Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,608 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I've just seen Barry Keoghan ad for reopening for Guinness, Tesco also wishing publicans good luck too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

On my first pint now

Bliss absolutely bliss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Wow. Still slightly shocked this actually happened.
    Despite a running covid average 14 times higher than this day last year when they were still being blamed, pubs finally allowed open after 15 months.

Or "bars" as RTE and the IT insisted on referring to them as.

Hope most of the remainder make it back in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

The smell of weekend p*ss aside, Dublin City centre looked and felt incredible today. Great atmosphere around the place. Fair play to all of the publicans and restauranteers who opened up, and fair play to DCC for facilitating outdoor dining en masse.

The capital really feels like another city with so many opportunities to eat and drink in the sun. I could have been fooled to think I was in Paris or Brussels with the number of terraces available. It can't last all year, of course, but long may we continue to enjoy this one enforced change from the pandemic.

By the way, I can indeed confirm that pints taste infinitely better than their bottled or canned cousins. What a day.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    On my first pint now

Bliss absolutely bliss

I was out an hour earlier than your good self, buzzing after it. Young bar manager tried to run us at 10pm, not invested with common sense. I piped up, "that's fine if you want to lose our custom permanently". He got the hint, made our exit at the midnight hour. Taxi man was in good spirits, and so he should. Hospitality reopening has significant benefits for the local economy, long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Young bar manager tried to run us at 10pm, not invested with common sense. I piped up, "that's fine if you want to lose our custom permanently"

Jaysus, whatever would they do :rollseyes:

Degag wrote: »
    Jaysus, whatever would they do :rollseyes:

I'll entertain your petty snipe, if only for my own amusement. We frequented the usual haunt last night, eight of us split between two tables. About two hundred odd went into the register. As it happens, I've known the owner for years and there is an excellent rapport. He wasn't present past night, made the mistake of installing a donkey at short notice. I got a text this morning, apologising for the confusion. All credit to him. As a regular, I've thrown many a bob behind that bar and expect a modicum of respect in return. A mutually beneficial relationship, you follow? It's a quantum leap, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Woke up sunburnt, with a hoor of a hangover, alone in my bed as the GF stayed over in her parent's house. Overturned chair in the kitchen, and a trail of coins leading to the bedroom.

Needless to say the day went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

I'll entertain your petty snipe, if only for my own amusement. We frequented the usual haunt last night, eight of us split between two tables. About two hundred odd went into the register. As it happens, I've known the owner for years and there is an excellent rapport. He wasn't present past night, made the mistake of installing a donkey at short notice. I got a text this morning, apologising for the confusion. All credit to him. As a regular, I've thrown many a bob behind that bar and expect a modicum of respect in return. A mutually beneficial relationship, you follow? It's a quantum leap, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
    200 quid between 8 of you, big spenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

30 quid a head? Jaysus he can build an extra floor on the holiday villa.

Woke up sunburnt, with a hoor of a hangover, alone in my bed as the GF stayed over in her parent's house. Overturned chair in the kitchen, and a trail of coins leading to the bedroom.

Needless to say the day went well.

Drunk me got food on the way home, and left 2 cans of coke in the fridge for sober me....... Drunk me is my favorite.

Any barman you said that to would think you are a dick though.

You might not care but that’s how it would be seen.

hynesie08 wrote: »

Another vacuous offering, could one expect any less. Two lads on driving duties, other six made the running. "Odd" indicating anywhere from 240-260, unfortunately there wasn't one accountant among us. Eight/nine jars is a flying start, in the midwest we're not charged over a fiver for Arthur.

Another vacuous offering, could one expect any less. Two lads on driving duties, other six made the running. "Odd" indicating anywhere from 240-260, unfortunately there wasn't one accountant among us. Eight/nine jars is a flying start, in the midwest we're not charged over a fiver for Arthur.
    Kanye here dropping 200 quid in a backwater hovel with his entourage :D

Degag wrote: »
    Any barman you said that to would think you are a dick though.

You might not care but that’s how it would be seen.

Personally, I couldn't give a damn about his feelings when we're contributing to his wage. I speak my piece, and if somebody doesn't like it then tough titty. Young upstart got a little belligerent last night, and I had to set him straight. Anyway we're all good pals again, looking forward to that next session already.

• Advertisement

Personally, I couldn't give a damn about his feelings when we're contributing to his wage. I speak my piece, and if somebody doesn't like it then tough titty. Young upstart got a little belligerent last night, and I had to set him straight. Anyway we're all good pals again, looking forward to that next session already.
    Ha! You’ve an awfully high opinion of yourself don’t you?

Upstart is a horrible way to refer to anyone.

Im cracking up at Berties Horses' boot-cut jeaned entourage throwing their weight around in the VIP with their €25 bar tabs, lol

You'd feel sorry for barstaff having to put up with this carry on again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

jakiah wrote: »
    Im cracking up at Berties Horses' boot-cut jeaned entourage throwing their weight around in the VIP with their €25 bar tabs, lol

Get low!!

https://youtu.be/U2waT9TxPU0

Oh dear, cringe overload. You haven't one solitary iota, that keyboard is no substitute for the real world.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    LOL

Ffs 8 of them in the pub all day and only spent 200 odd quid, boozer probably made a loss on having them there :D

• Advertisement

LOL

Ffs 8 of them in the pub all day and only spent 200 odd quid, boozer probably made a loss on having them there :D

As trolling goes, this is truly feeble stuff. Made it fairly crystal a few posts ago what time we got going last night. Off you scamper back to your crèche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

As trolling goes, this is truly feeble stuff. Made it fairly crystal a few posts ago what time we got going last night. Off you scamper back to your crèche.

Dig up.

Off you scamper back to your crèche.

I thought you didn’t like petty snipes?

D.Q wrote: »
    Dig up.

They're out in force today. Read the first line of my response to 'PTH2009', then weigh it up against the timestamp of his post. Your medal is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

A straight talkin', big spendin' VIP! My God, that bar manager must have been mortified when he realised just who you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Lads, this is ****ing sad. We should be celebrating, not taking cheap shots at each other. Anyway, it's all academic as this thread will soon become defunct as more and more pubs reopen.

They're out in force today. Read the first line of my response to 'PTH2009', then weigh it up against the timestamp of his post. Your medal is on the way.
    Settle down Kanye. Will GQ & Esquire be covering your next visit to your local?

What did I say ?

Head ****ing pounding, bloody pints ha

Tonights feed will be epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Well that was mayhem. Very successful but it was madness. Two new hires didn't show and by 4pm we were turning people away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

What did I say ?

Head ****ing pounding, bloody pints ha

Tonights feed will be epic

Fairly shook myself and I had a fair bit of practice in the last few weeks, but ya just don't do cans or takeaway pints at the same pace as actually being in a pub, ran very late, but great excitement all round.
    A mighty day.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt be minding them lads snipping at you Bertie. Probably jealous that you got out for a few pints while there missus wouldnt let them out the door :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Had a pint yesterday just past noon in Christys in Blarney. All good no rush. Bit cold though. Headed into the city and got a walk in table at the Cornstore Everyone seemed relaxed and happy to me. In work today so the beer will have to wait until Friday now
    Onwards and upwards

Is this the barrel scraping the thread is descending to now? The big fellas are back, can picture the exact type.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Anyone some experience with any of the pubs on the Green line luas heading into town from Cherrywood... Would like to know if there are some really good pubs with good outdoors up towards Ranellagh etc... Will book for the weekend if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When you hear of 8 people clogging up two tables buying very little it becomes clear why some pubs wanted bookings to stop people wasting their time. Turning paying customers away for the minimum spenders is sickening.

pjohnson wrote: »
    When you hear of 8 people clogging up two tables buying very little it becomes clear why some pubs wanted bookings to stop people wasting their time. Turning paying customers away for the minimum spenders is sickening.

The level of ignorance on display is staggering, although in your case more likely of a "wilful" variety. Eight/nine pints apparently very little in your universe, how many do you sink of a night out? My spidey senses detect a tap water and ribena merchant. The local wasn't turning away a single punter, maxed out at two-thirds capacity including social distancing. Hilarious putting on a display of faux outrage, when you were snidely knocking struggles of hospitality sector at every opportunity these past few months. "Sickening" my eye, you're as disingenuous as they come and half as clever.

Never a fan of the 'tab' system and find it easier to PAYG

Crazy to think its another month before we can sit inside a pub.

The level of ignorance on display is staggering, although in your case more likely of a "wilful" variety. Eight/nine pints apparently very little in your universe, how many do you sink of a night out? My spidey senses detect a tap water and ribena merchant. The local wasn't turning away a single punter, maxed out at two-thirds capacity including social distancing. Hilarious putting on a display of faux outrage, when you were snidely knocking struggles of hospitality sector at every opportunity these past few months. "Sickening" my eye, you're as disingenuous as they come and half as clever.

You came on here bragging about refusing to book a table, dropping 40 quid a head and giving out to the barman, and somehow still think you're the good guy. You're a blowhard, an unfortunately necessary part of the pub trade in Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

The pubs, well the one's that can, are open three days, and they're already getting the "don't you know who I am" treatment. Lovely!

• Advertisement

Never a fan of the 'tab' system and find it easier to PAYG

Crazy to think its another month before we can sit inside a pub.

It's literally the same thing.......

Ah there not

PAYG is Less hassle esp when you're 3 shapes to the wind at the end of the night and you look at the receipt then start disputing the number of pints you had

Ah there not

PAYG is Less hassle esp when you're 3 shapes to the wind at the end of the night and you look at the receipt then start disputing the number of pints you had

Oh, sorry.

It's the exact same if you're not an aggro drunk.

Oh, sorry.

It's the exact same if you're not an aggro drunk.

Lighten up will ya

Meant it as a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

going friday evening for some dinner and drinks in local hotel, this will be the first drop since october 3rd. i mean zero alcohol, even over "Christmas " the christmas they cancelled on christmas eve! Should it take be long to get in on it? will i have to watch myself?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    going friday evening for some dinner and drinks in local hotel, this will be the first drop since october 3rd. i mean zero alcohol, even over "Christmas " the christmas they cancelled on christmas eve! Should it take be long to get in on it? will i have to watch myself?

Be like riding a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It's literally a completely different thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ah there not

Anywhere I've ever worked that ran tabs I used to just bring a current tab receipt and leave it in a shot glass at your table, swapping it out if you ordered more. That way if there was an issue it could be sorted at that time rather than end of the tab. And for sure people forget how many they've had.
    Personally I kinda like the tab system as I end up with less coins in my pocket, I always forget to use them, and you're not forced into rounds so I can drink at my pace while Harry Hollowlegs beside me can rush ahead :)

MOH wrote: »
    It's literally a completely different thing :rolleyes:

It's exchanging money for drinks, no difference whatsoever.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Anywhere I've ever worked that ran tabs I used to just bring a current tab receipt and leave it in a shot glass at your table, swapping it out if you ordered more. That way if there was an issue it could be sorted at that time rather than end of the tab. And for sure people forget how many they've had.
    Personally I kinda like the tab system as I end up with less coins in my pocket, I always forget to use them, and you're not forced into rounds so I can drink at my pace while Harry Hollowlegs beside me can rush ahead :)

with the tab system its easy to forget you didn't pay and walk out of the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's exchanging money for drinks, no difference whatsoever.

There is a big difference in how and when that money is exchanged, are you taking the piss?

• Advertisement
Advertisement