Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Everyone will head up North, the the thoughts of scrambling to book beer gardens only for it to rain doesnt appeal!!
    and please stop calling pubs "wet pubs" worst name ever after "staycation"

Everyone? Nonsense Dessie. It's a 4 hour drive one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

b0nk1e wrote: »
    I don't think there's any doubt at all that Holohan is already desperately trying to sow the seeds of postponing pub opening out. Any spike in cases and he'll be ready with the concernometer clicking up to 11.

Seen an article this morning that they are already concerned about the reopening outdoors, couldn't believe it a full day after the announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

mightyreds wrote: »
    Seen an article this morning that they are already concerned about the reopening outdoors, couldn't believe it a full day after the announcement.
    And just to counteract that we have this
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40279070.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

And just to counteract that we have this
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40279070.html

Hoping it's looking more in terms or heading the direction of this. Seems the article i read had a bit of spin on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Just back from a boozy weekend up North, great craic, depressing coming back here, brutal weather and nowhere open, like getting out of jail on temporary release for a few days, good few different accents from down South heard the weekeend, you have to queue for pubs, certainly no pub hopping unless your willing to always queue, pick a pub early doors, queue up and stay there, 90% seem to be doing walk ins,everything went very smoothly,almost like a carnival atmosphere.

Bit of shopping done as well,all shops open, i avoided Primark it was 95% women queuing up there ,you could hear the Dublin hunzos in the queue:D it was a great weekend , a sense of normality and the locals i spoke to even said they cant understand why they are so over zealous down here and pubs open indoors up there in 3 weeks and we still wont be able to drink outdoors until 2 weeks later,embarrassing.

Will be going up again in a few weeks, not staying here wishing your life away.

• Advertisement

finbarrk wrote: »
    Everyone? Nonsense Dessie. It's a 4 hour drive one way.

it's an hour 10 minutes to Newry, 2 hours 15 minutes to Belfast.

i was up North the weekend and i heard loads of Dublin and country accents up there, and this was only the first weekend too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

it's an hour 10 minutes to Newry, 2 hours 15 minutes to Belfast.

i was up North the weekend and i heard loads of Dublin and country accents up there, and this was only the first weekend too.

For you, I'd love to meet the lad who could do it from galway in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

great stuff im going to head up once indoor drinking starts up there. maybe belfast.

hynesie08 wrote: »

well it's better than sitting around wishing your life away, we're an absolute laughing stock compared to the UK.

well it's better than sitting around wishing your life away, we're an absolute laughing stock compared to the UK.

Not wanting to spend hours in a car to queue to sit outside a pub is wishing your life away? Nah.

And we're not, you're like colm meany in the snapper, imagining everyone's laughing at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

There seems to be a fair bit of focus on working towards at least inter-EU travel. Would much rather have a holiday (and a beer!) in Amsterdam or Stockholm than Newry.

They could get to Fermanagh in an hour an a half.

Not wanting to spend hours in a car to queue to sit outside a pub is wishing your life away? Nah.

And we're not, you're like colm meany in the snapper, imagining everyone's laughing at you.

Jesus your insufferable, every time i come on this forum your on here, you of all people need to get out more it seems, spending so much time on here isnt good for you mate.:D

Who said anything about driving either, coaches and trains running

By all means you stay at home all you want wishing your life away, some of us wanrt to get on with life, and that's exactly what we were doing the weekend.

There seems to be a fair bit of focus on working towards at least inter-EU travel. Would much rather have a holiday (and a beer!) in Amsterdam or Stockholm than Newry.

Absolutely but the North will do for now, at least you can go to the pubs and shops unlike here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

To the likes of you maybe, i doubt too many people outside Ireland know or gives two ****s tbh

To the likes of you maybe, i doubt too many people outside Ireland know or gives two ****s tbh

well put it this way even the locals up North at the weekend said it,i have friends in England as well who said they find it bizzare what is happening here with everything still closed , so it's not just "the likes of me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

finbarrk wrote: »
    Imagine booking a hotel that doesn't have a bar? Not me anyway.

It wouldn't really bother me. I don't usually stay in hotels for leisure reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

well put it this way even the locals up North at the weekend said it,i have friends in England as well who said they find it bizzare what is happening here with everything still closed , so it's not just "the likes of me"

They are further along in their vaccination program. It's not that bizzare.

KaneToad wrote: »
    They are further along in their vaccination program. It's not that bizzare.

It is bizzare in the extreme, the vaccination thing alone is embarrassing, instead of going directly to the pharma companies directly relying on the EU

All lockdowns do is cause misery and put people on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

It is bizzare in the extreme, the vaccination thing alone is embarrassing, instead of going directly to the pharma companies directly relying on the EU

Well said my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

If it was a free-for-all I suspect Ireland would get squeezed out along with all the other smaller countries.

The real embaressment is how the state basically shut down, not even doing things it could have done. I don't think there's a single piece of Covid planning they have actually stuck to.

• Advertisement

Did they find it bizarre a week ago when northern ireland was still closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭snotboogie

PommieBast wrote: »
    If it was a free-for-all I suspect Ireland would get squeezed out along with all the other smaller countries.

The real embaressment is how the state basically shut down, not even doing things it could have done. I don't think there's a single piece of Covid planning they have actually stuck to.

Smaller countries are not getting squeezed out. This is an absolutely untrue message. Singapore, Qatar, Iceland, UAE, Uruguay, Chile, Bahrain are all way ahead of any country relying on the EU supply. Qatar are only using Pfizer and have given nearly double the number of vaccines given out than we have. Singapore are only using Pfizer and Moderna and are way ahead ahead us. Small, relatively rich countries, out on their own have done the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jt69er

At least 2 1/2 hrs from Galway City to Derrylyn or Belco.

Plus, you’d end up in Fermanagh.

Lovely asda though.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jt69er

Exactly my point, would'nt fancy spending a weekend in either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So why didnt they open up weeks ago when they had similar numbers to us vaccinated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder have many lost the interest/ability to go out on a rip in the pubs when they open again. Might be a warning but I had a dream that I met Richard Harris in a pub but he wouldn't stay for another pint as he was giving it up for good as it just wasn't the same anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,115 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

saabsaab wrote: »
    I wonder have many lost the interest/ability to go out on a rip in the pubs when they open again. Might be a warning but I had a dream that I met Richard Harris in a pub but he wouldn't stay for another pint as he was giving it up for good as it just wasn't the same anymore.

Be some sesh if the ghosts of Alec Higgins, George Best and Phil Lynott joined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Just back from a boozy weekend up North, great craic, depressing coming back here, brutal weather and nowhere open, like getting out of jail on temporary release for a few days, good few different accents from down South heard the weekeend, you have to queue for pubs, certainly no pub hopping unless your willing to always queue, pick a pub early doors, queue up and stay there, 90% seem to be doing walk ins,everything went very smoothly,almost like a carnival atmosphere.

Bit of shopping done as well,all shops open, i avoided Primark it was 95% women queuing up there ,you could hear the Dublin hunzos in the queue:D it was a great weekend , a sense of normality and the locals i spoke to even said they cant understand why they are so over zealous down here and pubs open indoors up there in 3 weeks and we still wont be able to drink outdoors until 2 weeks later,embarrassing.

Will be going up again in a few weeks, not staying here wishing your life away.

Where did you stay up there?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Be some sesh if the ghosts of Alec Higgins, George Best and Phil Lynott joined

They didn't show but Ollie Reed was up for a jar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

snotboogie wrote: »
    Smaller countries are not getting squeezed out. This is an absolutely untrue message. Singapore, Qatar, Iceland, UAE, Uruguay, Chile, Bahrain are all way ahead of any country relying on the EU supply. Qatar are only using Pfizer and have given nearly double the number of vaccines given out than we have. Singapore are only using Pfizer and Moderna and are way ahead ahead us. Small, relatively rich countries, out on their own have done the best.
    Good luck outbidding that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

saabsaab wrote: »

Judging by the scenes in England (albeit outdoor), I'd say that's a firm no.

Where did you stay up there?

An Air BnB.

5 weeks to go, going to be some June Bank Holiday Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭brickster69

Deaths up 400% on yesterday in the UK. Boris shut the fu##ing pubs man

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1389596942506856451

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Deaths up 400% on yesterday in the UK. Boris shut the fu##ing pubs man

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1389596942506856451

1,946 cases out of a polulation that size is miniscule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭brickster69

1,946 cases out of a polulation that size is miniscule.

Was a joke :pac::pac:

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Was a joke :pac::pac:

ah right ok :D:pac:

Those were the days, let's hope scenes like these return before the end of the year

• Advertisement

Those were the days, let's hope scenes like these return before the end of the year

no they wont, didnt you know the youth of today hate nightclubs and drinking they rather going to the gym and cafes in the evening sun, before going home to netflix and chill by 10pm. all the pubs and nightclubs will be shut this time next year.

thank god we wont have bother social distancing or queing to get into any few pubs that are left to open in 5 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

An Air BnB.

Good Gaelic name.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Those were the days alright. Can't say I see them returning by the end of the year, but hopefully sometime in 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Dickie10 wrote: »
    no they wont, didnt you know the youth of today hate nightclubs and drinking they rather going to the gym and cafes in the evening sun, before going home to netflix and chill by 10pm. all the pubs and nightclubs will be shut this time next year.

thank god we wont have bother social distancing or queing to get into any few pubs that are left to open in 5 weeks time.

I know you are being facetious, but there is alot of truth in what you are saying.

Anecdotally I think it is pretty evident that the pub landscape was changing pre covid and unfortunately 14 months and counting without a proper pub will not have helped this trade.

There is a whole cohort of guys and girls who have had their 18ths and their 21st's with no pubs and clubs. What they never had they won't miss!
    I am 42, by the time I was 17 I was a seasoned pub goer. I grew up in pubs in the 80's and I spent my 20's playing ball and doing the standard Saturday night/super Sunday session.
    There was no 'Prinks' in those days. We went to the pub at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon and stayed spending money in pubs and clubs until we were turfed out of the nightclub at 3am.
    That just doesn't happen these days. I am still involved in both a soccer club and a GAA club. Neither squads spend their Sundays after a game lashing back pints. It's just not the done thing anymore.

Young lads and girls are far more in tune with the outdoors, mental health, fitness and other types of activities to pass the day than drinking pints.

Make no mistake, I want pubs to return. Not gastro pubs, not beer gardens in the pissing rain, not pubs under restrictions just pre covid pubs.
    I do think however, that we need to acknowledge the post Covid landscape will have altered consumer demand in terms of hospitality and in particular pubs, especially amongst the generations coming behind us.

The absolute reality is the industry is changing and when todays 20 year olds are 42 they won't miss the pub as much as this 42 year old does.

W123-80's wrote: »
    I know you are being facetious, but there is alot of truth in what you are saying.

Anecdotally I think it is pretty evident that the pub landscape was changing pre covid and unfortunately 14 months and counting without a proper pub will not have helped this trade.

There is a whole cohort of guys and girls who have had their 18ths and their 21st's with no pubs and clubs. What they never had they won't miss!
    I am 42, by the time I was 17 I was a seasoned pub goer. I grew up in pubs in the 80's and I spent my 20's playing ball and doing the standard Saturday night/super Sunday session.
    There was no 'Prinks' in those days. We went to the pub at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon and stayed spending money in pubs and clubs until we were turfed out of the nightclub at 3am.
    That just doesn't happen these days. I am still involved in both a soccer club and a GAA club. Neither squads spend their Sundays after a game lashing back pints. It's just not the done thing anymore.

Young lads and girls are far more in tune with the outdoors, mental health, fitness and other types of activities to pass the day than drinking pints.

Make no mistake, I want pubs to return. Not gastro pubs, not beer gardens in the pissing rain, not pubs under restrictions just pre covid pubs.
    I do think however, that we need to acknowledge the post Covid landscape will have altered consumer demand in terms of hospitality and in particular pubs, especially amongst the generations coming behind us.

The absolute reality is the industry is changing and when todays 20 year olds are 42 they won't miss the pub as much as this 42 year old does.

i think you are right, although we could see a boom for a year or two in pubs and nightclubs but driven by 28-40 year olds. just looking back on old newspapers online, the amount of nightclubs and pubs with music every weekend friday,saturday and sunday was unreal in 80s,90s and up to 2005. the bust in 2007 changed a lot, we lost hundreds of thousands of people18-25 from our regional towns and villages thats a huge amount. the cheap supermarket drink and drink driving didnt help, also work in ireland is strict now about missing mondays or coming in half cut to work from a nightclub the night before. people didnt seem to mind missing a monday in 80s and 90s and going to pub for the afternoon. all change now. i blame these crazy motgages people have now its killing our economy, people not spending money and instead its all sucked into a black hole to a Dutch bank , its not recycled around the pub, shop local tradesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

i think you are right, although we could see a boom for a year or two in pubs and nightclubs but driven by 28-40 year olds. just looking back on old newspapers online, the amount of nightclubs and pubs with music every weekend friday,saturday and sunday was unreal in 80s,90s and up to 2005. the bust in 2007 changed a lot, we lost hundreds of thousands of people18-25 from our regional towns and villages thats a huge amount. the cheap supermarket drink and drink driving didnt help, also work in ireland is strict now about missing mondays or coming in half cut to work from a nightclub the night before. people didnt seem to mind missing a monday in 80s and 90s and going to pub for the afternoon. all change now. i blame these crazy motgages people have now its killing our economy, people not spending money and instead its all sucked into a black hole to a Dutch bank , its not recycled around the pub, shop local tradesman.

Agreed, there are alot of mitigating factors over the last 20 years that have resulted in changes to our drinking habits, thankfully the sea change in our attitude to drink driving is a very positive one.

Reading your post, we have definitely matured as a nation over the last 20 years. Like you say back in the 80/90's it was socially acceptable to miss a Monday due to a hangover. :pac: Obviously it still happens today, but not at the scale of 20/30 years ago.

I remember my first job picking glasses in a pub back in 1994. Saturday night was the huge night, at 8.55pm there might be 5 people in the bar. In the following 35 mins up to 9.30pm the place would fill to the rafters and stay full until 1am.
    No one really went out early for evening meal and drinks or even just a few early drinks. It was full duck but never before 9pm!
    The amount of pints drank between 9pm and 1am used to take my breadth away, it was insane! but that is the way it was. Most people got into their cars and drove home afterwards :o:eek:
    I have a gra for that era of sweaty pubs, more of a rose tinted glasses perspective:p
    I can fully understand why the next generation would look at me funny when I explain it to them!

W123-80's wrote: »
    Agreed, there are alot of mitigating factors over the last 20 years that have resulted in changes to our drinking habits, thankfully the sea change in our attitude to drink driving is a very positive one.

Reading your post, we have definitely matured as a nation over the last 20 years. Like you say back in the 80/90's it was socially acceptable to miss a Monday due to a hangover. :pac: Obviously it still happens today, but not at the scale of 20/30 years ago.

I remember my first job picking glasses in a pub back in 1994. Saturday night was the huge night, at 8.55pm there might be 5 people in the bar. In the following 35 mins up to 9.30pm the place would fill to the rafters and stay full until 1am.
    No one really went out early for evening meal and drinks or even just a few early drinks. It was full duck but never before 9pm!
    The amount of pints drank between 9pm and 1am used to take my breadth away, it was insane! but that is the way it was. Most people got into their cars and drove home afterwards :o:eek:
    I have a gra for that era of sweaty pubs, more of a rose tinted glasses perspective:p
    I can fully understand why the next generation would look at me funny when I explain it to them!

I remember that too. Some pubs on a big night there wouldn't have standing room as for getting to the bar it was like a scrum.

there was somethiing lovely about it though. i started going out in 2001 the summer i did my Leaving Cert, i never drank underage just waited til i was offically 18 and drank in peace. i would have been very cautious and still am about drinking much or to excess, over the years i would have built up the amount of pints i could drink so now at 37 i would have about 8-9 on a night with maybe a short late on. Before covid i would only miss maybe 3-4 weekends out of 52 without having pints in that region so to go from october 3rd til now without a drop is a fair stint for me. I didnt touch a drop over xmas even. i went from march 7th to August 1st last year without any drink so quite proud of how i just switched off the tap! i woud have literally had pints all 52 saturday nights in most years. Absolutley love the buzz to be honest. I never took it for granted before but most definitley wont now. I always think when heading off around 9pm for a few pints on a saturday night , that this is absoute heaven, i cant help but shudder a little when i would think of some poor bugger in at work at that time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

there was somethiing lovely about it though. i started going out in 2001 the summer i did my Leaving Cert, i never drank underage just waited til i was offically 18 and drank in peace. i would have been very cautious and still am about drinking much or to excess, over the years i would have built up the amount of pints i could drink so now at 37 i would have about 8-9 on a night with maybe a short late on. Before covid i would only miss maybe 3-4 weekends out of 52 without having pints in that region so to go from october 3rd til now without a drop is a fair stint for me. I didnt touch a drop over xmas even. i went from march 7th to August 1st last year without any drink so quite proud of how i just switched off the tap! i woud have literally had pints all 52 saturday nights in most years. Absolutley love the buzz to be honest. I never took it for granted before but most definitley wont now. I always think when heading off around 9pm for a few pints on a saturday night , that this is absoute heaven, i cant help but shudder a little when i would think of some poor bugger in at work at that time!

Your view on Saturday night pints is so different to mine. I like a few Friday night pints or Saturday 5 to 8, or Sunday afternoon/early evening. Don’t like Saturday night. Just seems forced and everyone making too much of an effort or something.

Your view on Saturday night pints is so different to mine. I like a few Friday night pints or Saturday 5 to 8, or Sunday afternoon/early evening. Don’t like Saturday night. Just seems forced and everyone making too much of an effort or something.

Yea, Saturday Night was better if you were younger, as time goes other nights are better. Over time your capacity goes up once 3 or 4 would do but as you get used to it that is just the start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement