Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Your view on Saturday night pints is so different to mine. I like a few Friday night pints or Saturday 5 to 8, or Sunday afternoon/early evening. Don’t like Saturday night. Just seems forced and everyone making too much of an effort or something.[/QUOT

Really? thats strange i would have a fairly disciplined work life and work hard all week so maybe thats why i love the buzz of saturday nights, i kind of love the hedonism of it all really. its just a lovely escape , i wouldnt be binge britain booze nation stuff now but just love the bit spontaniety of it all. i love the crowds and hustle and bustle i kind of love the galway races type madness of it all, last days of soddom and gemorrah type stuff is great fun at times! i think we will soon see those days again judging by leo i think he must miss it too. i like quiet old man pubs at times too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

How do you solve a problem like Outdoor "wild" drinking...?

Let the Pubs open for Outdoor service now!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0507/1217624-pubs-call-for-earlier-reopening-of-outdoor-hospitality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tenzor07 wrote: »

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0507/1217624-pubs-call-for-earlier-reopening-of-outdoor-hospitality

They will try and force stupid rules but what they could implement i don't know ?

Table service and table drinking is imminent and is understandable

New Rules
    3 drink per person limit (you get coloured tokens)
    The great '90 Mins time limit'

The cowards wont open Indoor because they want to see the Science of outdoor dining which has been proven to be effective but the virus in Ireland is so dangerous we have to wait another month for 'Outdoor only' to reopen

There are a few pubs in my town doing takeout, who can knock enterprising business owners trying to make living.The punter collecting his tall pour can't drink on premises and is moved on down the line. Where to go then, with the social stigma attached to public drinking: "Look at that lad supping away on the park bench". By allowing enough wiggle room for a licenced premises to serve alcohol, government creating a ridiculous catch-22: You can have your tall pour but expect busybodies to stick their snout in and report you. Here's one, either close pubs entirely or open them entirely. None of this tentative pussyfooting about, and then whinging about a problem of their own making. It's time for mature leadership, put faith in struggling publicans to regulate their own environments and take boozing off the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They will try and force stupid rules but what they could implement i don't know ?

New Rules

The cowards wont open Indoor because they want to see the Science of outdoor dining which has been proven to be effective but the virus in Ireland is so dangerous we have to wait another month for 'Outdoor only' to reopen

"makes up scenario and gets mad at government for made up scenario"

The new stuff is great but sometimes you just wanna hear the hits...

Very good points, You almost feel ashamed to be drinking a pint/cans (why pay for a takeaway pint while you could get 4 cans for the same price etc) outside but that's the governments doing in a way by closing access to places

Then the issue of trying to find somewhere for a slash

Did any other country have the option of 'takeaway pints' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

New Rules

Ah jesus will you stop and cop yourself on. You and others seem to love thinking up mad theories to put yereselves into a frenzy.

They are opening up in a month. I'd rather it was indoors like yourself but that will soon follow. I'd hate for there to be a time limit but there certainly wont be any drink limit.

Just stop with the hyperbole. It doesn't do anyone (including yourself) any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Time limit not too bad. Could sink 5 or 6 in that 90.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Time limit not too bad. Could sink 5 or 6 in that 90.

Suppose its better than rushing a meal and then vomiting it up a few mins later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Be interesting to see how the interruption to Ireland's drinking culture will play itself out when things reopen. Hard not to think that things have changed.

How many pubs will survive?

How many nightclubs closed for good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Be interesting to see how the interruption to Ireland's drinking culture will play itself out when things reopen. Hard not to think that things have changed. How many pubs will survive? How many nightclubs closed for good?

I'm sure they'll all re-open, in Dublin at least and other major towns... after all, it's a massive reason why all the tourists come here..

We may see bigger companies such as Wetherspoons take over a lot of licences..

May take a while and they may have lost some drinkers, but it will get there...

People will flock back when they reopen outdoors and indoors

Personal responsibility at the end of the day, if you want to listen to the 'experts' about how unsafe drinking is and/or you don't feel comfortable going then don't go

People will flock back when they reopen outdoors and indoors

Personal responsibility at the end of the day, if you want to listen to the 'experts' about how unsafe drinking is and/or you don't feel comfortable going then don't go

I know a few people who have taken the opportunity to ween themselves off alcohol completely and they would have been the usual Friday and Saturday night drinkers. Whether enough of that cohort go back will make or break the pubs in my opinion. I don't see many of them going back.

It's a question of how big that cohort is. Plenty will go back other than that but I don't think it will be enough for some pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I know a few people who have taken the opportunity to ween themselves off alcohol completely and they would have been the usual Friday and Saturday night drinkers. Whether enough of that cohort go back will make or break the pubs in my opinion. I don't see many of them going back.

It's a question of how big that cohort is. Plenty will go back other than that but I don't think it will be enough for some pubs.

I agree, i was a minimum 3/4 visit a week man pre Covid, have drastically reduced the amount i drink and and am far better off, physically and financially. I do miss the pub and cant wait to go back, i miss the craic but i cant see myself spending as much time in them as before and many ive talked to say the same.

Now who knows, in a years time we may have well slipped back into our regular ways but im not so sure. Pubs are definitely going to take a hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I stopped drinking while I was over in the UK and know quite a few others who also went completely dry, but it is also clear that a lot of people have gone in the other direction. Stats from the UK are of alcohol-related deaths being the highest since records began, and I doubt Ireland is any different.

• Advertisement

My dad who of been a weekend drinker has not drank since the pub closures last October, Home drinking is not for some people

I like home drinking as id be used to it from the time i was a student and its nice for a few pre/post pub drinks

I agree, i was a minimum 3/4 visit a week man pre Covid, have drastically reduced the amount i drink and and am far better off, physically and financially. I do miss the pub and cant wait to go back, i miss the craic but i cant see myself spending as much time in them as before and many ive talked to say the same.

Now who knows, in a years time we may have well slipped back into our regular ways but im not so sure. Pubs are definitely going to take a hit.

Yep. Doesn't go un-noticed. They feel healthier, they have more money and they don't seem pushed about it.

If not for Covid they wouldn't have cut down or stopped.

That person your describing is me. Like i said before I would have been at least 1 night a week man saturday night a big win from 9pm til 2-30 kicking out from a club. Every 6 weeks i woud do a sunday evening as well if i was off monday or during summer i would do every second sunday evening. i havent touched a drop of drink since october 3rd. before this i would have been pacing the floor all evening if i had to stay in on a saturday night for whatever reason. sometimes when lambing in februrary i would be off drink for 2-3 weeks and it would be like i had been in a forign country when i would land into the local. so now after covid it defintley wont bother me to off drink for a few weeks when work is busy. but i cant wait for that sunday in late july/august when i walk into local at 4pm and have a few liesurely pints before hitting a pub for live music around 8pm and finshing in a club and all with no work planned the next day! heaven

Dickie10 wrote: »
    That person your describing is me. Like i said before I would have been at least 1 night a week man saturday night a big win from 9pm til 2-30 kicking out from a club. Every 6 weeks i woud do a sunday evening as well if i was off monday or during summer i would do every second sunday evening. i havent touched a drop of drink since october 3rd. before this i would have been pacing the floor all evening if i had to stay in on a saturday night for whatever reason. sometimes when lambing in februrary i would be off drink for 2-3 weeks and it would be like i had been in a forign country when i would land into the local. so now after covid it defintley wont bother me to off drink for a few weeks when work is busy. but i cant wait for that sunday in late july/august when i walk into local at 4pm and have a few liesurely pints before hitting a pub for live music around 8pm and finshing in a club and all with no work planned the next day! heaven

Wait til Nov/Dec 2021 if (big IF) places are open as normal/new normal

Last days of Rome would have nothing on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i'd be down the pub 3-5 nights a week having a few pints no problem when they were open, but i've barely drank since last march. haven't had a single beer at home, it's just not for me.

saying that i dont feel any noticeable healthier for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Suppose its better than rushing a meal and then vomiting it up a few mins later

How can you be so bad at eating :pac:

It does explain your fear of food at least if you auto puke straight after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'm sure they'll all re-open, in Dublin at least and other major towns... after all, it's a massive reason why all the tourists come here..

We may see bigger companies such as Wetherspoons take over a lot of licences..

May take a while and they may have lost some drinkers, but it will get there...

Wetherspoons has never taken over pubs as part of its business model. It will have no interest in small pubs in Dublin, or elsewhere. Their whole strategy hinges on identifying large property acquisitions for conversion to pub use (often with a hotel).

Cuckoo funds, on the other hand, will be more than happy to convert defunct pubs into apartment blocks.

Yes some country and small town pubs were on a tight margin anyway so many won't reopen now. One publican said that he depended on 20 people for his business being open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Chatting to the owner of my local today he's got permission to install an outdoor temporary structure so he can open 7th of June, not really sure how it'll work as it's very rural

mightyreds wrote: »
    Chatting to the owner of my local today he's got permission to install an outdoor temporary structure so he can open 7th of June, not really sure how it'll work as it's very rural

My local has applied to dcc for the 2 parking spots out front, it'd give them enough space to sit 25-30 and still have full access to the path for wheelchairs and buggies. Hopefully they get the nod.

my local is very rural not in a village at all, i dont think anyone bar those who wish to will have to sit outside drinking. i think its been open anyway all during the pandemic so i will return when legally allowed. at least it will be normal service resumed.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    my local is very rural not in a village at all, i dont think anyone bar those who wish to will have to sit outside drinking. i think its been open anyway all during the pandemic so i will return when legally allowed. at least it will be normal service resumed.

A few places like that, never really shut to known customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Lads, I dunno, as is often the case, I think the "demise" of the Irish pub is greatly exaggerated. They have survived price increases, smoking bans (warranted), drink driving regulations (definitely warranted), and I think the vast majority will survive this. As a previous poster alluded to, there is no denying that pubs were in decline pre-covid. But that wasn't a terminal decline, it was just a readjustment of the market from the halcyon days of the 70's and 80's where people were packed into pubs 7 nights a week. I think we had sort of reached an "equilibrium" pre-covid where the decline was arrested and the pub scene was well stocked to cater for busy Friday, Saturday, Sundays, and the few mid-week regulars. At least that's my experience of it. The days of 8/9 pubs in a small rural village are gone, and I'm not sure that's something to lament, there are now 2/3 pubs in most villages surrounding me and they all do well, and all plan to open when allowed.

As for the future, maybe I'm an optimist, but I think it will be a case of business-as-usual once the threat of Covid has receded. In fact, I can see pubs thriving in the immediate aftermath. Anecdotally, I know lots of people who are raring to go, and we are already seeing evidence of this in the UK with packed pubs 7 nights a week. Some have cited changing habits, and that's a very valid point, but all it takes is the odd night here and there to return to form. Old habits die hard as they say. But the biggest boon I see in favour of pubs, is the impending change/reform to late night licensing. Coupled with the increase in off-licence prices (due to minimum unit pricing), I can see a bright future for pubs. Just maybe not as bright as the 70s/80s :pac: Just my 2 cents..

hard to argue with that. i think young people will come back to them in bigger numbers too. just beacuase of the fact that a few pints and live music is great fun to normal sociable people of all ages

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

I think long term the pubs will be fine. Just look at the boom in the UK when they reopened. People queuing up for midnight opening. However I don't anticipate many pubs opening whilst outdoor service only is in place. Many pubs wouldn't be able to cater for outdoor service, or have enough outdoor capacity to turn a profit. I'd say many will gladly continue to receive the government business supports and reopen when restriction free.

• Advertisement

4 more weeks just 4 more weeks bring your coat

The regulations should be released any day now opening hours etc

What on earth makes you think that? The first time pint pubs were supposed to open last year, they were still waiting for the failte ireland "recommendations" the Thursday before.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    What on earth makes you think that? The first time pint pubs were supposed to open last year, they were still waiting for the failte ireland "recommendations" the Thursday before.

Surly there should be more urgence this time round from all parties but this is Ireland so things at the last minute as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I'm 42, and tbh I have yet to speak to anyone amongst my friends that has any interest in this outdoor dining/drinking crack. Most people just say to me that they are happy to wait until they can walk into their local when they feel like it, sit where they want and drink their pint in peace.
    Naturally, I feel the same but if the weather picks up, I'll definitely try and go somewhere local for a few beers. Haven't had a pint since the first weekend in December, so I'm definitely looking forward to socialising again. We just need the weather to play ball big time.

I'm 42, and tbh I have yet to speak to anyone amongst my friends that has any interest in this outdoor dining/drinking crack. Most people just say to me that they are happy to wait until they can walk into their local when they feel like it, sit where they want and drink their pint in peace.
    Naturally, I feel the same but if the weather picks up, I'll definitely try and go somewhere local for a few beers. Haven't had a pint since the first weekend in December, so I'm definitely looking forward to socialising again. We just need the weather to play ball big time.

Nothing beats that feeling of an indoor pub with sport on the TV/Music (RTE Gold and the likes get play some bangers). Outdoor dining when it's not a max 16 degrees and not many places will bother with TVs etc. As the night goes on it will get cooler and you have no option of going indoors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

2 more weeks pubs open up north indoors, thats where ill be :pac:

2 more weeks pubs open up north indoors, thats where ill be :pac:

I'm not going that far to get a pint. outdoor with a fire barrel and a bit of cover will do me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Everyone salivating at the thoughts of the pubs open here outdoors in a month.

Pubs open in England indoors next Monday. Makes you think.

Yep it's a sad state of affairs what us Irish people have been forced into accepting. We have to be good boys & girls for June or we wont get our indoor pints

No way will they let outdoor and indoor open together here

• Advertisement

Yep it's a sad state of affairs what us Irish people have been forced into accepting. We have to be good boys & girls for June or we wont get our indoor pints

I don't mind at least until most of us are vaccinated.

Yeah, our nearest neighbours who are 6 weeks ahead of us in vaccinations are 6 weeks ahead of us in reopening. It's a conspiracy.

By all means lay out your alternative.

By all means lay out your alternative.

Outdoor dining open from the 24th May with table service, limited numbers, last orders 11pm Mon-Thurs/12pm (Fri/Sat/Sun)

Indoor dining permitted to open from 7th June with table service, limited numbers and last orders 11pm/12pm

Mid-june/early July- start to trial nightclubs/discos and later closing hours for the weekends (1am/1.30am last orders)

Government should be trying to get all of hospitality staff back to work as soon as possible

Outdoor dining open from the 24th May with table service, limited numbers, last orders 11pm Mon-Thurs/12pm (Fri/Sat/Sun)

Indoor dining permitted to open from 7th June with table service, limited numbers and last orders 11pm/12pm

Mid-june/early July- start to trial nightclubs/discos and later closing hours for the weekends (1am/1.30am last orders)

And where do you get the data to ensure it's safe to move to the next stage with only 2 weeks between them?

Government should be trying to get all of hospitality staff back to work as soon as possible

Sounds like the Government's plan.

• Advertisement

And where do you get the data to ensure it's safe to move to the next stage with only 2 weeks between them?

The same as the data that's been used now ? Which tbf seems to vaccination numbers only

The same as the data that's been used now ? Which tbf seems to vaccination numbers only

Not really though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I really am looking forward to going into a wet pub, sitting on a high stoll and have a pint while watching some live sport.. Its so close I can almost taste it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I really am looking forward to going into a wet pub, sitting on a high stoll and have a pint while watching some live sport.. Its so close I can almost taste it..

You wont be sitting at the bar until September at the earliest. Being realistic probably 2022. Table service bollixololy for the foreseeable.

You wont be sitting at the bar until September at the earliest. Being realistic probably 2022. Table service bollixololy for the foreseeable.

all depends on the pub! Cant see anyone inspecting any restrictions past August.

• Advertisement
Advertisement