Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah like why do we have to suffer through time limits ?

Hard to see the government not going for this either

Ask the publicans who proposed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Was in Newry today for a few pints myself, more people from the Republic in the bar than Northerners. LH and D cars everywhere.

No MH Meath cars? closer to border than dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

hynesie08 wrote: »
    1. England, not the UK, NI, Scotland and Wales had very similar rollout timelines to us.

2. Then he immediately **** himself when the Indian variant appeared, doubling down with the alleged "thousands of dead bodies pile up" comments.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to grasp that our timeline on reopening broadly will match the UK in terms of pubs opening outdoor v population vaccinated and then indoor v population vaccinated.

We're about 6 weeks behind the UK in terms of vaccination, the timelines are very similar.

Some will just moan for the sake of it. Booked my slot in the beer garden today, looking forward to it, couldn't be bothered with takeaway pints. Couldn't care less about time limits, the €9 meal gone is the the big one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'm not sure how difficult it is to grasp that our timeline on reopening broadly will match the UK in terms of pubs opening outdoor v population vaccinated and then indoor v population vaccinated.

We're about 6 weeks behind the UK in terms of vaccination, the timelines are very similar.

Some will just moan for the sake of it. Booked my slot in the beer garden today, looking forward to it, couldn't be bothered with takeaway pints.

The UK had crowds indoors at the snooker championship 2 weeks ago and 10k fans outdoor this week, do you really think in 4 weeks we will have crowds at indoor sporting events? we wont even be allowed inside a restaurant for possibly 8 more weeks

Some will just moan for the sake of it. Booked my slot in the beer garden today, looking forward to it, couldn't be bothered with takeaway pints.

The UK are absolutely smashing the vaccine rollout, cannot give them enough credit, but England's reopening plan was clearly an exercise in dock swinging that has lucked out. NI Scotland and Wales have not announced a return to full stadiums, nightclubs or concerts yet. Other than announcing outdoor and indoor reopening together (at a gap we're almost certain to replicate) we're almost exactly on par.

mightyreds wrote: »
    The UK had crowds indoors at the snooker championship 2 weeks ago and 10k fans outdoor this week, do you really think in 4 weeks we will have crowds at indoor sporting events? we wont even be allowed inside a restaurant for possibly 8 more weeks

Try again.

Read the post... I said the timelines for reopening of outdoor drinking compared to percentage vaccinated and then indoor pubs compared to percentage vaccinated is similar, take a look at NI, Scotland and Wales in terms of what service they opened coupled with percentage of population vaccinated at the time of reopening. I didn't compare other openings.

Separately to answer your point not relating to pubs, Do I think we'll have people at trial events in 4 weeks time, the end of the June, yeah I do. Why do I say that, well because I know of people involved in a venue in Dublin who've been asked to prepare for a test event to take place by end of June.

The UK are absolutely smashing the vaccine rollout, cannot give them enough credit, but England's reopening plan was clearly an exercise in dock swinging that has lucked out. NI Scotland and Wales have not announced a return to full stadiums, nightclubs or concerts yet. Other than announcing outdoor and indoor reopening together (at a gap we're almost certain to replicate) we're almost exactly on par.

Yeah they managed the pandemic itself badly, but credit where its due on the rollout.

Read the post... I said the timelines for reopening of outdoor drinking compared to percentage vaccinated and then indoor pubs compared to percentage vaccinated is similar, take a look at NI, Scotland and Wales in terms of what service they opened coupled with percentage of population vaccinated at the time of reopening. I didn't compare other openings.

Separately to answer your point not relating to pubs, Do I think we'll have people at trial events in 4 weeks time, the end of the June, yeah I do. Why do I say that, well because I know of people involved in a venue in Dublin who've been asked to prepare for a test event to take place by end of June.

So the UK excluding England we're talking about

So the UK excluding England we're talking about

You keep mentioning UK, the timelines for what opened when are different in each country.

Another poster has also pointed out the difference.

The common denominator though is they all opened outdoor and indoor hospitality as similar vaccination rates. Based on vaccination rates our opening time is very similar. Its not that hard to grasp, they're ahead of us in vaccinations hence things open earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Exactly. It is clear as day there are people in our ruling class who are enjoying the misery.

You keep mentioning UK, the timelines for what opened when are different in each country.

Another poster has also pointed out the difference.

The common denominator though is they all opened outdoor and indoor hospitality as similar vaccination rates. Based on vaccination rates our opening time is very similar.

You mentioned the UK in your first post I just highlighted what was happening in part of the UK, it wasn't clear you were talking about just Wales or Scotland.

And your right we are probably 6 weeks behind NI but not England I reckon possibly 10 or more weeks behind.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 Mick the irishman

Dickie10 wrote: »
    No MH Meath cars? closer to border than dubs

There was indeed, was plenty more LH and D ones around the Buttercrane and Quays shopping centres so thats why i said them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

Be like the 12 pubs of Christmas.

I don't think the government have a notion of what really goes on do they.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I know everyone made fun of the €9 substantial meal requirement, but there was a modicum of logic that it could discourage pub crawls. Obviously we all know how that worked out. Not at all.

To think time limits won't encourage pub crawls would be very naive, I really don't see how that will make a difference. And the guardi coming into pubs to tell customers they are 0.9 metres apart at their table and fining them on the spot? Yeah, don't see that happening....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Back to that absolute sh*t of being ran after 105 minutes

I'd say they just enforced on you because you were on a moan about something else :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yeah like why do we have to suffer through time limits ?Hard to see the government not going for this either

105 minutes and 1 or 2m distance is plucked out of the air, 5 mins indoors even 10m apart could mean you would potentially be exposed to the virus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Saw the guidelines posted on Twitter by Gavin Reilly or the like and didn’t seem to be a mention of time limits so maybe/hopefully scrapped.

Degag wrote: »
    Saw the guidelines posted on Twitter by Gavin Reilly or the like and didn’t seem to be a mention of time limits so maybe/hopefully scrapped.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1397507183030509575?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Degag wrote: »

No time limit if the pub can keep the tables 2 MTRS apart, otherwise it's 1 hr 45 mins and you're kicked out. We truly are a shower of idiots in this country.

No time limit if the pub can keep the tables 2 MTRS apart, otherwise it's 1 hr 45 mins and you're kicked out. We truly are a shower of idiots in this country.

Exactly! Though if it's 1.8 apart you can stay for 2hrs5mins! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Guessing post gig pints are a thing of the past

11pm last orders

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

How's that going to be policed though, let's be honest. Are the Gardai really going to go into a pub with a measuring tape

*Oh, that's only 1.25 metres, get out*

It's essentially unenforceable and everyone knows it.

I hate this idea of guidelines with little ifs, ands or buts in certain circumstances, it's what we have always done throughout the pandemic.

You can't do this unless X - but you can do it if Y. The substantial meal was another example of this nonsense.

Same with the disastrous levels idea which became level 3.45670 by the end it was so broken.

11pm last orders

Did you expect a full late bar in July when places reopened initially ?

Pretty sure the conversation on closing time was had on this thread recently.

Yet you've somehow come up with the above & what gigs do you plan on going to in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Even expanding out to 12 would have made a big difference

Last order at 12 place cleared by 12.30

All the 11 o'clock last orders will do is encourage house parties

• Advertisement

11pm last orders

What gigs are you going to in the next 6 weeks.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Even expanding out to 12 would have made a big difference

Last order at 12 place cleared by 12.30

All the 11 o'clock last orders will do is encourage house parties

And a 12:30 clearing wont ? If people are going to have a house party an hour isn't going to make a difference realistically, if your out for the night, 11.30 or 12.30 whats the difference. The off licence will be long closed so the house is stocked up regardless of the time

It would make a difference to some groups

12.30 was the traditional closing time for non late bars

unless you wanted to go to a late bar or a nightclub that was it

I can only speak for my peer group but many times we'd happily go home once our local closed

We didn't go out much last year but definitely 11.30 closing time would seem to be a waste of a night out

It will definitely encourage more house parties

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    It would make a difference to some groups

12.30 was the traditional closing time for non late bars

unless you wanted to go to a late bar or a nightclub that was it

I can only speak for my peer group but many times we'd happily go home once our local closed

We didn't go out much last year but definitely 11.30 closing time would seem to be a waste of a night out

It will definitely encourage more house parties

Where you going to get the drink for the house party at half 11?

What gigs are you going to in the next 6 weeks.

It's quite possible the 11pm last orders will stay in place for the rest of the year and there might (very very big might) be gigs back by Autumn/Winter

• Advertisement

It's quite possible the 11pm last orders will stay in place for the rest of the year and there might (very very big might) be gigs back by Autumn/Winter

So, they're going to allow 2-15,000 people cram into a sweatbox, but will still be insisting on restrictions in pub?

I'm going to swing towards a no on that one.

Younger groups seem to order on dial a drink or similar just before 10 deadline

Or like Stephens said some houses will be stocked up anyway

By closing earlier they're encouraging people to go to lesser controlled environments afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Very intelligent virus this covid .. knows how long you stay in the pub, becomes more virulent after 11pm..... Truly a marvel of Chinese engineering.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Carry out from the pub you have been in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

11pm last orders
    Ah come off it. Look, no body is overly happening with these restrictions but things are improving, and all this is temporary. When gigs are back, restrictions on pubs will be minimal/non-existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What’s the story up north ? Going to be in Derry in June . Do u have to order food if sitting inside and do they have the time limit like we will have here ?

Ah come off it. Look, no body is overly happening with these restrictions but things are improving, and all this is temporary. When gigs are back, restrictions on pubs will be minimal/non-existent.

Don't waste your time, forever creating hypothetical situations & getting worked up over them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

fin12 wrote: »
    What’s the story up north ? Going to be in Derry in June . Do u have to order food if sitting inside and do they have the time limit like we will have here ?

Wondering this myself. Supposed to be heading up for June weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Time limits are a load of crap and are and will be only enforced in city centre pubs n restaurants where it’s just pure greed and want to ram food back ur throat. . If ur a resident in a hotel they will let u stay at bar all night and a lot of country pubs won’t give a shi$t either . Ur find plenty that will even allow u to walk up and order it drink from pub, all those situations happened to me last year so I’d take all these guidelines with a pinch of salt.

When is live music due to be back? September? The Arts industry like Aviation/Hospitality/Tourism have been on their knees for over 1 year now..

• Advertisement

As I expected, what was announced today for indoor pubs might last only a few short weeks or not even be in place at all come July.

"Government sources have confirmed to The Journal that there is a possibility of easing some of these rules come July or August when it is expected that indoor dining can resume.

“I don’t think these regulations are the final word for summer 2021,” said one source on the release of the guidelines today.

https://twitter.com/christinafinn8/status/1397575873843314690?s=19

fin12 wrote: »
    Time limits are a load of crap and are and will be only enforced in city centre pubs n restaurants where it’s just pure greed and want to ram food back ur throat..

The Infamous D2 Berlin Bar got nabbed by two undercover Customs officers for letting them stay over the 105min time limit by issuing a new till receipt, and have now been shutdown by the court... so don't think it's greed.

As I expected, what was announced today for indoor pubs might last only a few short weeks or not even be in place at all come July.

"Government sources have confirmed to The Journal that there is a possibility of easing some of these rules come July or August when it is expected that indoor dining can resume.

“I don’t think these regulations are the final word for summer 2021,” said one source on the release of the guidelines today.

https://twitter.com/christinafinn8/status/1397575873843314690?s=19

But......but.......nphet.

Oh wait.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1397573958698995724?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I assume we can’t sit at the bar even if every second seat is closed off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I assume we can’t sit at the bar even if every second seat is closed off?

Hard to know. Should be ok if we're vaccinated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Saw that a bar in Dublin lost its licence over Covid regulation breaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

saabsaab wrote: »
    Hard to know. Should be ok if we're vaccinated..

It’s been so long since I could sit in my spot at the bar....

Some indoor places can make use of the bar area for seating from the corners by putting up plastic screens facing the bar but those seats are like gold and are always taking

Lets hope places go the 2m table route and maybe have areas for 1/2 people instead of 1 person taking up a 6 seater table

Here's a mad question.

Most pubs would be a mix even before this. Some parts 1 metre, a few booths with high glass partitions which all but separate you from the folks in the next one.

How does this one work out?

Then you have places like Wetherspoons where by and large tables were always 2 plus metres apart anyway.

• Advertisement

There is actually something that came across my mind there today.

NPHET have never, ever agreed strongly with pubs opening in any way shape or form.

Not in July, when we had them until, what, October. They dragged their heels, then put in the most idiotic of rules to try and dissuade people from going anyway (food, time limits).

If NPHET had their way, we would not have had a single draught pint in our hands for a single day since mid March 2020. By July that would be 16 months, and let's be honest they'd love to not open it in July either.

In April 2020 Simon Harris gave an interview, behind a bleedin paywall, to the Indo where he stated that he thought pubs wouldn't be able to operate until a vaccine was available.

If you recall that far back, the general consensus was that a vaccine, between development, testing and so on, was at best 3 to 4 years away. Some predicted there might never be one.

So just for clarity, our health minister stated that in his view the people of Ireland would probably not get to have a night out until some point in 2023 or 2024, and that was pretty much tough shyt as far as he was concerned, three years without a night out, just go with the flow, hold firm, we're all in this together.

Comments like that are a terrifying insight into the minds of these people. By my count, we have had 3.5 months, about 14 weekends, of some degree of indoor pub access since mid March last year. I would be fairly sure that it must rank among the lowest in the Western world, and that it had the most bizarre rules when it was allowed.

Advertisement