Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

Lucky my local has a beer garden.

Anyone too drunk inside will be chucked out to the beer garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

The count down begins....13 more days until pubs 'officially' open outdoors ...can wait to drop down to my local for a cuppa maybe even a whiskey in it to celebrate for once...Spare a thought for the musicians in your locals who have not been playing for over a year and when you listen to them next maybe drop an extra tip to them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

speckle wrote: »
    The count down begins....13 more days until pubs 'officially' open outdoors...can wait to drop down to my local for a cuppa maybe even a whiskey in it to celebrate for once...Spare a thought for the musicians in your locals who have not been playing for over a year and when you listen to them next maybe drop an extra tip to them :D

Weather permitting, I am getting my daily walk in at 9AM. By walk I mean trekking into town, with a post-exercise breakfast roll afterwards.

Straight to one of my locals then at opening :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Weather permitting, I am getting my daily walk in at 9AM. By walk I mean trekking into town, with a post-exercise breakfast roll afterwards.

Straight to one of my locals then at opening :D

Looking forward to going to my local Wet pub for a pint and a read of the newspaper..particularly on a Sunday afternoon. Only thing missing will be the football as the season is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Are there still early houses...remember with fondness one or two up in the big smoke when I used to work crazy hours and over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Cork2021

No pub is going to implement this time limit ****e especially in rural Ireland. Just pop out to beer garden(if they have one) for 1 and come back in! It’s ridiculous to be setting time limits it’s just plain pedantic and bowing to NPHET to plamause them! Fûck Nphet vaccines are working let businesses get back to work and let people get back to normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Looking forward to going to my local Wet pub for a pint and a read of the newspaper..particularly on a Sunday afternoon. Only thing missing will be the football as the season is over.

Euros shall be on

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

Cork2021 wrote: »
    No pub is going to implement this time limit ****e especially in rural Ireland. Just pop out to beer garden(if they have one) for 1 and come back in! It’s ridiculous to be setting time limits it’s just plain pedantic and bowing to NPHET to plamause them! Fûck Nphet vaccines are working let businesses get back to work and let people get back to normal!

Nphet didnt do anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Cork2021

peterc1991 wrote: »
    Nphet didnt do anything..

Who do you think gave failte Ireland the advice? Come on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

Failte Ireland likely advised that so that people move and spend more money in different pubs. has nothing to do with nphet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Failte Ireland's big plan pre pandemic was "the majestic Midlands" and making Offaly a tourist destination. This idea is on the mild side of stupid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Degag wrote: »
    Can’t say i agree with time limits potentially coming back. Just let pubs open and trade and stop the messing about.

This is gone beyond madness now.
    Are they deliberately trying to shut the hospitality down?
    If so they are doing a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Indoor only time limits ?

Jesus christ why do we make ridiculous rules in this country ?

Before the usual suspects come along and shoot me down, I have right to be mad with the stupid rules that they always inflict on us.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Indoor only time limits ?

Jesus christ why do we make ridiculous rules in this country ?

I know you don't wake up before noon, but it was failte Ireland and publicans idea.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0525/1223696-guidelines-hospitality-sector/

And the so the inevitable climbdown on indoor hospitality begins, already pushing it out to an undefined date:

"Taoiseach Micheál Martin indicated yesterday that this may not happen in the first week of July and he said it remains the case that outdoors is best."

Effectively the same con job as last summer, tease traditional publicans with a full reopening plan only to kick can down the road repeatedly. They must be laughing at us in the North, more so at the ridiculous and unenforceable time constraints proposed. Moral of the story, our authoritarian leaders can't trust Paddy to hold his porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0525/1223696-guidelines-hospitality-sector/

And the so the inevitable climbdown on indoor hospitality begins, already pushing it out to an undefined date:

"Taoiseach Micheál Martin indicated yesterday that this may not happen in the first week of July and he said it remains the case that outdoors is best."

Effectively the same con job as last summer, tease traditional publicans with a full reopening plan only to kick can down the road repeatedly. They must be laughing at us in the North, more so at the ridiculous and unenforceable time constraints proposed. Moral of the story, our authoritarian leaders can't trust Paddy to hold his porter.

Said it yesterday and I'll say it again how is it a climbdown or pushing out a date when a date was never given in the first place. Publicans asked for the 1st of July, they were told no, why? Well because in general there's 4 weeks between opening stages, that brings us to the weeks beginning either the 5th July or 12th July depending when the review date is pencilled in for (a week before the 4 weeks or the week of 4 weeks to open week after review)

Both dates tie in with the first half of July expectation that was given for indoor, there doesn't look to be any change on that front and we should know more come Friday in terms of dates

We'll be back supping on pints outdoors from 7th June and indoors either the 5th or 12th of July and I can't wait for both dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Said it yesterday and I'll say it again how is it a climbdown or pushing out a date when a date was never given in the first place. Publicans asked for the 1st of July, they were told no, why? Well because in general there's 4 weeks between opening stages, that brings us to the weeks beginning either the 5th July or 12th July depending when the review date is pencilled in for (a week before the 4 weeks or the week of 4 weeks to open week after review)

Both dates tie in with the first half of July expectation that was given for indoor, there doesn't look to be any change on that front and we should know more come Friday in terms of dates

We'll be back supping on pints outdoors from 7th June and indoors either the 5th or 12th of July and I can't wait for both dates.

Indoor pints on the 12th of July.

There'll be parades all over the country!

• Site Banned Posts: 6 Mick the irishman

Was in Newry today for a few pints myself, more people from the Republic in the bar than Northerners. LH and D cars everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They could open indoors earlier if the rule was to have open windows for ventilation. Makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

So the latest now is that there will be a 105 minute time limit indoors if tables are less than 2 metres apart, and no time limit if tables are 2 metres or more apart. What a load of rubbish, as if any publican will enforce that. Will the Gardai be coming around with a measuring tape?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/105-minute-limit-on-the-table-for-indoor-dining-when-failte-ireland-releases-recommendations-for-pubs-and-restaurants-today-40467529.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Really looking forward to a nice meal and pint this summer. Mussels and a pint of Guinness on the West coast is one of my favourite things.

There is concerning data around the effectiveness of one dose against the Indian variant. As low as 33%. Personally I think that pushing indoor until closer to September when there are more fully vaccinated would be wiser. Obviously we might have to contend with schools opening and unvaccinated children mixing then. But it's too soon to call.

Government taking the right approach in going cautiously ahead. If it's an outdoor summer, then so be it. I'd rather that than a repeat of the scenes from the start of this year.

Really looking forward to a nice meal and pint this summer. Mussels and a pint of Guinness on the West coast is one of my favourite things.

There is concerning data around the effectiveness of one dose against the Indian variant. As low as 33%. Personally I think that pushing indoor until closer to September when there are more fully vaccinated would be wiser. Obviously we might have to contend with schools opening and unvaccinated children mixing then. But it's too soon to call.

Government taking the right approach in going cautiously ahead. If it's an outdoor summer, then so be it. I'd rather that than a repeat of the scenes from the start of this year.

More than two millions vaccinations have been administered, compared to zero at start of year. So much for your "repeat of scenes", such a disingenuous take rather undermines the rest of your post. Which was lacking credibility anyway, September is a ridiculous estimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I imagine they managed to come up with the guidelines al by themselves. ffs is everything a conspiracy with you lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

How is there a climbdown when there had been no date given for indoors anyway?

No announcement today getting reported now. The Government are a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

It's not due until friday? What are you reading ?

There's nothing due until Friday anyway.

We all know what the guidelines are, that's not a government announcement

There's none due......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

sp00k wrote: »
    So the latest now is that there will be a 105 minute time limit indoors if tables are less than 2 metres apart, and no time limit if tables are 2 metres or more apart. What a load of rubbish, as if any publican will enforce that. Will the Gardai be coming around with a measuring tape?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/105-minute-limit-on-the-table-for-indoor-dining-when-failte-ireland-releases-recommendations-for-pubs-and-restaurants-today-40467529.html

I've been pretty supportive of the various measures taken thus far. This is just annoying. Let pubs decide their own time limits when they open. Frustrating.

Degag wrote: »
    I've been pretty supportive of the various measures taken thus far. This is just annoying. Let pubs decide their own time limits when they open. Frustrating.

They will, no way can the gardai enforce this in every pub in the country.

Some pubs won't bother.

Some will, and will have 5-6 sittings a day, and can blame the government.

The government have their scape goat if anything goes tits up (evil publicans breaking the rules)

It's a tick the boxes exercise that actually benefits everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There's nothing due until Friday anyway.

We all know what the guidelines are, that's not a government announcement

Will goodbody was saying on rte news that there were guidelines expected today for indoor dinning and they haven’t been published.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    There's none due......

The failte Ireland plans regarding seating, time limits etc was due today as the Govt didn't sign off on it

Whats the rush like, poor business owners

The failte Ireland plans regarding seating, time limits etc was due today

What does that have to do with the government?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Will goodbody was saying on rte news that there were guidelines expected today for indoor dinning and they haven’t been published.

And said poster said "government are a shambles".. the government weren't announcing anything today.

And said poster said "government are a shambles".. the government weren't announcing anything today.

The reason the plans are not released is because the Govt didnt sign off on them so yes it is there fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

They will, no way can the gardai enforce this in every pub in the country.

Some pubs won't bother.

Some will, and will have 5-6 sittings a day, and can blame the government.

The government have their scape goat if anything goes tits up (evil publicans breaking the rules)

It's a tick the boxes exercise that actually benefits everyone.

Ah i know. My local didn't enforce it before and wont enforce it now.

It's more if you wanted to go away somewhere for a weekend not knowing if you will be turfed out after 2 hours or not.

What does that have to do with the government?

The plans due to be released could not be released as they were not signed off on by the Government

You love to know who came up with the 105 minute rule. Some load of bol1ox. Its only going to encourage pub crawls in the bigger towns and cities where the pubs will be booked up.Cant see pubs in smaller towns/villages using the 105 minute rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

speckle wrote: »
    The count down begins....13 more days until pubs 'officially' open outdoors ...can wait to drop down to my local for a cuppa maybe even a whiskey in it to celebrate for once...Spare a thought for the musicians in your locals who have not been playing for over a year and when you listen to them next maybe drop an extra tip to them :D

It's better than nothing but I'm not that excited. Look at it this way- the North has had outdoor drinking for a month. Has there been a single day in the last month, weather wise, where it would have been remotely enjoyable?

I'll go for a few somewhere on Monday week just for the novelty of having a draught pint from a glass in a pub, at a trenemdous fuk you to Holohan, Harris and the rest, but tbh it's a poor substitute for the real thing, unless the summer does a 360 and we get 25 degree days by then. I'm struggling to even think of many pubs in the middle of Dublin that have a substantial beer garden (plus, legally, when does a canopy become indoors, what is outdoors and what isn't etc).

My thought- Monday July 13th at a minimum. The day after the Euros finals. That way they can deny us the pleasures of enjoying all of Euro 2020 in a pub with pints and some atmosphere.

In saying that, they'd also love to deny us an August BH. I'm fearing "ah sure what's another 3 weeks" here.

Bizarre fact- it is somewhat possible people in Dundalk will still be drinking in beer gardens in late July but will be able to go up the road to a ****ing nightclub on the same night.

The war on fun never ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Not sure locally here how much of a difference outdoor drinking on June 7th will mean.

Have had take away pints up here out the back of the pub the last few weekends.

Which will be the exact same process after June 7th.

Fingers crossed for good weather.

You love to know who came up with the 105 minute rule. Some load of bol1ox. Its only going to encourage pub crawls in the bigger towns and cities where the pubs will be booked up.Cant see pubs in smaller towns/villages using the 105 minute rule.

I believe Simon Harris was health minister at the time. I would bet my life the bulk of the anti craic rules came from this horrible little nerd (I'd also bet he came up with the phrase "Hold Firm")

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for good weather.

Embarrassing isn't it, relying on the fickle Irish weather because the government are cowering in fear at the prospect of re-opening indoor before July. Imagine if Dermot Morgan were alive today, he would lampoon the bejaysus out of them. The satire writes itself.

Covid must hate indoor pubs in the north if he stops at the many borders

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Covid must hate indoor pubs in the north if he stops at the many borders

"Why is a country ahead of us in vaccinations, which has lead to lower cases and incidence rates than us, opening ahead of us”

It just doesn't make sense.......

"Why is a country ahead of us in vaccinations, which has lead to lower cases and incidence rates than us, opening ahead of us”

It just doesn't make sense.......

We have 45% of adults vaccinated.

Boris laid out the exit plan for the UK when they had far less than this percentage done. It must have been Feb or early March. He included a date that everything- masks, social distance, nightclubs, gigs, capacity sports grounds, would be, all going well, back in contention (June 21st I think?)

We are at nearly 50% vaccinated and we have to wait until at least Friday to find out if we might be allowed into certain pubs for under 2 hours.

• Advertisement

Would pubs wanting 1 metre gaps to get more people in be allowed put up plastic seperation screens out of interest? Having to research which pubs will allow you stay longest is Peak Irish Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Would pubs wanting 1 metre gaps to get more people in be allowed put up plastic seperation screens out of interest? Having to research which pubs will allow you stay longest is Peak Irish Covid.

Ventilation indoors could be as good as outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Back to that absolute sh*t of being ran after 105 minutes

Yeah like why do we have to suffer through time limits ?

Hard to see the government not going for this either

We have 45% of adults vaccinated.

Boris laid out the exit plan for the UK when they had far less than this percentage done. It must have been Feb or early March. He included a date that everything- masks, social distance, nightclubs, gigs, capacity sports grounds, would be, all going well, back in contention (June 21st I think?)

We are at nearly 50% vaccinated and we have to wait until at least Friday to find out if we might be allowed into certain pubs for under 2 hours.

1. England, not the UK, NI, Scotland and Wales had very similar rollout timelines to us.

2. Then he immediately **** himself when the Indian variant appeared, doubling down with the alleged "thousands of dead bodies pile up" comments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement