Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Why are failte Ireland in charge of the covid safety protocols for reopening? Incredulously they are still talking about rigorous cleaning details and 2m distance instead of about ventilation and air changes.

Im not sure if it's just pure stupidity or they know it's too expensive to ventilate, so they're playing out this cleaning charade again to keep up appearances.

There is actually something that came across my mind there today.

NPHET have never, ever agreed strongly with pubs opening in any way shape or form.

Not in July, when we had them until, what, October. They dragged their heels, then put in the most idiotic of rules to try and dissuade people from going anyway (food, time limits).

If NPHET had their way, we would not have had a single draught pint in our hands for a single day since mid March 2020. By July that would be 16 months, and let's be honest they'd love to not open it in July either.

In April 2020 Simon Harris gave an interview, behind a bleedin paywall, to the Indo where he stated that he thought pubs wouldn't be able to operate until a vaccine was available.

If you recall that far back, the general consensus was that a vaccine, between development, testing and so on, was at best 3 to 4 years away. Some predicted there might never be one.

So just for clarity, our health minister stated that in his view the people of Ireland would probably not get to have a night out until some point in 2023 or 2024, and that was pretty much tough shyt as far as he was concerned, three years without a night out, just go with the flow, hold firm, we're all in this together.

Comments like that are a terrifying insight into the minds of these people. By my count, we have had 3.5 months, about 14 weekends, of some degree of indoor pub access since mid March last year. I would be fairly sure that it must rank among the lowest in the Western world, and that it had the most bizarre rules when it was allowed.

And rightly so. Pubs were way too dangerous to open then. Its hopefully a different story now in July with vaccines.

Failte irelands shoddy covid safety plan does not have me brimming with confidence though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Is there any prospect of TV's being widespread in any of these canopy areas for the Euros, and where?

Trying to think where I've watched a match somewhat outdoors.

The Living Room
    Possibly the Back Page, there would be a vagueness as to whether this is stirtly outdoor legally in my memory
    The Church or whatever it's called these days, beside Jervis, fairly sure had them during the WC. Not my favourite spot, fairly sure it's all craft beers apart from, for some reason, Stella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Why are failte Ireland in charge of the covid safety protocols for reopening? Incredulously they are still talking about rigorous cleaning details and 2m distance instead of about ventilation and air changes.

Im not sure if it's just pure stupidity or they know it's too expensive to ventilate, so they're playing out this cleaning charade again to keep up appearances.

That waa shown to be a most important step. Surely it wouldn't be too expensive to open doors and windows? Some bars had air systems in before the smoking ban. Maybe a fan or two as well.

And rightly so. Pubs were way too dangerous to open then. Its hopefully a different story now in July with vaccines.

Failte irelands shoddy covid safety plan does not have me brimming with confidence though.

Pubs were not too dangerous to open in July.

They weren't even too dangerous to open at Christmas. The virus was re imported by London based Irish ex pats because that useless coont Mehole couldn't be bothered stopping them and he thought politely asking them to spend their entire holiday in a bedroom on their own would do enough to stop it spreading. 95% UK variant by mid January- put simply, all those days we had 8000 cases, we would have had circa 800. The weeks and weeks and weeks we hovered between 500 to 700, we would have had around 25 to 35 per day.

I'd like to see one party advocating for his prosecution for what happened there.

• Advertisement

Pubs were not too dangerous to open in July.

They weren't even too dangerous to open at Christmas. The virus was re imported by London based Irish ex pats because that useless coont Mehole couldn't be bothered stopping them and he thought politely asking them to spend their entire holiday in a bedroom on their own would do enough to stop it spreading. 95% UK variant by mid January- put simply, all those days we had 8000 cases, we would have had circa 800. The weeks and weeks and weeks we hovered between 500 to 700, we would have had around 25 to 35 per day.

I'd like to see one party advocating for his prosecution for what happened there.

You're kidding me right? Even tthe most witless dolts on here recognized the dangers of indoor hospitality since Christmas. Its probably the riskiest scenario right up there with house parties.

Pubs have been too risky since this pandemic began. Vaccines will mitigate it somewhat but they will always be one of the most likely places you will catch this virus due to its nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully it will be different this time round but it can be quite humiliating and frustrating going from place to place trying to find a pub with room

I know it always existed esp for weekend/match days/nights but back then standing space was a option where now its def not

Before the usual suspects come along criticize me, everyone has there own option and personal effect from all this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If only there was a handheld communication device with which you could contact places to check their availability and perhaps even book a spot.......

I might invent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The balls on Jay Bourke and the Berlin D2 Bar with this part
    there was a "scheme" in place to breach guidelines, after undercover custom officers visited Berlin D2 the following month

That clown Jess Brennan (the event's promoter) should've been arrested for the first incident

Dublin’s Berlin D2 bar, which breached public health guidelines during a “boozy brunch” event in August last year, has effectively been shut down.

A District Court judge has ruled against renewing any of the Dame Lane venue's four licenses.

Judge Marie Quirke said the venue's conduct was "neglectful, irresponsible" & "disorderly." She said although there was a public apology after the brunch, there was a "scheme" in place to breach guidelines, after undercover custom officers visited Berlin D2 the following month.

The judge said she had considered "all other alternatives" but found the necessary order to make was to refuse Trillium Leisure Ltd's application to renew all four of its licenses for Berlin D2, which includes a dance and public music and singing license.

https://twitter.com/DebsNaylor/status/1397548737224925184

. Vaccines will mitigate it somewhat but they will always be one of the most likely places you will catch this virus due to its nature.

So?

NPHET likes to throw in death figures from months ago, I would wager we have probably passed the point now where essentially nobody further in Ireland will die from Covid (due to creative accounting it wasn't particularly many people to begin with)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Any chance the government and NPHET could now feck right off and stop trying to micro manage our lives? Is there no end to this bull****?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

The other side for balance...c. 7400 pubs in Ireland ..think of all the ones who abided by the guidelines...wish they would get as much publicity from the media.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Any chance the government and NPHET could now feck right off and stop trying to micro manage our lives? Is there no end to this bull****?

As much as I revile Holohan, the government have effectively been a doormat. MM is the most spineless and insipid leader in history of state. Buck ultimately stops with him, he could send NPHET packing tomorrow but is terrified to hold a single opinion. Only covering his own hide, one eye on the pension. The mickey mouse charade stretches on, people are supposed to be grateful for opportunity to book pints & drink outside in the rain. Laughing stock of Europe we are.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If only there was a handheld communication device with which you could contact places to check their availability and perhaps even book a spot.......

I might invent one.

Not all places will bother answering there phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The Infamous D2 Berlin Bar got nabbed by two undercover Customs officers for letting them stay over the 105min time limit by issuing a new till receipt, and have now been shutdown by the court... so don't think it's greed.
    I can't figure out why revenue/customs are out enforcing covid health restrictions. How is that part of their remit?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not all places will bother answering there phone

Facebook messenger, email, online reservation system.......

You're just making up excuses now.

I can't figure out why revenue/customs are out enforcing covid health restrictions. How is that part of their remit?

If the till receipt was for chicken wings but they were getting 2 pints, revenue wouldn't smile too kindly on that.

(Not saying that's what happened here)

same goes, not all places will get back to you

seriously what's your issue with me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Not every pub for example in the country(especially down country) has a phone anymore and not all people for example of a certain age may be aufait with tech... for example take two elders in our family..one doesnt know even how to text let alone email...the other is totally computer literate...not saying that is this case here... should they have to ring us younger ones constantly when they have to book something..that is taking their independance away and by the way even before covid many places would avoid trying to take reservations for a solitary diner.

There are also people with disabilitys..like hard of hearing, visuslly impaired...maybe a lisp or stutter or just nervous or shy ..a language difficulty or on the autism spectrum or not even able to read or write and communication via phone or the internet is difficult. Technology isnt necessarily the be all and end all of everything.

And who is to say someone is making up excuses or not when you(talking generaly)are not walking in their shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

You're kidding me right? Even tthe most witless dolts on here recognized the dangers of indoor hospitality since Christmas. Its probably the riskiest scenario right up there with house parties.

Pubs have been too risky since this pandemic began. Vaccines will mitigate it somewhat but they will always be one of the most likely places you will catch this virus due to its nature.
    Understatement of the year. Vaccines are practically eliminating the risk of serious illness/death from the disease. So the "risk" is nonexistent once we're vaccinated. Time to move on and stop the incessant hysteria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The Infamous D2 Berlin Bar got nabbed by two undercover Customs officers for letting them stay over the 105min time limit by issuing a new till receipt, and have now been shutdown by the court... so don't think it's greed.

There’s pubs who will only take bookings where people will / have to order food so yes that is pure greed, then it’s in a pubs interest like that to hunt u out the door after 2 hours and have the next group lined up that will also be forced to buy food, wake up. Takeaway cocktails being changed €11.50 a pop. This is what they do in this country they rob u blind whatever chance u get. Look at the hotel prices through the roof.

I’m not going to any pub that tries to force food back my throat and if I have to give up a booking , I will.

There’s a publican down here in Cork who has literally come out and said the day of going to pub and just ordering drinks is gone, it’s all about the food. Ya u can see where this is going, his pub will only take bookings where u have to order food. Well u know what he’ll be glad to welcome just the drinkers back in a few months.

190878044_1905182919643898_4243289471758086180_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Xv_7aZwUmWIAX_aRPHY&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=219a450a733304cc04e0f79b9373eeb1&oe=60D3FB65

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Supposed to be going to Belfast on the 4th but, I'm not so sure now.
    Had planned just for a night away but, two pubs are only opening until 7pm and the rest all seem booked out.

Bizarre times

Recommendations for pubs in Sligo town in June please .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

fin12 wrote: »
    There’s pubs who will only take bookings where people will / have to order food so yes that is pure greed, then it’s in a pubs interest like that to hunt u out the door after 2 hours and have the next group lined up that will also be forced to buy food, wake up. Takeaway cocktails being changed €11.50 a pop. This is what they do in this country they rob u blind whatever chance u get. Look at the hotel prices through the roof.

I’m not going to any pub that tries to force food back my throat and if I have to give up a booking , I will.

There’s a publican down here in Cork who has literally come out and said the day of going to pub and just ordering drinks is gone, it’s all about the food. Ya u can see where this is going, his pub will only take bookings where u have to order food. Well u know what he’ll be glad to welcome just the drinkers back in a few months.
    You do know the food rule is gone, right? Yes, of course there will be some gougers who will insist on food, but that will be a minority IMO. A lot of rural pubs don't even have facilities for food ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There’s pubs who will only take bookings where people will / have to order food so yes that is pure greed, then it’s in a pubs interest like that to hunt u out the door after 2 hours and have the next group lined up that will also be forced to buy food, wake up. Takeaway cocktails being changed €11.50 a pop. This is what they do in this country they rob u blind whatever chance u get. Look at the hotel prices through the roof.I’m not going to any pub that tries to force food back my throat and if I have to give up a booking , I will.

I don't buy the greed thing, not saying it doesn't exist, but it's not exclusive to Pub owners.
    When you consider many pub owners who are sole traders that have been denied the ability to make a living for almost 15 months, made to take the brunt of the blame for case numbers, then I think you can be a bit more understanding towards them?
    At the end of the day they're a private Business for profit, not a public service or charity, and people can Vote with their feet.

You do know the food rule is gone, right? Yes, of course there will be some gougers who will insist on food, but that will be a minority IMO. A lot of rural pubs don't even have facilities for food ffs.

That’s my whole point , the food rule is gone yet there are pubs who will only take ur booking if u order food .

That’s my whole point , the food rule is gone yet there are pubs who will only take ur booking if u order food .

Such is the nature of a free market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

NPHET have never, ever agreed strongly with pubs opening in any way shape or form.
    Senior consultants will never agree with the lower orders getting hammered in pubs. "Gastro pubs", for which you have to reserve a table, they may have some tolerance for, but the idea of someone just wandering in off the street and ordering drink is an abhorrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There's a whole appendix covering ventilation....

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

I'm confused too. I understand that Revenue have an excise part that you must apply to for a licence.
    However, Revenue do not and should not be enforcing health laws. In a similar area, Revenue will not be allowed to inspect the kitchen for rodent droppings, nor will they be going around checking that fire escapes are unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

delricyo wrote: »
    I'm confused too. I understand that Revenue have an excise part that you must apply to for a licence.
    However, Revenue do not and should not be enforcing health laws. In a similar area, Revenue will not be allowed to inspect the kitchen for rodent droppings, nor will they be going around checking that fire escapes are unlocked?

Who said they were enforcing them?

Revenue are more than entitled to carry out investigations in their remit. If they happen to gather intelligence on other breaches of law they can report it.

What this shows is the state is willing to make an example of people who don't follow the Covid rules. Hopefully it serves as a lesson to any proprietors that plan on only paying lip service to things this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Looks like the rover will be returning, but not as we know it. The reference to volume in live music is perplexing. I hope this is not creating the space for an end to live music as we know it. time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

eddie73 wrote: »
    Looks like the rover will be returning, but not as we know it. The reference to volume in live music is perplexing. I hope this is not creating the space for an end to live music as we know it. time will tell.

Not big into live music in Pubs usually. Hard to talk and hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Indoor expected from July 5th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Good news, though why not go for 1st July, a few days is hardly going to make much difference at this stage!

Who could have predicted that.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

May God have mercy on what the population will do to those establishments.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Would make much more sense to open on the 1st and get another busy weekend's takings in. The vaccinated population isn't going to change much over the course of one weekend in early July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

marno21 wrote: »
    Would make much more sense to open on the 1st and get another busy weekend's takings in. The vaccinated population isn't going to change much over the course of one weekend in early July

There is, I suppose, a small tiny chance that the government will over rule NPHET and bring it forward to the 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

Word of caution that the overnight leaks for outdoor dining said May 24th and they ended up being a full 2 weeks later when actually announced. July 12th still possible i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That July 5th date is great an all but we’ve seen dates come and go over the past year and a half so I’m personally not get too excited until it’s actually set in stone. I’m not normally that way but this pissing pandemic has changed me in that regard. If it does come to pass I’ll make an offering to whichever god has had a hand in it, but not until then. And I realise we are in a much different place now then we were a year ago and thank **** to that but this Indian variant in the UK and boris Johnson not being as bullish as he normally is is making me wait a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Seems to be a good bit of pressure coming on over the time limit, curfew and live music decisions. I wonder will they do a u-turn on some of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mightyreds wrote: »
    Seems to be a good bit of pressure coming on over the time limit, curfew and live music decisions. I wonder will they do a u-turn on some of those.

They've already said they aren't final for July and will be reviewed in a few weeks time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i wont belive a bit of it until im in a pub drinking pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's always just six weeks away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They've already said they aren't final for July and will be reviewed in a few weeks time

Since April there’s that caveat that the next stage of reopening is dependent on how the rest goes. That’s why I’m not being overly pessimistic or overly optimistic. When it happens, it happens.

mightyreds wrote: »

Let's hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

surely live music is grand in 10 days outside in a beer garden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dickie10 wrote: »
    surely live music is grand in 10 days outside in a beer garden?

Can't happen

We lose control of ourselves once the music starts

Eat and drink in huddled whispers

• Advertisement
Advertisement