Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

seeing everyone in and outside Hotel bars is ****ing irritating, jammy bastards

Roll on next week and please god the rest of our existence. No more shutting and opening repeat repeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Missing out on two pints worth of revenue... I'm working all week :(:(:(

Don’t fret; I’ll make up for your lost contributions by 1pm...and continue my contributions way after that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The anticipation is palpable, can't wait for next week, and apparently, we have some fine weather on the way too. Tony et al. must be raging at the gods conspiring against them!

On a more serious note, from looking on social media, it is clear the effort pubs are putting in to get back trading again. I know they have been helped by grants, etc. but some of the beer gardens and outdoor spaces I'm seeing are really impressive. Going forward, I think this will be one lasting legacy that will actually be a positive one - we will have a choice of indoor drinking (will always be my preference) or really decent outdoor space - instead of a few barrels up against a wall. It's not all bad lads ;)

Ya i see a few nice new beer gardens around the place, like yourself im an inside sitting at the bar type but still be good to have the outdoors option in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    seeing everyone in and outside Hotel bars is ****ing irritating, jammy bastards

Roll on next week and please god the rest of our existence. No more shutting and opening repeat repeat

Why are you complaining when you didn't book a room?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Why are you complaining when you didn't book a room?

Shur maybe hynesie just wants to sit down somewhere an have a pint or whatever

• Advertisement

Shur maybe hynesie just wants to sit down somewhere an have a pint or whatever

Yep not everyone can afford to book a hotel room for the weekend just for a few scoops

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Couple of mates up there last weekend, didnt get into one bar at all as they hadn't booked, no walk ins allowed anywhere

thats quite the opposite to what im seeing, the only time we didnt get into a bar was the first weekend of outdoor drinking when there was long queues, the bouncer said you can wait if you want but you could waiting 2 hours or so so we found somewhere else, any other time absolutely no problems

Yep not everyone can afford to book a hotel room for the weekend just for a few scoops

The way you have been going on for the last few months, surely all the money you saved from not drinking pints would have paid for a cheap aul night or two in a lively hotel, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

havent drank a drop since october 3rd 2020. looking forward toit, although i will spend monday cruising around and seeing the set up of a few bars i visit, like i said i think i will stick to a few old man pubs , id say pints at the counter will be had in some of those next weekend if there empty no remarks passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

mightyreds wrote: »
    Just seen a pub about 15 minutes for me has posted on facebook they are open for food and drinks Monday, 50% booking and 50% walk in.
    If you book you have 105 minutes time limit if you walk in theres no time limit.
    Rules the business are making up are crazy

Makes some sense to me, theres no perfect system here so they are trying a mix. You can't guarantee people a table without time restrictions unless you're only giving the table away once a day just in case they stay all night. And some people won't go unless they know they have one. Then there are others who will chance their arm and its nice to have some tables for them too.
    Likely you won't be kicked out of your reserved table if there are still some walk ins empty but it gives them a release valve if the next people to use that table have arrived and the place is unexpectedly wedged. You can't argue as you agreed to the limit when booking, well you can argue and people being people will but at least the staff probably won't completely hate their life.

(oh and by you I mean the universal you, not you personally)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,150 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Newstalk contributor just now "people are dying for the pubs to open on Monday"
    an unfortunate way to put it

If the pubs had opened from yesterday the country would be in rumble now

Maybe that's the reason why we have to wait til Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

If the pubs had opened from yesterday the country would be in rumble now

Maybe that's the reason why we have to wait til Monday

I'm guessing you haven't been on twitter today?

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you haven't been on twitter today?

The riot police all over the streets in Dublin ?

A lot of that could of been prevented If they opened up outdoor hospitality which is a controlled environment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The riot police all over the streets in Dublin ?

A lot of that could of been prevented If they opened up outdoor hospitality which is a controlled environment

Would you really want any of those people drinking in your pub, even in a beer garden, if their response to being moved on is to hurl bottles?
    There should be no excuses made for those peoples' actions. If pubs being closed leads to you being violent towards other human beings then that's a you problem.

That said I'm looking forward to my first pint in months tomorrow and always loved bank holiday monday pints more than any other. I'm delighted to be coming to the other side of this. Hopefully get the vaccine soon and then really feel like I'm on the other side of it.

Nothing to do with pubs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Has anyone stayed in a hotel since the reopening? If so was the 105 mins thing enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Degag wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed in a hotel since the reopening? If so was the 105 mins thing enforced?

Was in westport for a couple of nights, no mention of it at all, stay as long as we like

its Like Xmas eve hopefully ill get in somewhere after work tomorrow. 8pm would be prime time so it may be tough but ill give it a go anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

its Like Xmas eve hopefully ill get in somewhere after work tomorrow. 8pm would be prime time so it may be tough but ill give it a go anyway

Make a reservation?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Make a reservation?

Not many places doing it

A lot of walk ins only in Waterford City

pjohnson wrote: »
    Make a reservation?

But then what would he complain about?

Not many places doing it

A lot of walk ins only in Waterford City

Tully's are taking bookings afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

I wonder will there be separate smoking areas? don't fancy outdoor dining if the smokers are sharing the space.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Setting off by foot at 10AM for my 5KM trek into town (will get my daily step count in as an added bonus). Have a place picked out to get myself a breakfast burrito. Pubs open at 12PM. Haven't been this excited in a long while :D

You've only had weeks to plan for this, why didnt you ring around and make a booking if you were so bothered?

You've only had weeks to plan for this, why didnt you ring around and make a booking if you were so bothered?

Things can come up

Way of life

For someone who seems obsessed with drinking, how does he not have a local taking care of him?

Part time pinter I suspect.

• Advertisement

Is it 10 o'clock the mayhem starts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm confused. Every news outlet seems be reporting a different story. I know it's all outdoors as of today but does it have to be dining or can you just go for a pint without food?

I'm confused. Every news outlet seems be reporting a different story. I know it's all outdoors as of today but does it have to be dining or can you just go for a pint without food?

Food requirement is gone. Pubs can just serve pints outdoors now. Restaurants still need to serve food with liquor but that isnt a covid requirement, that has always been the case if they wanted a liquor license (makes sense)

Where are you seeing anything else being reported?

Is it 10 o'clock the mayhem starts?

Grogans are opening at 10.30 today for the 1st time in 15 months. Wish them all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Food requirement is gone. Pubs can just serve pints outdoors now. Restaurants still need to serve food with liquor but that isnt a covid requirement, that has always been the case if they wanted a liquor license (makes sense)

Where are you seeing anything else being reported?
    Can't remember I was half asleep maybe I just read wrong there was some newspaper that kept mentioning "outdoor dining" it just came across as dining only but I said I was half asleep probably mis read it.

Grogans are opening at 10.30 today for the 1st time in 15 months. Wish them all the best.

Them and everyone else.

• Advertisement

Enjoy everyone be safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Do we know is the toastie fridge in operation, im due to swing by in the afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Pint number two after a lovely, record breaking walk into town, and a breakfast burrito for soakage.

Long day ahead

Walking around my home town, several publicans dashing to make final preparations. Saluted each one in passing, wished them all the best. They certainly need it after being a de facto whipping post for past year. Refreshing to witness such a bustling atmosphere returning, all this positivity will be anathema to the killjoys who are now stuck for a new hobby. In a matter of hours, breaking six month drought with a deluge of porter. That first sup will be pure heaven, lap it up boyos the good times are back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Can't get out today due to other commitments later on but took a spin in the car around a few of the locals to see what their arrangements were. Will definitely sample later in the week. Good luck to all returning to work/opening up today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pints are going down very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

, all this positivity will be anathema to the killjoys who are now stuck for a new hobby..

That's nearly the best part- the upset this will cause all those stinking lefties who have absolutely loved lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Nowhere apart from MickeyDs open for breakfast this morning heyhup I'm going to bed with a whisky sleeper

Do we know is the toastie fridge in operation, im due to swing by in the afternoon

I can confirm its fully stocked!

What’s it like out there in rural locations? I gave it a miss after as I was expecting something like Walmart on Black Friday but hopefully won’t be too long to get for one. The time limit should really have been left in place for the first few weeks to give everyone a chance to get in.

What’s it like out there in rural locations? I gave it a miss after as I was expecting something like Walmart on Black Friday but hopefully won’t be too long to get for one. The time limit should really have been left in place for the first few weeks to give everyone a chance to get in.

There's a Dublin city Instagram account who's story have them going around the city, seems nice and busy but not past days of Rome just yet.

The time limit should really have been left in place for the first few weeks to give everyone a chance to get in.

Either you're being naive or disingenuous. We're past the dark ages of petty time constraints, let's never contemplate them again or even deem such bullology acceptable. And before the usual suspects chime in with snarky one-liners, good luck finding a publican with a measuring tape and stopwatch. Common sense is the order of the day, enough beer gardens are open to thin out the herd. I'll be cherishing my 5/6 hours on the lash this evening, keep that till ringing...all parties are satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Unfortunately our local beer garden opened today with a booking system and time limit.

Gave it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

What’s it like out there in rural locations?

In my town none of them are open. The majority don't have the space for outdoor tables on the street or anyplace else like a beer garden, save one spot and they didn't open either, but that's fair enough, they probably adopted a community approach to all open together. A lot of them are getting work done inside the houses for next month, probably refitting them out for space or ventilation in the hope they can stay open for good.

Getting sent some lovely photos from friends who live in Dublin out having a few. Seems to be a lovely atmosphere, staff constantly on the move for the table orders, looks mighty. Hope it goes well for everybody there who went so long without the hospitality and the business.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

5 out of 11 pubs/gastro pubs have opened in my town in cork.
    I’ve a table booked in one of the pubs for 4pm Saturday!! Looking forward to it now!
    Couple of pubs are just bookings at the weekends the rest are a bit of both but better to book!

• Advertisement
Advertisement