'm heading away for 1 night or into the nearest town but I wouldn't be looking to staycation down south.
    I'm exactly the type they were trying to entice to spend local I've saved a fortune WFH for 13 months now.

I'm not going to spend it on a staycation here and gamble on weather i'd rather spend it and have a choice up north.

If I was heading into Dublin to do some shopping I'll eat outdoors but to be honest it was extremely difficult last year to do this with limited space.

But your right i wouldn't head north just for a pint inside I'd rather just stay home with a few bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Depends what way you look at it.

I myself am heading up North in June. Not for indoor pints, but to get away as I haven't been out of here in over two years. Indoor pints are just a bonus (I'd be drinking anyways regardless)
    Plenty of people in that mindset too.
    There is also a minority who will just purely go for a piss up

Again, depends on one's perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

mightyreds wrote: »
    Cant see pubs opening at all till its too late any spike in cases there will be panic, as said I'm not spending 900 euro for a few days in Kerry or whatever to gamble on weather.

I'll spend it up north and enjoy outdoor drinks if its sunny but will also like the option of indoor if the weather is bad.
    Likewise...Booked a trip around the East cost of the North for a week in late July..Have friends living around the province so will defo call up for another few visits

Can do it a hell of a lot cheaper than that to be fair!

MOR316 wrote: »
    Depends what way you look at it.

I myself am heading up North in June. Not for indoor pints, but to get away as I haven't been out of here in over two years. Indoor pints are just a bonus (I'd be drinking anyways regardless)
    Plenty of people in that mindset too.
    There is also a minority who will just purely go for a piss up

Again, depends on one's perspective

Completely agree, if gigs or live theatre kick off up there, I'll be the first in the queue for the enterprise, but tbh the idea of a planned drinking weekend really does nothing for me anymore.

• Advertisement

Can do it a hell of a lot cheaper than that to be fair!

I like me comfort.

I look forward to a few pints in a local with a few vaccinated others soon. Outside is grand and a bit of rain won't bother me.

Outdoor Pubs reopening on a bank holiday Monday is a little odd and i do wonder did they forget that particular Monday was a bank holiday ??

Roll on June, May is going to be a long month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Outdoor Pubs reopening on a bank holiday Monday is a little odd and i do wonder did they forget that particular Monday was a bank holiday ??

Expect it to be pushed to the 8th!!

Expect it to be pushed to the 8th!!

If it is jesus its some comedy show were been run by

'Lads sorry but we made an error and places can reopen outdoors from the 8th June, our bad'

If it is jesus its some comedy show were been run by

'Lads sorry but we made an error and places can reopen outdoors from the 8th June, our bad'

It's probably going to be pushed out to the 12 July.

People still have work the next day.

I like me comfort.

Fair enough! We are staying in a mix of hotels, pods and if we can't find accomodation on Rathlin we're bringing the tent this summer:D

saabsaab wrote: »
    It's probably going to be pushed out to the 12 July.

I don't think there's any doubt at all that Holohan is already desperately trying to sow the seeds of postponing pub opening out. Any spike in cases and he'll be ready with the concernometer clicking up to 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Depends on the town I guess, not all hotels will have a licenced Bar so you'd have to go out anyways... And sure most Hotel bars aren't places I'd like to go to every day of my holiday...

Imagine booking a hotel that doesn't have a bar? Not me anyway.

Advertisement