Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

[PHP][/PHP]
    Tony might have won a few battles over the past year, but he has the lost the war. The abstinence drive fell short, and I'm not the least bit sorry it failed. As well as any lofty social engineering notions of introducing continental-style drinking, "al fresco" my back passage. The traditional pub will rebound, it is deeply embedded in our culture and cannot be eradicated overnight.

Encountered my local publican yesterday, he has ploughed his remaining few bob into jazzing up the interior...a simple canopy suffices for temporary beer garden squeeze. It's all systems go in a few weeks time, and by July it will be a case of "Tony who?". Demand very much there, car parks were hotspots for takeaway pints & chatter over the weekend. Punters are itching to embrace a bit of normality again.

Vradkar as bad too. How they ever thought tapas and a glass of wine would work here was beyond me. They were never going to be able to force it forever.

One of the pubs near me is taking bookings ahead of opening their refurbished beer garden on the 7th.

Bit worried that it'll be the common theme and will be hard to get in somewhere now.

The good old Irish gouge, following their brothers in the hotels. Don’t be surprised to see cover charges soon.

We’re going to have a “post covid” gouge in this country across the board in the hospitality industry until at least 2023. Or longer if they can get away with it.

One of the pubs near me is taking bookings ahead of opening their refurbished beer garden on the 7th.

Bit worried that it'll be the common theme and will be hard to get in somewhere now.

Inevitable, with many traditional publicans unable to open. Effectively funneling people into a handful of beer gardens. Genius logic of our leaders, if all pubs reopened at once there wouldn't be an issue of overcrowding. Inadvertently creating the very thing they are trying to avoid. All this jostling for space, driving demand which a few opportunists will exploit. My publican knows his regulars, he confirmed they receive priority in the beginning. Any canny operators trying to introduce extra charges on pints get named and shamed, in a small town there's no hiding space for that kind of carry on. I've never booked an evening for liquid refreshment, and never will. Strolling in the door on spur of the moment, if that isn't good enough there's another watering hole up the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I have heard there would be some support for a vaccinated pub opening. Generally 0ver 50's soon (the main pub goers) just show your vaccine pass at the door. Try it even as a pilot (I think it has worked abroad) and would act as an incentive for others to take the vaccine.

Carbman wrote: »
    Listen Chief. Indoor Pubs will open in July. If the over 50 alco's can't wait until then they can go to hell

That's a very dog in the manger attitude. It would include health workers and others who have been vaccinated. Also more will be added in time. The risks would be minimal so why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭aziz

saabsaab wrote: »
    I have heard there would be some support for a vaccinated pub opening. Generally 0ver 50's soon (the main pub goers) just show your vaccine pass at the door. Try it even as a pilot (I think it has worked abroad) and would act as an incentive for others to take the vaccine.

As if a pub owner,manager or staff will tell unvaccinated regulars to take a hike.
    Dream on

Carbman wrote: »
    Just tell them to buy a few cans and wait till July.

Afterall, Chief, we're all in this together

Why? A vaccine bonus would be useful. Just because some couldn't doesn't mean that others can't. Bit like saying because I can afford a new Tesla I shouldn't get one because others can't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

aziz wrote: »
    As if a pub owner,manager or staff will tell unvaccinated regulars to take a hike.
    Dream on
    Even without the turning of blind eyes I have doubts about the enforcability. How would anyone know if my NHS vaccination card is even genuine or not..

PommieBast wrote: »
    Even without the turning of blind eyes I have doubts about the enforcability. How would anyone know if my NHS vaccination card is even genuine or not..

HSE surely? Signed by a local Doctor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

HSE surely? Signed by a local Doctor?
    I'm getting jabbed in the UK Monday week.

PommieBast wrote: »
    I'm getting jabbed in the UK Monday week.

Fair play. You'll get a card or letter to confirm it I guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The vfi and lva have proven themselves to be toothless gutless wonders during this pandemic, but even they couldn't nod along politely with vaccine bonuses for pubs when most of their members haven't received the vaccine.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The vfi and lva have proven themselves to be toothless gutless wonders during this pandemic, but even they couldn't nod along politely with vaccine bonuses for pubs when most of their members haven't received the vaccine.

Maybe it's the pubs I go to but most bars have owners that are at least 50+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Maybe it's the pubs I go to but most bars have owners that are at least 50+.

That might be the case but many owners don't work stick in their pub and most staff are students especially at the weekends, and funnily enough during summer holidays. Honestly the job is hard enough for crap pay without expecting staff to go checking people's papers like some kind of totalitarian regime. Just leave the counter till anyone can sit at it, it can't be far away.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    That might be the case but many owners don't work stick in their pub and most staff are students especially at the weekends, and funnily enough during summer holidays. Honestly the job is hard enough for crap pay without expecting staff to go checking people's papers like some kind of totalitarian regime. Just leave the counter till anyone can sit at it, it can't be far away.

It wouldn't be for all pubs obviously but it might be a runner for a few as a pilot?
    In Israel green pass holders can drink in a bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Failte Ireland seem to be in no rush releasing the guidelines, only 3 weeks to go

Lets hope there considering all possibilities

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Failte Ireland seem to be in no rush releasing the guidelines, only 3 weeks to go

Such as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It wouldn't be for all pubs obviously but it might be a runner for a few as a pilot?
    In Israel green pass holders can drink in a bar.

There's going to be no "Green Passes" in Ireland, maybe some places will ask to see your vaccination cert to sit at the bar or whatever but sure they can be easily forged...
    And with the slow roll-out of the vaccine in Ireland then if a Green pass comes out it's just creating a privileged tier of the few, those lucky enough to have received a jab, which at the moment is basically around 1.5 million people under 50, and those are the ones most likely to frequent bars and restaurants...

PTH2009 wrote: »

If one of the guidelines is that as well as having to sit outside, and the tables have to be 2 meters apart then I can see the majority of pubs choosing to stay closed until Indoor is permitted..

At the moment I'd stay well away from the Pubs, between having to book a table, sit outside and time limits on your table as well it all sounds more like a trip to the dentist than a relaxing pint at the pub....

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    There's going to be no "Green Passes" in Ireland, maybe some places will ask to see your vaccination cert to sit at the bar or whatever but sure they can be easily forged...
    And with the slow roll-out of the vaccine in Ireland then if a Green pass comes out it's just creating a privileged tier of the few, those lucky enough to have received a jab, which at the moment is basically around 1.5 million people under 50, and those are the ones most likely to frequent bars and restaurants...

Nearly a third of those going to the pub are over 50 per survey below. Health workers have also been vaccinated so a small bonus for them.

https://www.drinksindustryireland.ie/todays-pub-goers/

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1394966796101378052?s=20

Well, there we go. I'm going to enjoy this news before this thread tells me it's actually a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Well, there we go. I'm going to enjoy this news before this thread tells me it's actually a bad thing.
    No food, no capacity limit, no time limit. Not too bad at all :cool:

Happy with that but ffs open indoors soon after

I imagine Marquees will be deemed outside

Before the usual suspects have a pop at me, I prefer indoors as it's easier for the lone drinker instead of been out in the open surrounded by groups of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i would think indoor drinking will just slowly merge with outdoor after about 2 weeks, they have to let people in to use bathrooms ,can see it slowly petering out after a week or two. There will be very few inspections after a few token ones in big famous pubs for the cameras. Pub beside me will be normal service anyway, i dont think it shut at all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

I think you are done in this thread. Any issues with that, PM me. Dont post in this thread again.

<snip>
    Do not discuss moderation in thread. PM the mod if you have an issue

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Looking out at the weather today and perusing the long term forecast, I think this outdoor dining is dead before it even starts. Open the pubs. Properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

this is an ok thing.
    table service only is a load of b0llocks & 6 at a table is a load of b0llocks

That said i'll still be there for pints - I've ran the house party thing into the ground. Won't want another for 5 years

Looking out at the weather today and perusing the long term forecast, I think this outdoor dining is dead before it even starts. Open the pubs. Properly.

pubs and niteclubs should never have been closed.

Agree with you 100%. No reason to why the pubs shouldnt open. They were open last year with table service for a few weeks and we had no vaccine. They should be opened back up as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Agree with you 100%. No reason to why the pubs shouldnt open. They were open last year with table service for a few weeks and we had no vaccine. They should be opened back up as soon as possible

If the vulnerable are now vaccinated, I see no reason why I can't sit up to the bar with other regulars. How long are we going to persist with this social distancing?

• Advertisement

If the vulnerable are now vaccinated, I see no reason why I can't sit up to the bar with other regulars. How long are we going to persist with this social distancing?

When the pubs were opened last year for a few weeks i was in 2 of my locals and we were able to sit at the bar. Both pubs had a glass partition at the bar. Both pubs were well set up. No reason why they should be opened when the vulnerable are vaccinated

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was up north last weekend and went to a pub for some outdoor boozing.

I have to say it was nice to get out for a few pints, but outdoor sucks. It was freezing. I don't know if they'll have the same rules down here but they couldn't even erect screens up there to block the wind, I think 2 or 3 sides of the area have to be open to allow airflow.

Since the outdoor limitation may only last a few weeks not too many pubs will invest in heating etc at this stage, it wouldn't be worth it, especially after they've been closed for over a year with no takings at all.

Hopefully we get a spell of amazing weather in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

It depends what our expectations are regarding return of our boozers.

If people think it will be the same as it was before covid, then they are delusional.

If people think that bars are going to be able to survive with covid regulations in situ as well as last minute lockdowns hanging over them, they too are delusional.

I think every town is going to have about 4 pubs. They will be under very strict duress and will be answerable to the constant scrutiny of social media and government.

Live music will be cut down to early evening entertainment. One man band or dj. They will have to operate under a certain noise threshold, which may not be a bad thing, but ultimately, this will not encourage any sort of rock music at all.

I cant see the pubs resembling the pubs we grew up with.

awec wrote: »
    Was up north last weekend and went to a pub for some outdoor boozing.I have to say it was nice to get out for a few pints, but outdoor sucks. It was freezing. I don't know if they'll have the same rules down here but they couldn't even erect screens up there to block the wind, I think 2 or 3 sides of the area have to be open to allow airflow. Since the outdoor limitation may only last a few weeks not too many pubs will invest in heating etc at this stage, it wouldn't be worth it, especially after they've been closed for over a year with no takings at all.Hopefully we get a spell of amazing weather in the next few weeks.

Like I've said before on this thread, we're not the Greek Islands here, just look out the window today, couldn't think of anything more miserable that being squashed onto soggy outdoor seating to sup down a cold beer today and have it diluted by the rain...
    Not to mention the vast increase in Anti-social behavior around Dublin and other places, just look at what happened in Malahide, a sleepy up market seaside town and you have Gangs of Youths jumping on cars on the main street and fighting... not a Gard to be seen.. imagine trying to enjoy a pint with all that going on plus roaming Drug addicts looking for "spare change".... means that security men have to be employed costing Businesses even more money...

Pubs.. stay closed until Indoors is allowed...

eddie73 wrote: »

If people think it will be the same as it was before covid, then they are delusional.

If people think that bars are going to be able to survive with covid regulations in situ as well as last minute lockdowns hanging over them, they too are delusional.

I think every town is going to have about 4 pubs. They will be under very strict duress and will be answerable to the constant scrutiny of social media and government.

Live music will be cut down to early evening entertainment. One man band or dj. They will have to operate under a certain noise threshold, which may not be a bad thing, but ultimately, this will not encourage any sort of rock music at all.

forever?
    that's some bleak assessment eps now everybody is happy clapping over the vaccines.

You are delusional if you think pubs/live music events wont return to what they were like before covid. Not a chance of it happening. It might take another year or two to get to what they were like before covid before it will get back to what it was like in the old days

paw patrol wrote: »
    forever?
    that's some bleak assessment eps now everybody is happy clapping over the vaccines.

Happy clapping over vaccines is all well and good, but we have yet to see how the public are going to handle covid occurrences in the community, which will happen constantly from now on. When I say occurrences, that would mean 2 or 3 people on a daily basis. This will still make the news. This will still cause mayhem with the public. imagine a town like Athlone where this happens. A few people get covid. Headlines in the papers. People decide to stay at home rather than go to bars. or there are flash lockdowns. No pup for bars. Call me pessimistic, but I see this as a likely scenario.

You are delusional if you think pubs/live music events wont return to what they were like before covid. Not a chance of it happening. It might take another year or two to get to what they were like before covid before it will get back to what it was like in the old days

I don't know how they are going to survive if they try and open and operate under a controlled system. People will neither have the money nor the patience to go out "socialising" under these conditions.

That post belongs in the conspiracy forum.
    I'd love to hear the rationale behind your views, when we will soon have herd immunity from a range of safe and very effective vaccines, which reduce transmission, prevent severe illness/hospitalistions/death from the virus. And before you cite "de variants", newsflash the vaccines work against them too.

• Advertisement

I don't know how they are going to survive if they try and open and operate under a controlled system. People will neither have the money nor the patience to go out "socialising" under these conditions.

Operating under a controlled system will be temporary. How long it lasts no one knows but we will get back to what we were like before covid.

Happy clapping over vaccines is all well and good, but we have yet to see how the public are going to handle covid occurrences in the community, which will happen constantly from now on. When I say occurrences, that would mean 2 or 3 people on a daily basis. This will still make the news. This will still cause mayhem with the public. imagine a town like Athlone where this happens. A few people get covid. Headlines in the papers. People decide to stay at home rather than go to bars. or there are flash lockdowns. No pup for bars. Call me pessimistic, but I see this as a likely scenario.
    Are you serious? Stay living under your covers.peering out from behind the curtins if you like. The majority, and vast majority at that, will not give a ****e. Do people get worked up over the common cold or flu? Most people are already moving on, stay away from the hysteria-fuelled headlines of RTE and The Journal, and you might too.

Are you serious? Stay living under your covers.peering out from behind the curtins if you like. The majority, and vast majority at that, will not give a ****e. Do people get worked up over the common cold or flu? Most people are already moving on, stay away from the hysteria-fuelled headlines of RTE and The Journal, and you might too.

Barring a new nasty variant the vaccines should sort it out.

Taken from Dublins Church Bar and Restaurant Facebook page

'We are delighted to announce our re opening on the 10th of June.
    Temporary Opening hours :
    Thursday 12-11.30
    Friday 12-11.30
    Saturday 12-11.30
    Sunday 12-10'

Barring a new nasty variant the vaccines should sort it out.
    We're 15 months into this and we've had the Kent variant, SA variant, Brittany variant, California variant, New York variant, and now Indian variant. I'm sure there are countless others, but thankfully it appears so far that the vaccines work against them. Does anyone even mention the SA variant anymore, now that we have the big, bad Indian one? Whilst it is prudent to monitor them, there has been a lot of hysteria and hyperbole (mostly driven by the media) surrounding these variants, when most of it is completely unjustified.

We're 15 months into this and we've had the Kent variant, SA variant, Brittany variant, California variant, New York variant, and now Indian variant. I'm sure there are countless others, but thankfully it appears so far that the vaccines work against them. Does anyone even mention the SA variant anymore, now that we have the big, bad Indian one? Whilst it is prudent to monitor them, there has been a lot of hysteria and hyperbole (mostly driven by the media) surrounding these variants, when most of it is completely unjustified.

Completely unjustified until it isn't? Bit like the original virus itself. All it takes is one really nasty version to develop and all bets are off. May not happen but we can't be sure and the vaccine roll outs should help stop it happening.

• Advertisement

You are missing the point. Most people don't give a sh*te, I agree with you. But what choice do they have if bars are either permanently closed or subject to restrictive public health regulations? They will not be allowed to behave in certain ways in bars from now on. Either that or they will have to go partying elsewhere. 100% agree with you about the hysterical media.

We could argue that people will get accustomed to the new regulations and eventually work with them. But this is not the bar of yesterday, which is the kernel of this thread. The old bars are gone forever imo.

You are missing the point. Most people don't give a sh*te, I agree with you. But what choice do they have if bars are either permanently closed or subject to restrictive public health regulations? They will not be allowed to behave in certain ways in bars from now on. Either that or they will have to go partying elsewhere. 100% agree with you about the hysterical media.

We could argue that people will get accustomed to the new regulations and eventually work with them. But this is not the bar of yesterday, which is the kernel of this thread. The old bars are gone forever imo.
    Simple question to this bit in bold - why? What reason for restrictions? Why won't people be allowed to behave in certain ways?

You're rather premature issuing the death notice for the traditional pub. Within weeks, many (not all, granted) will reopen and thrive from pent-up demand. A cursory ear to the ground suggests that many people are eager to rekindle the craic and horse into them pints. You underestimate human nature, old habits die hard and an ingrained culture for generations cannot be eradicated within a year. Which isn't necessarily music to Tony's ears or others with a derisory view of the hospitality sector. Naturally, there are those who are apprehensive and won't return to the local in a hurry. These are in the minority, business as usual for the rest.

You're rather premature issuing the death notice for the traditional pub. Within weeks, many (not all, granted) will reopen and thrive from pent-up demand. A cursory ear to the ground suggests that many people are eager to rekindle the craic and horse into them pints. You underestimate human nature, old habits die hard and an ingrained culture for generations cannot be eradicated within a year. Which isn't necessarily music to Tony's ears or others with a derisory view of the hospitality sector. Naturally, there are those who are apprehensive and won't return to the local in a hurry. These are in the minority, business as usual for the rest.

People will reinvent ways of socialising regardless of bars. Within weeks, bars will open, under severe restrictions.

https://failtecdn.azureedge.net/failteireland/Guidelines-for-Re-opening-Hotels-and-Guesthouses.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3ixoNr5yDLwfEH50lTAlJiqw4zcdnfMa0rRZ46qKDRWTMInAe35vVRhEw

I don't have your confidence in survival of bars or the new bar that we will experience in the months to come. Regardless of the minority who are afraid to go out again, there are also those people who won't want to. There is a big difference between these categories.

The vulnerable aren't all vaccinated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement