Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    T minus 6 Days

The excitement is real.

I'm going to have my earliest ever Sunday night in anticipation of a day event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

My biggest worry is that I may now have been institutionalized to the world of beer from cans and I may not now like the taste of the pint from the taps, it has been nearly a full year since I last had draught.

Same here. Fear I have forgotten how to drink more than a can or two as I do at home. May not take to draught again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The excitement is real.

Ill try find somewhere after Work on Monday, finished at 8pm so ill have time for a few sups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

gansi wrote: »
    Heard similar during last lockdown staff wouldn’t come in so businesses had to stay closed. Very selfish that they won’t come back and yet still expect to have a job in September!! . Incidentally was getting takeaway food earlier today and saw new staff being trained up , was thinking that they were students off school or college for Summer as they looked very young.Maybe this could be an option for you to get some waiting staff. Still don’t understand how people get to stay on pup when they’ve a job to go back to.

I was hoping to get the old staff back, and hoping they'd want to come back. I hired my friends daughter as a kp for the summer, she's 16 and delighted to have a job and didn't blink when I explained what a kitchen porters duties are. I like her attitude but hoped the older staff would be similar
    Interviewed a chef this morning, offered him 30 hours per week and €13.50 PH with the hours and money increasing once business moves indoors as well. I'll get back to you, I have to see how it affects my pup was his answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

gansi wrote: »
    Heard similar during last lockdown staff wouldn’t come in so businesses had to stay closed. Very selfish that they won’t come back and yet still expect to have a job in September!! . Incidentally was getting takeaway food earlier today and saw new staff being trained up , was thinking that they were students off school or college for Summer as they looked very young.Maybe this could be an option for you to get some waiting staff. Still don’t understand how people get to stay on pup when they’ve a job to go back to.

Selfish haha. You've obviously never worked in the hospitality trade! Staying on PUP though is another story though.

Anyway i can almost taste the pints and beer garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Have the weekend of the 11th June off work. And of course my college course decided to add a lecture for the Saturday morning, still won’t stop me going getting pished!!

Selfish haha. You've obviously never worked in the hospitality trade! Staying on PUP though is another story though.

I thought the PUP would be stopped if you refused to go back to work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It is, reduced to normal €203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It does stop in theory but how does the department of social welfare know who has turned down a return to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The excitement is real.

You will have to have the dinner at 8.30 in the morning to get a clear run of the day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It does stop in theory but how does the department of social welfare know who has turned down a return to work?

They may say it themselves or the employer may report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You will have to have the dinner at 8.30 in the morning to get a clear run of the day!!!

So we're having soup.

Then we're having roast spuds, boiled spuds, new spuds, mashed spuds.

We're having roast beef, jelly and ice-cream, sweet cake.

No tae. No wash up. Straight out the door.

I say I'll be at the pub at about 5 to.

So we're having soup.

Then we're having roast spuds, boiled spuds, new spuds, mashed spuds.

We're having roast beef, jelly and ice-cream, sweet cake.

No tae. No wash up. Straight out the door.

I say I'll be at the pub at about 5 to.

'Doctor Tony will be around'

Soakage lads/lassies you need soakage for serious day drinking!!

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Soakage lads/lassies you need soakage for serious day drinking!!

And be out of the pub at 23.30 or the virus will get you

He lurks the shores from 23.31

And be out of the pub at 23.30 or the virus will get you

He lurks the shores from 23.31

Oh fûck I’d be well home by then with my kebab beside as I fall asleep on the couch watching Jurassic park!! 😂

Did actually as a student and as a graduate when I’d no other job but needed money. Know all about the long hours and being on your feet but I’d do it again if I had to. Actually enjoyed meeting the customers and you’d definitely be fit from being on your feet. It isn’t easy but no job ever is. Staying on pup yes wrong if a job to go to.Enjoy the pints and the beer garden, only a week away now.

I was hoping to get the old staff back, and hoping they'd want to come back. I hired my friends daughter as a kp for the summer, she's 16 and delighted to have a job and didn't blink when I explained what a kitchen porters duties are. I like her attitude but hoped the older staff would be similar
    Interviewed a chef this morning, offered him 30 hours per week and €13.50 PH with the hours and money increasing once business moves indoors as well. I'll get back to you, I have to see how it affects my pup was his answer

Well she sounds like a good worker and
    starting earning as a young person is s great training, keeps people motivated and kids learn the value of money. Hope the chef comes back to you. Maybe they have their pick of the jobs now or as you say the pup or maybe some doing other jobs now hard to know.Hope things come right for you though and good luck with the reopening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

chap with a gutar playing in beer garden of my local sunday evening next week 13th, is it against the law or just advisory? or is it just indoor restrcition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Dickie10 wrote: »
    chap with a gutar playing in beer garden of my local sunday evening next week 13th, is it against the law or just advisory? or is it just indoor restrcition?

Who cares?
    Go and support your local and don't be putting them on Tictoc or worrying about the curtain twitchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im not i think its fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Unfortunately, some will see this as a net offer of €65 for a 30hr slog - and that’s before tax. PUP does have a downside. It was always going to be abused in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Can't think of many other skilled tradesmen who'd come running for 400 quid a week tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Can't think of many other skilled tradesmen who'd come running for 400 quid a week tbh.

Can't think of a single barman with any sort of experience who's still on minimum wage tbh.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Can't think of a single barman with any sort of experience who's still on minimum wage tbh.

Most they'd pull is 23K and that's been generous.

• Advertisement

Organising a get together with the lads next Monday evening, narrowed down a few likely spots and picked up the phone. "How's it going, what's the lay of the land?" "You'll have to book... " "I'll book nothing". Same response with second tap house. Third time the charm, "yeah, just show up anytime and we'll accommodate ye". Winner alright, "reserve a pint" my back passage. And let me confide in the purists among you, there'll be a keg vanquished that night. Can't bloody wait, we'll break into a ballad or two for poor Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Booked a spot in a beer garden for 8pm Saturday week, table in front of TV for the football. Asked was there a time limit. Told "Ye can stay till Tuesday if ye want". Oh to watch football with pints and mates, talking ****e, i cant wait.:)

Full of envy for all those sitting in hotel bars all over the country right now. Delighted for the staff though

Hopefully a month in a half and pubs will be hopefully back to full swing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Belfast again the weekend on the beer im getting used to it up there now it just feels like a second home now, decent bars in the town have to say and the place is lively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Dickie10 wrote: »

We have ballads this Monday afternoon and a rat pack tribute at 8. If they try close us they won't make it back out the door they came in

• Advertisement

Will hotel bars be serving outside for non residents from the 7th June ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Will hotel bars be serving outside for non residents from the 7th June ?

Why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Booked a few places myself but, I don't think it's necessary for myself. I'll be on my own. I can stand at a barrel.
    No point in one person taking up a whole table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Belfast again the weekend on the beer im getting used to it up there now it just feels like a second home now, decent bars in the town have to say and the place is lively.

Couple of mates up there last weekend, didnt get into one bar at all as they hadn't booked, no walk ins allowed anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭celt262

Couple of mates up there last weekend, didnt get into one bar at all as they hadn't booked, no walk ins allowed anywhere

Were they the lads with the fire extinguisher in the hotel?

The Local Beer Garden is the size of a soccer pitch so no booking for me.

Off for the week, major session happening on the Sunday :)

Can't wait

Are takeaway pints effectively finished from Monday ?

I know in the past you weren't allowed leave the premises with a glass but could be a different story with plastic glasses

Personally i like my pints to be strictly inside/outside a pub and not for takeaway

Are takeaway pints effectively finished from Monday ?

I know in the past you weren't allowed leave the premises with a glass but could be a different story with plastic glasses

Personally i like my pints to be strictly inside/outside a pub and not for takeaway

Nah, there'll be takeaways. Limited capacity, some places can't actually open until the 5th of July due to having no outdoor facilities...From a business perspective, it would be madness to stop doing takeaways.

Glass in beer gardens, anything outside the front door be plastic.

Glass in beer gardens, anything outside the front door be plastic.

So City and Chelsea fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Most they'd pull is 23K and that's been generous.

Ya thats not true. An experienced skilled barman will be earning a good bit more.
    What's 23k on a 40 hour week? 11 P/H or so. Maybe a young person on part time at the weekend would be on that low hourly rate but not a full time experienced barman.

Ya thats not true. An experienced skilled barman will be earning a good bit more.
    What's 23k on a 40 hour week? 11 P/H or so. Maybe a young person on part time at the weekend would be on that low hourly rate but not a full time experienced barman.

You'd be surprised. Senior barman might be on 30K in a top establishment but usually comes with a lot more responsibility like ordering stock, supervising and doing rosters.

No difference between a junior or senior bar man flogging pints or double vodkas over a counter in a pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Looking forward to Monday afternoon pints now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Just seen a pub about 15 minutes for me has posted on facebook they are open for food and drinks Monday, 50% booking and 50% walk in.
    If you book you have 105 minutes time limit if you walk in theres no time limit.
    Rules the business are making up are crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The anticipation is palpable, can't wait for next week, and apparently, we have some fine weather on the way too. Tony et al. must be raging at the gods conspiring against them!

On a more serious note, from looking on social media, it is clear the effort pubs are putting in to get back trading again. I know they have been helped by grants, etc. but some of the beer gardens and outdoor spaces I'm seeing are really impressive. Going forward, I think this will be one lasting legacy that will actually be a positive one - we will have a choice of indoor drinking (will always be my preference) or really decent outdoor space - instead of a few barrels up against a wall. It's not all bad lads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yup looks like next week is shaping up to be a warm one.

Pubs couldn't ask for better for an outdoor opening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Yup looks like next week is shaping up to be a warm one.

Pubs couldn't ask for better for an outdoor opening

Missing out on two pints worth of revenue... I'm working all week :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The anticipation is palpable, can't wait for next week, and apparently, we have some fine weather on the way too. Tony et al. must be raging at the gods conspiring against them!

On a more serious note, from looking on social media, it is clear the effort pubs are putting in to get back trading again. I know they have been helped by grants, etc. but some of the beer gardens and outdoor spaces I'm seeing are really impressive. Going forward, I think this will be one lasting legacy that will actually be a positive one - we will have a choice of indoor drinking (will always be my preference) or really decent outdoor space - instead of a few barrels up against a wall. It's not all bad lads ;)
    Persecution complex much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Just went through Connolly and there's a sign out saying the Belfast train is sold out. Bunch of hallions so ye all are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Persecution complex much?
    Ever hear of a concept called tongue-in-cheek? :rolleyes:

Advertisement