Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭MOR316

One thing that really pissed me off last year...I saw it in person and I saw people moaning about it on here...

A group of friends would be together in the pub and they might be all sat together or talking closely to one another so they could hear better or whatever.
    The next minute, some twat would go and complain to the manager about people getting too close to each other and demanded he/she do something...
    I read on here that someone left a pub in Galway as they were "disgusted" that no one was wearing a mask whilst they drank...

Man, f@ck society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Media hyperbole ramping up. Saw something today that we now have 28 more Indian cases than this time last week.

Given we have about 3000 cases per week, putting that the Indian variant is less than 1% of it wouldn't have the same headline impact.

15% of our population are fully vaccinated. Nearly all elderly people will be 2nd dosed in the next few weeks.

Media are still keeping quiet on whether any elderly people in Britain who have had two vaccine doses have died or even become ill off this.

How much of this have we had- spoofery and panic over shyt that they forget about in a week when the public doesn't bite.

The South African variant. Brazil variant. Danish mink farms. Some disease in children long forgotten about.

MOR316 wrote: »
    One thing that really pissed me off last year...I saw it in person and I saw people moaning about it on here...

A group of friends would be together in the pub and they might be all sat together or talking closely to one another so they could hear better or whatever.
    The next minute, some twat would go and complain to the manager about people getting too close to each other and demanded he/she do something...
    I read on here that someone left a pub in Galway as they were "disgusted" that no one was wearing a mask whilst they drank...

Man, f@ck society

Unfortunately thats the sh!t we are dealing with in this country and will have to for another while. Too many clowns like that in this country. People cant mind there own business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

I member when I thought the Russians were gonna drop an atomic on dublin because we could sneak an English sub in our harbor. Now it's the variants.

If I could offer one piece of advise to the kids coming up behind me, it's, relax things are not as ****e as the news tells you. You'll really be grand. That's it. Go forth and have as much fun as possible. I know I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

emo72 wrote: »
    I member when I thought the Russians were gonna drop an atomic on dublin because we could sneak an English sub in our harbor. Now it's the variants.

If I could offer one piece of advise to the kids coming up behind me, it's, relax things are not as ****e as the news tells you. You'll really be grand. That's it. Go forth and have as much fun as possible. I know I will.

This immediately came to my mind

oWArFHP2HN7W.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭purplefields

eddie73 wrote: »
    Looks like the rover will be returning, but not as we know it. The reference to volume in live music is perplexing. I hope this is not creating the space for an end to live music as we know it. time will tell.

I hope this isn't going to become the new €9 meal.

My guess is that with loud music, people have to speak louder, or shout.
    This increases risk by exhaling more disease.

Well, they did try to get rid of sex last year, recommending to do it online or over the phone instead so...

Nothing would surprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yea it's hilarious! "Only in Ireland"....

Without live music in all the towns/tourist areas, going to the pub will be a fairly sanitized experience, most people probably won't even stay for the 105 mins anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

MOR316 wrote: »
    Well, they did try to get rid of sex last year, recommending to do it online or over the phone instead so...

Nothing would surprise me

I think it was ok over 2 metres with masks. Outside,of course.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    I think it was ok over 2 metres with masks. Outside,of course.

You can't get fingers long enough to...

I've said too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

You guessed right. That is the reason apparently.
    Difficulty I see with this is that when things return to normal, there will be a call to keep the lid on volume, which is good to a point. The difficulty I have with this is 3 fold.
    1 What constitutes "loud"
    2 A certain type of person will complain regardless if it is loud or not.
    3 Do you appease one table and insist on turning the volume down when the rest of the bar is swinging?

Dealing with them one by one,
    1 A limiter should be calibrated by a sound engineer rather than a barman or manager. For instance, a lawn mower would sound very loud if you were next to it, similarly with speakers and music.
    2 This point speaks for itself. They will be out in force to get their pound of flesh.
    3 This is going to happen and if the law or regulations favour them, it will mean an end to live music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

2ndcoming wrote: »
    No one over about 23 enjoys a packed pub. Busy hell yes, but sardines hell no. Reminds me of Space and Amnesia in Ibiza. No thanks.

I'm near 30 and can't wait to be squeezed into one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I'm near 30 and can't wait to be squeezed into one :pac:

im 37 and love nothing more than squeezing into a bar or some hopping spot like pubs of galway on race week! looks like the GALWAY RACES is back on for 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Lads,
    Are the pubs in Hotels allowed serve drink on the June bank holiday?

Cona44 wrote: »
    Lads,
    Are the pubs in Hotels allowed serve drink on the June bank holiday?

for residents only AFAIK

You go to love Ireland for its logic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

PTH2009 wrote: »
    for residents only AFAIK

You go to love Ireland for its logic
    Are hotels allowed any 'residents' yet..? :confused:

PommieBast wrote: »
    Are hotels allowed any 'residents' yet..? :confused:

Only essential guests

Non essential from 2nd June

Surly places will have music on in the background like last time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Surly places will have music on in the background like last time

Yeah absolutely

Yeah absolutely

Remember last year sitting outside in the freezing cold with Spotify on my phone. A bit of background music never hurt anyone

Surly the normal night out experience will have to come back when say 90% of the population is fully vaccinated and we don't have a massive variant emerge. They cant keep this cautious approach forever considering the past which had it issues but nothing major

• Advertisement

Remember last year sitting outside in the freezing cold with Spotify on my phone. A bit of background music never hurt anyone

Surly the normal night out experience will have to come back when say 90% of the population is fully vaccinated and we don't have a massive variant emerge. They cant keep this cautious approach forever considering the past which had it issues but nothing major

Ah yeah there was always a bit of background music when I was out.

As for the normal night out, yeah it'll be back. It'll take a while but it'll be back, we're getting there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Only essential guests

Non essential from 2nd June

The essential workers thing seems easy enough to get.
    Friend of mine is booking us into a hotel on thursday as essential guests for a bit of golf, dinner and pinting.
    Runs his own business, but I cant see how its in any way essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

robbiezero wrote: »
    The essential workers thing seems easy enough to get.
    Friend of mine is booking us into a hotel on thursday as essential guests for a bit of golf, dinner and pinting.
    Runs his own business, but I cant see how its in any way essential.

Non essential guests can stay from Wednesday so it's perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes it seems all is good to go next weekend. I have 3 nights booked in Cork next weekend so I booked dinner for each evening. I asked if I need to book a table in the bar for later and I was told they were not that busy so it will be grand

I went to the barber on Thursday expecting to have to make appointment. Walked in and straight into the chair
    I was only his 4th customer that day at 1pm

It seems everyone is still in their bunkers............

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yes it seems all is good to go next weekend. I have 3 nights booked in Cork next weekend so I booked dinner for each evening. I asked if I need to book a table in the bar for later and I was told they were not that busy so it will be grand

You would hope and imagine that unless a hotel was under pressure to turn over tables then they'll let you drink away as long as you want. Although i rang two hotels in recent days. One was steadfast that the 1.75 hour limit would apply. The other said we'd be grand as once it wasn't busy.

Know which one we'll be going to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Degag wrote: »
    You would hope and imagine that unless a hotel was under pressure to turn over tables then they'll let you drink away as long as you want. Although i rang two hotels in recent days. One was steadfast that the 1.75 hour limit would apply. The other said we'd be grand as once it wasn't busy.

Know which one we'll be going to!

What time on Mon 7th are bars allowed to serve outdoors

shamco wrote: »
    What time on Mon 7th are bars allowed to serve outdoors

12/12.30 i'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

not a dickie bird here in a few days , i was wondering were pubs already opened?! i guess thats a wrap on this thread so, pubs open this day next week and thats it really for restrictions,cant ever see them coming back in again now we have so many vaxxed and numbers sick have fallen off a cliff, all ended fairly quickly in the end. i think we may have coppers open by sept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Does anyone know what the opening times will be for pubs on re-opening? Can't seem to find it anywhere. May make the most of it with this earlier closing ****e :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Will the lines be cleaned? Will the pint go up? Will I know what to say to the Barman?

• Advertisement

A loving intro to Prime Time this evening, Claire Byrne glaring down the lens: "Watch out, Dr. Tony's about". G'way ta f*ck, anybody gets between me and my tall pour next Monday will be the recipient of a fist sandwich. Enough of this nanny state complex, mind your own damn business and let regulated environments take drinking off the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Neowise

Does anyone know what the opening times will be for pubs on re-opening? Can't seem to find it anywhere. May make the most of it with this earlier closing ****e :D

best guess, 9 or 10am, but some are lazy and probably wont open until midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Cork2021

A loving intro to Prime Time this evening, Claire Byrne glaring down the lens: "Watch out, Dr. Tony's about". G'way ta f*ck, anybody gets between me and my tall pour next Monday will be the recipient of a fist sandwich. Enough of this nanny state complex, mind your own damn business and let regulated environments take drinking off the street.

I saw that and switched it off, Claire Byrne has always been a trooper for NPHET and ISAG! Sharon and crimecall will have to wait until the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

Is closing time still set to be 11.30pm in July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes it is

Subject to review over the summer but if pubs/restaurants open for indoor dining then people need to be out by 11.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭aziz

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes it is

Subject to review over the summer but if pubs/restaurants open for indoor dining then people need to be out by 11.30

What a bull**** rule,so when I finish work at 11,I be lucky to get one in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Neowise

aziz wrote: »
    What a bull**** rule,so when I finish work at 11,I be lucky to get one in

I think you need to call in sick to work, and then you can make a whole day out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Bank Holiday on the Mon, should be 1230

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My biggest worry is that I may now have been institutionalized to the world of beer from cans and I may not now like the taste of the pint from the taps, it has been nearly a full year since I last had draught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My opening is in jeopardy. I just can't get staff. Previous staff suddenly don't want to work weekends and chefs are rare as hens teeth. Two waitresses told me they'll come back in September because that's when the PUP is being cut. If I don't get staff by Friday I'll be asking the wife to be a KP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

My biggest worry is that I may now have been institutionalized to the world of beer from cans and I may not now like the taste of the pint from the taps, it has been nearly a full year since I last had draught.

Like riding a bike. You’ll fall right back into it. After a half dozen, it’ll feel like you never left.

My opening is in jeopardy. I just can't get staff. Previous staff suddenly don't want to work weekends and chefs are rare as hens teeth. Two waitresses told me they'll come back in September because that's when the PUP is being cut. If I don't get staff by Friday I'll be asking the wife to be a KP

Anyone who's being offered their job back and refuses the chance to return to work is no longer able to claim PUP and their rate cuts to 203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

When that first sip passes your lips all those worries will fade away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

That's been repeated all over the country in Pubs, restaurants, retail... All the staff who through Government restrictions have all been forced to look for work in other industry or have returned back to their home country over the course of the 15 month lockdown...

Instead of the Government being so eager to cut the PUP so soon, they should increase subsidies/grants to employers until the end of the year so the business owners can try to get back to being able to pay all the bills, staff included, and a rates cut until year end also..
    Otherwise like everything else with this Governments handling of the Pandemic will be a failure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Are there many pubs allowing people to use their toilets ? I was around St Anne street and was looking to order a pint from a non-named bar, there was two taps outside (Guinness and Hop House) but i was waved inside for some reason. Turns out the pub were allowing people to use their toilets. Now, if you know this location you'll know there's a lane behind the bar which turned into an ocean of urine and excrement over the weekend so I can see why they would open the toilets on the Q/T to prevent this. There are pockets of the city centre that have become an open sewer.

Anyone know how wide spread this nod and wink toilet opening is ? I've kept away from the pubs due to the toilet situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Are there many pubs allowing people to use their toilets ? I was around St Anne street and was looking to order a pint from a non-named bar, there was two taps outside (Guinness and Hop House) but i was waved inside for some reason. Turns out the pub were allowing people to use their toilets. Now, if you know this location you'll know there's a lane behind the bar which turned into an ocean of urine and excrement over the weekend so I can see why they would open the toilets on the Q/T to prevent this. There are pockets of the city centre that have become an open sewer.

Anyone know how wide spread this nod and wink toilet opening is ? I've kept away from the pubs due to the toilet situation.

Not in the city centre but yes the boozer that was serving take away pints also had a toilet open... it saved me having to walk the 2km to go to my own home toilet.

I didn't see any rivers of piss thankfully....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I remember wading through rivers of piss in Pamplona and squelching through lakes of piss at Glasto most Dub venues will let you use there facilities if you ask q/t and dont take the piss otherwise I'd walk the km to a friends venue too much CCTV intown. I cant wait to get back in (or outdoors) to the Box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That's been repeated all over the country in Pubs, restaurants, retail... All the staff who through Government restrictions have all been forced to look for work in other industry or have returned back to their home country over the course of the 15 month lockdown...
    I suspect a lot of them remember the fast one the government pulled last summer so are waiting to see if the opening up is for real this time. When it comes to any sort of planning the government is too untrustworthy.

T minus 6 Days

Heard similar during last lockdown staff wouldn’t come in so businesses had to stay closed. Very selfish that they won’t come back and yet still expect to have a job in September!! . Incidentally was getting takeaway food earlier today and saw new staff being trained up , was thinking that they were students off school or college for Summer as they looked very young.Maybe this could be an option for you to get some waiting staff. Still don’t understand how people get to stay on pup when they’ve a job to go back to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement