Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No next Thursday. It’s a wait and see game kind of. It’s why I’ve been not bothering about when pubs were supposed to be opening because like everything, I won’t believe it until it happens.

Feel the same, They've been open how long over in the UK and around Europe and hasn't led to anything major but this is a different beast of virus here and it likes alcohol particularly when its consumed at a indoor hospitality venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Irish people it seems however love the restrictions and want more though...:mad:

Only a tiny minority of reclusive, hate filled PBP voting types.

The sight of friends, couples, attractive young women, drinking in the scraps we have been given (outdoor pubs) is deeply upsetting for these misery merchants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Feel the same, They've been open how long over in the UK and around Europe and hasn't led to anything major but this is a different beast of virus here and it likes alcohol particularly when its consumed at a indoor hospitality venue

The virus does love alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

MOH wrote: »
    If you're going to accuse people of blatant lies, you might want to spend 15 seconds searching to ensure your accusation isn't itself a blatant lie.

That's about how long it took me to find this.

Well indeed, what Harris said there is rather different to what her was accused of saying so my point stands

Word is out that NPHET have recommended Indoor Pubs don't open on the 5th July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Source/Link?

Source/Link?

Saw it on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Saw it on Facebook

Ah yes the bastion of truth. NPHET don't meet until next Thursday

Also it looks like you've based it off a joke from a comedians Facebook page....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hahahahahahahaha........

I needed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Saw it on Facebook

Ah jaysus PTH you’re better than that. Facebook ?

Ah yes the bastion of truth. NPHET don't meet until next Thursday

Also it looks like you've based it off a joke from a comedians Facebook page...

Fan-****ing-tastic

Saw it on Facebook

Yes but can you give us a source or a link? Thats like saying you saw it in the paper,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yes but can you give us a source or a link? Thats like saying you saw it in the paper,

It’s actually much worse than, that most papers verify stuff before printing it. That particular poster is hell bent on finding the negative aspect to every situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Well indeed, what Harris said there is rather different to what her was accused of saying so my point stands

You accused the poster of peddling blatant lies, despite going back and editing the post. Your point does not stand at all.
    Except he didnt say that, but hey keep peddling your lies if it makes you feel good and before a mod comes after me, maybe it should be up to that poster to provide a direct quote? No? Didnt think so, it's a blatant lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Have to say, anybody who thinks NPHET aren't recommending that indoor dining stay closed is either hopelessly naive or being intentionally obtuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Have to say, anybody who thinks NPHET aren't recommending that indoor dining stay closed is either hopelessly naive or being intentionally obtuse.

There’s still no point in posting whataboutery. Especially from the cesspit that is Facebook. Realistically we just have to wait till next Thursday.

Hopefully the date isn’t moved from the 5th. Time to move forward now unless there is a discernible cause of alarm from the new variant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

All ya have to do is listen to the health minister interview this morning where he says it’s too early to make a decision about the 5 July ... sure the decision was made and now he’s rowing back on it . I will be suprised if pubs open indoor Monday week after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

spurshero wrote: »
    All ya have to do is listen to the health minister interview this morning where he says it’s too early to make a decision about the 5 July ... sure the decision was made and now he’s rowing back on it . I will be suprised if pubs open indoor Monday week after that

As I just said in the relaxation of restrictions thread that line was telling. I’m as pissed off as the next person but I’ve gotten to the stage where I’m not wasting energy on **** I can’t control. It may not be a strategy people agree with but it’s one that’s helped me because it’s not good for your health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The general tone of articles on the legacy media seems to tend towards a negative for drinking or eating in a pub. It's just mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

spurshero wrote: »
    Faffing around, just like last summer. Absent a cast-iron yes or no this week, a lot of pubs will not go to the hassle and expense of ordering in stock and hiring staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

PommieBast wrote: »
    Faffing around, just like last summer. Absent a cast-iron yes or no this week, a lot of pubs will not go to the hassle and expense of ordering in stock and hiring staff.

I agree, they need more notice than Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The standard of journalism is shocking,

"as he signalled a July reopening decision could be called as soon as next week."

Well next Thursday is when it's due anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Ugh... who would want to own, run or work in the hospitality trade with all of this going back and forth and back and forth...

And now to see this "kite flying bull****" about the variants, at some stage bite the bullet and drive the vaccinations harder but go with the flow of opening up.

And travel..... let us travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

I don't understand the wording in that article...

If you're being told that if you're vaccinated, live your life but then you're told of a potential 4th wave which is concerning, that may pause life yet again, whilst the majority of the country have gotten at least one jab of the vaccine, what's the point?

All seems like bull**** to me. Feel sorry for those who need the pubs and clubs to earn a living.

Wasn't planning on heading for a few pints today but with the ****e that's been said today I'm going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 honirelandboy

rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0623/1230883-hiqa-coronavirus/

Who knew the healthier you are the less the virus affects you.
    Rte running out of scaremongering now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Wasn't planning on heading for a few pints today but with the ****e that's been said today I'm going
    Same. At least they can't roll back on outdoor hospitality, right...:o

Same. At least they can't roll back on outdoor hospitality, right...:o

Believe me they will try

You accused the poster of peddling blatant lies, despite going back and editing the post. Your point does not stand at all.

Post i was replying to and calling a lie was this one that said Harris
    said that pubs would never re open until after the vaccine would be rolled out?

That is not what Harris said, what he actually said was
    So I can't see how people can be in packed pubs again as long as this virus is still with us and we don't have a vaccine or an effective treatment.

Neither was he blase about or even suggest that hospitality would be shut for 3 years. reaosn i edited my post was i had posted twice and between quoting posts and quoting quotes it was a bit of a mess, thats all

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »

Saw my local taking a delivery this morning.

Think every pub in the country got deliveries today. Business is booming for them thankfully

The musicians, poets and comedians who perform in these pubs/clubs...Not so much sadly

MOR316 wrote: »
    Think every pub in the country got deliveries today. Business is booming for them thankfully

The musicians, poets and comedians who perform in these pubs/clubs...Not so much sadly

Ya but this is a pub closed at the moment, no room for outdoor. He was reopening July 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Ya but this is a pub closed at the moment, no room for outdoor. He was reopening July 5th

He'll get some shock if it's delayed, probably what 5-6k on kegs delivered

In my mind, he won't be now unfortunately... :(

Takeaway service?

Believe me they will try

Not really though.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Not really though.

I can't imagine they will but, there's always a nagging part of me that's just expecting NPHET to go back a step or two.

It's happened before so I guess I'll always be weary of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

MOR316 wrote: »
    I can't imagine they will but, there's always a nagging part of me that's just expecting NPHET to go back a step or two.

It's happened before so I guess I'll always be weary of it.

Anything is possible they have 0 opposition to anything they do so it is possible - improbable definitely but with the level of freedom they have they can really do anything they want.

mightyreds wrote: »
    Anything is possible they have 0 opposition to anything they do so it is possible - improbable definitely but with the level of freedom they have they can really do anything they want.

My concern is, why are people who are unelected calling the shots in a democracy?

It's massively messed up. They're an advisory board. Nothing more! Why are Government leaders saying, "Yeah, whatever NPHET say we'll do"

Madness...

EDIT: Wrong thread

• Advertisement

A two to three week delay would potentially bring us to July 26th.

There's more chance of England winning the Euros than Tony Holohan allowing the first weekend re opened to be a fcuking bank holiday. There's more chance of them closing the beer gardens than opening the indoors by then IMO.

Into August we go so. Pathetic ****ing morons in government- yesterday afternoon Mehole categorically stated that the rise of Indian variant posed no risk to the plan, that we were on track.

Yesterday afternoon.

This morning at 6:30am I open up the Independent app to see that he flip flopped on it at some point after I went to bed the night before.

Micheal Martin is quite litereally David Brent.
    avid Brent : I gave a speech only this morning to my staff assuring them that there would not be cutbacks at this branch and there certainly wouldn't be redundancies, so...

Jennifer Taylor-Clark : Well, why on Earth would you do that?

David Brent : Why? Oh, don't know. A little word I think's important in management called morale.

Jennifer Taylor-Clark : Well, surely it's going to be worse for morale in the long run when there ARE redundancies and you've told people that there won't be.

[pause]

David Brent : They won't remember.

Does the man actually need a psych evaluation? Is he fully there? WTF difference was there in the info he had yesterday morning vs what he was told last night?

I recall a Scotland match vs Kazakhstan where they got battered 3- 0, there were genuine calls for the manager to have a psych evaluation when he claimed that they started well despite having gone a goal down three minutes in, genuine calls to say he was mentally crumbling and needed removing.

Is MM actually all there upstairs? To come out with this guff at midday, to flip flop by 10pm?

He has already stated that he will follow the NPHET orders, rather than sit down and look at the England figures himself and realise that the virus is HARMING NEXT TO ****ING NOBODY. Young people, by and large, will not die or suffer long lasting effects from this. Vaccinated people, especially double vaccinated, will not get anything off it. Regular folks in their early 50's are now double vaxxed never mind the elderly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Hopefully they don't get the rug yanked from underneath them, but given the government's track record it is a real risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't think there will be a delay but some conditions may be brought in. eg ventilation, numbers inside, drink limits, closing times etc.. at least for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't think tere will be a delay but some conditions may be brought in. eg ventilation, numbers inside, drink limits, closing times etc.. at least for a few weeks.

Can definitely see it being table service only so numbers inside are going to be limited imo. Closing could still be kept to an earlier time or not.. After that there are no way to impose or enforce drink limits.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Can definitely see it being table service only so numbers inside are going to be limited imo. Closing could still be kept to an earlier time or not.. After that there are no way to impose or enforce drink limits.

It was never not going to be table service, I don't know a single person in the industry who isn't expecting that.

I don't think there will be a delay but some conditions may be brought in. eg ventilation, numbers inside, drink limits, closing times etc.. at least for a few weeks.

HAHA drink limits.Look Paddy your only allowed 4 pints tonight and then off home with you. Heard it all now lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

HAHA drink limits.Look Paddy your only allowed 4 pints tonight and then off home with you. Heard it all now lol

Well we'll see, all up in the air at the moment. Where did you get only 4 pints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

They will bring in silly rules that will be largely unenforced, same as Christmas and last summer.

Guidelines drawn up by usual public servant complete lack of knowledge of how the real world works to the fore again.

Well we'll see, all up in the air at the moment. Where did you get only 4 pints?

Not a chance there being drink limits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ah now lads drink limits! come on. BUT i would be 80:20 that the pubs will not open for indoor dining til about august 8th at least , who knows after that. we all know at this stage tony would love to keep them shut forever.

Post i was replying to and calling a lie was this one that said Harris

That is not what Harris said, what he actually said was

Neither was he blase about or even suggest that hospitality would be shut for 3 years. reaosn i edited my post was i had posted twice and between quoting posts and quoting quotes it was a bit of a mess, thats all

As thick as he is, as health minister Harris would have been aware that the general consensus was that a vaccine was at least three years away, due to both inventing the damn thing and it going through rigourous safety trials.

Now, as we all know, desperation has meant that these safety trials have been less rigourous than any other vaccine in history. There have been consequences to this, primarily only in women of under circa 50, to which the mantra has changed from "the vaccine is safe" to "the vaccine is very safe". I'll take mine, as men seem to have ha little to reported issues. If I were a young- ish woman I'd be wary, frankly.

But aside from all of that the point still stands- Simon Harris would have been advised in March/ April 2020 that a vaccine was likely 3 plus years away.

Simon Harris was of the opinion that crowded pubs, gigs, live sport, nightclubs could all go into hibernation for three years, maybe more, and sure, that's life.

To add insult to injury he gave the interview to the Indo who put it behind a paywall. Our health minister was having brainfarts on national policy that the majority of people were only given the headline grabbing quote of.

An absolute buffoon of a man. It says a lot about him and his attitude to youthful hijinks that he was health minister while still in his 20's championing minimum alcohol pricing legislation.

Fact of the matter is, none of these people care. Do you think Harris, or Ronan Glynn, or De Gascun, regularly set foot in pubs? When Glynn was filling in for Holohan for a few months he made Tony look like Liam Gallagher in the craic and charisma stakes, I can't exactly imagine him stumbling down Camden St at 4am on a regular basis. Our policy is being directed by advisors and their sycophant politicians who couldn't give a shyte about re opening pubs as they have little personal interest in going to them.

Say what you want about Boris Johnson, from the start of this his demeanor and his actions have been of a man just as eager to get out for a pint as the rest of us are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement