Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    with the tab system its easy to forget you didn't pay and walk out of the pub

I rather pay as you go but people should be used to the concept considering that's how restaurants work not to mention so many bars across Europe that so many were used to when you could travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

with the tab system its easy to forget you didn't pay and walk out of the pub

Oh I've done it in Germany and had to come back the next day with the head hanging low :( thankfully knew the staff. It shouldn't really be an issue at the moment here with everyone seated at tables and such, staff should spot you winding down and if they're properly staffed and trained should be checking you for another pint before you're finished your last one and can sort a bill then. Not so much to catch people before they'll leave but because an empty glass is an empty till...
    If it came in here long term people would adopt, it is how north america and lots of europe do it and if they can manage it so can we. In the end though I don't see it happening here, it doesn't work with our lively weekend bars and I'd like to see them back eventually. And it costs more to have staff running back and forth from tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Has anybody told Tony that it is now nearly two weeks since he warned us of impending Armageddon because on a Saturday night (or was it Friday) he saw town thronged with youngsters, and given the weather since that time and given that drinking and revelry isn't a Dublin only persuit, we can only assume it happened in dozens of towns, hundreds of villages, thousands of back gardens, involing five, six figure sums of people?

We were due our kick in the arse from the revelry by now yet the last while there's been some staggeringly low daily figures outside of the usual circa 450 per day. I believe it was in the high 200s the other day.

Any comment from the commander?

RTE tonight saying Indian variant is now 25% of N.I numbers (very low numbers at that mind) and they fear it could hit 1200 per day there by early July (why this matters when absolutely everyone who could be in any way killed by it will, or already is, fully vaccinated well before then, nobody cared to tell us)

I still wouldn't rule out the powers that be ruling that this somehow matters to us down here when it inevitably starts spreading here and therefore we can't open the pubs come July 5th.

Something RTE refused to mention- of 9427 Indian variant cases in the UK between Feb and May 31st, 2.8% were of people who had two jab doses.

267 people. That's not 267 people who got ill, or died, or whatever, that's 267 people who merely tested positive.

Funny how this little factoid isn't broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

RTE tonight saying Indian variant is now 25% of N.I numbers (very low numbers at that mind) and they fear it could hit 1200 per day there by early July (why this matters when absolutely everyone who could be in any way killed by it will, or already is, fully vaccinated well before then, nobody cared to tell us)

I still wouldn't rule out the powers that be ruling that this somehow matters to us down here when it inevitably starts spreading here and therefore we can't open the pubs come July 5th.

Something RTE refused to mention- of 9427 Indian variant cases in the UK between Feb and May 31st, 2.8% were of people who had two jab doses.

267 people. That's not 267 people who got ill, or died, or whatever, that's 267 people who merely tested positive.

It's only a factoid when you tell it your way. I'll leave you to google what factoid means. All 9427 cases tested positive, otherwise they wouldn't be cases. We've had over a year of this sh1t, so that shouldn't be news.

What the English media source you got that from were trying to get across was either that 97.2% were younger people who would not yet have had 2 jabs, or possibly they were having a pop at the lower rates of vaccine uptake in deprived / BAME communities. I'd need to know the source and context to decide which it was. I'd hazard a wild guess and say it was the Mail in which case it's a bit of both. It's written completely at white over 60s so what they mean there is - you don't need to worry Mail reader as you meet none of the criteria so you're fine.

I know people who will die from it, myself included, who haven't even got a first appointment yet. Don't be so quick to listen to the success of the rollout, it's a shambles of who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I know people who will die from it, myself included, who haven't even got a first appointment yet. Don't be so quick to listen to the success of the rollout, it's a shambles of who you know.

So all 3 million doses have been given out to people "in the know"?!

Also, mortality rates from covid outside of the very elderly are quite low. Unless you are in your 80s you probably wont die from it, and I'm sure your GP wouldve referred you already were you otherwise high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Belated update...(and no I wasnt on the beer all week) :D ...All local pubs open...we will probably leave like last year the most well known for the tourists ;)

Arrived in an low and behold.. all the local musicians there..lovely to sit down and catch up...some had been busking earlier in a nearby town... Had a couple of spirit teas...great to catch up on both sad and happy news..fingertips callus analysis..musicians lost..new songs written...spent part of the evening coming up with ideas for gigs..like rent a band on a lorry for your private garden party!!!

And regarding normal...all hugs and shaking of hands on leaving... sure no point not to...if you have all been sitting together...one step towards normality...roll on the gigs next.... in the meantime support us all and toss whatever coinage you can afford in a buskers hat when in town and forgive us all if we are a bit rusty.. :D

speckle wrote: »
    Belated update...(and no I wasnt on the beer all week) :D ...All local pubs open...we will probably leave like last year the most well known for the tourists ;)

Arrived in an low and behold.. all the local musicians there..lovely to sit down and catch up...some had been busking earlier in a nearby town... Had a couple of spirit teas...great to catch up on both sad and happy news..fingertips callus analysis..musicians lost..new songs written...spent part of the evening coming up with ideas for gigs..like rent a band on a lorry for your private garden party!!!

And regarding normal...all hugs and shaking of hands on leaving... sure no point not to...if you have all been sitting together...one step towards normality...roll on the gigs next.... in the meantime support us all and toss whatever coinage you can afford in a buskers hat when in town and forgive us all if we are a bit rusty.. :D

Know plenty of musicians mad to get back to having dancing lunatics in the pub almost take their teeth out with their mic stand :) Glad to hear you got to catch up, best of luck!
    But... I was kinda hoping to carry the no hugging thing on as part of the new normal :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

went for six pints sunday evening from 7-11 great evening, the two pubs i was in had background music. plenty of hugging and pulling and dragging going on , great to see.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Dickie10 wrote: »
    plenty of hugging and pulling and dragging going on , great to see.!
    That sounds a bit weird, is this a normal thing in your locals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

dragging??? I've only been having pints in the pubs so far sadly no music

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Nah, you're just a moaner, you'll complain when indoor doesn't have bar seating, then when it doesn't have music, then when you can't cough on the barmaid, that's without them asking for you to do something ridiculous like run a tab.

Maybe drinking isn't for you.
    **** off

Whats your ****ing problem with me

Both of you can take a days holidays from the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Why don't we get back to the topic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Necro wrote: »
    Both of you can take a days holidays from the forum

its not PTH2009 who should banned here its that other poster hynesie08, he trolls everyone myself included.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

its not PTH2009 who should banned here its that other poster hynesie08, he trolls everyone myself included.
    And you are now permanently banned from posting in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Seems harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

With Electric Picnic possibly on now last weekend of September, i wonder is that an indication of the timeline for the return of Nightclubs/Discos etc

Maybe opening hours for pubs will get extended in August after the BH with Late bars reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Know plenty of musicians mad to get back to having dancing lunatics in the pub almost take their teeth out with their mic stand :) Glad to hear you got to catch up, best of luck!
    But... I was kinda hoping to carry the no hugging thing on as part of the new normal :'(

Thanks for that... been on both sides of that teeth/mic stand issue lol. Re hugging.. each to their own some will.. . some wont ...and some will or wont depending on the situation... :)

Actually worse still the mad dancing musician who manages to take their own teeth out on their own mic...funniest I ever managed was dancing onstage while not singing..whirling around I managed knock a drum mic out of place yet somehow replace back in situ on my next twirl and then twirl off back laughing to my instrument to play ..glad I have it on video...still dont know how I did it to this day..haha :D

• Advertisement

I feel I've nothing to look forward to. These bastards will be chomping at the bit to cancel the pubs re opening. While case numbers have collapsed you would assume they will start to rise soon enough with the Indian variant nonsense. I seriously don't think they will pass up the opportunity to turn the screw one last time, ideally for them as close to re opening as possible.

I've come to realise, there's only certain pubs the government wants to remain open. Temple Bar pubs. Rural pubs that do food and cater to tourists. Souless dumps and craft bars in the docklands.

What they want closed? Pubs on urban housing estates, "flat roof pubs" as the Brits call them. Small town rundown pubs that have pool tables, a poker machine and about a dozen customers on a weeknight. City centre Dublin pubs that fall outside the tourist trail.

Places where working class men gather, basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

What they want closed? Pubs on urban housing estates, "flat roof pubs" as the Brits call them. Small town rundown pubs that have pool tables, a poker machine and about a dozen customers on a weeknight. City centre Dublin pubs that fall outside the tourist trail.

Places where working class men gather, basically.

What you're missing is the past. If anyone could make a living out of those places any more they'd still be there, fook all to do with the government or covid, they've been shutting down all over the country for the past 20 years.

The ones hanging on were doing well to have a dozen on a weeknight, even if they did, and they had 10 pints each, and you make €2 off every pint... €240 a night, gross. Want to be having some weekends to run a business on that. But you won't because the dozen wanker5 you've been minding all week will take the family to the fancy new place that does food up the road... Can't win.

Enjoying a few pints now

Bar the price of drink any sort of pub drinking is superior than the street/park drinking

Feel we're really getting there when indoor opens hoepfully on schedule

Unless a total meltdown there is no way they can reinforce that stupid €9 meal. I knw it will remain for its original purpose (so under 18s can stay longer at functions etc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Beasty wrote: »

for what teling it as it is, you as well have it in for me,how many messages have you sent me giving me "warnings" for utterly nonsensical stupid things that no one would bat an eye lid at , jesus christ what is wrong with the likes of you, just who the hell do you think you sre some king or something ,you a moderator on a forum mate, dont let it get to your head :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

for what teling it as it is, you as well have it in for me,how many messages have you sent me giving me "warnings" for utterly nonsensical stupid things that no one would bat an eye lid at , jesus christ what is wrong with the likes of you, just who the hell do you think you sre some king or something ,you a moderator on a forum mate, dont let it get to your head
    rolleyes:

Mod

1. If you are threadbanned, it means don't post in the thread.
    2. If you have an issue with a mod instruction, don't challenge on thread. PM them.

Take a week off.

It's is fairly frustrating walking past the indoor area when your heading to the Jack's

3 more weeks only 3 more weeks (that's if a certain person decides no its not safe to open)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Enjoying a few pints now

Bar the price of drink any sort of pub drinking is superior than the street/park drinking

Feel we're really getting there when indoor opens hoepfully on schedule

Unless a total meltdown there is no way they can reinforce that stupid €9 meal. I knw it will remain for its original purpose (so under 18s can stay longer at functions etc)

No. The meal is gone.

saabsaab wrote: »
    No. The meal is gone.

Good riddance to the nuisance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Does anyone know what's with wetherspoons,are they not opening till the 7th?
    passed the one in blanch today was heading for a pint and they have great outdoor seating but it was closed

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

mightyreds wrote: »
    passed the one in blanch today was heading for a pint and they have great outdoor seating but it was closed
    Wetherspoons in Carlow is open, had a few in the Outdoor section

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dun Laoighre and Abbey Street are open I believe. Haven't been in but heard both are open

• Advertisement

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Wetherspoons in Carlow is open, had a few in the Outdoor section
    Dun Laoighre and Abbey Street are open I believe. Haven't been in but heard both are open

Damn, was strange doors look like they hadn't been opened in a while, rubbish had gathered around it like it had blown up against it, all their outdoor benches where stacked on top of each other, there was staff sitting outside one section but not open , had a fine outdoor area.

Damn, was strange doors look like they hadn't been opened in a while, rubbish had gathered around it like it had blown up against it, all their outdoor benches where stacked on top of each other, there was staff sitting outside one section but not open , had a fine outdoor area.

Yeah just from looking at the app it looks like the Blanch one isn't open yet

Was looking at the site but nothing on that thanks, it's a pity even though they are lifeless I love the app table service

I heard the Blanch spoons suffered a major pipe burst/ flood, that's why the labourers are gutting the place out, there's a skip outside near the footpath. Hopefully it's back soon enough, can't beat a 2.95 pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Just back from the local, 8 pints of pure pleasure. Feck the naysayers. You don't what you got till it's gone. And by god, it's good to be back.

Just back from the local, 8 pints of pure pleasure. Feck the naysayers. You don't what you got till it's gone. And by god, it's good to be back.

Beautiful.

I haven't bothered yet, I had my day out in Newry the first weekend they re opened indoors and by God it was glorious :pac:

We on paper have only two pub-less weekends yet and I'm not remotely excited, as I can't shake the feeling that Der Fuhrer will pull the plug on it before July 5th. I'm just waiting for a daily infections surge to 700 or so to give the cunnts an excuse.

The sight of packed stadiums in Denmark, a country with a pretty much similar population to us, and we have 2000 in Croker, 1000 at some League of Ireland, and closed pubs. There should be prosecutions over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Beautiful.

I haven't bothered yet, I had my day out in Newry the first weekend they re opened indoors and by God it was glorious :pac:

We on paper have only two pub-less weekends yet and I'm not remotely excited, as I can't shake the feeling that Der Fuhrer will pull the plug on it before July 5th. I'm just waiting for a daily infections surge to 700 or so to give the cunnts an excuse.

The sight of packed stadiums in Denmark, a country with a pretty much similar population to us, and we have 2000 in Croker, 1000 at some League of Ireland, and closed pubs. There should be prosecutions over this.
    Ya, I know what you mean. Even though all the noises from government suggest that indoor will go ahead as planned on 5th July, it's hard to know for sure. Seeing is believing I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I went up too for a lovely cold pint of strongbow. Thought that would been the first to open given the size of the outdoor area. Soooonnnnn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Jeeze..if this is the case across the country then Pub/restaurants will have to close again...

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0620/1229297-alcohol-streets/

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Jeeze..if this is the case across the country then Pub/restaurants will have to close again...

Open indoors which will be controlled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Proper order

Driving around last week I was amused to see all these “pop up” beer gardens

Some encroaching into the road and down right hazardous to traffic and pedestrians and of course the drinkers themselves

In a big town north Kildare there’s now a beer garden operating On a blind corner of a road.

Like literally out on the road so traffic has to go around the junction blindly then without warning swerve out onto the other side of the road to avoid driving into the beer garden seating.

Only a matter of time before there’s a crash there unfortunately the pub owner just wants to sell liquor and beer to all comers and “f safety” seems to be thrown to the wind.

A free for all is not sustainable

Good to see the guards pushing back

Open indoors which will be controlled

Should certainly be opened for the fully Vacc'd at least...

Proper order
    Driving around last week I was amused to see all these “pop up” beer gardens
    Some encroaching into the road and down right hazardous to traffic and pedestrians and of course the drinkers themselves
    In a big town north Kildare there’s now a beer garden operating On a blind corner of a road.
    Like literally out on the road so traffic has to go around the junction blindly then without warning swerve out onto the other side of the road to avoid driving into the beer garden seating.
    Only a matter of time before there’s a crash there unfortunately the pub owner just wants to sell liquor and beer to all comers and “f safety” seems to be thrown to the wind.
    A free for all is not sustainable
    Good to see the guards pushing back

I agree with the outdoor drinking/dining being a ****e idea..

And if it's in a dangerous location then certainly the councils need to step in and prevent this..

Yeah that isn't gonna happen.

Would assume it'll be sorted quickly. Clearly a few Gardai in Galway were bored over the weekend. Nothing of the like anywhere in Dublin anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I drive for a living and could name a number of other new “pop up beer gardens” in north Kildare which are encroaching into paths and roads thereby creating dangerous hazards

Yesterday I witnessed a middle aged lady in a wheelchair trying to get the attention of a waiter in one of these new “beer gardens” as it was blocking the path and her progress.

They had those canvas “dividers” marking out the beer garden on the path.

I was in a car with kids and couldn’t intervene but it looked like she was under a fair bit of stress over it.

The drinkers seemed oblivious.

I’m sure others can think of more examples in their locality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Haven't most councils waived the outdoor fees anyway? Seems like a few owners taking the piss with the outdoor seating.

The boars head in Dublin is the perfect example of how to do it.

Yeah that isn't gonna happen.

Would assume it'll be sorted quickly. Clearly a few Gardai in Galway were bored over the weekend. Nothing of the like anywhere in Dublin anyway

It's either against the law or it isn't and gardai shouldn't be deciding which ones to enforce or not, at least in an ideal world. Also sounds like they just let the premises know so they can get it resolved or even petition to change the law.

What kind of lockdown loving Holy Joe of a guard was bitter enough to raise this little known loophole? Seriously like, had they nothing better to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What kind of lockdown loving Holy Joe of a guard was bitter enough to raise this little known loophole? Seriously like, had they nothing better to do?

Easier to concentrate on this, than for example doing something about the little scrotes wreaking havoc.

At least they have their priorities in order.

• Advertisement

As said earlier this could of been avoided if they reopened Indoors but no its not safe but it is way safer than some poor souls been run down by a vehicle etc

Advertisement