Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

The €9 meal thing was 100% around trying to change our culture. They wanted us to go to a pub, all have a meal and think "wow, this is great. We had a nice meal and we're home after 2 hours, not battered. Lets do this more often".

There was no scientific logic to the €9 meal. In fact, because you had more contact with the waiting staff, it would have been worse.

Holohan and co abused their position and power during a time of national crisis to try and slip in some long term changes. We were saying that here last summer and we were dismissed as conspiracy theorists. I think most sane people can admit now that have been abusing the crisis to go after our pub culture.

I have been anti the lockdowns for some time and am mad to see the pubs open. However it was clear as day that the meal thing was to stop pub crawls. It stopped people going from one pub to another unless they paid a 9e charge each time in doing so...There are other things that they were doing to change pub culture certainly but I don't believe that this was one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

It was explained about 4 posts above where you said it was never explained. Not sure you were really paying great attention.

It was also given by way of explanation that pubs with restaurant licences were planning to abuse the rule by just serving drink, hence the €9 meal requirement.

Is this a valid explanation of it in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The made up story about pubs with restaurant licences planning to open but not serve any food?

No it was never explained by anybody. Ever.

What do you mean 'made up story'?? It has all been explained to you. Not sure what part of it you dont understand tbh. And yes of course there was the issue of pubs with restraunt licenses operating as a normal pub. Look the whole €9 meal thing was a quick fix solution whihc turned out to be a farce and poorly thought out. But its done now, so why do some of you keep harping on and on about it?

H
    It was about the restaurants lobbying to stay open - because people gotta eat

Resultants were allowed to open because they're pretty essential.

Restaurants were not allowed stay open. Closed from March until June 29th, closed in October / November and closed again after Christmas still closed today.

Clearly not "pretty essential" then.

Another "explanation" goes south.

What do you mean 'made up story'??

It was posted here that pubs with restaurant licences were planning to open selling drink and no food so as to abuse the rules.

It was a made up conspiracy story with no source.

You keep saying its been explained but I've never seen an explanation, just now we have people saying restaurants had to stay open because they are essential even though they have been closed most of the time since the start so obviously they are not essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Restaurants were not allowed stay open. Closed from March until June 29th, closed in October / November and closed again after Christmas still closed today.

The UK brought in the substantial meal requirement first and we mindlessly copied them (just like we do everytime they are tougher than us but sadly never when they are more lax)

9 euro was arrived at from some old piece of legislation where substantial meal was defined as "eleventy-five shillings and thruppence" (or something) which with inflation and the euro became 9 quid.

It was posted here that pubs with restaurant licences were planning to open selling drink and no food so as to abuse the rules.

It was a made up conspiracy story with no source.

What? So, someone posted an opinion that pubs with restaurant licences might circumvent the rules and thats a conspiracy? Wow. fwiw it think it would be reasonable to assume that might well have actually happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It was also given by way of explanation that pubs with restaurant licences were planning to abuse the rule by just serving drink, hence the €9 meal requirement.

Is this a valid explanation of it in your opinion?

I didn't say anyone abused anything. My explanation is the one I gave above. Do you understand the explanation
    I gave?

Covid numbers permitting. During lockdowns they weren't open, so the €9 didn't apply.

Covid numbers permitting. During lockdowns they weren't open, so the €9 didn't apply.

Then maybe stop saying they are essential so.

• Advertisement

I didn't say anyone abused anything.

I never said you did, somebody else was passing it off as the explanation for the €9 meal.
    Do you understand the explanation
    I gave?

No I don't understand your explanation saying restaurants are essential since they have been closed most of the time for over a year.

It makes no sense to claim they are essential TBH.

Plenty of takeaway options as we all know too well.

I never said you did, somebody else was passing it off as the explanation for the €9 meal.

No I don't understand your explanation saying restaurants are essential since they have been closed most of the time for over a year.

Perhaps link us to where he said restaurants are essential?

I'm pretty sure I said they're "kinda" or maybe I said "pretty" essential. We know they're not absolutely essential like a hospital or a supermarket. The case for restaurants was easier to make than the case for pubs. That's why restaurants were able to open more than pubs were.

Do you get it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The food in some places last year was criminal (tesco pizza, Nachos etc). In most places once your meal was done and the place wasn't booked it was back to normal til closing time with the exception of not been able to order at the bar (finding a waiter/ess was a little irritating). The early closes were a killer, 9.30pm last orders on a Saturday night come on

Things are way more positive looking at the UK in regards no time limits, reasonable opening/closing times etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 irelandpride

Everyone has their opinion on the 9 euro meal and I think the main reason was to stop pub crawls, ensure people couldn't get drunk, and to keep the main drinking spots closed which didn't serve food.

People thinking they were trying to change people's view on alcohol is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The food in some places last year was criminal (tesco pizza, Nachos etc). In most places once your meal was done and the place wasn't booked it was back to normal til closing time with the exception of not been able to order at the bar (finding a waiter/ess was a little irritating). The early closes were a killer, 9.30pm last orders on a Saturday night come on

Things are way more positive looking at the UK in regards no time limits, reasonable opening/closing times etc

You need to drink in better pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You need to drink in better pubs.

We all do, I guess. Sometimes needs must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Surely when outdoor pubs open again time limits will be gone and normal closing times will apply again?

Do you get it now?

I think so. Restaurants are essential except during a pandemic.

Surely when outdoor pubs open again time limits will be gone and normal closing times will apply again?

Doubt it, it will be 10 sun - thu and 11 fri/sat due to residential areas I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Personally can't see normal closing times for when outdoor is permitted as it could turn into a right party atmosphere as the night goes on. Plus some places would be near residential areas. Id guess

Mon-Thurs/Sun- 11pm last orders (out by 11.30)
    Fri/Sat- 12pm last orders (out by 12.30)

I'd love to see the back of time limits and the pre booking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Personally can't see normal closing times for when outdoor is permitted as it could turn into a right party atmosphere as the night goes on. Plus some places would be near residential areas. Id guess

Mon-Thurs/Sun- 11pm last orders (out by 11.30)
    Fri/Sat- 12pm last orders (out by 12.30)

I'd love to see the back of time limits and the pre booking stuff

The times you've posted are essentially the closing times of most pubs anyway with a difference of like a half hour. Last orders on weekends is 12.30 anyway.

If I was to bet it'll be out by 11 every night because of residential areas. Last orders 10/10.15

Will just have to put up with it until indoor returns

The times you've posted are essentially the closing times of most pubs anyway with a difference of like a half hour. Last orders on weekends is 12.30 anyway.

If I was to bet it'll be out by 11 every night because of residential areas. Last orders 10/10.15

Will just have to put up with it until indoor returns

Suppose its acceptable til indoor returns. Let's hope we have definite date for indoor dining by the opening time of outdoor. None of this stringing along crap like last summer

What's the opening hours in England outdoors ?

I think so. Restaurants are essential except during a pandemic.

Well, not quite. They opened some of the time and not other times. So they arent absolutely essential like a hospital or a supermarket or any of the essential businesses that stayed open throughout the pandemic. But that's beside the point.

The question was about why there was a €9 meal rule. And the answer to that question is because €9 was established (pre covid) as the threshold for a substantial meal. They decided to allow places operating primarily as restaurants, selling a substantial meal to open (up to lockdown level 4). Hence the places that were able to fulfil that requirement were able to open

Now do you understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Well, not quite. They opened some of the time and not other times. So they arent absolutely essential like a hospital or a supermarket or any of the essential businesses that stayed open throughout the pandemic. But that's beside the point.

The question was about why there was a €9 meal rule. And the answer to that question is because €9 was established (pre covid) as the threshold for a substantial meal. They decided to allow places operating primarily as restaurants, selling a substantial meal to open (up to lockdown level 4). Hence the places that were able to fulfil that requirement were able to open

Now do you understand?

But that wasn't the case. You just needed to a nearby takeaway to deliver a few pizzas or any oul ****e and then pubs which had never served more than a bag of taytos were able to open.

Now do you understand?

So now you admit restaurants are non essential, so no need to differentiate between them and pubs.

If restaurants are "pretty essential" as you previously claimed they could have allowed them stay open during all lockdowns without serving alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Jesus some have too much time on there hands . The 9 euro meal thing is gone maybe ye should all forget about it and move on .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Can someone answer me this...... If two people are vaccinated, why can't they sit up to a bar as normal and have their pint and chat? What's the scientific reasoning behind insisting on table service?

spurshero wrote: »
    Jesus some have too much time on there hands . The 9 euro meal thing is gone maybe ye should all forget about it and move on .

If people stopped coming on here and spreading stuff along the lines of

"restaurants are "pretty esential" so they had to be allowed open"

And

"pubs had a plan to sell drink with no food because there was a restaurant licence attached"

then maybe we could move on.

But a few lads keep coming on spreading their theories / opinions and then try to claim these are some sort of definitive explanation without ever being able to provide a source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

If people stopped coming on here and spreading stuff along the lines of

"restaurants are "pretty esential" so they had to be allowed open"

And

"pubs had a plan to sell drink with no food because there was a restaurant licence attached"

then maybe we could move on.

But a few lads keep coming on spreading their theories / opinions and then try to claim these are some sort of definitive explanation without ever being able to provide a source.

No bother . Anyway as regards June 7 I think ya will see a 11 pm last orders to start with and take it from there. Prob see each table having to be a metre apart and something like 6 max at a table . I would imagine it will be something like that till everybody is vaccinated .

So now you admit restaurants are non essential, so no need to differentiate between them and pubs.

If restaurants are "pretty essential" as you previously claimed they could have allowed them stay open during all lockdowns without serving alcohol.

Ok. So I've explained that The 9 euro meal is because that's the threshold for a "substantial meal" and places selling a substantial meal were given priority to open. Now do you now understand where the 9 euro meal fits in?

spurshero wrote: »
    No bother . Anyway as regards June 7 I think ya will see a 11 pm last orders to start with and take it from there. Prob see each table having to be a metre apart and something like 6 max at a table . I would imagine it will be something like that till everybody is vaccinated .

From what I have seen most people are going out early when the weather is a bit warmer and most gone home by 10pm, so 11pm will be fine for outdoors.

I saw pictures of Limerick the other night and pubs on main streets had tables and whiskey barrels directly outside the door with people standing around with no control on group sizes or distancing etc.

If they bring in a rule of 6 I doubt there will be any enforcement considering how many places will be open and from talking to a few cops they are sick of dealing with the curtain twitchers ringing to complain about everything.

Can someone answer me this...... If two people are vaccinated, why can't they sit up to a bar as normal and have their pint and chat? What's the scientific reasoning behind insisting on table service?

How do they demonstrate they're vaccinated? See the vaccination passport thread for all the reasons people have not to introduce a vaccination passport.

Ok. So I've explained that The 9 euro meal is because that's the threshold for a "substantial meal" and places selling a substantial meal were given priority to open. Now do you now understand where the 9 euro meal fits in?

And you claimed the reason they were given priority to open is because they are "pretty essential"

But here we are and every pub and restaurant will be opening together on June 7th.

Restaurants serving alcohol are no more essential than pubs.

As has been suggested here already - the €9 was to slow down pub crawls - that is far more plausible than your so called "explanation"

Now do you understand that your "explanation" does not stand up?

And you claimed the reason they were given priority to open is because they are "pretty essential"

But here we are and every pub and restaurant will be opening together on June 7th.

As has been suggested here already - the €9 was to slow down pub crawls - that is far more plausible than your so called "explanation"

You're getting side-tracked on the gradations of essentialness. Lets leave the word essential aside as it's an absolute term being used to describe something with gradations and it's causing you confusion.

Places primarily selling food were deemed more important than places primarily selling drinks. We know this because dry-led pubs and restaurants were given priority to open when wet-led pubs were not.

The distinction between a dry and wet led pub was established and it centres around the definition of a "substantial meal" (it was defined in the early 2000s as a meal which would be served as a main lunch or evening meal and would reasonably cost no less than €9). So when they decided to open dry led pubs and restaurants the distinction was the ability to serve a €9 meal.

Do you get it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Lads, give it a rest. Pubs are opening soon, let's rejoice! :D

You're wasting your breath. It's called "I want to get the last word in, cover my ears and go tralala". Everyone with more than two brain cells to rub together knows that the €9 meal was to stop Paddy losing the run of himself and to keep traditional publicans from opening their doors. A complete crock that has been discarded because it was discriminatory against publicans without means for cooking food on premises, and on the basis that it was arbitrarily devised nonsense. We've moved on from such mickey mouse shenanigans, government finally sporting their big boy pants. A little over three weeks from now I will be hurtling back the porter in my local, without a plate of onion rings or time constraints to stifle the craic. Chin chin boyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

There was somebody on here a while back posting lies that pubs with restaurant licences were planning to open and serve no food just drink. And that the €9 rule was introduced for this reason.

Not a lie. In fact alot of the gastropubs don't have a pub license but operate off a restaurant license. Restaurant license permits them to serve alcohol as long as they serve food but they won't be able to have the extended opening hours. Think difference between late bar open till 3am in the city centre vs local pub serving food closing at 12am. I know a publican who owns two 'local' pubs with a pub license in Dublin. When the 9 euro food nonsense was materialising he simply went to the courts, applied for restaurant license to serve food all in a matter of days.

Y
    Places primarily selling food were deemed more important than places primarily selling drinks.

Who "deemed" them more important?

Have you a link to support your "theory"

Didn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Who "deemed" them more important?

Have you a link to support your "theory"

Didn't think so.

Mod

I think you are done in this thread. Any issues with that, PM me. Dont post in this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Might be an idea to give the vaccinated a badge? perhaps a gold 'V'pin for vaccination or maybe a 'V 2' to show two vaccinations? Bit like the Fainne, discrete.

Maybe the Vintners would get behind it?

I'm guessing indoor hospitality opening in the north from the 24th May will have zero impact on our reopening

The irish government are so naive to think people won't be flocking north spending there money on food/drinks esp from the border counties

I'm guessing indoor hospitality opening in the north from the 24th May will have zero impact on our reopening

The irish government are so naive to think people won't be flocking north spending there money on food/drinks esp from the border counties

No, I think they understand how a common travel area works.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    No, I think they understand how a common travel area works.

Then why don't we open Hospitality the same time, no because of the Vaccination levels, variants, this that and the other

Then why don't we open Hospitality the same time, no because of the Vaccination levels, variants, this that and the other

Why don't drinks in southern supermarkets cost the same? Why do pubs open later down south? Why is their tayto yellow?

It's almost like they're 2 separate countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

3 lovely pints of Guinness yesterday with splendid sea views. The only disapointing factor is the plastic glass I much prefer the glass glass roll on June21.
    Since when did Portobello have a plaza? Now closed for the 1st time. Like wild camping wild drinking is one of lifes simple pleasures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

pottokblue wrote: »
    3 lovely pints of Guinness yesterday with splendid sea views. The only disapointing factor is the plastic glass I much prefer the glass glass roll on June21.
    Since when did Portobello have a plaza? Now closed for the 1st time. Like wild camping wild drinking is one of lifes simple pleasures.

What's on the 21st of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

All those people drinking outside in pub car parks need toilets. Are the pubs providing outdoor toilets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

tina1040 wrote: »
    All those people drinking outside in pub car parks need toilets. Are the pubs providing outdoor toilets?

No they are pissing on streets and in alleyways, it's ridiculous, open the toilets and have a limit allowed in, probably be shut if they did though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

One of the pubs near me is taking bookings ahead of opening their refurbished beer garden on the 7th.

Bit worried that it'll be the common theme and will be hard to get in somewhere now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement